OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Skippy

First post here, copied from my post on OSW. Still finding my way around this page - it's all so new and confusing. :lol

Furiosa is one of VTS' best figures. Really intricately detailed.

She just happens to be very petite at only 10.5" from boots soles to the top of her head.

They used their smallest body and didn't even add ankle extenders. As Charlize Theron's character she scales at 1/6.65. So not much use for displaying with their Max, nor any 1/6 figure unless you resolve yourself to the idea that this is either teenage Furiosa from an unmade prequel, or merely a generic one-armed post-apocalyptic teen .

And that's what I did. Sounds like quite a few customers cancelled when given the option by their retailers, but I love this figure for what she is.

The sculpt is one of those that's hard to photograph, as in hand the paint and detail is nice. Camera flash here is killing it, but I'm no photographer.

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 ESoafhl

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Vyjr8hF

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 YxEwUS7

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 8VA6qv6

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 16EyXkI

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 88wSc9q

Hot Toys' Jyn here is perfectly scaled for the 5' 3" Felicity Jones, whereas Charlize is over 5' 9":

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 3l6c1iV

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I've seen someone over at the Freaks swapped out the body (I think), and added ankle extenders. I honestly think it looks worse with the ankle extenders added, cause now it looks like she's some kind of mutant with really long skinny legs. I didn't say anything over there, as most of those people are too clicky and very sensitive.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I've seen someone over at the Freaks swapped out the body (I think), and added ankle extenders. I honestly think it looks worse with the ankle extenders added, cause now it looks like she's some kind of mutant with really long skinny legs. I didn't say anything over there, as most of those people are too clicky and very sensitive.

I think that would be the HT Pepper Potts body, with the Furiosa arms plugged onto it.

It did look odd. That's why I took the extenders out of mine.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the extra photos, Asta. I was very divided on this one, and after plenty of mental flip-flopping, decided to cancel my pre-order. I don't know if it was the right decision or whether I will end up regretting it. It would be exceedingly difficult to make a good custom Furiosa without this set, but as is being brought up time and again, it is just designed at too small a scale.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for the extra photos, Asta. I was very divided on this one, and after plenty of mental flip-flopping, decided to cancel my pre-order. I don't know if it was the right decision or whether I will end up regretting it. It would be exceedingly difficult to make a good custom Furiosa without this set, but as is being brought up time and again, it is just designed at too small a scale.

Yes, if you really want a 1/6 scale Furiosa, then this isn't a figure to buy. She'll only work if you separate her completely so that you have no scale reference.

When I made my decision that she was no longer Fury Road Furiosa I gave her stand to the Art Figures Max, and let her have his plain black stand. And I added the chunky watch to cover her wrist joint.

I quite like the extra variety in figure heights. I have the little Asmus X23 Lauras, Kumik's Mathilda, CGL's John Connor and Carl Grimes, and now Furiosa and the matching DAM IDF girls, and the larger PopToys type bodies that are often used by companies for unlicensed figures.

blackpool

blackpool
I just grabbed her for 110$, at that price I couldn't resist, it seems that a lot fo people cancelled their order, for those interested to grab the pieces, it's a fair deal!

I'll post some pics as soon as I get her, and I'll surely try to swap the body to increase a little the height. Not very scared about the head being undersized, hot toys recently enlarged their headsculpts and bodies on female figures.

Anyway I'll keep you posted Smile

Andrew

Andrew
Managed to sell mine on sharpish thank goodness, not long after it arrived from Kit. She looks very young in the photos. Reminded me more of Eleven than Charlize

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

blackpool

blackpool
VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 32358999_205805633477889_6150755628752044032_n

Here is a in hand shot from an instagram friend, the hight difference is not that crazy...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Max is scooched a bit there though, and it's a low angle. You can get away with a lot with the right camera angle.

I think we should chalk this up as a wasted opportunity and move on

CHEERS!

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
OH . . .

Where do I begin?

I held off on commenting until after I read all the posts/replies here.

Ever since Furiosa was released, I read much complaints, criticisms, and vitriol to the point of beating a dead horse.

Yes.

We collectors got screwed over by VTS / DAM. Kudos to Steve at Timewalker for offering an "out" to those who wanted an "out" on their pre-order.

Here is the thing though. There are collectors who knew of the height issue PRIOR to paying for / receiving their pre-orders given the buzz about the figure prior to its formal release as well as a variety of in hand pictures online from Asia before it reached the US.

Even with that . . . the discussion has been ongoing consistency with basically complaints about the figure's height.

It's done. It's over with. VTS / DAM will never apologize let alone acknowledge they screwed up.

There are many discussions about how to salvage it, etc.

My question is how come those who knew ahead of time of the height issue still purchased it and still complaining almost non-stop about it?

It's mind boggling. I admit I too have posted much vitriol in the past about certain failures and let down such as how PHICEN screwed up Bettie Page, but over the time I let it go like Elsa from Disney's Frozen. I comprehend and understand the anger and disappointment by many. I really do, but again this is akin to non-stop beating a dead horse.

OH, WELL.

Skippy

DeltaForceChung wrote:My question is how come those who knew ahead of time of the height issue still purchased it and still complaining almost non-stop about it?

It's mind boggling.  I admit I too have posted much vitriol in the past about certain failures and let down such as how PHICEN screwed up Bettie Page, but over the time I let it go like Elsa from Disney's Frozen.  I comprehend and understand the anger and disappointment by many.  I really do, but again this is akin to non-stop beating a dead horse.

OH, WELL.

If there's a horse to beat some people just can't help beating it. They won't stop until the horse is dead.

Since the horse will never die, these people will go on and on. I guess that's the definition of a 'troll'. And that's when message boards start to get so depressing. Everything is tainted with so much negativity, with little give or take, or a more constructive approach. It's as though some people just want you to be as miserable as they are!

I knew Furiosa was going to be very short, but I wasn't going to cancel my order with Kit because I wanted her.

She scales at 1/6.65 if you consider her to be Charlize Theron. Some are trying to port her over to a larger body, but I think the results are mixed.

I tried ankle pegs to make her taller, but I really prefer her stock, petite proportions. I like how she looks along side other figures, as a post-apocalyptic teenager. She reminds me more of an older Eleven from Stranger Things.

She is what she is, and I really like her. Can't fault the intricacy and detailing in the outfit and accessories.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta has the right attitude for anyone who bought this, knowing what they were getting, and can appreciate it for what it is. I canceled my PO. I almost missed out on their Max figure, until I saw in-hand pics, and then I was able to get the last slot at Timewalker, but that was only after I saw the PO announcement for Furiosa. I really only purchased Max because of her. And like a lot of people, I assumed, since he turned out so good, that she would too. And after a long delay, we get this. Now, I have no intention of getting rid of Max, because it really is a cool figure, but it is immensely disappointing how badly Furiosa turned out, and I’m bummed I don’t get to add her to the collection. But, yeah, all the people who kept their order when they were given the chance to drop it, and still keep complaining... that’s just plain stupid.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:And like a lot of people, I assumed, since he turned out so good, that she would too. And after a long delay, we get this. Now, I have no intention of getting rid of Max, because it really is a cool figure, but it is immensely disappointing how badly Furiosa turned out, and I’m bummed I don’t get to add her to the collection.

The Furiosa issue has undoubtedly sent shock waves through the hobby. Other companies have surely noted this, and may see an opportunity to cash in on the disappointment.

Art Figures is one of the more likely companies. They seemed to be in direct competition with VTS for a time by releasing versions of the same figures.

The snag will be finding a mass produced body that will satisfy customers in terms of scale and quality, while keeping the price reasonable for a figure that requires a fair bit of complexity.

VTS cut one big corner to keep the price down.

But never say never!

blackpool

blackpool
I received mine, and honestly I had two big surprises... Sorry in advance for the lil rant, but I'm a bit tired of the regular super exagerated criticism and negativity that often comes with the wolfpack effect...

First the headsculpt quality, both the sculpting and the painting are beyond good, she has a strong likeness under most angles, and the details are really well executed... So next time I read that it has nothing to do with the quality of pictures, I take my shotgun... The poor pictures that were displayed as first in hands pics were so freaking ugly I honestly think it was made on purpose to create a negative buzz on the figure, Seriously!

Apart from the size of the figure, the only major difference from the promo shots is the black oil war paint on her forehead. Nothing to discuss on that point, it is totally different, BUT it is not an excuse to call the figure bulshit from A to Z and claim it has nothing to do with the prototype... The tailoring, the armor parts and mecha-arm, all the guns, everything is 99% identical to the promo shots, and having watched again fury road recently, very accurate to the movie.
Again I don't understand people saying it is a "complete" failure... that sounds dishonest, even more from people that only rely on a couple of poor phone pics... I can take poor pics of any hot toys figure if needed guys...

Now about the size, I totally agree she is petite, definitely VTS made a big mistake not especially on furiosa, but between furiosa and max. I have the "mad racer" from art figures on which I just swapped the head for the el1ev1en version, and the size difference is not as crazy, he is only one head taller than her which sounds quite normal... So my thought is VTS mistake is 50% on furiosa and 50% on max that has an oversized head, and is a bit too tall as well.
On that part I totally understand the disapointment and the cancelled orders as the logic plan is to display them side by side!

As for some strong criticism, the very ugly part of both these figures are the molded boots, max has some laced brown shoes, nothing to do with his biker boots in the movie, and furiosa has some tactical grey boots, just as ugly and totally inacurate, plus they are very limitating for the posing.

Skippy

blackpool wrote:As for some strong criticism, the very ugly part of both these figures are the molded boots, max has some laced brown shoes, nothing to do with his biker boots in the movie, and furiosa has some tactical grey boots, just as ugly and totally inacurate, plus they are very limitating for the posing.

Without going and looking I think they got Max's boots right. He wore the lace-up ones after his iconic biker boots were taken.

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 92b02473c465ce19d8cecd92f3a22310

The black lines on Furiosa's boots aren't laces, but a heavy handed approximation of the creases in the leather. VTS' design is pretty close, but the real boots themselves look a bit different in photos. For example, the placement of the flap that goes over the toe:

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Caaa03109f537703e3e8b34fffe090fc

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa-Boot-Side-Fight-2

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 922b9a3c0317b7631118ff11f8477524

blackpool

blackpool
You're right on the "heavy approximation", seeing your reference pictures I think what gives me this feeling is both the deep leather creases that look more like laces than stitched leather, and the side straps that are missing on the VTS rendition...

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 6469795352151491365

As for Max's boots, I was thinking about "his" original boots yes, the iconic ones (btw in the movie he looses one only during the storm chase, and replaces it with one from the remaining warboy, in the end we don't know where he got his tactical laced boots which he wears on the second half of the movie lol)

VTS Toys 1/6 Wasteland Ranger - Furiosa (Do Venders Have an Out?; UPDATED: 5/18/18) - Page 3 Mad%2BMax%2BFury%2BRoad%2Bleg%2Bbrace

Skippy

Looking again at Furiosa's boots, it looks like three different pairs.

The first one has the toe strap but no side strap.

The second has the side strap, but no toestrap.

The third has both.

confused

blackpool

blackpool
Asta wrote:Looking again at Furiosa's boots, it looks like three different pairs.

The first one has the toe strap but no side strap.

The second has the side strap, but no toestrap.

The third has both.

confused

I was confused too looking at them lol, indeed you're right I think they are three different pairs, the stitches on the toe area are different too... surprising!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It wouldn't be the first time a film used multiple props that weren't quite identical and didn't ensure complete continuity.

dadrab

dadrab
I kind of get a kick out of the "pack mentality" that seems to run rampant on forums and Spacebook and the like. People really feel like the "shield of anonymity" applies to them. Indeed, it does not. 'Nuff said.

What it really boils down to is, if you wouldn't make the comment to someone's face, why would you do so on-line? I actually had someone who lives just down the street from me put up a post through a neighborhood Spacebook page calling me out on a financial decision a group I was in made for our neighborhood. He talked some pretty serious trash and mentioned a bonfire in my front yard. I walked down to his house and, when his wife finally got him to the door (chickensh!t), politely reminded him that he probably ought not to talk garbage he's not prepared to dispose of...so to speak.

Then, he gets on-line and tried to walk it back. Truth be known, I didn't really care then and still don't. We did the right thing.

But the point is, and this really scares me, that we've bred a generation of on-line lions that are real-life candy asses.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
dadrab wrote:I kind of get a kick out of the "pack mentality" that seems to run rampant on forums and Spacebook and the like. People really feel like the "shield of anonymity" applies to them. Indeed, it does not. 'Nuff said.

What it really boils down to is, if you wouldn't make the comment to someone's face, why would you do so on-line? I actually had someone who lives just down the street from me put up a post through a neighborhood Spacebook page calling me out on a financial decision a group I was in made for our neighborhood. He talked some pretty serious trash and mentioned a bonfire in my front yard. I walked down to his house and, when his wife finally got him to the door (chickensh!t), politely reminded him that he probably ought not to talk garbage he's not prepared to dispose of...so to speak.

Then, he gets on-line and tried to walk it back. Truth be known, I didn't really care then and still don't. We did the right thing.

But the point is, and this really scares me, that we've bred a generation of on-line lions that are real-life candy asses.

--

BELIEVE IT OR NOT . . .

I've been told throughout the years that when people online actually meet me in person they're completely surprised at how cordial and polite I am, but the fact and truth is I'll still convey my perspectives and views in person as I do online so for me there is not much to hide.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I just want mine to come in!!!!  Give me my toys!  tongue

Being that the boots were that inconsistent in the movie, I'm really not going to gripe on the figures.  I think both Furiosa's and Max's look close enough that it won't bother me.  I'm not a big fan of molded boots in general, so of course I'd have preferred a nicer fabric boot on both figures.  But like Striker pointed out early in this thread, it's an unlicenced figure for around $100 less than a HT one would be.  For that, I won't sweat molded boots and a few slightly off details.  I'll see how I feel about the height when mine finally comes in.

My big question, for you guys who got yours, is how is that seamless arm?  Phicen has pretty much spoiled us with steel skeletons, so I was curious about this one.  Does it move well?  What's the outer material like in comparison?  Are you worried at all about the armature breaking inside?

And Dadrab, I 100% agree with you on about the balls people seem to grow from the anonymity of the internet.  It's not just the anonymity, although that plays a BIG part, but  something about the lack of all of the stimuli you get from actual conversation, subconscious visual and vocal cues, that lets your brain forget you're dealing with an actual other human being.  It allows people to be less empathetic and quicker to anger.  There's concern that, as we spend more time communicating like this, it effect's young people's learning and development of basic empathy skills, such as maintaining eye contact or noticing subtle nonverbal cues during a conversation.  I wish it were just generational, but it seems to effect people of all age groups.  Studies show that empathy is learned, but can be un-learned as well, and we're sensitive to these effects of technology regardless of age.  Concepts like compassion fatigue, and desensitization from the constant bombardment of extreme emotional stimuli can have an effect on anyone.

So this is a public service announcement.  Be kind people.  Remember to be kind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum