OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product Review - SideShow Dengar

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

scalawag

scalawag
My Dengar figure from SideShow arrived today along with his pal Zuckuss.  The extra wait is typical of the UK 1/6 market, but they are here now. cheers  cheers  cheers

On to what I think of this figure.
I have been waiting, mostly patiently, for someone to release a good interpretation of Dengar the Bounty Hunter from TESB.  Up till now this character has been filled in my collection by the Hasbro 12" offering, which, whilst OK after a bit of extra paintwork being done, still leaves a lot to be desired when displayed alongside my other Bounty Hunters (now all SideShow).

Once this Figure was announced I knew it would be in my collection.  I bought it via dandyisland.com here in the UK as they then handle all the import etc.  It does mean paying a bit more and the extra wait, but I know what I am paying up front with no extra charges on delivery Very Happy .  As soon as they had it to preorder I preordered.

Packing
The figure itself comes in the now standard SideShow Star Wars packaging.  A brown outer packing box, then the black with grey accents Box which has 3 different 3/4 length photos of the figure, one on each of the front, back, and inside the flap.  The flap is magnetically held closed and opens to reveal the figure itself behind a clear window, and the previously mentioned photo of the figure.
Now, upon opening this box it seemed to me as though SideShow might have used a slightly thinner cardboard than I had previously seen, and indeed comparing the box to older SideShow Star Wars boxes it does seem very marginally but noticeably thinner!!!  Both this box and the one Zuckuss came in also had the seam which closed the box coming apart at the top.  It seems as though there might not have been enough glue used to construct the box.  Minor things sure but with this being a collector figure I would not expect SideShow to be skimping on packaging as I think they may have been here, especially at the price point.

The figure itself is cocooned in a clear plastic shell along with his weapons, and has a second clear plastic shell beneath with the stand, backpack and spare hands.  This is all fine and seems to hold all the parts well for transit as nothing had moved.

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar 7VAb8VZ

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar 293F61a

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar 5NUvA1N

The Figure
The figure itself is I think a very, very, good rendition of the movie character, and certainly the best that has been available in this scale to date.  The proportions seem good, and the level of detail is good given the source material SideShow had available must have been quite limited.  We only see Dengar for a few seconds in TESB and again in very shadowy scenes in Jabba's palace in ROTJ.  Other than this we only have a very limited number of promotional stills in which Dengar seems to have switched weapons with 4-LOM!!

The feet seem well done, although the nature of the boots he is wearing make the right boot look more like a left boot from certain angles.  
The armour is crisp and well represented, the base colour looks good, and the over all impression is good.  Dengars armour in the still photos available does look a bit more worn, and whilst there is some weathering on the figures armour, a little bit more might have been welcome.  
The backpack is superb with individual parts and straps all very well done.  It attaches to the back of the figure with a magnet and seems to hold well.  The other pouches etc are all well done, but i did need to pad out the one on the left hip a little to get the exact look I was after.

The weapons supplied are good.  The blaster pistol is excellent, and is a tight fit for the leather holster which is riveted to the leg armour, and has a magnetic retention strap.  The MG42 used to represent the Blaster Rifle which appears in TESB is also a very nice piece.  It is of course different from the blaster seen in the promo pics as this was MG34 based.  
As has been mentioned in other reviews of this figure, the MG42 used in the film seems to have had the butt stock removed, whereas the one supplied here still has the stock attached.  It is a small detail, but it would have been nice if SideShow had spotted this.

I think the head sculpt on this figure is very good, the scaring to the right cheek, eyes and the skin tone seem spot on to me.  
Some have said a cloth turban instead of the moulded rubber one would have been nice, but I actually like the idea of the moulded one.  That said, to me the angle at the front of the turban formed where the wraps overlap is a bit too shallow to be screen accurate.  I found it difficult to get the "right" look with it, but found a position for it which I am happy with in the end.  
I like the cloth cowl/hood which I think looks very good when positioned well.  
Mine arrived with the cowl outside the breast plate, but movie stills seem to show the front tucked under the armour, with the lip on the edge of the neck of the armour visible.  This is easily remedied and the cowl looks spot on to my eyes once tucked under the armour.

I think that the basic articulation of the figure is actually pretty good, however many of the joints are limited in their movement by the padded under suit.  It would be great if SideShow and other manufacturers could find a way to use these padded under suits, which are essential to the look of the figure, without them limiting the otherwise excellent articulation.  
Fortunately I tend to play with a figure until I have a pose with which I am happy, and then I display them and largely leave them alone.  If you like to repose figures regularly or to change the pose for photography etc.. then the limit on the movement of this figure created by the under suit and general costuming may be frustrating.
I would also have liked it if the hands were just a little bit softer.  They aren't exactly hard to position on accessories, but if they were just a tad softer it would make this easier.

There is the included hexagonal black stand with the Star Wars logo on the bottom of it, which is pretty standard for SideShow, but other extras are limited to the weapons and 3 sets of alternative hands.  I suppose an MG34 as seen in the promo pics might have been a nice addition for anyone who wanted to follow that look, but that may be a bit tenuous to include as an extra scratch .  
It is difficult to see what other extras SideShow might have included, but at the price point it might have been nice if they imagined up something else to put in the box.

Conclusions
I love this figure Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It closes a hole in my Bounty Hunter collection that I have been looking to fill for a number of years.  A reasonably film accurate pose can be achieved even though we only really see him in TESB in one pose for a few seconds at most, and I think he looks great alongside the rest of his Bounty Hunter chums.  
It really is nice to have a decent looking Dengar at last, and whilst there are some things I think could have been done differently it is still a great figure and one that any Star Wars Bounty Hunter fan surely ought to have.

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar STpkv3I
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar WzSasrp
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Wk2a00z
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar YXOENtc
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar NfMZCUn

A couple of pics with the Hasbro 12" Dengar he replaces for reference.

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar WrHrzdL
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar VXCQVS9

and a pic with Zuckuss, and with all his TESB Bounty Hunter mates Very Happy

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar ThFMDIK
productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar 6PTXT2s

Thanks for taking the time to read this, And I hope it was useful.  

All comments are as always welcome.

#productreview #sideshow #starwars #empirestrikesback #film #bountyhunter #male

2productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice review and photos. And happy your bounty hunter fellowship is now complete.

3productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice review and photos. And happy your bounty hunter fellowship is now complete.

Thanks mate.

I am very pleased now that I have this figure in hand.

Glad you like the review, its a bit brief but I think it gives my overall impression of the figure. Wink

4productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very thorough review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your collection looks pretty good. Glad for you that your able to fill out your bounty hunters.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar C8485110

5productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Very thorough review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You looks pretty good. Glad for you that your able to fill out your bounty hunters.

Thanks mate,

I could probably have written more on this one, but I know that there are some reviews already, and I thought this more brief look would also pass on most of my thoughts on this one.
I have Zuckuss to look at too Shocked more on him later Wink

It is nice to have my Bounty Hunters with a more harmonised look lol. Laughing Laughing

6productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm

dadrab

dadrab
Excellent.

A collection for the ages.

7productreview - Product Review - SideShow Dengar Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Dengar Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

scalawag

scalawag
dadrab wrote:Excellent.

A collection for the ages.

Thanks dadrab, I'm pleased you like them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum