OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Another new (or more accurately redone) character for the House of Seasons.  Koda's story took me a bit to get right, but I'm really happy with it now.

If you're just checking out The House of Seasons characters, and want to start with a bit of background and read in the order the characters were introduced:

Alice of Autumn (And intro to the world of House of Seasons) - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t755-alice-of-autumn-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

Isblomma of Winter - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t855-isblomma-of-winter-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

Thornapple Maudsley - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t955-thornapple-maudsley-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

And now, Koda

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda037_1_orig

When Alice was ten, her family visited the House of Summer.  While her parents petitioned Summer for more aid in the war against Barlow, Alice was left to play in the expansive gardens, where she met the boy.  He was about her age, with white hair, and eyes that were two different colors.  While the irises of both were a bright red, the left eye was set against a black so deep, it looked like the iris floated and glowed in a bottomless darkness.  He told her that he had escaped from the catacombs below the main house, where he had been caged his whole life.  His days were full of torturous experiments and brutal training, with the goal of crafting him into some sort of weapon.

Even at her young age, Alice's sense of justice was intense and immovable, and she spent the day helping him navigate the woods and aiding in his escape, her fancy court dress torn and stained with mud as they ran.  He had no name, and was referred to by his keepers simply as "the dog,"  so Alice decided to name him Koda after a stuffed toy she had.  

It was near dusk when the riders caught up to them.  There were at least twenty, and Koda killed close to half of them before they managed to subdue him.  He fought like a cornered animal, and Alice had never seen anything with that speed, strength, and sheer savagery.

A powerful witch took her memories of the day, before returning her to her parents, claiming that she had simply gotten lost in the woods.  They were skeptical.  As the daughter to the House of Autumn, she shared a deep connection to the wild lands, and the idea of her becoming lost was almost unimaginable.  Still, their need for help from the House of Summer was so great, they agreed to put the incident behind them.  To this day, Alice will still wake from dreams she can't quite recall with a feeling of some important memories just out of reach.  For Koda, Alice's help and kindness may be the only he has ever known, but that single day has remained powerful in shaping who he has become.  

The Queen of Summer was deeply paranoid, and believed in conspiracies all around, with all set against her.  She wanted a weapon unparalleled, an unstoppable assassin she could use to carry out any feat, no matter how impossible.  She tasked a number of unscrupulous witches that had long been shunned for delving into the blackest of arts with instructions to "cross the boundaries that no one else will cross" and to bring her something truly unequaled. What followed were a series of secret experiments that delved in to the darkest depths of the arcane world.  One witch, whose name was scrubbed from all records, disappeared for three weeks.  When she returned, she was pregnant, claiming the father to be a greater demon and a prince of Hell.  It is believed she died during childbirth, although the disappearance of her body immediately afterward has led to some speculation.

Koda truly was a creature like no other, and has been raised since birth to be a living weapon.  As half demon, he is inhumanly fast and strong, and trained in combat from the moment he was old enough, til his every movement became defined by it.  Any wounds quickly heal, an ability that has been used to unusual results.  If a body part is severed, he can sense it's direction and he has used bits of himself to track his prey over great distances.  Bones were removed from his legs to fashion the handles of knives that would always be an extension of himself, and he regrew them within days.  As he got older, his demonic powers proved beyond control, so his right arm was bound in sacred wraps, not to suppress but to channel and control it.  A patch was fashioned to seal his demonic eye, which would insatiably devour the magikal energies around him.  After his childhood escape, his chest was cut open and a seal was placed on his heart, the corresponding carved bloodstone talisman the final means of control should he prove too willful and uncooperative.  He was well educated, in the hopes that it would make him clever and resourceful, but the aim was always the same - to craft him into a monster that only the queen could control.  But while he has faithfully served the queen of Summer so far, he has never lost sight of his goal of freedom, always plotting and looking for his opportunity.

The night that Alice arrived in Equinox to attend Balefire, eight years after her childhood encounter with him, Koda was sent to kill her aboard her airship, in an attempt to destroy an already weakened great house.  Her death could be blamed on Barlow, and the House of Summer could manipulate events to expand royal control in Equinox.  But when Koda recognized her from all those years ago, he refused his orders, and for the first time, failed to carry out an assignment.  Seeing her again changed something in him, and his patient and meticulous planning began to fall to a new intensity, an undeniable need to be free of his captivity, to find out what he could be, beyond a tool of Summer's mad queen.  He would need to work quickly.  But if free, would that one small kindness from years ago be seed enough to grow his humanity, or would he just become the monster he was created to be?

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda001_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda002_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda003_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda004_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda005_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda006_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda007_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda008_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda009_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda010_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda011_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda012_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda013_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda014_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda015_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda016_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda017_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda018_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda019_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda020_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda021_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda022_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda023_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda024_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda025_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda026_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda027_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda028_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda029_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda030_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda031_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda032_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda033_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda034_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda035_orig

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons Koda036_orig

http://reverendspooky.com

PureEnergy

Fantastic figuring and wonderful storytelling, Spooky.  

I am intrigued, and will certainly be catching up on this…  

Among my favorite lines from this installment:  

“While the irises of both were a bright red, the left eye was set against a black so deep, it looked like the iris floated and glowed in a bottomless darkness.”

“She tasked a number of unscrupulous witches that had long been shunned for delving into the blackest of arts with instructions to ‘cross the boundaries that no one else will cross.’”

“Seeing her again changed something in him, and his patient and meticulous planning began to fall to a new intensity, an undeniable need to be free of his captivity, to find out what he could be, beyond a tool of Summer's mad queen.  He would need to work quickly.  But if free, would that one small kindness from years ago be seed enough to grow his humanity, or would he just become the monster he was created to be?”  

Very well done, sir.  

PS: “Koda” - perhaps as in coda, or the conclusion of something?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another stylish and beautifully-done character for your increasingly complex fantasy world (enjoyed the backstory too).

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wonderful Figure and Character Background. The Equipment is Amazing. In Your Threads i love the posing, You are a master in that Style

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Beautiful photos as usual, Rev. Your characters are always so complex, and the costumes, accessories, etc., so involved; not to mention the natural and life-like posing of your figures. But that back-story — Just awesome! He’s like your own Hellboy. Very cool. I saw this last night, but I was getting tired, and the pain meds were finally kicking in, so I had to wait until this morning to be able to read it and enjoy the photos while fully awake. And I wasn’t disappointed (not that I thought I would be). BRAVO!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Koda - From the World of House of Seasons C8485110

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Seriously, thank you all.  Your words always mean a ton to me.  I always worry that no one wants to slog through a ton of backstory, so you guys taking the time to read these, that you enjoy them is simply huge for me.  

PureEnergy, I'm glad you dug those lines!  I'm always trying to keep these backstories entertaining to read and give a feel for the characters and the world, but still keep them concise.  So It's good to know when I hit the right tone.  And you're definitely on to something with his name.  There's a bit of prophecy that may refer to him, so in the overarching story that was definitely the intention. As I was writing this, I also found out the name means "little bear" which just fit too perfectly with Alice naming him.

GubernatorFan, glad I'm keeping you hooked! Thank you!

Ephiane, as one of my favorite 1/6 world builders and most expressive figure photographers I know, that means a ton coming from you.

Stryker2011, I welcome the Hellboy comparison!  Definitely a series full of myth and magic that has been an inspiration.  And so glad you're enjoying the ride on these (and giving them the that kinda attention and consideration)!  Seriously man, thank you.

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Dang bro! This is so freaking cool looking. This first picture looks like a real photograph. OUTSTANDING. Love all the accessories and the background is breathtaking. Then if that wasn't enough, to top it all off, you used a Phicen. It just doesn't get any better than that. Top marks across the board my friend.

AFM

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very Cool story and great looking character. And it's nice to see a MAGGY HAMMER in your story line.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
actionfiguremovies2 wrote:Dang bro! This is so freaking cool looking. This first picture looks like a real photograph. OUTSTANDING. Love all the accessories and the background is breathtaking. Then if that wasn't enough, to top it all off, you used a Phicen.  It just doesn't get any better than that. Top marks across the board my friend.

AFM

Thank you so much AFM!!!  And yeah, once you've gone down the Phicen path, it's hard to go back to any other bodies.  They really do spoil you.  

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very Cool story and great looking character. And it's nice to see a MAGGY HAMMER in your story line.

Hell yes!  That Maggy Hammer is still one of my favorite 1/6 guns ever made.  So glad you enjoyed!

PureEnergy

Honestly, and quite simply, this is nice enough to comment twice...

Smile

Ovy

Ovy
Wow that's a nice one, my favorite along Isblomma! Very cool dude, although I was never the greatest fan of those top superpowerlevel/anime characters.^^ Speaking of anime, I wonder how much possibility those long hairstyle brings, how he would look like with a ponytail, or red torn bandana, or some kind of ski mask. I mean it's stylish, but not that practical! xD

I like all the weapons and how all of them can be stowed away in the holster thing you made. Did you make/customize the guns yourself? I also like how one of those evil wrist joins was covered with cloth.

Keep on the great work, I am looking forward which HoS Characters you will bring to life in 2019.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
PureEnergy wrote:Honestly, and quite simply, this is nice enough to comment twice...

Smile

Ah man, that deserves a 2nd thanks.  Really glad you dig him!  Not to push my own work, but I definitely hope you take a look at the rest of the characters.  I think you'll appreciate them.

Ovy wrote:Wow that's a nice one, my favorite along Isblomma! Very cool dude, although I was never the greatest fan of those top superpowerlevel/anime characters.^^ Speaking of anime, I wonder how much possibility those long hairstyle brings, how he would look like with a ponytail, or red torn bandana, or some kind of ski mask. I mean it's stylish, but not that practical! xD

I like all the weapons and how all of them can be stowed away in the holster thing you made. Did you make/customize the guns yourself?  I also like how one of those evil wrist joins was covered with cloth.  

Keep on the great work, I am looking forward which HoS Characters you will bring to life in 2019.

Thank you Ovy!  I will fully admit to the whole House of Seasons line having an anime/manga influence.  And yeah, Koda's hair is definitely more stylized than realistic and functional (as is my own hair though, and I WISH I could get that kinda natural volume) but I wanted something that was sorta big and wild, since he's kinda this beast of a character.  I hear you on the over powered anime character tropes, and he's not quite that.  The whole HoS world is based around characters wielding these grand powers (Isblomma especially is just naturally crazy powerful), so the story is more about the how of it.  Koda is all sorts of capable, but he's totally a slave to Summer.  He's actually kinda introduced as a villain, so he's a bit of a wildcard.  He does have all this power, but you don't know if he'll help save the day or be the biggest threat to the other characters.  So him being insanely dangerous is a necessary part of that tension.

As for the guns, the revolver is from an old BBI figure (I filed off some writing and gave it a blackwash, but that's about it) but the shotgun is cobbled together from a few different guns.  I didn't even get into how the shotgun shells are supposed to be these single-use spells, or the grenades made for suppressing magik energies.  The giant katana actually has a great backstory too, and isn't something that he'd even get until well into the story, but I couldn't resist making it.  

I've got a few more characters lined up, and some wicked fun photo shoots planned.  Stay tuned!  2019 should be a lot of fun.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m looking forward to seeing how all these characters come together.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:I’m looking forward to seeing how all these characters come together.

Oh man Stryker, I have so much in the works I am dying to finish and share! 4 more HoS characters that are almost done, 3 HoS monstrous villains, A huge versatile background I'm building, and a bunch of awesome photoshoots where I start really having some fun bringing characters together. And that's not to mention the (at least) 6 Radio Kings characters that are mostly done and I just need to shoot and write background on. 2019 is going to be Epic!!!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I’m looking forward to seeing how all these characters come together.

Oh man Stryker, I have so much in the works I am dying to finish and share!  4 more HoS characters that are almost done, 3 HoS monstrous villains, A huge versatile background I'm building, and a bunch of awesome photoshoots where I start really having some fun bringing characters together.  And that's not to mention the (at least) 6 Radio Kings characters that are mostly done and I just need to shoot and write background on.  2019 is going to be Epic!!!

Holy cow, that all sounds awesome. Will be cool to see.

blackpool

blackpool
I love that newcomer, very stylish, I'm always amazed at the number and quality of details you put in your figures, they are sophisticated to a point that brings them to life!

I must add I love the way you use that phicen body, the silhouette and muscle definition totally fits the character and the general atmosphere of your "World of House of Seasons", it was already working perfectly on your radio king character Smile

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
blackpool wrote:I love that newcomer, very stylish, I'm always amazed at the number and quality of details you put in your figures, they are sophisticated to a point that brings them to life!

I must add I love the way you use that phicen body, the silhouette and muscle definition totally fits the character and the general atmosphere of your "World of House of Seasons", it was already working perfectly on your radio king character Smile

Thank you so much Blackpool! And I'm always trying to find a way to pack in more detail, and building accessories is something I obsess on. Every time I see a tutorial, or see a way to build some small prop (like the scrolls) I end up just building a bunch. I'm slowly amassing a stockpile of usable props.

And man, Phicen really did just change the 1/6 game. I feel like they finally have a great diversity of body types (although I'm still anxious to see them expand further), but being able to take body type into consideration when working on a character is so huge. I always say it, but this really is an incredible time to be into 1/6.

dadrab

dadrab
Somehow missed this, Rev.

What a great figure. The detail is exquisite and I really appreciate your vision.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back up to gaze at those luscious photos some more.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
dadrab wrote:Somehow missed this, Rev.

What a great figure. The detail is exquisite and I really appreciate your vision.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back up to gaze at those luscious photos some more.

That you so much Dadrab! And gaze away! So glad you're enjoying.

ravrohan

This thread was one of the biggest reasons I stopped lurking and decided to start posting here, I really enjoy this character.  If you don't mind me asking, what head did you use and did you do the hair yourself? If so what did you use there?  I'm thinking of using the Holy Monk head myself and if I were to hazard a guess it looks like you used that one as a base?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you Ravrohan! I'm glad it brought you out of the shadows to start posting. This is a great community, and richer for you joining.

You are 100% right on the head being the Holy Monk. I wanted something that was just a bit stylized, to fit with the rest of the line, and this ended up being just what I wanted. The color match isn't perfect to the TBLeague body, but looks very good in most light, and was definitely "close enough" to work. And yeah, I add the hair on most of the heads I do, and usually use either a faux fur Tibetan lamb, or real human hair, depending on the project. It's actually pretty easy, and I keep thinking I should post a tutorial at some point, in case anyone's interested.

ravrohan

I would definitely be interested, as that is one of the heads specifically I'm considering. The other being the holy bear head.

And, as I sit here brushing out my samoyed pup again, I'm wondering if I could use this hair for something constructive and now I'm looking at these heads. XD

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ravrohan wrote:I would definitely be interested, as that is one of the heads specifically I'm considering.  The other being the holy bear head.  

And, as I sit here brushing out my samoyed pup again, I'm wondering if I could use this hair for something constructive and now I'm looking at these heads. XD

Too funny! Yeah, any hair you'd want to use would be on a weft of some sort, and being able to cut it and get a nice clean line where you're attaching is key. Or even leave it on the weft if you want the kind of volume Koda has. All the stuff I mentioned is very accessible, and not too expensive. I def need to sit down and do a tutorial of some sort.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
When I first saw this one my jaw dropped, and I wanted to comment but couldn't think of anything to say other than incoherent fangirl squealing.

But seriously, I'm in looove....he's beautiful (those eyes! that anime hair!) and his story is evocative and emotional. I am hooked and want to know more! ^.^

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Simply outstanding skill at creating another super looking character!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum