OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Resolutions, Anyone...?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Being yet relatively new here (and to this craft), I would just like to express my sincere appreciation for the thoughtful, considerate, talented artists that comprise the OSF membership and administration.  

Thank you all for being who you are, for sharing what you share, and for the overall quality of each your individual qualities…  


Happy New Year to All!  


N



In 2019, I plan to improve, intend to learn, and resolve to better myself and those around me.


Do any of you have resolutions for the new year, specific or general, that you’d care to share here?

View user profile

2Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:31 pm

My new year's resolutions is to buy less Tbleague figures in the coming new year but it's more likely I will end up probably buying more Tbleague  
 and other figures in the coming new year. I just received a email from Monkey Depot that my newest Tbleague figure was just shipped so my
new year's resolution is not looking good so far. Laughing  (damn plastic crack addiction)

Indeed Happy News to Everyone!


_________________
View user profile

3Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Happy New Year to all of the crew here on OSF!  

My resolution is just to double down and get more done.  Every year I feel like I'm learning and growing in this hobby, and I've got some epic stuff planned for 2019 that I just can't wait to get to.

PureEnergy, you're a welcome addition to this group, and I'm genuinely glad you found your way here.

Badwolf, I'd love to encourage your resolution, but I'm much more suited as the devil on your shoulder.  May your TBLeague collection continue to grow!

And seriously, to all of the OSF family, thank you for making this board what it is.  To GubernatorFan And RogerBee for starting this group, moderating, and keeping things running, to all the OGs who have been so active here since the beginning (you guys know who you are), and to all our recent members who've joined our ranks, you guys all make this such an incredible community to be a part of.  I raise a glass to you all, and wish you a 2019 full of new figures and successful projects!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

4Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:To GubernatorFan And RogerBee for starting this group, moderating, and keeping things running

Sad I guess I’m not doing enough... pale Crying or Very sad









lol!


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Resolutions, Anyone...? TCFITBi
View user profile

5Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:To GubernatorFan And RogerBee for starting this group, moderating, and keeping things running

Sad I guess I’m not doing enough... pale Crying or Very sad









lol!

What! I thought GubernatorFan, RogerBee, and DFC started things are were our only moderators. Have you always been, and I've been completely oblivious!!?! I knew you were one of the Dirty (Baker's) Dozen, or Lucky 13, or whatever the hell we were calling ourselves. Oh man, I actually feel bad not giving credit where it was due! You keep things running so smooth, no one sees the job you're doing.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

6Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:To GubernatorFan And RogerBee for starting this group, moderating, and keeping things running

Sad I guess I’m not doing enough... pale Crying or Very sad









lol!

What!  I thought GubernatorFan, RogerBee, and DFC started things are were our only moderators.  Have you always been, and I've been completely oblivious!!?!  I knew you were one of the Dirty (Baker's) Dozen, or Lucky 13, or whatever the hell we were calling ourselves.  Oh man, I actually feel bad not giving credit where it was due!  You keep things running so smooth, no one sees the job you're doing.

No worries. I wasn’t one of the first, but I think about a month in to the forums existence, I was asked to be one of the mods.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Resolutions, Anyone...? TCFITBi
View user profile

7Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:To GubernatorFan And RogerBee for starting this group, moderating, and keeping things running

Sad I guess I’m not doing enough... pale Crying or Very sad









lol!

What!  I thought GubernatorFan, RogerBee, and DFC started things are were our only moderators.  Have you always been, and I've been completely oblivious!!?!  I knew you were one of the Dirty (Baker's) Dozen, or Lucky 13, or whatever the hell we were calling ourselves.  Oh man, I actually feel bad not giving credit where it was due!  You keep things running so smooth, no one sees the job you're doing.

No worries. I wasn’t one of the first, but I think about a month in to the forums existence, I was asked to be one of the mods.

Man, I kinda suck for having never noticed that. In that case, I think I owe you a long overdue thanks as well, for keeping this place running smoothly and in general for helping make this such a great spot. I hope you're enjoying your New Years!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

8Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Resolution: Spend less money.

For this hobby it means that I will be buying less and making more. It will also mean looking through more scrap heaps and bins for stuff to recycle instead of buying new materials from the store. My plan is to limit my expenditure to mainly tools, glues, and paint. The main exception will be little things like charms and keychains that can be modded for one-sixth work.

Hopefully I'll be able to save enough money to get a decent 3D printer.

Here is a list of 1/6 projects I have in the queue:

Blacksmiths workshop
Victorian-era study/drawing room
Mad scientists laboratory (I might merge this and the study into one scene)
Mid-20th century casino (James Bond needs to live somewhere when I don't need him for photoshoots)
1980s video game arcade.
Old West blockhouse-style log fort made sturdy enough for the kids to play with
Roman villa courtyard garden complete with live miniature plants, which will involve me learning how to do bonsai.

Every day since Christmas Eve has been 38-40 deg C (100-104 F) so I have not set foot in the workshop. Starting to get withdrawal. Passing time by binge-watching shows I missed during the year: Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Gotham, Better Call Saul, House of Cards, etc.

Edit: we don't get to see Bill Maher on TV in Australia so I spent the day watching all of his "New Rules" on Youtube.

All the best. I hope that everyone keeps their resolutions and has a great year.


_________________
More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

9Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Like many of you, I, too, would like to expand my Phicen / TBL collection - but I really need to focus on one character at a time.  Such is difficult, because shopping for accessories is typically so catch-as-ye-can-catch that I find myself outstretched over multiple projects due to the intermittent availability of specs.  My solution thus far has been to divide my work over several separate characters just to keep at it while I await certain items; the alternative seems like a lot of down-time between orders as yet to arrive.  

Perhaps that is just the nature of this activity, since I didn’t have a stitch of anything 1:6 as recently as a few months ago - so my supplies had been extremely minimal.  

The new year comes with promises of a decent stock of parts and figures from which to assemble some ideas without too much delay, and hopefully characters will be evolving at a much better rate of progress.  

Anyway, you guys are always inspiring, and I wish all of you the best of a beautiful and prosperous new year!

Sincerely,

N

View user profile

10Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:26 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Once again, Happy New Year to all of you. That said, my resolution is absolutely scandalous: to buy less sixth-scale stuff and to do more with what I already have. My recent move (from which I have not fully recovered yet), exposed the horrid amount of stuff I have accumulated over the years, and I am determined not to clutter up my new place.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

11Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am

Happy New Year to one and all.

Fine resolutions written here. I wish everyone well with them.

As for me...nope...no resolutions. Back when I used to make them, they were half-hearted efforts that usually resulted in failure. I see no need to further humiliate myself.

Very Happy

When I decide to change something about myself...I will.

Cheers all.

View user profile

12Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Shazzdan, your project list is so rad.  I can't wait to see these as you finish them.  Based on the high quality of the rest of your work, these are going to be awesome.  I've been so excited seeing and buiding diorama backgrounds lately, so that list has me fired up.  Be careful, or I may show up uninvited with a box of figures for a photoshoot.

PureEnergy, that is definitely the hardest part of starting out in this hobby, building up the stock of parts and supplies, the waiting for things to arrive.  You have the right idea with multiple projects at once, so you always have stuff to work on.  What'll happen is you'll buy figures or sets for a project, use part, and the rest goes in storage, until somewhere down the line you just have a stockpile to pull from.  I'd say you'd be spending less, but instead your stockpile just increases exponentially at a point.  And you start storing junk that might have some weird 1/6 application, trying to not cross that hoarder line, but sometimes, you get a bright idea and you've saved the perfect piece of garbage for just this occasion.  You dig through your junk mountain and it's all worth while....  

GubernatorFan, I think that's a good plan.  I could stand to finish what I have to work on instead of getting distracted by the next shiny idea.  Moving is good in that it can be a good excuse to organize what you do have.  Hope you get settled in soon and the new place starts to feel like home.  

And Dadrab, maybe you've just got the right idea.  "Self improvement is masturbation.  Now self destruction..."  Sorry, couldn't resist.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

13Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:24 pm

ReverendSpooky wrote:PureEnergy, that is definitely the hardest part of starting out in this hobby, building up the stock of parts and supplies, the waiting for things to arrive.  You have the right idea with multiple projects at once, so you always have stuff to work on.  What'll happen is you'll buy figures or sets for a project, use part, and the rest goes in storage, until somewhere down the line you just have a stockpile to pull from.  I'd say you'd be spending less, but instead your stockpile just increases exponentially at a point.  And you start storing junk that might have some weird 1/6 application, trying to not cross that hoarder line, but sometimes, you get a bright idea and you've saved the perfect piece of garbage for just this occasion.  You dig through your junk mountain and it's all worth while....  

That said, I think my other resolution is to organize my basement. In the frantic pace of some of my projects, it's degenerated into terrifying chaos.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

14Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:03 pm

well last years resolution for "pumping iron" again got me into inflaming my shoulder tendons, again Crying or Very sad
so thats one off the list for this year.
stuff that remains on it is playing fallout 76 and putting my 3d printer to more use, getting better aquainted to it.

as for 1/6 in general i keep my eyes peeled for the x01 power armor figure, other than that its spontaneous items here and there.

so much for resolutions,
a happy new year to you all

View user profile

15Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
My resolution -- stop buying so many boxed sets (if possible).

And I'm seriously considering selling off some of my collection just so I can start making Dioramas. I've been searching the net for images of dioramas for figures of all sizes, and there is some really cool stuff out there (very inspirational). So, it's been tempting to me to make room. I've even been interested in doing some photo-stories, but that would require I either work on my Photoshop skills (which I don't have) to be able to recreate environments as backgrounds, or start building stuff. I've managed to find a head sculpt that my wife thinks looks like me as a much, MUCH younger man, so I bought a few thinking I could recreate some of the situations I found myself in while doing private security (ie bodyguard) -- probably the last truly interesting job I ever had. Bought a couple 1/6 scale motorcycles so I could make Biker mini-me's of my wife and I since we're both bikers (but I haven't found a decent head sculpt to represent her, yet -- might have to go custom route with that one when I get money again). Would really like to do something with my Planet of the Apes figures (have a couple custom heads of Taylor and Nova that have been in the works for a couple years now). Been collecting parts for the past year to make a post-apocalyptic figure -- might even have enough parts for two figures -- so I'd like to do something with those, as well; we'll see.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Resolutions, Anyone...? TCFITBi
View user profile

16Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Stryker, with your particular background, I might imagine that you and I have much to discuss…


I love self-customs, and I look forward to seeing your ideas finding light.  

Good luck with your resolution (if it's possible; you do seem a bit dubious), and belated Happy New Year!  (Or is that rather right on time?  It is yet “new.”)  

Very Happy

View user profile

17Resolutions, Anyone...? Empty Re: Resolutions, Anyone...? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Stryker2011 wrote:My resolution -- stop buying so many boxed sets (if possible).

And I'm seriously considering selling off some of my collection just so I can start making Dioramas. I've been searching the net for images of dioramas for figures of all sizes, and there is some really cool stuff out there (very inspirational). So, it's been tempting to me to make room. I've even been interested in doing some photo-stories, but that would require I either work on my Photoshop skills (which I don't have) to be able to recreate environments as backgrounds, or start building stuff. I've managed to find a head sculpt that my wife thinks looks like me as a much, MUCH younger man, so I bought a few thinking I could recreate some of the situations I found myself in while doing private security (ie bodyguard) -- probably the last truly interesting job I ever had. Bought a couple 1/6 scale motorcycles so I could make Biker mini-me's of my wife and I since we're both bikers (but I haven't found a decent head sculpt to represent her, yet -- might have to go custom route with that one when I get money again). Would really like to do something with my Planet of the Apes figures (have a couple custom heads of Taylor and Nova that have been in the works for a couple years now). Been collecting parts for the past year to make a post-apocalyptic figure -- might even have enough parts for two figures -- so I'd like to do something with those, as well; we'll see.

Man, I can't encourage you enough on the dioramas!!! There are a few guys out there I keep an eye on online, and while definitely smaller scale, their stuff is HUGELY inspirational. Not to mention that there are a lot of smaller scale tricks that cross over well into 1/6. But something about seeing a well crafted miniature environment gets me all sorts of fired up. And mini versions of yourself and your wife sound like really fun projects. And now I'm dying to see your take on the post apocalyptic world!

As far as photoshop for doing backgrounds, I've been thinking a lot about it lately. There is only so much I can build, so I recently purchased an online class taught by a well respected photographer on doing photo compositions, combining pics, and adding backgrounds digitally. It's about 40 hours of videos and the sort, so I need to get through my current projects a bit 1st, but I'm psyched to learn some new tricks. I live in an area with a lot of old industrial architecture, so I want to go shoot a ton of photos I can use for post apocalyptic backgrounds. That's the idea at least.

I also just got a really nice airbrush for Christmas (huge respect to my girl for doing a ton of research!) so that's 1 more thing I'm excited to learn this year. My prediction, 2019 is going to be awesome for projects!!!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum