OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 39]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Heres a simple little cardboard backdrop that was created for the 3.75" Jabba. I was thinking of doing something similar with that alcove under the arch -- but I'd like to do it with a photograph of the actual set if I can find one without all the other stuff in front of it.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Img_0010
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Img_0011

shovelchop81

I bought the original 1/6 SSC version many years ago, it's still a great focal point in my very large 1/6 SW collection! Well worth it.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I missed out on the original — only reason I went for this one. Glad you still like yours, Alex; my SW collection is nowhere near extensive, but I figured this would probably be a major focal point, that’s for sure.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Some interesting comparison pics of the original Sideshow Jabba and their new one, as posted by Freaks members genghisjon & icruise:

1st genghisjon's:
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 20190111
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 20190112
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 20190110
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 20190114
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 20190113
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Receiv10

icruise's:
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si10
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si11
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si12

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Some guy on Instagram was very excited to get his a few days ago:

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 0li_wa10

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Haha, can't say I blame him! :'D

And, wow, I'm loving all these pics (and living vicariously through them, lol)! That comparison between the original SS Jabba and the new statue is especially illuminating. The original is not all that bad, but the paint job, detailing, and overall *scale* of the new one seems much more appealing.  I am avidly waiting for any and all new photos! I especially love to see everyone's set-ups and how they integrate it into their SW displays. : )

Apologies for the slight tangent, but all of this reminds me....does anyone know if Hot Toys is going to make a Boushh Leia figure??? The Boushh disguise is probably my favourite outfit of hers, so I have been waiting and waiting to see if there would be a updated 1/6 version anytime soon. But since I very purposefully stay away from any and all SW news and announcements (for the sake of my mental health), I'm always scared I miss out on such things...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thy haven’t announced anything for Boushh yet. Their latest OT Leia announcement was Bespin Leia. They haven’t gotten very far into Jedi yet. I would suspect, in time, that they’ll get to her Tatooine outfit.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker, thanks for the additional photo comparisons. They are both impressive, though the updated version does seem to be on a new level. One detail that surprised me is that they changed the position of the tail (unless it is bendable, but I don't think so).

Skywalkersaga, I don't know about HT, but Sideshow made a Boushh Leia some time ago. HT hasn't gotten around to making any Jabba-related figures so far, although I suppose it is always a possible thing to do next.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:Thy haven’t announced anything for Boushh yet. Their latest OT Leia announcement was Bespin Leia. They haven’t gotten very far into Jedi yet. I would suspect, in time, that they’ll get to her Tatooine outfit.

Ok, thanks! The Bespin Leia was very pretty and I wish I could have gotten it, sigh, but sadly I can't justify getting every single HT version at this point. :/ My husband has the RotJ Luke (to 'match' my RotS Anakin), so I thought that if I got a Leia, it would make sense to get an RotJ one as well. (I haven't figured out what I'll do about Han yet...)  I'll wait as long as it takes for that to happen, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. : )

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:Skywalkersaga, I don't know about HT, but Sideshow made a Boushh Leia some time ago. HT hasn't gotten around to making any Jabba-related figures so far, although I suppose it is always a possible thing to do next.

Thanks for the reminder -- I have seen the Sideshow one, and I do actually rather like it (unlike many, I don't hate all of the older Sideshow SW figures, some of them do have merit). I've even considered getting it and just making a custom head for it (or repainting the original one), but I've been waiting to see if HT was going to do one, first.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
The new version is a lot nicer especially with all those interchangeable parts! Great that Jabba's bigger too, is the new paint scheme more CGI or animie influenced? A lot more striking anyway. Not sure you could tell the difference with mine as he's so loaded with creature packs, guards and sycophants! Wink

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:One detail that surprised me is that they changed the position of the tail (unless it is bendable, but I don't think so.

No, it doesn’t bend. Others had the same issue, but then someone pointed out that his tail was straight in the movie as much as it was bent. I think I would have preferred a bend myself, but it is what it is.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I agree that the straight tail is a bit odd....I wonder if they did it like that so it would work with the interchangeable 'stuck out tongue' for when Leia is strangling him?? tongue

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Some more pics by icruise:

A nice size comparison pic with Sideshow's Bib Fortuna:

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si13

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si14
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si15
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si16
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si17
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 New_si18

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks All for the great Pictures. A real piece of Art, i love the intercangeable mouthpieces and eyes. Great for a little story. Is this a scar on his tail ? Is there a Star Wars Background if it is a scar ?

look at this Laughing

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Fat-ca10

Skippy

Ephiane wrote:Thanks All for the great Pictures. A real piece of Art, i love the intercangeable mouthpieces and eyes. Great for a little story. Is this a scar on his tail ? Is there a Star Wars Background if it is a scar ?

look at this Laughing

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Fat-ca10

Very Happy

That's a wonderful photo!

As for Jabba's wounded tail there were several theories, but the most logical one was that the prop got damaged, so they decided the quickest fix was to paint it like wound rather than repair it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Awww..... that cat on Jabba's throne is almost as cute as the big frog/snail/slug himself.

And I am pretty sure that the scar on Jabba's tail is from where Han Solo walked over it in the deleted, then redone and reinstated scene in A New Hope. Just kidding, but it would be just like Lucasfilm to make something like that official, no? Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great pic, Ephiane. That’s awesome.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's an interesting solution to the stairs next to the new throne (where Bib Fortuna is standing) by Jaymig926 over at the Freaks (he went to Michaels and not only picked up a plastic fern, trimming off most of the leaves to make the Jawa's fan; he also picked up a couple of those hard foam blocks they use to stick fake plants in and painted them up:

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 3884a210
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 4f077a10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Great solution re: the stairs!

And the jawa with the fern is freaking ADORABLE. Makes me want it just to do that, lol!

(also keeps reminding me how badly I want need a Boushh Leia... )

Skippy

I made a quick fan by pinning some artificial leaves into the end of a wooden rod.

The leaves are bigger and floppier than they should be though. Laughing

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 100_8214

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Still looks cool, Asta. I really hope Sideshow goes back and revisits things like the Creature Pack. Missed out on so many cool things.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Still looks cool, Asta. I really hope Sideshow goes back and revisits things like the Creature Pack. Missed out on so many cool things.

When I first started buying Sideshow's Star Wars figures they were £20-25 on Ebay. My first lot was 5 figures for £100, which were the three Rebel Commandos plus, I think Bib exclusive and Boushh. Then it was Leia, Praji, Luke Jedi, Luke Yavin, Smuggler Han, Bespin Han and the creature packs. Then suddenly prices started to rise sharply. Lando and the Stormtrooper were about £60 each.

I sold off a few, but with new bodies and heads, or little upgrades such as custom longer armour for Boushh, they can still fit in well. And, to me at least, are still worth far more than their original cost.

When prices rose around the time of Lando and the Stormtrooper I stepped back, and therefore missed out on figures like Greedo, the Gamorrean, Hammerhead, Piett, Tusken Raider, and so on. But those became a lot more expensive on the after market.

So, I hope Sideshow do revisit those older figures.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta, you make me realize how much I missed out on. I held back from buying sixth-scale figures for a long time (even SW ones), so never even realized the full range of what was out there. When I got into collecting them, the prices were already on the rise. Anyway, you're on the right track with the leaf fan; the other customizer put together a great scene (the painted foam stairs work very well, too), but even he might have to upgrade the fan. You might also want to consider printing the design on paper (and perhaps tracing it on thicker paper) and cutting it out.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Asta, you make me realize how much I missed out on. I held back from buying sixth-scale figures for a long time (even SW ones), so never even realized the full range of what was out there. When I got into collecting them, the prices were already on the rise. Anyway, you're on the right track with the leaf fan; the other customizer put together a great scene (the painted foam stairs work very well, too), but even he might have to upgrade the fan. You might also want to consider printing the design on paper (and perhaps tracing it on thicker paper) and cutting it out.

I'd been collecting Dragon and BBI military figures. I had Kenner 12" Star Wars figures, but one day decided to take the leap and upgrade with Sideshow. Then I discovered Hot Toys and dipped my toe in the water with the DX01 Joker. It's a genuine addiction as the collection gradually expanded in so many directions.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I know of the Creature Pack (that had Salacius Crumb), the Gamorrean Guard, and Bib Fortuna -- were there any other Throne Room creatures made beside those? You never see anything else other than those out there (occasionally) for sale -- and they're all crazily over-priced.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I know of the Creature Pack (that had Salacius Crumb), the Gamorrean Guard, and Bib Fortuna -- were there any other Throne Room creatures made beside those? You never see anything else other than those out there (occasionally) for sale -- and they're all crazily over-priced.

There were two creature packs:

Salacious B. Crumb; Ghoel - Wol (censored); Worrt and Sand Skitter. (I just realized there was an exclusive with a Dwarf Varactyl - but it doesn't look very good!)

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=21431&archive=y

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 1_5a858ad0744fb44390e0823e0fe86dc7

Buboicullaar; Spiny Rock Wart; Womp Rat (the Exlusive set had an additional scratching Womp Rat).

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=21441&archive=y

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 21441_11

Apart than Bib, the Gamorrean, and their more recent Jawas I don't think there were any other specific Jabba's Palace creatures.

On SSF icruise has been measuring his new Jabba and Throne.

Total width including Jabba's tail: 30"

Throne width including gargoyles: 28.5"

Throne depth including gargoyles: 17"

Total height including Jabba: 15.5"

Jabba's height: 11"

Measuring Jabba must be as difficult as trying to measure the first version, as you can't get a ruler close to the top of his head. His first measurement was a total height of 16", which may be correct as Jabba seems closer to 11.5" than 11" in the photos we've seen.

If the throne height and depth are correct then it should work perfectly with my stairs as is. The third step will be level with the throne at the point where Jabba sits, so Bib will be alongside him at the right height. If I let the gargoyles overhang the front of the shelf there'll be room at the back between the final steps for a platform that might take some other diorama elements.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I saw his measurements yesterday, then did some measuring of my own based on blueprints of Jabba's throne (specifically just the area surrounding the throne -- the stairs and the archway).

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 92850a10

And also using an image of the creature cast on the set (where I cropped the image to just get the part of the alcove behind the arch for what it is I'm looking for). A few of us over there reached out to twelveinchfigures to see if he could make a background for Jabba, and he said it'd be a possibility, he just needed to know how big -- and of course, what exactly we were looking for.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Jabba_11
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 3 Jabba_10

Based on the measurements that icruise supplied (and Sideshow's own dimensions); this is the calculations that I came up with if all that was made is the room under the arch from the top of the throne (not counting the railing), to the top of the arch in the very front -- I'm assuming the photo was taken at a mid-level that allowed for the inner ceiling of the arch to be seen -- unless they built the arch to shrink the further back one goes -- which would throw off everything); and from the bottom of the arch where it meets the floor at the top of the steps from one end to the other.

Total width: 50.2375691" (at the very bottom of the arch)
Total height: 16.625" (from the top of the dais to the top of the arch -- not counting the rail)
The steps to the left of the dais would be 13.5359116" wide (at the center point)
The steps to the right of the dais (where Bib Fortuna is standing) would be 8.70165748" wide (at the center point)

As you can see, if you were going for "screen accurate" as close as can be judged, the background of just the room under the arch would be massive.

This morning, however, I realized my slight error.

I was using the measurement of the total width of the throne (including the gargoyle heads near the front on the sides), but the measurement of the width would only be the side of the dais WITHOUT the two gargoyle heads, as the stairs just butt up against the throne so it can slide back and forth and not have a big gap. That would alter the width of the stairs, and the arch, considerably.

Another idea to make the barbecue pit alcove image smaller -- using the above cast/creature set photo above: Reduce the alcove by the width/depth of the arches' inner ceiling, to give a forced perspective look -- that should bring the dimensions to a more manageable position -- as it would make the bottom of the arch (near the back end of the forced perspective -- I hope that makes sense) about a few inches off the sides of the throne -- so around 38" wide at the lowest point of the arch. My plan was to use some sheets of foam to make the arch above the throne, anyway -- and have a section extend back so that the dais sits under it, as it does in the movie; build the steps to add other characters, and the barbecue pit alcove is all that would be needed for an image...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks by the way, Asta, for all the pics of the creature packs. Other than the big frog thing and Salacius (maybe the rat), I guess I never really noticed all those other little guys. Revisiting some of those would be cool, but I'd like to see them tackle some of the humanoid aliens (or at least the ones that had a human inside of the costumes).

Edit: I’m actually surprised they never did the band, or the interrogator droid — or Oola, for that matter.

If HT doesn’t make a Slave Leia, that is going to be really disappointing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum