OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Rogerbee

Founding Father

It doesn't look dead on, but it's close. Jim Cameron rarely makes a dud, so the movie won't tank, hopefully! By the time HT get round to releasing this, the movie will have met whatever fate it has coming and will be a hot seller on DVD/Blu Ray or be in bargain bins, who can tell!? HT previewed Valerian figures and they disappeared along, pretty much, with the movie (Which I actually like.).

We will see....

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
She’s up at Sideshow: $251 USD; I’ll wait to see what others offer at before I order.

ReverendSpooky

Stryker2011 wrote:That sounds like it will be a lot of fun, Rev.

I haven’t seen the latest series of Anime for Battle Angel to be honest. I’m not even familiar with who’s involved with it. I tend to be a bit of a “purest” snob, and when the original creators aren’t involved, I tend to lose interest. I’m not sure if that’s the case here. But a lot of what Masamune Shirow did with his Appleseed, Black Magic 66, Ghost in the Shell, and other Mangas, was kind of “bastardized” and watered down when it came time to do the Anime versions (and even the live-action version of GITS). I’ve been so out of touch with comics now for over ten years, I don’t have a clue what’s even out there anymore.

As far as i know, the 2nd and 3rd Alita series (titled Last Order and Mars Chronicle) never got animated, and are just the comics. I haven't read them yet but have a friend who swears by them. I agree with you that Shirow's stuff has rarely translated well to other mediums, or was changed a lot. I honestly find the original GITS comics a bit tedious, as I think he can get a bit bogged down with the technical side of his stories. That said, I highly recommend the GITS Stand Alone Complex animated show. it ran 2 seasons, and it's (for me at least) the best balance of great cyberpunk concepts, stories, well written characters, themes, and generally well paced storytelling.

The Alita Experience was a blast! The bar was cool, and a lot of the games were fun, like trying to find bounties on multiple CCTV screens, or scanning chunks of scrap for credits. Our team was actually in 1st place right to the end. But there's a Motorball match at the end (pretty much just digital marbles racing around an onscreen track) that you can bet on and the team that was in last place bet all they had and won the game. Funny enough, we barely bet, but if we'd bet nothing we would have still won. Still, was worth it.

I haven't verified it, but a friend made an interesting point about Alita's eyes. Apparently in the manga and the anime, it's not just a stylized thing, but she actually has these enormous doll like eyes even in the context of that world. She's not supposed to look human or natural, and her look is kinda jarring and stands out to other characters. Like, characters in the story notice how inhuman her eyes look. If that's the case, it actually justifies a lot about the design direction the movie went with, and I actually stand by them doing it.

http://reverendspooky.com

doodlehobby

What happened to her lips that set her apart in the manga (pouty octopus lips IIRC) as well? I'm tempted to PO this actually. I do love Alita but I haven't read the entire manga series. Only up to parts of the motorball. Might just go out and get the complete manga series while it's on sale and skip the movie. LOL

I'll wait as I have mixed feelings about the amount of story arcs they are trying to cram into this one movie. Usually that doesn't go well...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Sounds like you had a great time, Rev. Glad to hear it. It's been so long since I read the comics I completely forgot about the "eyes" thing. Even if I end up not liking the movie, I'll probably still get this just because of the comics; if someone were to do one based on the comics, I'd be all in. I'm actually surprised this doesn't come with an extra head to recreate the rollerball scenes.

I share your concern, doodlehobby, as far as them trying to jam too much into one movie; but then some of the complaints I've heard about the film are that it's a setup for sequels (which makes sense considering it's based on a "series") -- I guess the people critiquing it early really don't have any idea about the original source material.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 C8485110

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
She is one very good looking figure, indeed I'm also very tempted to acquire her.

brassco

brassco
I just watched the movie, and i must say that's a pretty impressive movie. Now the figure i must get!

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Dic-Fenu-W4-AAr-Cdn
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 768256-261
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Maxresdefault-121-1200x628

There are at least 3 versions of the figure used from the movie. The first body, the upgraded URM body (Hottoy version), and the Motorball battle armor version. I wished Hottoy makes the other 2 versions so that i can decide.

cheers!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I'll certainly see the movie at some point and will see who else brings her out.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I just got back from seeing this. My impressions as a fan of the Manga — some scenes felt a little rushed, some were eye-roll inducing, and some scenes dragged. Overall, however, I thought they did an impressive job trying to jam two series into one two hour movie. The young lady playing Alita was really good. Too many characters, so not everyone gets developed all that well, but that’s understandable considering the time constraints. The special effects, of course, are impressive. My final thoughts — it was pretty cool, and while I told myself I didn’t really NEED to get this figure, I changed my mind. I will DEFINITELY get this.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Knowing Jim Cameron, he's saving a 3 hour director's cut for the Blu Ray. I'm surprised he could get the theatrical release down to 2hrs.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Knowing Jim Cameron, he's saving a 3 hour director's cut for the Blu Ray. I'm surprised he could get the theatrical release down to 2hrs.

CHEERS!

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it ended up longer for the blu-Ray, either.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

If this had been made 10 years ago, Summer Glau would have played Alita. As it is she reminds me of Chloe Bennet.

CHEERS!

doodlehobby

Stryker2011 wrote:I just got back from seeing this. My impressions as a fan of the Manga — some scenes felt a little rushed, some were eye-roll inducing, and some scenes dragged. Overall, however, I thought they did an impressive job trying to jam two series into one two hour movie. The young lady playing Alita was really good. Too many characters, so not everyone gets developed all that well, but that’s understandable considering the time constraints. The special effects, of course, are impressive. My final thoughts — it was pretty cool, and while I told myself I didn’t really NEED to get this figure, I changed my mind. I will DEFINITELY get this.
Hmm... guess I'll have to find time to see this then. LOL

Yep, I caved and PO'd Alita as I really do like it.

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
just watched the movie, this figure is spot on. Rooted hair would be nice.

When I chatted to Michael Biehn at his hotel before Christmas, we talked about this film...he goes to gym daily with Jim Cameron....he said Cameron had the screenplay for this film in the drawer at the time of Titanic, but he said he was waiting for technology to catch up before he made it!!

https://www.hellblazerbiz.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
lurpdog101 wrote:just watched the movie, this figure is spot on. Rooted hair would be nice.

When I chatted to Michael Biehn at his hotel before Christmas, we talked about this film...he goes to gym daily with Jim Cameron....he said Cameron had the screenplay for this film in the drawer at the time of Titanic, but he said he was waiting for technology to catch up before he made it!!

Makes sense. The ability to make a character like her (with the big doll eyes, and of course the mechanical body) look believable surpasses quite a few of the films made previously using CGI.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
lurpdog101 wrote:just watched the movie, this figure is spot on. Rooted hair would be nice.

Get you! Nice one, would love to have swapped places!

CHEERS!

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
Haha thanks mate. It was for my chatshow Hellblazerbiz. We got gatecrazhed by the Backstreet Boys too hahafemale - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 5169b810
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19992615/26]female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 29f70810

https://www.hellblazerbiz.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is so awesome.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Alright!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Alita arrived yesterday (along with Elizabeth I). She was far easier to put together than Elizabeth (though, at the moment, I don't have any plans to put her black outfit on her, as I really like the robot body). It has quite a nice amount of articulation, though not so much in the torso. I'm not wild AT ALL about the helmet hair, and for the cost, it really pisses me off that HT has gone back to sculpted hair. The eyes require individual movement, and they give you this tiny piece of plastic that isn't all that easy to work with to adjust them. I barely moved mine, as I found it such a nightmare to get them evenly aligned again. I ordered one of the bootleg rooted hair head sculpts from OSK, and I'm hoping I can transplant that onto this head once it comes in.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 _dsc3341

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad you like her -- agree about the stupidity of the hair and about the coolness of the robot body.

doodlehobby

Mine arrived on the 17th and still sitting inside the shipper box. Haven't had a chance to break her out yet. Hopefully have some spare time to look at it later. Lol

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
She turned out well (aside from the hair, obviously). I do love that metallic purple!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

brassco

brassco
I too, received this sometime ago, and was still in the box. Usually i don't do HT review, but I just realize that there wasn't a detailed review here. So here is it.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Rpt
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Seg-vivi
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Sdr-vivi
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Rpt
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Oznor-WO-vivi

First look. Quite well packaged, other than the heart. I almost missed it. 

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Oznor-WO-vivi
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ptr
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Ptr
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 10a

I accidentally pulled off the hair from the HS, and realized the eyes could be moved. The mechanism is quite good, i would say, as compared with the Elsa cartoonish HS with adjustable eyes, but is so hard to adjust, as the eyeballs are very loose. This HT's eyeballs are very adjustable.

Looking at the neck and HS connector, i am afraid that i can't fit this HS on a phicen body. So, I wonder if there is going to be a problem when the HS from MR TOYS is released:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3398-new-product-mr-toys-mt2020-1-6-scale-female-head-sculpt-w-movable-eye-ball-2-versions?highlight=MT2020+-07

I might be only able to use this rooted hair HS on the other product made by DAFTOYS:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3401-new-product-daftoys-f05-1-6-scale-battle-angel-costume-set?highlight=angel

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 14a
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 22
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 23
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 24
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 27

I decided to test the flexibility of the figure. The arm can go round the shoulder. On opening wide, the arms can only reached so far. I am however, able to pose it in a Y shape, by raising the arm up first, then bend down.

The feet, you can adjust the toes area, up or down. The thighs can also be turn (rotate). I can't achieve the split, like the TBleague Fang Hua Youth Chinese girl figure.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 30
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 30a
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 31a

The clothes, i hoped, would be stain free, as i wish one day i would dress it on a phicen body. The zipper can be detached totally. It feels like leather, with a bit of shining texture.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 35a
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 35b
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 35c

I made a mistake of slipping arms into the leather jacket from the back. It should be from the front. Not much difficulty wearing it. The problem, however, is the pants. As you can see from the last picture of this section, if you don't try to pull the pants up as high as possible on the figure, it would be very unsightly, especially if you stretch the legs. I pulled the pants up over the waist as much as i could, and it looked much better. I do notice the bottom part of the legs are shown, but it would be covered up by the boots.

Due to the design of the body, i don't see the nice curve that i preferred from the leather pants on this body. I might have to take it off later, as i fear there might be permanent stretch marks on the leather jacket and pants.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 39a

so there is no boots to be put on to the URM feet, but to replace it with. Looking at the connectors, i am afraid that this boots may not fit the phicen body, again.

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 41
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 42
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 43
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 44

The figure can stand on its own, which i like. I compared it with a S09, and they are about the same height. Imagine my disappointment when i realized i couldn't fit the HS onto a phicen body...

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 45
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 46

There is a little chest plate that can be taken off, attached via magnets. I wished i could wear the jacket in front, so the figure could just unzip from the front to take out her heart...

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 49
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 50
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 51
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 52

Other accessories. Since i almost didn't notice the heart, i tried to search the box for the Motorball, if there is. I couldn't find. DAFTOYS's version doesn't offer too. Is there going to be a Motorball Armor version? There are 2 pieces of connectors, i think, and a white piece of i dunno what. Maybe keep them in case i need them...The sword would be the best accessories, IMO. 

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 53
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 54
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 55
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 56
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 57
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 58
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 59
female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 60

The base. The base is not heavy. It is much lighter than what TBleague offers. The wall can be attached and detached on will. There isn't any switches for lights. When i was trying to pose the figure on it, i realized that her feet can only be placed on 2 areas on the base. Or i can try to lift one of her legs onto the wall...

female - NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL ALITA 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 61

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s a great and thorough review, brassco. Nicely done. I think Ht did a pretty amazing job with this one, given the limitations of the body, and still managed to give it more flexibility than most of their figures. My one gripe is the hair, of course, and once I pulled it off I don’t seem to be able to get it back to where a bald part on her forehead (right at the part line) shows unpainted skin — ie, no hair line paint.

doodlehobby

Thanks for the review. Still don't have time to open it up. Interesting, I was actually expecting this to be shorter and not TBL standard height. Kind of a let down for me as she is more a teenage girl in my view. But still looks well done overall.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the review, brassco. While I'm not into the character, I think they generally achieved a very nice result. I don't particularly like the molded hair, but other than that I was thinking, so Hot Toys can do decent articulation after all! (Of course they always could, it's just that their design choices, especially as to clothing, have been getting more and more in the way.)

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the great review brassco! Is it weird that the sculpted hair was one of the reasons I never P/O'd this? I have seen some awesome rooted hair replacement by collectors though.

blackpool

blackpool
Very cool review, thanks a lot! I am too a bit diappointed to see she stands so tall, I don't remember the movie very well but in my memory she was a slender teenager. Overall it's a superb figure anyway (I like the way you pulled up a bit her pants, it looks much better than on promo shots)

Just curious about your opinion on the shoulder articulation, it makes me think of the bandai SHFiguarts double shoulder joints which I hate on figuarts since they are always loose and tricky to place correctly to have a nice result... How are these? Just freely rotating rings?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum