OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Oh, man. That's tragic the amount of damage Lucas did in those prequels. ...

But, yes. The Emperor is a really cool figure, and though his feet seem even further away from the floor than the guy in the video made them, he can slouch down enough in the chair to not have his head rubbing on the roof. For some reason, my photos make him look like he is looking up (and the camera was angled down), and his head was level with the floor.

Agreed. As for the feet, I guess you have to tilt at the ankle and try to get the toes as close to the floor as possible. The looking up effect is not you, it is the head sculpt (I touched upon this briefly above). Although he's a relatively short guy (though the actor is actually taller than Mark Hammil) and he was seated much of the time, he should be able to look down (especially when others are on a lower step). But somewhere between the expression and the integral-neck head sculpt, they made that near impossible to replicate.

Rogerbee wrote:A pose like that usually requires beer and corn chips. As Ian McDiarmid was a Brit, I suspect a cup of Earl Grey would have sufficed.

Good one, Roger. And you should know your countrymen! But aren't they also known for getting "pissed" on beer and eating fish and chips and saying "oy" before mounting double-decker buses and invading France? I may have watched Eurotrip a few too many times. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Speaking of Lucas' revisions, when I was looking up some details for the review, I came across a series of essays on the Star Wars original trilogy (both the actual films and their drafts and deleted scenes). It might make some interesting reading considering all the changes (good or bad) that were applied to the original vision and how many discarded details ended up getting recycled, so I am sharing the links below. The writing could be a lot better, but bear in mind it was quickly translated from the original German (not by me).

Episode IV: Star Wars/A New Hope HERE
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back HERE
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi HERE

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the links, Guv. I knew about some of that behind the scenes, original scripts, etc., stuff, but not all of it.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Good one, Roger. And you should know your countrymen! But aren't they also known for getting "pissed" on beer and eating fish and chips and saying "oy" before mounting double-decker buses and invading France? I may have watched Eurotrip a few too many times. Smile

Oh behave!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thought I'd share some of the great photos that have been popping up of this guy (hope you don't mind, Guv). These are by others, Usernames credited above their photos. As you will see, some folks have figured out a solution to the dangling feet issue by placing the stand in front of the throne:

BuGz:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 436de910
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Bc26a210

Crazydragonclk:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 48375710
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 48395410
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 48419210
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 48423010
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 48935110

Creighton:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 7f5f8c10

Darth Fok:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 D19f2e10

davejames:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 20190117
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 20190118
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 20190119
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 20190120

drjedisith:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Thumbn11
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Thumbn12
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Thumbn10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Thumbn13

dukefett:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 B54mo710

Earthprimej:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 8b115510
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 93828e10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 C59df110

Enzo83:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Bprli210
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Bqgl8u10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Csk4kn10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Cxczii10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Fjklxp10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Vgyolu10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Xjy2a310
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Zkvptz10

genghisjon:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Ph5uyf10

hrguerra:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 1395
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 2188
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 3162
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 4149
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 5146
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 6142
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 7138
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 8130
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 9128
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 10120
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 11122

irezumi:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_1810
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_1811
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_2412
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_2413

Jazzinc (who made the diorama):

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 1396
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 2189
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 3163
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 4150

jedi18:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 1397
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 130a3910

Matrix69:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Dsc_0010
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Dsc_0110
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Dsc_0510
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Dsc_0511

Mugatu:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 2yxf9110
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 34rh9310

NDSam:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 55f1f710
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 B81a2510
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 C943dd10

NoenGaruth:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat12
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat11
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat13
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat14
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palpat15

Pizza:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Bi4s4a10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Ce8y2g10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Jdwwrq10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Pka6qf10

skillerwhale (who seems to have been the first to figure out that if you put his stand in front of the throne, his feet rest comfortably):

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palmpa10

starduster:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_6410
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_6411
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_6412
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_6414
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_6413

TonTon (what an amazing Star Wars collection):

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 1398
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 2190
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 3164
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 4b76df10

xipotec:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Img_8510
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palps_10
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palps710
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Palps810

Who would have thought there'd be so much love for a figure of a character who barely had any screen time... But he is pretty cool.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't mind at all. Thank you for sharing these photos, which are many, informative, and impressive, with the rest of us. Better lighting and camera do pay off and the proof is in the pudding above (I do have a better camera but too lazy -- and possibly unskilled -- to use it). The base under the feet is a solution, but it is not exactly screen accurate either.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

That is actually one of the best Star Wars figures HT have done. I only hope Figuarts can equal it in 1/12.

CHEERS!

Adeno

Great review! Palpatine looks so awesome and realistic! Just imagine him peering through a window, watching somebody eat their dinner at night. Scary lol Smile

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wow ! Some Pictures looks like Movie Scenes !

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:That is actually one of the best Star Wars figures HT have done. I only hope Figuarts can equal it in 1/12.

That's quite an endorsement! I think they've done plenty of very nice figures, but yes, I agree, this is among the best, for all its minor limitations.

Adeno wrote:Great review! Palpatine looks so awesome and realistic! Just imagine him peering through a window, watching somebody eat their dinner at night. Scary lol Smile

Thank you very much. I don't think we need to worry too much about him being a peeping Tom. Unless of course you have a genetic predisposition towards using the Force and he is monitoring your progress with great interest... Smile

Ephiane wrote:Wow ! Some Pictures looks like Movie Scenes !

They do, don't they? And I suppose that is the point of these collectibles.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Though good, I still wouldn't get one. I don't think there's a decent enough Luke and Vader to complement them. I have them in 1/12 already so an Emperor wouldn't be an ask.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Though good, I still wouldn't get one. I don't think there's a decent enough Luke and Vader to complement them. I have them in 1/12 already so an Emperor wouldn't be an ask.

You really don't think HT's Vaders and Luke are decent enough? Yes, Vader needed a bit of customizing to maximize articulation range, and his damn tusks are as fragile as they were with the Sideshow figures, but especially the more recent releases have gotten the down very well. I think their ROTJ Luke head sculpt is also a masterpiece, and even the ANH one was already almost there (the Bespin one less so, largely due to the "backwards hair" effect). But except for the ANH Luke figure, I only have those figures in reconstituted form (i.e., I bought the heads and some of the outfit and accessories and put them together as a sort of basic kitbash). Anyway, the only thing really indecent about them seems to be the price. Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I've never been able to put my finger on what it is, but, every 1/6 Vader I've seen has just looked off to me. The Hasbro Black Series is the only one that has ever looked like it's Dave Prowse wearing the costume. No HT or SSC body has ever matched it.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I guess I’m not as nuanced when it comes to Vader. I’ve read numerous complaints about little bits and bobs here and there, the shape of the helmet, etc, etc., But aside from the Ralph Macquarie art version, I honestly can’t tell one from the other. If it looks like Darth Vader to me, that’s good enough (though I’m holding out for HT to do Return of the Jedi version with an old Anakin reveal HS — not sure why, since I’d probably never display him that way; I just think it’d be cool to have.

HT Return of the Jedi Luke, I’m not impressed with. Not that it’s a bad sculpt, or that it doesn’t resemble Hamill in many ways; I just think it’s a far more idealized, cutsie version — pre-Star Wars even — then the leaner-faced, more “rough-road” look he had thanks to the car accident by the time he was in Jedi. HT has a tendency of idealizing people who have flaws and imperfections (like Harrison Ford, Hamill, and older Alec Guinness), when it’s those flaws that make or break the likeness. I’m not thrilled at all with the final production of Sideshow’s Return Luke, but, unfortunately, that is the one I POd from Timewalker, so that is the one I’m ending up with — I suppose if I didn’t open it I could try to sell it... But Luke, Vader, Billy Dee Lando, and Slave Leia are the last of the major characters that I want (have Mythos Boba Fett already on PO to fill that gap); anymore SW characters after those would be something else to stick in the Jabba display I’m planning.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Inigo's ROTJ Luke is nice, if you get someone like Silentsurfer to paint it that is. I know what you mean about HT. Everyone goes nuts over pics of a freshly sculpted prototype, masterfully painted by JC Hong. Even though you tell them till you're blue in the face that the production version won't be as good, they PO in their droves in the hope they can prove you wrong. Then they lose it over crappy phone pics taken in the Secret Base, cancel orders and then see that it maybe wasn't so bad when you see better pics. It's a minefield!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I always expect a certain amount of drop-off from Prototype to Production (anyone expecting these things to turn out like the ONE head JC Hong paints and shows-off on his FB page is naive -- to put it politely). I PO'd -- for the last time -- the Sideshow Luke, mainly because I thought the sculpt reflected Mark's more beat-up look in Jedi (plus it didn't have that silly, mouth-breather thing going on that HT did), but the massive drop-off from Proto to Production is so staggering as to be outside the realm of acceptable. After how good their Mythos Obi-Wan turned out, it is actually surprising that their Luke figure seems to have taken a 10-year backward leap in production quality. They should really stick to robots and aliens in their sixth scale lines, as they clearly cannot do likenesses from real people -- or something is going horribly wrong at the factory end, and they are too cheap to hire a Chinese person to do some quality control.

This is probably the only way I'll be able to display Sideshow's Return of the Jedi Luke and get away with saying "See, I have all three of the major characters represented." (Assuming I don't sell it):

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Edd83410
scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Proxy_28

How did you manage to find Inigo's Luke, Roger? Did someone post a link over at the Freaks somewhere?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I suspect likeness is in the eye of the beholder. I saw a few different images of that Inigo custom sculpt Roger mentioned, and some looked great, some not so great (perhaps it depends on who painted it) -- to me.

As for Hot Toys, I think they not only surpassed any other large-production-run "sixth-scale" likeness of the character, but also got it down very well -- already on the ANH Luke, but even more so on the ROTJ Luke. Of course lighting makes a difference on both the actor's features and the product, and so does facial expression.

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 Htluke10

While looking around for the Inigo sculpt, I came across the following:

scifi - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 3 3df537f9262799a9cb762c93302e9a2f

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like that New Hope sculpt better than the current one. How bizarre how close Hamill is to Stan in likeness. I wonder if I shouldn’t try to track down the New Hope figure...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I like that New Hope sculpt better than the current one. How bizarre how close Hamill is to Stan in likeness. I wonder if I shouldn’t try to track down the New Hope figure...

If it is not available or indecently expensive, there is a very close knockoff head (and possibly clothes/accessories set) just like there was for ANH Leia.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I always expect a certain amount of drop-off from Prototype to Production (anyone expecting these things to turn out like the ONE head JC Hong paints and shows-off on his FB page is naive -- to put it politely). I PO'd -- for the last time -- the Sideshow Luke, mainly because I thought the sculpt reflected Mark's more beat-up look in Jedi (plus it didn't have that silly, mouth-breather thing going on that HT did), but the massive drop-off from Proto to Production is so staggering as to be outside the realm of acceptable. After how good their Mythos Obi-Wan turned out, it is actually surprising that their Luke figure seems to have taken a 10-year backward leap in production quality. They should really stick to robots and aliens in their sixth scale  lines, as they clearly cannot do likenesses from real people -- or something is going horribly wrong at the factory end, and they are too cheap to hire a Chinese person to do some quality control.

This is probably the only way I'll be able to display Sideshow's Return of the Jedi Luke and get away with saying "See, I have all three of the major characters represented." (Assuming I don't sell it):

How did you manage to find Inigo's Luke, Roger? Did someone post a link over at the Freaks somewhere?

I don't have the head, Inigo posts regularly on FB as does Silentsurfer. I have the original SSC Jedi Luke, in my roof! I quite liked it at the time, not now though!

CHEERS!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

In Gubernator's pics I get it about the idealised likeness. It doesn't look quite haggard enough to be Mark as he was then. They also idealised the NT Leia quite a bit in that they took away Carrie's obvious coke nose. Her septum rotted out so they had to sew the tip of her nose down to hide the hole. HT just aged a young Carrie.

It would be interesting to see if you could put Luke hair on an HT Winter Soldier head to see if a better Luke emerges.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I actually broke down and found a New Hope Luke, not too badly marked up on eBay. I’ll probably keep parts from Sideshow’s ROTJ Luke, and see if I can’t sell off the rest parted out. I’ve heard folks don’t mind the Endor sculpt (since the helmet helps the likeness some), so I’ll probably get rid of that stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum