OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Back in the mists of last year, NECA announced they were making an Ultimate Gremlin, we saw these:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost VLpGRN0

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost NIKi4eF

There was much excitement and rejoicing. Then, mmm, not much actually. We waited and waited. NECA then gave us a release date. Rejoicing again! It was Christmas Eve..... bahh humbug! Anybody in the know will know that Gremlins is a Christmas movie, but, we wouldn't get the figures on the big day!

Early bird buyers, buying from NECA's site, began to get them, and the video reviews began to trickle in. Like this one:

There were a lot of stiff joints, and even one or two broken joints, but, I was undeterred. As he came with so many accessories, just the one figure wouldn't do, but 3 would. A few QC issues with badly fitted jaws also came to light. Still, I could pick mine from a bricks and mortar store and could get good ones.

Then I asked said store when they were getting them in, and the end of January was the answer. EBay stores said the 25th. I went the week after, no Gremlins! February began, nothing! Heeeeelllp!!! Finally, yesterday, I entered the store, and left happily with 3 Ultimate Gremlins! HALLELUJAH!!

When I got home, I began unboxing and checking each figure. Here's a breakdown of each one:

Gremlin 1:

The jaw was pretty straight and able to close all the way. The leg joints were locked solid, but he could stand up so I left them alone. The shoulder joints were stiff, but moved. Elbows weren't bad, they hinged, but the swivel was really stiff. The remedy was to heat them with a hair dryer, they freed up after that. The hands twisted, but the wrists wouldn't bend. Heat helped the left, but the right was locked solid.

I left him overnight to settle.

This is as he looked earlier today:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost 8r01mMx

Closed jaws:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost NFFxo3q

The fingers weren't good:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost TFLcAqe

The legs and feet were fine:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost WuRnx0k

Ear detail:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost LJBBRPP

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost 25TqgAd

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost LVgUEWc

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost JN2Wkx4

They are supposed to hinge back and forth and move on a balljoint, mine are solid with paint. Not going to move and ruin them.

Here's something you don't see much, a Gremlin butt!:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost VjNuudq

As the fingers weren't going to hold any of the accessories, I decided to make him the 3D glasses Gremlin. He will get a popcorn bucket to clutch when I get my Gamer Gremlin (More on him later.).

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Nz7mMcv

He's an homage to this:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost YxVND7G

Gremlin 2:

Pretty much the same story with the joints, same elbows, legs and ears and the same remedies.

This was as he looked:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Dib6q7d

Better hands:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost XXkeHZi

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost 9mW68KQ

Or so I thought, I couldn't get him to hold the cola, so I swapped hands with Gremlin 3. This led to my favourite look:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost ZmPrfvZ

He cracks me up!

Gremlin 3:

Same few joints again. However, this one had a weak torso. I ran superglue into the joint while moving it and it's all good now.

This is how he looked initially:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost G3TkvFl

Here he is with the joints fixed and hand swapped, another fave look:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost 4ltnlaW

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost FcgWj4K

There was a frantic moment when I thought I'd lost the cigarette. I took the accessories away to work on the torso, and couldn't find it! I searched the bed, the floor, everywhere! No joy! Then I looked in his mouth, the little SOB had eaten it!!

All in all I couldn't be happier with them, they are the best NECA figures I've had. That said, I will repaint them a little after I get set up. I want to bring them closer to the movie puppets and make them a little more individual. The plan is to move in May. Trouble is, that's when this guy lands:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost 9DvXwAb

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost KT2QKkg

He's the exclusive Gamer Gremlin. In the US you will find him in Gamestop, but, UK buyers will be able to get him from stores that stock the regular ones. I have mine on PO already.

Boy, that was quite some thread, I'm off to collapse now........

CHEERS!

PS (I didn't use the Brad Bites or the Doo Dah Bar as they weren't in the movie.)

2NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Being overrun with Gremlins... who thought that would be a good thing? They do look great. So are the legs (and knees?) supposed to be articulated, even if you plan to just have them stand?

3NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
These are so great! Forgive my ignorance, I am unfamiliar with NECA, so just wondering...what scale are these ones?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
They look good, and funny. Your efforts to correct the issues seems to have worked brilliantly. I’m surprised one of them didn’t come with a DVD of Snow White, that would have been a nice nod.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost C8485110

5NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:25 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Being overrun with Gremlins... who thought that would be a good thing? They do look great. So are the legs (and knees?) supposed to be articulated, even if you plan to just have them stand?

Yes they are, a lot, there's hinges and swivels everywhere. If the joints were free they could can can, sit, kneel and do the splits. Trouble being, if they were that free, they'd never stand up. They are very top heavy. The original puppets never actually stood, the majority were rod puppets or half figures. The long shot where you see hundreds was done with stop motion puppets, but, you didn't really see them run or walk.

CHEERS!

6NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:These are so great! Forgive my ignorance, I am unfamiliar with NECA, so just wondering...what scale are these ones?

Good question! The Gremlins themselves are around 1/6. Their accessories are all over the shop. The cola, if served in McDonalds, would be a small, not as big as you get in a cinema. The beer wouldn't even be a half. The 3D glasses are 1/5, way too big for an HT head. Thing is, I put a pair on my TOTS one and they barely fit. I'm thinking that the props department for the movie may have made props for the Gremlins that were scaled to them and not humans. That's the only way I can make them make sense.

CHEERS!

7NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:49 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:They look good, and funny. Your efforts to correct the issues seems to have worked brilliantly. I’m surprised one of them didn’t come with a DVD of Snow White, that would have been a nice nod.

They worked as well as could be expected. The more I look at them and think about them, the less Ulitmate they become. Had they been true Ultimates, the paint would have matched that original prototype to the letter. Other Ultimates have been extremely good with paint apps. What I think happened here was that NECA, anticipating demand, decided to make loads of them and turned the chores over to the regular team, the ones that do all the carded figures. These figures have all the issues you associate with the carded ones, dodgy joints, over painted joints, unfinished paint. Don't forget that I said that mine were good ones, and possibly all from the same batch.

I went back into the store after I bought mine, and they'd replaced the one I took off the shelf. That replacement one was dreadful, the eyes were sloppy, there was paint slop on the teeth. I don't know what the joints were like. Others have had badly misaligned jaws and all sorts of hell going on.

If you're in the US and you want one, go to Target or any brick and mortar store where you can pick and choose. Don't order by post. I've done that with the Gamer, but, I know the owner, and he doesn't send duds.

BTW, Gremlins is an 80's movie, so Snow White would have been on VHS.

CHEERS!

8NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Rogerbee wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:These are so great! Forgive my ignorance, I am unfamiliar with NECA, so just wondering...what scale are these ones?

Good question! The Gremlins themselves are around 1/6. Their accessories are all over the shop. The cola, if served in McDonalds, would be a small, not as big as you get in a cinema. The beer wouldn't even be a half. The 3D glasses are 1/5, way too big for an HT head. Thing is, I put a pair on my TOTS one and they barely fit. I'm thinking that the props department for the movie may have made props for the Gremlins that were scaled to them and not humans. That's the only way I can make them make sense.

Ah , gotcha! Sounds frustrating, but you've made them look good! Smile

9NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

The other thing with the cola is that it would ordinarily have a lid. I guess NECA wanted to show off a bit and make it a special prop, but, if I'd done all the promo poses with it, in reality, the cola would be all down the Gremlin! The OCD in me made sure that the beer and the cola were straight and level.

CHEERS!

10NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:25 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
WARNING:

Even if the legs are rock solid and you think you've got the pose just right, the little buggers will spontaneously topple over! Just had one of mine go. Best advice would be to get some figure stands. NECA do clear ones in packs of 10.

CHEERS!

11NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
You must not have had any damage, or we probably would have heard you screaming and swearing on this side of the Pond. Mad

12NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Thankfully there is a stack of boxes and bags in front of the cupboard they're standing on, so they had a reasonably soft landing. If they'd fallen off a high shelf there would have been much more damage. I bought the stands quick sharp before any more bedlam ensues. It's a good thing I have multiples of the accessories as they could disappear.

Speaking of accessories, I finally found a good pic of the original popcorn bag Gremlin:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost ELEpIzR

Crumpled my bags now!

CHEERS!

13NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I think I may have to get another Gremlin, I spotted one in the movie theatre and I've got to do him:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost K4AwRYe

The one with the cap, you get the cap with the Gamer Gremlin. He looks so funny! Also, look what else you see in that pic. The cola cups had lids on! I knew NECA were just showing off when they put that fancy ice in them!

CHEERS!

14NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Gamer Gremlin at the Toy Fair:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost WRSIcoY

What I would do if I had the space and money:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost OUa445w

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost YqtD5rn

SO cool!

CHEERS!

15NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! That theatre dio is awesome. Is that a piece someone made? Or does NECA offer that?

16NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I believe it's something they had made, I doubt it would be available. I'd settle for just a chair. My popcorn bag Gremlin can't stay on his feet. He'll either get a stand or be relegated depending on how other bodies fare when I get them.

CHEERS!

17NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:47 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Remember how I said that the scales of the accessories are all over the place? Well, it turns out that the 3D glasses are 1/3 scale! I put them on my Lugosi Dracula and they fit perfectly!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Y5FW9tK

LOL! Go figure!

CHEERS!

18NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
1/3! Why would they do that? How hard would it have been to make them in the proper scale...

I would think they’d be fairly easy to make yourself correctly with two sheets of blue and red film and some poster board.

19NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Well they look good on Bela Lugosi, lol. Very Happy

20NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:1/3! Why would they do that? How hard would it have been to make them in the proper scale...

I would think they’d be fairly easy to make yourself correctly with two sheets of blue and red film and some poster board.

Perhaps it was as small as they could go and still have them functional and be mass produced. They don't look too bad on the Gremlin. The 1/1 ones on my TOTS only just fit.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum