OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kit and Garage Workshop - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Finally!!!!  I've been working on this for what feel like forever, but I've FINALLY finished my 1/6 garage.  Since it's her home in the wastelands, the 1st photoshoot with it was a good chance to formally introduce Kit and a bit of her backstory. I hope no one minds me indulging in a few kinda pin-up shots on this one. Wink Buckle up, this is a big one, with a ton of smaller projects all rolled up as a part of this. I hope you enjoy it.

If you're just checking in on the post-apocalyptic world of The Radio Kings, and want to start with a bit of background and read in the order the characters were introduced:

Saint Crow: 1st of the Radio Kings - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t149-saint-crow-1st-of-the-radio-kings-post-apocalyptic-warlord-king-s-currency-wasteland-salvaged-records-turntable-and-speakers-megapost

Marrow: The Deathblessed - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t545-marrow-the-deathblessed-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

Ever since she was young, Kit had been a mechanical savant.  She'd pour over any textbooks, technical journals, or schematics she could scavenge, soaking up information, and tinkering with anything she found.  She had an almost intuitive understanding of how things functioned, and by 13 she was helping to improve her community's settlement, building water purification systems and ways to generate electricity in their small enclave.  She was 16 when the raiders came.  They took everything, killed everyone, and only she was spared.  Their leader recognized her usefulness, and dragged her back to Grist, the fortified city they had made the center of their growing empire.  

For 7 years she lived as a prisoner, tending to their machines and weapons.  She's dream of sabotaging them, of someday killing them all, but she'd seen the extent of their brutality first hand, and knew the severity of the punishment for betrayal.  She had begun to give up hope when Saint Crow arrived.  By day's end, most of the raiders were dead, including their leader and all of his most loyal followers.  As she watched the carnage, while he carried out her bloody and brutal revenge, she knew that she would follow him anywhere.

She returned with him to Transmission Hold, where the community welcomed her in, and helped set her up in a old garage that she has made her workshop and her new home.   Since her arrival she's worked to upgrade city's infrastructure, as well as taken on any other projects that catch her interest.  There was something different about this group, something rare and good that she saw in these people, something she found that she so badly wanted a part in helping to build.

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage001_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage002_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage003_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage004_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage005_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage006_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage007_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage008_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage009_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage010_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage011_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage012_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage013_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage014_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage015_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage016_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage017_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage018_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage019_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage020_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage021_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage022_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage023_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage024_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage025_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage026_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage027_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage028_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage029_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage030_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage031_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage032_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage033_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage034_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage035_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage036_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage037_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage038_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage039_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage040_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage041_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage042_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage043_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage044_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage045_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage046_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage047_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage048_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage049_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage050_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage051_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage052_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage053_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage054_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage055_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage056_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage057_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage058_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage059_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage060_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage061_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage062_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage063_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage064_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage065_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage066_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage067_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage068_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage069_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage070_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage071_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage072_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage073_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage074_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage075_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage076_1_orig

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Kitgarage077_1_orig

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Holy cow, Rev. That is really great. All the tools and little details. Excellent paint and weathering; love the chainsaw and rifle used as the forks on your BMW mod. Kit is a cool new character, and as usual your natural and realistic posing was effective. Love Marrow having fun. Definitely worth the time and effort you put into this build.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Woooooowwwwwww!!! I knew there was something awesome coming , but this surpassed any expectations! The lighting, the composition of the shots , not to mention the insane level of details on the diorama itself. The tools, the food, the post apocalyptic kitty cat, so cute! Your aesthetic, as always , is incredibly appealing. I have been very dubious about tbleague bodies for a long time, as i am not super keen on the aesthetic surrounding their marketing, but your figures and pics always make them look SO good , and it has a lot to do with their outfits/looks, setting , and poses. All the poses here are excellent — I love the embrace between Kit and Saint Crow, and Marrow’s acrobatics in the rafters look very natural and really show off the flexibility of those bodies .... not to mention your posing skills!!

There’s tons more I could point out, but it’s late here and my eyes are tired and I’m squinting on my phone . But you can be sure I’ll be coming back to view these gorgeous pics again!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is gorgeous. It is amazing how you have created or kitbashed all this, and how well it all fits together. The attention to detail and the natural, used/lived-in appearance you have achieved are very impressive. And this extends to every aspect of this, from the figures themselves, to their accessories, to the background and diorama items. Very happy you shared all this with us.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:Holy cow, Rev. That is really great. All the tools and little details. Excellent paint and weathering; love the chainsaw and rifle used as the forks on your BMW mod. Kit is a cool new character, and as usual your natural and realistic posing was effective. Love Marrow having fun. Definitely worth the time and effort you put into this build.

Than you so much man!!!  And I'm so glad Marrow's getting into trouble comes through right.  I'm always trying to get across a sense of the character in these photos, so hering it comes across leaves me thrilled.  The chainsaw and rifle are actually both kinda holstered there, and are fully removable.  It seemed like a good spot where they'd both be within reach.  And I wish the weathering on the tank and seat came through a bit better in photos, but I'll definitely be doing some outdoor shots of the bike when the weather's better, and I think it'll really pop outside.  Before then, let I'm open to any suggestions, especially from someone who rides and has probably thought about it,  to pack more detail into the bike.  I feel like it just needs more.

skywalkersaga wrote:Woooooowwwwwww!!! I knew there was something awesome coming , but this surpassed any expectations! The lighting, the composition of the shots , not to mention the insane level of details on the diorama itself. The tools, the food, the post apocalyptic kitty cat, so cute! Your aesthetic, as always , is incredibly appealing. I have been very dubious about tbleague bodies for a long time, as i am not super keen on the aesthetic surrounding their marketing, but your figures and pics always make them look SO good , and it has a lot to do with their outfits/looks, setting , and poses. All the poses here are excellent — I love the embrace between Kit and Saint Crow, and Marrow’s acrobatics in the rafters look very natural and really show off the flexibility of those bodies .... not to mention your posing skills!!

There’s tons more I could point out, but it’s late here and my eyes are tired and I’m squinting on my phone . But you can be sure I’ll be coming back to view these gorgeous pics again!

Thank you so much!!!  When the end of civilization comes, cats really will inherit the earth.  And I'm so glad you like everything!  I agree, there can be a real tackiness to some of TBL's marketing, but to me, these bodies have been such a game changer in the hobby.  If you haven't picked one up yet, give one a try.  There's an extra natural quality to the articulation that's hard to put in to words, but after playing with one, the way it emulates the body is incredible.  These's a subtle movement to how the shoulders and hips can move, and you can just get such natural and lifelike poses.  Even f I were completely covering it it, I'd still want to use it for any figure I'm doing.  And being able to nail those poses makes playing with these bodies so incredibly fun.  

And REALLY happy that moment between Kit & Crow worked.  I played around with it a lot before I got something that looked natural, so it's a HUGE relief to hear it comes through.

GubernatorFan wrote:This is gorgeous. It is amazing how you have created or kitbashed all this, and how well it all fits together. The attention to detail and the natural, used/lived-in appearance you have achieved are very impressive. And this extends to every aspect of this, from the figures themselves, to their accessories, to the background and diorama items. Very happy you shared all this with us.

Thank you a ton man!  I have been dying to share this with you guys, and hearing you dig it means so much.  This is by far the biggest project I've undertaken, and knowing that work comes through is the best thing I could hear.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very impressive. You mentioned in an earlier thread that you bought a Ford Engine.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t829-16-scale-ford-v8-engine

How does it look in the scene?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you so much!!!  When the end of civilization comes, cats really will inherit the earth.  

A terrifying prospect, indeed. XD

ReverendSpooky wrote:And I'm so glad you like everything!  I agree, there can be a real tackiness to some of TBL's marketing, but to me, these bodies have been such a game changer in the hobby.  If you haven't picked one up yet, give one a try.  There's an extra natural quality to the articulation that's hard to put in to words, but after playing with one, the way it emulates the body is incredible.  These's a subtle movement to how the shoulders and hips can move, and you can just get such natural and lifelike poses.  Even f I were completely covering it it, I'd still want to use it for any figure I'm doing.  And being able to nail those poses makes playing with these bodies so incredibly fun.  

You're absolutely right! They are indeed a game changer, for me as well. I finally picked one up last month -- the s25b, as I desperately needed it for a more petite character in a shoulder-revealing outfit. I was really skeptical, mainly about the overly large bust size, etc., but once I had it in hand I could understand the potential and the appeal a lot more. And while I do find the, er, bust issue rather irksome, the pose-ability of it is indeed incredible, especially compared to many other bodies I've been attempting to use. I liked it so much in fact, I picked up another of the same make straight away, for a different version of the same character. Once I can afford to, I'll be picking up a couple more for another character as well. I probably won't be able to venture into the 'regular' taller bodies too much yet as nearly all the female figures I'm working on are quite short, but I'm very tempted! Speaking of which, do you mind me asking which tbleague bodies all your figures in the above pics are on? Others with more experience might be able to tell just by looking, but I'm still trying to learn. Smile

I do think that, ideally, one would have bodies like this for every figure, even the more clothed ones. For my purposes though, at this point, it would not only be too costly, but also would not work with every single character, since there are not yet bodies in the right shapes and sizes for them, etc. Or, to do it properly would be a ton of extra work, such as with that potential Anakin figure and his mech arm that I was asking about a little while back. ;p

ReverendSpooky wrote:And REALLY happy that moment between Kit & Crow worked.  I played around with it a lot before I got something that looked natural, so it's a HUGE relief to hear it comes through.

It's WONDERFUL. But then I'm sucker for those kinds of interactions. In fact, one of the main reasons I got into collecting action figures in general was so that I could have a chance for my various favourite fictional 'ships', both platonic and romantic, to have happy and loving moments together in miniature form. But to my consternation, I have found that a lot of figures and dolls out there are simply NOT articulated enough or in the right way to even accomplish a simple embrace. So that is another benefit of more naturally poseable bodies -- that you can have them interact with each other much more closely like that. : )

Re: your diorama -- I had also wanted to mention something about the bike, but since I am not very knowledgeable about such things, my comment was just going to be a very fangirly 'omg, that is so freaking awesome!!' and also ' I LOVE THAT CHAINSAW!!!!' Laughing

Ephiane

Ephiane
affraid Amazing ! Hard to say what´s the best detail. I think it´s the garage itself. The figures and poses are fantastic as ever. That is the next level of Dio Building. Not only two walls for a Background. The high ceiling turns the Dio into a complete Building. The craftsman Breakfast is so funny  Very Happy
You can open the garage door and place a picture behind. Not directly, with a little distance. So we can see the world outside Wink Years ago i enlarge Background Photos in a copy shop. Easy way is now to download Post apocalyptic Wallpapers on a USB Stick and use it on the TV Screen with the dio / figure in front of.

blackpool

blackpool
Absolutely stunning!!! I already told you on instagram but that diorama is such a masterpiece, so many gorgeous details it hurts lol! I love how every part seems to have lived a century of repairs, wars, and history, I can smell dust, old patina, and engine oil!

Seriously amazing, the windows, the furniture, and the story telling and pictures are just outstanding as well, the characters fit perfectly, there is a perfect osmose like in Dorgmal's works!

Crazy!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane, I also loved the "craftsman breakfast" bit in particular. But you might be right, what really ties all this together and really sells the intended look is the diorama itself. Speaking of which, photos projected on a TV screen might be a problem because of possible reflection (depending on the use of light). Printed backgrounds might still be preferable. Unless you have another trick up your sleeve.

ravrohan

That's really amazing! The set is so detailed I can't imagine how long that took. The figure posing is natural looking and really helps me see what these bodies can do. I was being to easy on them I see now.

Thanks for the effort and sharing this with us Very Happy

Ephiane

Ephiane
GubernatorFan wrote:Ephiane, I also loved the "craftsman breakfast" bit in particular. But you might be right, what really ties all this together and really sells the intended look is the diorama itself. Speaking of which, photos projected on a TV screen might be a problem because of possible reflection (depending on the use of light). Printed backgrounds might still be preferable. Unless you have another trick up your sleeve.

OK....not the best ones. But i did it in some minutes. My Tv is like all my stuff Old and not the best Quality. But i think it works... Neutral Just to look will it work or not, and sorry for to place my Pics in the Thread of another Friend here.

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings 20190212

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings 20190211

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I see. It does work, as long as you're careful about the light. And I am sure the good Reverend does not mind (and if he does, I apologize for being the instigator) but I bet this will give him additional ideas, too. The reality of his diorama still makes it all the more impressive in my book.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:Very impressive. You mentioned in an earlier thread that you bought a Ford Engine.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t829-16-scale-ford-v8-engine

How does it look in the scene?

Thank you!  The scale and detail on the engine look perfect, but I want to give it a repaint before using it.  It's too simple and flat as is, but I think with some solid painting and weathering it'll look incredible.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you so much!!!  When the end of civilization comes, cats really will inherit the earth.  

A terrifying prospect, indeed. XD

I already live in service of 2 small furry overlords.  My life probably wouldn't change much.  Razz

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And I'm so glad you like everything!  I agree, there can be a real tackiness to some of TBL's marketing, but to me, these bodies have been such a game changer in the hobby.  If you haven't picked one up yet, give one a try.  There's an extra natural quality to the articulation that's hard to put in to words, but after playing with one, the way it emulates the body is incredible.  These's a subtle movement to how the shoulders and hips can move, and you can just get such natural and lifelike poses.  Even f I were completely covering it it, I'd still want to use it for any figure I'm doing.  And being able to nail those poses makes playing with these bodies so incredibly fun.  

You're absolutely right! They are indeed a game changer, for me as well. I finally picked one up last month -- the s25b, as I desperately needed it for a more petite character in a shoulder-revealing outfit. I was really skeptical, mainly about the overly large bust size, etc., but once I had it in hand I could understand the potential and the appeal a lot more. And while I do find the, er, bust issue rather irksome, the pose-ability of it is indeed incredible, especially compared to many other bodies I've been attempting to use. I liked it so much in fact, I picked up another of the same make straight away, for a different version of the same character. Once I can afford to, I'll be picking up a couple more for another character as well. I probably won't be able to venture into the 'regular' taller bodies too much yet as nearly all the female figures I'm working on are quite short, but I'm very tempted! Speaking of which, do you mind me asking which tbleague bodies all your figures in the above pics are on? Others with more experience might be able to tell just by looking, but I'm still trying to learn. Smile

I do think that, ideally, one would have bodies like this for every figure, even the more clothed ones. For my purposes though, at this point, it would not only be too costly, but also would not work with every single character, since there are not yet bodies in the right shapes and sizes for them, etc. Or, to do it properly would be a ton of extra work, such as with that potential Anakin figure and his mech arm that I was asking about a little while back. ;p

I still think adding that arm to an M32 or M33 body would be pretty easy to do, not to mention a fun project.  And it would look AWESOME.  

The thing is, while all a bit taller than old jointed bodies, I think the Phicen bodies scale pretty well with each other.  Saint Crow is on an M32, which is the leanest, most wiry looking build.  Funny enough, it was advertised as the perfect "Bruce Lee" body type, but actually might be the tallest regular body (not counting the new super tall bodies).  Marrow is on the S16A, which is the average height (She's shorter than Saint Crow) thinner body, with narrower hips and shoulders and a smaller bust size, and pale.  Kit is on a S17B, which is the same body but in "Suntan" (TBL's more common color).  These are probably my 3 favorite bodies they've put out.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And REALLY happy that moment between Kit & Crow worked.  I played around with it a lot before I got something that looked natural, so it's a HUGE relief to hear it comes through.

It's WONDERFUL. But then I'm sucker for those kinds of interactions. In fact, one of the main reasons I got into collecting action figures in general was so that I could have a chance for my various favourite fictional 'ships', both platonic and romantic, to have happy and loving moments together in miniature form. But to my consternation, I have found that a lot of figures and dolls out there are simply NOT articulated enough or in the right way to even accomplish a simple embrace. So that is another benefit of more naturally poseable bodies -- that you can have them interact with each other much more closely like that. : )

Re: your diorama -- I had also wanted to mention something about the bike, but since I am not very knowledgeable about such things, my comment was just going to be a very fangirly 'omg, that is so freaking awesome!!' and also ' I LOVE THAT CHAINSAW!!!!' Laughing

I fully agree, and actually having characters able to interact is a necessity. It's another area the TBL bodies really excel (damn, they should be giving me kickbacks the way I promote for them) and I love being able to do scenes with multiple characters.  I want to be able to portray those relationships, and convey them through their body language.  Although I have some villains to introduce soon too, so we'll also see how well then can portray some good old fashion violence.

AS for the chainsaw, it's one of my favorite accessories I've made.  The best part is that it winds up and the chain actually rotates!!!  Here's a good shot of Saint Crow swinging it around:

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings Img-9247_2_orig

Ephiane wrote:affraid Amazing ! Hard to say what´s the best detail. I think it´s the garage itself. The figures and poses are fantastic as ever. That is the next level of Dio Building. Not only two walls for a Background. The high ceiling turns the Dio into a complete Building. The craftsman Breakfast is so funny  Very Happy
You can open the garage door and place a picture behind. Not directly, with a little distance. So we can see the world outside Wink Years ago i enlarge Background Photos in a copy shop. Easy way is now to download Post apocalyptic Wallpapers on a USB Stick and use it on the TV Screen with the dio / figure in front of.

Thank you Ephiane!  I'm loving the term "craftsman breakfast" too, and it perfectly sums it up.  In the wasteland (or if you're lazy) sometimes you get creative with your cooking.  I was thinking about showing what's beyond the open garage door too, and I have a friend who has a ton of success using a monitor for a backdrop.  The garage is HUGE (4 feet wide) so getting it postitioned in front of a moniter could be tricky.  That said, getting the lighting right on a printed background that far back in the dio can be tricky too, where as the glow of the monitor might actually be helpful.  I'll have to do some experimenting.

blackpool wrote:Absolutely stunning!!! I already told you on instagram but that diorama is such a masterpiece, so many gorgeous details it hurts lol! I love how every part seems to have lived a century of repairs, wars, and history, I can smell dust, old patina, and engine oil!

Seriously amazing, the windows, the furniture, and the story telling and pictures are just outstanding as well, the characters fit perfectly, there is a perfect osmose like in Dorgmal's works!

Crazy!

Thank you so much man.  Appreciated, here and on Instagram. After the conversation here on how buildings decay, I knew I had to make it look like it had been through a bit.  Not to mention, I have a big love for old industrial spaces like this, so I was really aiming to get that feel.  Thrilled when I hear that it comes through.

GubernatorFan wrote:Ephiane, I also loved the "craftsman breakfast" bit in particular. But you might be right, what really ties all this together and really sells the intended look is the diorama itself. Speaking of which, photos projected on a TV screen might be a problem because of possible reflection (depending on the use of light). Printed backgrounds might still be preferable. Unless you have another trick up your sleeve.

The light the screen gives off actually compensates a bit for the reflection, But I think you're totally right about how you light it making all the difference.  Either way, getting a monitor behind it, or lighting a printed backdrop both have their plusses and minuses.  But it really is worth exploring, and is a photo I now really want to take.  

ravrohan wrote:That's really amazing!  The set is so detailed I can't imagine how long that took.  The figure posing is natural looking and really helps me see what these bodies can do.  I was being to easy on them I see now.  

Thanks for the effort and sharing this with us Very Happy

Than you Ravrohan!  Yeah, I'm still amazed what you can get out of the Phicen figures.  They're actually surprisingly durable too, and worth pushing to those extreme poses for a shot.  I don't usually leave them displayed too dramatically, since I hear that leaving them stretched or crunched is what takes it's toll, but they can definitely handle a bit of a beating when you're handling them.

Ephiane wrote:

OK....not the best ones. But i did it in some minutes. My Tv is like all my stuff Old and not the best Quality. But i think it works... Neutral Just to look will it work or not, and sorry for to place my Pics in the Thread of another Friend here.

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings 20190212

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19889550/269]Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings 20190211[/url

Both REALLY fun shots!  I think the glow from the monitor actually adds to the lighting in these a bit.  I keep saying I need to experiment more with either printed or on-screen backgrounds, especially as if I want to do something really big and impossible to produce otherwise.  But then I start building something and just can't stop...

GubernatorFan wrote:I see. It does work, as long as you're careful about the light. And I am sure the good Reverend does not mind (and if he does, I apologize for being the instigator) but I bet this will give him additional ideas, too. The reality of his diorama still makes it all the more impressive in my book.

Hell yes!  It really does make we want to try for some more insane backgrounds.  I actually paid for a full online course (it's all videos, so I can get to it when I get to it) on digitally combining images and backgrounds.  It's like 40 hours of lessons, and I'm sure will require some practice, so I've been putting off delving into it.  But there are a ton of amazing weird and decaying industrial buildings in my area I'd love to photograph myself and then combine with figures.  

While you can definitely get some great results digitally or with backdrops, for me, nothing beats an actual dio.  At the end of the day, I think they're the most fun, simply because they're an actual space you can set things up and play around, and physically interact with.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I love the additional shot of Saint Crow with that chainsaw. And so cool that it winds up and rotates! Not that this would have been necessary for your imaging...

As far as the printed background, you could appoint a separate task light (or whatever and however many lighting fixtures you choose) to illuminate it separately from whatever is in front (like the walls and doorframe of the room). You also don't have to worry about glare (if it is printed on non-glossy paper with non-glossy inks) or pixelation (if you have chosen a high enough resolution image). But if you can keep the lighting out of the way and the pixelation is not an issue, by all means you could use an image projected on a large enough screen.

One additional advantage of a printed background that would not apply to these particular settings (for the most part), is that if it is tall enough and if the bottom portion would work as ground cover, you could simply let it fold naturally (no crisp edge) forward and have your figures walking over it -- that is how Michael Crawford does the beautiful backfdrops in his reviews and one can hardly notice. Of course then the issue is not casting a tell-tale shadow. Smile Here is an example from my M35 review (though the shadow is not perfect and I had only a small amount of material to use as flat ground):

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings M3561a10

Being able to combine the items you photograph with another digital background is an impressive art. But it seems to me that there is something to be said for being able to pull it off without special effects too, so to speak. You certainly didn't need any in these beautiful, evocative scenes.

shazzdan

shazzdan
I think a regular TV screen works best for backdrops that have their own integral light sources - such as the windows in the first of Ephiane's photos. I have a curved OLED TV. It doesn't use a backlight like a regular TV and the gentle curve helps create an illusion of depth. It should be a lot more versatile for making backdrops.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote: I still think adding that arm to an M32 or M33 body would be pretty easy to do, not to mention a fun project.  And it would look AWESOME.  

Ahh, yess... that is one of my 'dream' projects for sure. I've really just been waiting til I have the right tools for it, as I don't currently have all that much at my disposal. Because I'll need to not only do the arm itself, but I'll also have to modify a headsculpt in order to use it with the tbleague body. Probably one of those knock-off Hot Toys ones to practice on at the very least. Razz And I'm still undecided which body I'd use, but thinking on it...

I truly appreciate the encouragement and the advice about how to go about it, and it makes me even more determined to attempt it at some point.  <3

ReverendSpooky wrote:The thing is, while all a bit taller than old jointed bodies, I think the Phicen bodies scale pretty well with each other.  Saint Crow is on an M32, which is the leanest, most wiry looking build.  Funny enough, it was advertised as the perfect "Bruce Lee" body type, but actually might be the tallest regular body (not counting the new super tall bodies).  Marrow is on the S16A, which is the average height (She's shorter than Saint Crow) thinner body, with narrower hips and shoulders and a smaller bust size, and pale.  Kit is on a S17B, which is the same body but in "Suntan" (TBL's more common color).  These are probably my 3 favorite bodies they've put out.

That's a good point about them scaling with each other. And also very interesting to know that the M32 is in fact quite tall ... it surprised me how tall Saint Crow looked compared to the girls. I guess I hadn't previously noticed, but this set of photos really emphasized that!

And omg, that is so crazy.... those two female tbleague bodies are the exact ones I've been eyeing up for months now! I hadn't got either of them though as when I measured they were far too tall to work alongside the male figure I wanted to display them with, even if he'd had ankle extenders on. Hence why I've gone with the smaller bodies. It's also so interesting to me that those two characters are essentially on the same body -- I actually had guessed the one you used for Kit, but for whatever reason, the body on Marrow looks totally different! :O Just shows how versatile they are, depending on what headsculpt you use, what clothes they are wearing, etc. Thanks so much for explaining, as it actually confirms the ones I'd already been leaning toward from among the 'regular' sized tbleague bodies, as well.

ReverendSpooky wrote:I fully agree, and actually having characters able to interact is a necessity. It's another area the TBL bodies really excel (damn, they should be giving me kickbacks the way I promote for them) and I love being able to do scenes with multiple characters.  I want to be able to portray those relationships, and convey them through their body language.  Although I have some villains to introduce soon too, so we'll also see how well then can portray some good old fashion violence.

With your level of storytelling, I can completely understand the need for up close interaction, whether friendly or violent. : )

And ahhh, count me super excited to meet the villains from this 'verse! Given how awesome and badass your protagonists are, I can only imagine what the antagonists are like! Very Happy

ReverendSpooky wrote:AS for the chainsaw, it's one of my favorite accessories I've made.  The best part is that it winds up and the chain actually rotates!!!

A chainsaw sword....beyond amazing!!

Along with that motorized broom from the House of Seasons series, that chainsaw is one of the sexiest 1/6 acccessories I've encountered. ;D

Forgive me for focusing so much on the figures in my comments, as opposed to the gorgeous diorama. For what it's worth, I think that the nature of this particular setting, how utterly REAL and lived-in it feels, made me , in turn, even more appreciative of your characters.

Speaking of which, I may have missed this in your descriptions, but the red bandage/fabric tied around Crow and Marrow's hands....what does that signify?

Finally, a little detail I noticed this time around -- those stickers/decals on the worktables, crates, etc. are a small but brilliant touch! : )

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:I love the additional shot of Saint Crow with that chainsaw. And so cool that it winds up and rotates! Not that this would have been necessary for your imaging...

As far as the printed background, you could appoint a separate task light (or whatever and however many lighting fixtures you choose) to illuminate it separately from whatever is in front (like the walls and doorframe of the room). You also don't have to worry about glare (if it is printed on non-glossy paper with non-glossy inks) or pixelation (if you have chosen a high enough resolution image). But if you can keep the lighting out of the way and the pixelation is not an issue, by all means you could use an image projected on a large enough screen.

One additional advantage of a printed background that would not apply to these particular settings (for the most part), is that if it is tall enough and if the bottom portion would work as ground cover, you could simply let it fold naturally (no crisp edge) forward and have your figures walking over it -- that is how Michael Crawford does the beautiful backfdrops in his reviews and one can hardly notice. Of course then the issue is not casting a tell-tale shadow. Smile Here is an example from my M35 review (though the shadow is not perfect and I had only a small amount of material to use as flat ground):

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings M3561a10

Being able to combine the items you photograph with another digital background is an impressive art. But it seems to me that there is something to be said for being able to pull it off without special effects too, so to speak. You certainly didn't need any in these beautiful, evocative scenes.

That's actually pretty crazy how well that works!  I will have to give it a try.  I agree about preferring to just be able to capture an image like that.  But the course I got is actually taught by a pretty spectacular photographer, so I can see the potential for some amazing results.  

shazzdan wrote:I think a regular TV screen works best for backdrops that have their own integral light sources - such as the windows in the first of Ephiane's photos. I have a curved OLED TV. It doesn't use a backlight like a regular TV and the gentle curve helps create an illusion of depth. It should be a lot more versatile for making backdrops.

Interesting.  I've thought about using my TV too, and also might be worth some experimenting.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote: I still think adding that arm to an M32 or M33 body would be pretty easy to do, not to mention a fun project.  And it would look AWESOME.  

Ahh, yess... that is one of my 'dream' projects for sure. I've really just been waiting til I have the right tools for it, as I don't currently have all that much at my disposal. Because I'll need to not only do the arm itself, but I'll also have to modify a headsculpt in order to use it with the tbleague body. Probably one of those knock-off Hot Toys ones to practice on at the very least. Razz And I'm still undecided which body I'd use, but thinking on it...

I truly appreciate the encouragement and the advice about how to go about it, and it makes me even more determined to attempt it at some point.  <3

Yeah, I'd be hard pressed to imagine doing it without a dremel.  Although once you get one, it'll cover about 95% of your project needs.  
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:The thing is, while all a bit taller than old jointed bodies, I think the Phicen bodies scale pretty well with each other.  Saint Crow is on an M32, which is the leanest, most wiry looking build.  Funny enough, it was advertised as the perfect "Bruce Lee" body type, but actually might be the tallest regular body (not counting the new super tall bodies).  Marrow is on the S16A, which is the average height (She's shorter than Saint Crow) thinner body, with narrower hips and shoulders and a smaller bust size, and pale.  Kit is on a S17B, which is the same body but in "Suntan" (TBL's more common color).  These are probably my 3 favorite bodies they've put out.

That's a good point about them scaling with each other. And also very interesting to know that the M32 is in fact quite tall ... it surprised me how tall Saint Crow looked compared to the girls. I guess I hadn't previously noticed, but this set of photos really emphasized that!

And omg, that is so crazy.... those two female tbleague bodies are the exact ones I've been eyeing up for months now! I hadn't got either of them though as when I measured they were far too tall to work alongside the male figure I wanted to display them with, even if he'd had ankle extenders on. Hence why I've gone with the smaller bodies. It's also so interesting to me that those two characters are essentially on the same body -- I actually had guessed the one you used for Kit, but for whatever reason, the body on Marrow looks totally different! :O Just shows how versatile they are, depending on what headsculpt you use, what clothes they are wearing, etc. Thanks so much for explaining, as it actually confirms the ones I'd already been leaning toward from among the 'regular' sized tbleague bodies, as well.

Glad to help!  I hadn't even realized just how much that all makes a difference in perception.  

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:I fully agree, and actually having characters able to interact is a necessity. It's another area the TBL bodies really excel (damn, they should be giving me kickbacks the way I promote for them) and I love being able to do scenes with multiple characters.  I want to be able to portray those relationships, and convey them through their body language.  Although I have some villains to introduce soon too, so we'll also see how well then can portray some good old fashion violence.

With your level of storytelling, I can completely understand the need for up close interaction, whether friendly or violent. : )

And ahhh, count me super excited to meet the villains from this 'verse! Given how awesome and badass your protagonists are, I can only imagine what the antagonists are like! Very Happy

Seriously, thank you.  The wastelands forge some pretty nasty monsters, and I'm excited to introduce them.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:AS for the chainsaw, it's one of my favorite accessories I've made.  The best part is that it winds up and the chain actually rotates!!!

A chainsaw sword....beyond amazing!!

Along with that motorized broom from the House of Seasons series, that chainsaw is one of the sexiest 1/6 acccessories I've encountered. ;D

Forgive me for focusing so much on the figures in my comments, as opposed to the gorgeous diorama. For what it's worth, I think that the nature of this particular setting, how utterly REAL and lived-in it feels, made me , in turn, even more appreciative of your characters.

Speaking of which, I may have missed this in your descriptions, but the red bandage/fabric tied around Crow and Marrow's hands....what does that signify?

Finally, a little detail I noticed this time around -- those stickers/decals on the worktables, crates, etc. are a small but brilliant touch! : )

Ah, you have a great eye for the details!!!  I always hope that the environment helps bring the characters to life, and the characters give life to the environments.   And as long is the whole thing sucks you in to that world a bit, then I'm 10 kinds of happy.  

As to the red fabric, I've finally started committed to starting writing this story.  Here's an excerpt from right before Saint Crow enters the city of Grist:

"Put out your hand."

He hadn't known Marrow for that long, but long enough to know this wasn't a request.  He did as he was told.  She removed the tattered red cloth that she had always kept wrapped around her right hand, tore it lengthwise, and wrapped 1/2 around Crow's hand.  She held his hand a moment longer, then let it go, satisfied.  

"What is this?" he asked.  

"It's a piece of Abarath's cloak.  I was told that I was swaddled in it as a baby, and I always carry a piece of it with me.  And now, so will you."  

Crow looked at it a moment.  It was worn and stained, but somehow the color retained a vibrancy.  "Abarath?  The god you said watches over you?" He gave her a wry smile.  "So is this supposed to protect me in there?""

Marrow let out a little snort laugh.  It would probably have been adorable, if he hadn't heard her make the same noise after disemboweling someone.  "Abarath won't protect you.  He has no interest in your tiny life.  No, but wear his mark.  Go in there and stack the bodies of your enemies so high even the gods will take notice.  And if you die, die well.  Do it spectacularly, and maybe you too will dine at his table in the afterlife" she took his hand again and smiled that mad smile "where someday I'll meet you again."

And then she turned and disappeared back into the wastes.  

Peaches

Peaches
I'm a bit late to comment but that diaroma is amazing! How long did it take you to build it?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Peaches wrote:I'm a bit late to comment but that diaroma is amazing!  How long did it take you to build it?

Not late at all! The party's just getting started.

And thank you! I've probably been working on it for the last 6 months pretty steadily, but there are definitely some elements that I started on further back. It's a project I've been wanting to do for a couple years, but finally just committed to doing last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum