OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kit and Garage Workshop - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

ThePhotogsBlog

skywalkersaga wrote:Aww, yeah, it's true that some basic photography skills are helpful in this hobby, especially since the main way many people tend to share their customs and/or collections is via online platforms.  I very rarely share these things with people in RL, other than my husband -- not out of embarrassment but simply because there isn't always much interest. And even when people are interested, they may not quite understand the level of work that went into a figure, photoshoot, or display. One of many reasons why it's so nice to have a community like this who 'gets' it. Smile

That said, I think people here also understand that not everyone is going to master every single skill set all at once....however tough that is for me to remember in relation to myself, at times, lol!

Regarding the lighting in the photos above, I can understand the critique of it, though I also agree with Peaches in that I found it gave a natural effect... as though one were standing in the scene with the characters. Sometimes a garage like that might be a bit murky when inside it, even with the ceiling lights and windows, so for me the lighting was not overly distracting for that particular scene/sequence. Smile ETA: Photogsblog's additional comment re: 'altered reality' with lighting in photoshoots is a really good point and something I will also bear in mind! : )

It would indeed be neat to see night or darker photography with light contrasts, as it's something I'd be interested in too, for educational purposes. Though I'm more than happy to be along for the ride, wherever ReverendSpooky takes us. Very Happy

I think one of the things I might do at some point...once I've built up my figure collection a bit--I'm working on figure # 2 now and shortly expect to be working on 3&4-- is to shoot some diorama and other photos using different sorts of lighting....both flash and cheap LED lights along with lighting diagrams to explain how I shot them, and post them.

On the issue of doing things on the cheap, I'm reminded of a late glamor photographer named Peter Gowland. I was known for designing and building much of his equipment, including his own Camera's such as the Gowlandflex. But early in his career, he also built his own lighting equipment cheaply by installing lamp heads into empty oil cans and such. It's my opinion that the same can be done on to scale with modern LED lights and a bit of imagination in building accessories for them. I may try doing something like this come summer.

Tjolnir

holy smokes, that looks awesome.

can hardly image the time and sweat you put into, but it really paid off.
this is a piece of art and fits the theme perfectly.

plus, always nice to see people giving the 1/6 theme proper room, due to its massive size it ain´t an easy task.

oddly enough, as much as i love customizing and "playing"/modifying my figures, building backgrounds almost felt like a chore, so all the more credit to this marvelous piece

cheers

ReverendSpooky

I love where the whole photography conversation has gone, and it's given me a ton of food for thought.  ThePhotogsBlog, hearing that I've gotten as much right, and especially hearing it from you on this, is pretty mind blowing to me in general.  And your comments on lighting, along with Blackpool's recent lighting suggestions and tutorial have got me mulling over A LOT for my next shoot.  

Peaches is really right on what a colossal beast of a skill photography is, and truth be told, I have no background, training or real experience (outside of a lifetime love of it).  I think of myself as a customizer 1st and foremost, and have always thought that anything 3D is ideally experienced in person.  Any skill that I've picked up is been out of the necessity of wanting to try to share that work, and to do it in a way that is aesthetically interesting in it's own right, and to convey a bit of the story and sense of the characters I'm trying to get across.  So knowing next to nothing, everything is constructed with nothing more in mind than for it to look realistic, and the built in lighting made to look good in person.  It never even crossed my mind building it how it would effect photographing it.  I just assumed, like most things in my life, that I'd figure it out somehow.  But that's where it gets really tricky.  Because I want to take "good" photos, but I also want to present the actual work of the diorama.  Do I take a dramatic shot with a shallow depth of focus, or do I want the background that I spent hours on clearly in focus?  Do I light things to just highlight a figure, or do I want everything clearly visible so you can see everything there? So I think the natural look (Peaches and Skywalkersaga, I'm so glad that look resonated with you both) is what I wind up with by trying to satisfy as much of that as possible.

But the more I end up shooting, the more I really do want to up my photography game and improve. It's become a big part of the process, and I do think there is a lot you've mentioned that I can still make work, even in an enclosed dio. ThePhotogsBlog, I think the Peter Gowland story really illustrates that a little imagination and ingenuity goes a long way towards making it work.  

skywalkersaga wrote:Aww, yeah, it's true that some basic photography skills are helpful in this hobby, especially since the main way many people tend to share their customs and/or collections is via online platforms.  I very rarely share these things with people in RL, other than my husband -- not out of embarrassment but simply because there isn't always much interest. And even when people are interested, they may not quite understand the level of work that went into a figure, photoshoot, or display. One of many reasons why it's so nice to have a community like this who 'gets' it. Smile

I think this is EXACTLY where I'm coming from, on the reason I went down the phography road how amazing it is having this community.  Skywalkersaga, I couldn't agree more.  

And Peaches, I shoot on a Canon Rebel and love mine.  Totally recommended.

Tjolnir wrote:holy smokes, that looks awesome.

can hardly image the time and sweat you put into, but it really paid off.
this is a piece of art and fits the theme perfectly.

plus, always nice to see people giving the 1/6 theme proper room, due to its massive size it ain´t an easy task.

oddly enough, as much as i love customizing and "playing"/modifying my figures, building backgrounds almost felt like a chore, so all the more credit to this marvelous piece

cheers

Thank you Tjolnir!!!  Considering the epicness of your Fallout dios, that means a lot.  And I completely agree on the tedium of backgrounds.  Truth told, I HATE carving bricks.   I hate it so much.  There are so goddamn many bricks in this diorama, and it's the MAIN reason it took so long for me to sit down and do.  But I LOVE old brick building so much, so it just had to be done.  There's a lot I wholeheartedly love working on, but I think sometimes there are parts of this hobby that are really is about wanting the results more than you hate doing the work. I know you get it.  Laughing

http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
There are a lot of us with limited lighting experience for our photographs, but I honestly like your style. There is a certain aesthetic that makes all of your photos uniquely yours, and that’s what’s cool about them. I understand the desire to learn new techniques and figure out a balance, but I also agree that it’s nice to see all the details that you put in to your work. I have a feeling if you had figured out a way to light your garage in a more ‘realistic” manner, that many of us would still be asking to see it all lit up anyway to admire all those details.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:I love where the whole photography conversation has gone, and it's given me a ton of food for thought.  ThePhotogsBlog, hearing that I've gotten as much right, and especially hearing it from you on this, is pretty mind blowing to me in general.  And your comments on lighting, along with Blackpool's recent lighting suggestions and tutorial have got me mulling over A LOT for my next shoot.  

Peaches is really right on what a colossal beast of a skill photography is, and truth be told, I have no background, training or real experience (outside of a lifetime love of it).  I think of myself as a customizer 1st and foremost, and have always thought that anything 3D is ideally experienced in person.  Any skill that I've picked up is been out of the necessity of wanting to try to share that work, and to do it in a way that is aesthetically interesting in it's own right, and to convey a bit of the story and sense of the characters I'm trying to get across.  So knowing next to nothing, everything is constructed with nothing more in mind than for it to look realistic, and the built in lighting made to look good in person.  It never even crossed my mind building it how it would effect photographing it.  I just assumed, like most things in my life, that I'd figure it out somehow.  But that's where it gets really tricky.  Because I want to take "good" photos, but I also want to present the actual work of the diorama.  Do I take a dramatic shot with a shallow depth of focus, or do I want the background that I spent hours on clearly in focus?  Do I light things to just highlight a figure, or do I want everything clearly visible so you can see everything there? So I think the natural look (Peaches and Skywalkersaga, I'm so glad that look resonated with you both) is what I wind up with by trying to satisfy as much of that as possible.

But the more I end up shooting, the more I really do want to up my photography game and improve. It's become a big part of the process, and I do think there is a lot you've mentioned that I can still make work, even in an enclosed dio. ThePhotogsBlog, I think the Peter Gowland story really illustrates that a little imagination and ingenuity goes a long way towards making it work.  

The late Peter Gowland, who was already very successful in the early 50's when my own father was still learning photography is my favorite photographer. I had the pleasure to exchange emails with him in 2006, when I was in my first semester of photography training. Gowland died in 2010, but his website can still be found online at www.petergowland.com and you might find it inspirational in a number of ways. First, there is the fact that he was well known for making his own equipment; The Gowlandflex for instance was designed to rectify a problem with current 4 x 5 cameras in that you could't keep track of a moving or jumping suspect the way you could with a Twin Lens Reflex like the Rolleiflex. Hence Gowland invented a TLR made for large format film.

But what you'll find more inspirational perhaps is that he had no formal training in photography, though he did learn a lot about lighting while working on Hollywood film sets. When i asked him what advice he might have to give to some first year photo students, one of the things he told me was to learn all the technical stuff so well that you don't even have to think about it and this something that makes a lot of sense. Photography is an art, but it has always been a very technical one and is much more so today than it was when Gowland was active. It's true that it's a lot easier learning to use photo and lighting gear not to mention Photoshop from people who already know, hence why I put myself through a tough and challenging night program in commercial photography while working a day job. But there is no rule that says you can't learn what you need to know to improve your lighting technique on your own. Professional gear like Lume Cubes are one approach, but as I like to say, pro photo gear has only three prices; expensive, exorbitant and un-afforfable. If you know what you are doing, no-one will be able to tell the difference between photos shot with a $300.00 Lume Cube kit and a pair of $15.00 Ikea lamps and some home made accessories. If you don't know what you are doing, the results will exactly the same, but your wallet will be a lot lighter.

Keep doing what you do and let inspiration take you where it will. We all love your work.

Peaches

Peaches
All in all, ya gotta admit, this one is a ton of fun! Please share more pics when you get the time! Very Happy

Checking out that site now, @ThePhotogsBlog, thanks for that inspiration!

Very nice seanic pictures, funny Christmas cards and children. Looks effortless, but those action shots are sharp! Wish I were perceptive enough to get all the nuances in those pictures!

scalawag

scalawag
That is an awesome display diorama Reverandspooky.  I love all the little details in there, and it really aids in the story telling.

I also thought I would toss into the ring some of the old shots of my DAK stuff that I used backgrounds with to add to the background discussion.  

These are posters I bought off of the net.  I just searched desert posters and these were some of the ones that came up.  
The bases are wargaming desert mats.  

This setup gives too straight a line between the backdrop and the ground surface really though and the colours here could be matched better to improve the illusion.  

I am not a photographer so there is no special lighting here, just my normal house lighting and these are all snapped on my iPhone 8.

These backdrops sit behind these displays all the time, and I have included a couple of wider shots at the end to show the relative size of the posters etc...

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 KJaXIpv
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 VN1JOMo
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 WtdL6B8
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 CYO7R3q
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 K4Z7L3s
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 FsARd67
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 WOgJibQ
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 PcHzAPQ
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 RcnqqKs
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 QXkhSUm
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 2CgpXv2
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 SV7Vxsy
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 TPGze7N

Paul

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, just wow!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's such a lovely way to display your figures, scalawag! I really enjoy set-ups like yours where the figures are in an actual 'scene' and have enough space to spread out a bit and be interacting with props and each other. While of course the poster/picture backdrop has its limitations when compared to a physical diorama, it does photograph nicely enough, especially considering the fact that it's 'just' the regular lighting in your house. Thank you for sharing. : )

There are so many creative ways to give a sense of a background in dioramas like this, and I'm looking forward to whatever 'optical illusion' ReverendSpooky comes up with. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
scalawag wrote:That is an awesome display diorama Reverandspooky.  I love all the little details in there, and it really aids in the story telling.

I also thought I would toss into the ring some of the old shots of my DAK stuff that I used backgrounds with to add to the background discussion.  

These are posters I bought off of the net.  I just searched desert posters and these were some of the ones that came up.  
The bases are wargaming desert mats.  

This setup gives too straight a line between the backdrop and the ground surface really though and the colours here could be matched better to improve the illusion.  

I am not a photographer so there is no special lighting here, just my normal house lighting and these are all snapped on my iPhone 8.

These backdrops sit behind these displays all the time, and I have included a couple of wider shots at the end to show the relative size of the posters etc...

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 KJaXIpv
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 VN1JOMo
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 WtdL6B8
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 CYO7R3q
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 K4Z7L3s

It looks to me like Sergeant Troy and the Rat Patrol should be showing up at any moment to spoil the DAK's day. Where's Hauptmann Dietrich, incidentally? Very Happy
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 FsARd67
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 WOgJibQ
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 PcHzAPQ
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 RcnqqKs
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 QXkhSUm
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 2CgpXv2
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 SV7Vxsy
Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 TPGze7N

Paul

scalawag

scalawag
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

It looks to me like Sergeant Troy and the Rat Patrol should be showing up at any moment to spoil the DAK's day.  Where's Hauptmann Dietrich, incidentally?   Very Happy

I have heard of Rat Patrol, but I've never seen it. I am not sure if it ever aired here in the UK. I'm pleased you think these look like viable opponents for Sergeant Troy and the boys though Wink

Paul

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
scalawag wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

It looks to me like Sergeant Troy and the Rat Patrol should be showing up at any moment to spoil the DAK's day.  Where's Hauptmann Dietrich, incidentally?   Very Happy

I have heard of Rat Patrol, but I've never seen it.  I am not sure if it ever aired here in the UK.  I'm pleased you think these look like viable opponents for Sergeant Troy and the boys though Wink

Paul

Rat Patrol was a 1960's TV series in which 4 men, (3 Americans and a Briton) run around in Jeeps in the Western Desert and embarrass Afrika Korps troops, usually lead by by a Captain Dietrich (Hans Gudegast, aka Eric Braeden). Very popular in the US, it was not very popular in the UK because the premise was ripped off from the British SAS and LRDG's who did this for real in WWII, It was also not very popular in Australia, because the main star, Christopher George, playing American Sgt Troy insisted on wearing an Aussie style bush hat because of the role Australian troops had played in the defense of Crete during the war. (George was Greek-American)

All the episodes can be found on YouTube, incidentally. I loved the show when I was a kid in 1968, but when I look at the episodes on YouTube today, I find them incredibly hokey and silly. Still, the series affected my thinking in some ways as the post apocalyptic figures I am building now are are in part inspired by the iconography of the series, as well as a couple of other sources.

The lone Briton in the series, Sgt Moffit was played by Gary Raymond. Typical of American productions, it was wildly inaccurate in depictions of the British Army. Moffit is introduced as a member of the Scots Greys, yet he wears the black beret and collar badge of the Royal Tank Regiment (as his beret badge) and so I suppose another reason the series was not popular in the UK.

scalawag

scalawag
Thanks for the info ThePhotogsBlog, I will have to look it up.

Paul

Peaches

Peaches
Just read @Ephiane 's post above (missed or memory loss again, LOL) regarding using digital screen for backgrounds. That's brilliant, I take it LCD screens won't have syncing issues or something??? Making stripes , etc?? This is brilliant and I'll be trying it out ASAP

blackpool

blackpool
Peaches wrote:Just read @Ephiane 's post above (missed or memory loss again, LOL)  regarding using digital screen for backgrounds.  That's brilliant, I take it LCD screens won't have syncing issues or something??? Making stripes , etc??  This is brilliant and I'll be trying it out ASAP

It is indeed a very useful trick, it works even better on smaller figures but it's fine for our 1/6th scale as well... It can be a bit complicated to add light sources without getting any reflections on the screen but the result can be awesome since the screen brings a colored light on the figure that helps a lot merging it with the background.

I don't want to hack the thread so I'll just share one example here, but a lot of my shots are done like that (here DD is in front of a paused sunset from the spiderman movie lmao)

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 Daredevil_02

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I love that, Blackpool! Seemingly simple, but extremely effective.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very cool technique, BP. I like how appropriately out of focus the background is, as well.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Kit and Garage Workshop -  From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 3 C8485110

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, that looks awesome! I can see using this technique also as Ephiane said, like beyond an open door in a spaceship diorama Very Happy. But the simple beauty you got with the light hitting his face is perfect !

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you Scalawag! And your display set up is awesome as well. I'm always impressed when printed backgrounds look that good in photos, and yours have a particular vibrancy.

And Blackpool, I so love that Daredevil shot! Your lighting is always so evocative, and never fails to awe me.

Allotropos

Allotropos
i wish I was living there in the garage with them !
The Radio Kings rule !
This little world you've built up is nothing short of interesting and to be able to coompliment that with amazing custom figures, what could be better ?!
bounce bounce bounce
We want more !!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Allotropos wrote:i wish I was living there in the garage with them !
The Radio Kings rule !
This little world you've built up is nothing short of interesting and to be able to coompliment that with amazing custom figures, what could be better ?!
bounce bounce bounce
We want more !!

Thank you!!!!

And I think you're totally on to something. Both the garage and the loft are kinda my ideal living spaces (before or after the apocalypse). And so glad you dig it! I'm pretty ridiculously proud having finished this.

And ask and you shall receive. I have so much fun new stuff I'm dying to share. I just need to stop making and start shooting sometime soon...

BAMComix

BAMComix
Thanks for the link to here GregT! That was an impressive thread! The skill involved here to create something that stunning is something else!
As the others have said, the attention to detail if the garage is amazing, all those tools! hey, great bike too! I also love Kit! she is a great character! and a little bit naughty too by the looks of some of the pics!
Her friends? look amazing too. I am guessing that these guys inhabit a Max Max/ fallout type world, where everything has gone to hell? It's a great concept, but something I could never pursue as I don't have the skill involved to create such believable sets as you can clearly do so well. I am gonna check out the other two links above now.
Top work my friend! bounce bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum