OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OSF Member Introductions . . .

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24 ... 37  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 37]

221OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 am

Peaches

Looking around the forum threads and I see ya got tons of talent here! Amazing stuff, and I've only scratched the surface!

222OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm

BAD WOLF-787

Indeed Welcome aboard Peaches!

223OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Hi Peaches and welcome on ! You're in good company here.

224OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

ravrohan

Hello Smile I'm not only new here but to the hobby as well. For years I've done customs of other kinds of models, mostly mecha and starships. Recently I tried looking for figures of people to represent characters in the stories I write and found Tbleague/Phicen and how customizable they can be

I'm looking at the suntan o9c I think it is as my first body since its one of the curves bodies out there, and I have trouble seeing a lot of difference between them so I go by what I read.

Anyway before I ramble on to long glad to be here and take care! I can promise many questions to the hobby vets!

225OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ravrohan wrote:Hello Smile I'm not only new here but to the hobby as well.  For years I've done customs of other kinds of models, mostly mecha and starships.  Recently I tried looking for figures of people to represent characters in the stories I write and found Tbleague/Phicen and how customizable they can be

I'm looking at the suntan o9c I think it is as my first body since its one of the curves bodies out there, and I have trouble seeing a lot of difference between them so I go by what I read.

Anyway before I ramble on to long glad to be here and take care!  I can promise many questions to the hobby vets!

Greetings and welcome aboard. Feel free to ask away, and check out some of the sticky threads if you haven't done so. Sometimes you can find the answers to your questions if you do a search here. Good luck on the TBLeague/Phicen front; they are a blast to work with, but they can also be very frustrating.

1. They stain easily: be sure to soak any darker clothing you get for them in a water/distilled vinegar bath (24 hrs); then a soapy water soak (another 24 hrs) -- then rinse thoroughly and smooth them out on paper towels -- if there is still color leaching onto the paper towel, repeat the process until there is no longer any leaching.

2. Get some corn starch or baby powder -- these things are food grad silicone and have a layer of one or the other on them. If you have to wash the body for any reason, you need to reapply a thin layer of powder to them as they are very sticky without it. And they attract lint like you wouldn't believe -- so have something on hand to remove the lint without removing too much of the powder (if you can), but you still might have to reapply some.

3. Vaseline or cellophane wrap to get clothes on them is very helpful -- particularly arms and legs need to be wrapped.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 C8485110

226OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787

Hello ravrohan and Welcome aboard!

227OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 am

ravrohan

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! Very Happy I'm copying it into a doc file for reference later Smile

228OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Peaches

Peaches
Thanks everyone Smile And hello @ravrohan Very Happy

229OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hey everyone, it’s great to ‘meet’ you all here! Smile

[Original post redacted for personal privacy reasons]

Thanks everyone who has so far been extremely patient and helpful to me as a relative newbie here. You’ve made it a very pleasant experience so far, and I am grateful.  cheers

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

230OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 am

jaztermareal

jaztermareal
Welcome! nice to see another UK member here Smile do not be shy, I have never had particularly good backgrounds or even bothered to take decent photos, it is the 1:6 goodness that counts!

(P.S. I am not a fan of the Star Wars sequels, especially TLJ, but I did enjoy Rogue One and Solo)

231OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Skywalkersaga, first let me say Thanks for sharing your story. I don’t think you are as alone as you might think that this type of hobby is therapeutic, or a chance to relive elements of one’s childhood. I’m a man in his 50s who’s seen his fair share of gruesome reality, and now diminishing health, but throughout it all collecting (whether figures of all sizes, comics, books, movies, whatever) has always been a big part of my life, and one of the few things that has helped to maintain not only my sanity, but my happiness.
There are many levels of customizers/kitbashers here, and on other forums, and I’m glad you found yourself willing to join in and participate with us. I hope that someday you will share your work, and not be too concerned whether it lives up to any pre-conceived standards. We’re a pretty open bunch. I’ve watched other boards become very narrow in focus and standards, but I like to think we’re a more receptive group toward varying styles, levels of skill, interests, etc. Not everyone is a master at detailing, weathering, backgrounds, dioramas, or Photoshop (Hey, I pretty much just described myself), and some people have been at this a VERY long time. If you get a chance, check out some work from Peter the Painter, Lynkhart and DonDeG (all members here), just to name a few — they are some of the more experienced customizers, and each of them has very different styles and techniques. Some of our more frequent posters you are already familiar with.
I got back into 1/6 myself — after a ten year hiatus— for many of the same reasons as yourself. And mainly because it’s ten times easier to work at this scale for someone with advancing arthritis and dwindling eye-sight (if things get any worse — I’m going to have to go back to mannequins); that, and as you mentioned, the prolific amount of available accessories. It’s a whole new ball game in 1/6 than it was 20 years ago — or 50 — and with all the great artisans available for hire, the sky’s the limit.
Enjoy yourself here, ask any questions you want, and know that it’s not unusual to be intimidated by those with a higher skill level (we all had to start somewhere); we’re all here to help each other have fun, advance the hobby, and give tips and advice where needed (or asked for).

232OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
jaztermareal wrote:Welcome! nice to see another UK member here Smile do not be shy, I have never had particularly good backgrounds or even bothered to take decent photos, it is the 1:6 goodness that counts!

(P.S. I am not a fan of the Star Wars sequels, especially TLJ, but I did enjoy Rogue One and Solo)

Thank you -- it is indeed good to meet someone from the UK here. I get the impression the UK 1/6 world is quite small.... and from even just my limited experience, I also have found it can be difficult to find almost ANYTHING that one needs (loose materials/accessories wise) that is actually located in the UK. The amount of items one has to import can be.... depressing, lol.

And re SW, it's always nice to know one is not alone on that score. I stopped watching the 'sequels' after TFA, and swore off knowing anything about the rest of them if possible, so less said about the particulars, the better. Wink BUT, I totally agree about Rogue One, it was just an all around good movie, and what is more, I felt it was respectful to the spirit and the overarching themes of the (original) main saga. When it comes to the Solo film, I cannot comment as I haven't seen it... after TFA's complete destruction unforgivable treatment of Han's characterization, I simply am unable to trust Disney with that character (or any saga character) ever again. But I've heard from others that it was enjoyable, and for their sakes I'm glad it was, even if I have no plans to ever watch it myself. : )

Stryker2011 wrote:Skywalkersaga, first let me say Thanks for sharing your story. I don’t think you are as alone as you might think that this type of hobby is therapeutic, or a chance to relive elements of one’s childhood. I’m a man in his 50s who’s seen his fair share of gruesome reality, and now diminishing health, but throughout it all collecting (whether figures of all sizes, comics, books, movies, whatever) has always been a big part of my life, and one of the few things that has helped to maintain not only my sanity, but my happiness.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Stryker! (and for reading through my novel-length ramble, lol!)

It's always good to know that there are others out there who understand.... I often start feeling like I'm just being silly or something, but I do feel that being able to have some means of 'escape' into one's own uniquely assembled 'happy place' now and then is invaluable. And to likewise be able to share it, at least occasionally, with others is even better. :')

Stryker2011 wrote:There are many levels of customizers/kitbashers here, and on other forums, and I’m glad you found yourself willing to join in and participate with us. I hope that someday you will share your work, and not be too concerned whether it lives up to any pre-conceived standards. We’re a pretty open bunch. I’ve watched other boards become very narrow in focus and standards, but I like to think we’re a more receptive group toward varying styles, levels of skill, interests, etc.

Very true that there are different levels -- and different areas of focus -- with this hobby. And like with any art or craft, it's never a good idea to start comparing oneself to others (especially when you're just starting out!), as you just start to feel down on yourself. Far better to compare yourself to yourself...and just constantly strive to improve to one's *own* standards (easier said than done, though Razz).

And however narrowly-focused other sites might be or have become, thus far I've found this board to be very warm and welcoming. Nothing against other sites, but it wasn't until I found this place that I felt comfortable enough to de-lurk, lol.

Stryker2011 wrote:Not everyone is a master at detailing, weathering, backgrounds, dioramas, or Photoshop (Hey, I pretty much just described myself), and some people have been at this a VERY long time. If you get a chance, check out some work from Peter the Painter, Lynkhart and DonDeG (all members here), just to name a few — they are some of the more experienced customizers, and each of them has very different styles and techniques. Some of our more frequent posters you are already familiar with.
I got back into 1/6 myself — after a ten year hiatus— for many of the same reasons as yourself. And mainly because it’s ten times easier to work at this scale for someone with advancing arthritis and dwindling eye-sight (if things get any worse — I’m going to have to go back to mannequins); that, and as you mentioned, the prolific amount of available accessories. It’s a whole new ball game in 1/6 than it was 20 years ago — or 50 — and with all the great artisans available for hire, the sky’s the limit.

Wow, that's great that you've been into it for so long (even with the breaks). But I'm very sorry to hear of your health struggles... and sincerely hope that it won't affect your 1/6 enjoyment too much. <3

It's so true that there have been immense improvements over the years... even as just a bystander, I have only recently realized just how far this area has advanced. Before the past year or so, my impression of 1/6 figures was mainly of somewhat sub-par stuff like some of the older Sideshow-style figures (or worse). I had been completely out of the loop and (embarrassingly) had no idea even what Hot Toys even was until I saw the Anakin figure... let alone the fact that there was the option to customize such things! Razz

As I started to look into it more, I became even more impressed by the idea of unique customized figures (whether via commissions from skilled artists or modified by oneself). I already loved to drool over one-of-a-kind collectible dolls (ooak doll repaints, etc), so it was pretty incredible to realize that the 1/6 action figure world was into that too. I'd had this impression for a while that most collectors preferred their figures to be as 'mint' as possible, which is a mentality that I, as a conservation-minded person, can completely empathize with in some ways, but which I have also found can easily become quite limiting as well.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the works of those members, I will definitely check them out. ^.^

Stryker2011 wrote:Enjoy yourself here, ask any questions you want, and know that it’s not unusual to be intimidated by those with a higher skill level (we all had to start somewhere); we’re all here to help each other have fun, advance the hobby, and give tips and advice where needed (or asked for).

Thank you again for the kind encouragement. : )

233OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 pm

doodlehobby

Hey all, seems I missed this thread. Another OSW member, not an old member though and mainly collect Phicens/TBL, some Hot Toys and other 1/6 figures that I find interesting or peaking my interest. I do some small kit bashes and don't really customize much. I do collect other things as well and rotate between interests and seem to be back into the 1/6 collecting cycle. LOL

234OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I know I said it before, but I’ll say it again. Welcome aboard, doodlehobby. Glad you could make it. There’s quite a few of the Old Site members here, as you have probably seen. Please feel free to share your collection, and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

235OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:00 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Hello to everyone I have not yet greeted!
I'm Pontiacivan, known to my Pugs as "The Daddy".
I'm a huge Sci Fi fan and I love Robots and Post Apocalyptic themes, but I enjoy so much more too, like Fantasy,Horror and even reality based stories.
I'm n and out at times, battling health issues ( I'm too young to be chronically I'll) and I have WAY too May W.I.P.s, mostly because I feel like I should be well enough to work on all of them.
I mostly work on small Sci Fi based props at the moment, because I get frustrated when I have to leave a project for too long. I'm getting better though and I hope to assemble all my goodies into a decent diorama and photoshop to need day.

236OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lovely to meet both of you ! Smile

237OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:36 pm

ravrohan

Welcome to the boards Pont Smile

238OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
ravrohan wrote:Welcome to the boards Pont Smile
Thanks Ravrohan! I'm actually Honored to be a Founding
Father here, I'm just behind in greeting new members, and wanted to give a mini update.
I think it's nice to welcome people when they join....in fact, greeting them just like you did is perfect!
Thanks for wanting people to feel welcome!

239OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 am

Parabellum

Hi everyone! My name is John aka Parabellum. I started collecting 1/6 scale not long ago (2015). For the most part I am a comic and action figures collector. I was happy to discover that you guys like to take the figure out of the box, lol. My first purchase was Hot Toys John Matrix from Commando, I have been hooked ever since. There are extremely talented and creative people on here! Thank you having me and I look forward to learning from all of you.

John

Here are the figures I already own.
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 42b77e10
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 5e932810
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 20085010

240OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:05 am

Parabellum

Here’s the rest. I didn’t like the guns The Punisher came with so I bought ones that I think where more suitable.
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 D341ad10
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 50350510
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 8604a510

241OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Welcome, John. And you have a very nice collection coming together already. For what it is worth, I too was hooked by an HT Terminator figure.

242OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 12 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A very warm welcome to you, Parabellum! Smile  I love your Punisher figure, along with the upgrades! And your Kyle Reese and Arnie's are great -- if I show them to my husband, he will be so envious. Wink

I completely feel you on the taking the figures out of the box thing -- I've been collecting smaller action figures for a while, and I've always preferred loose figures or unboxing my figures. With some rare exceptions, I could never fully embrace the whole keeping figures permanently 'on cards' or whatever. At least with 1/6, you can always put them back in the box to store them if you need to keep them safe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 37]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24 ... 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum