OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fett or Mandalorian?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
It started out innocent enough. I grabbed a Hasbro Boba Fett on eBay for $10 shipped. He was nearly complete, lacking only a jet pack.
I'm a Star Wars fan, ANH changed my life as a child nerd, but i'n not a fanatic.
All of my Star Wars figures are Hasbro or Disney.
Good Jet packs are cheap. I've seen them for sale in many places, so I though I would get a High end one to round him out.
Then I found a super deal on a properly sized head. I didn't care if I had to rig a connector, I just thought " yeah, just those two things will really liven the figure up."
A full set of "grey" ( gray? ) gloved hands turned up, incredibly priced, I'm no stranger to drill and fill for hand replacement. I could add them to the body easily enough.
Although....I had a decent body left over from an Aliexpress Swat figure I parted out, what if I just moved all the Hasbro stuff to that body, along with my upgrades?
Once removed, I really didn't care for the jumpsuit, so I tried him out in a GS9 coverall I scored for $3.  I really liked the look. But now, all the rubbery Hasbro stuff was starting to bug me. I grabbed a pair of much nicer " Animation Version" knee pads, I can always paint them to color match. I also bought a pair of ROJ pouches for $1 each.
I can work with the cod piece, and after checking out several cosplay sights, I can convert the Hasbro chest armor into a respectable item.
I still need better gauntlets, boots and probably shoulder armor. It's how this game goes, but I'm still nowhere near what a "good" Boba Fett would cost. Belts? Maybe I find a deal, maybe I make them? Overall, I'm happy.
Unfortunately, I terrible with the "exact details" . My ROJ pouches don't go with my ESB hands. The GS9 coverall looks like it matches the color the cosplayers use, but none of the movie stills. The color gauntlets I wind up with might steer it even further off course, especially if I wind up with 2 different colors.
So now I'm thinking..." There are a lot of very good Mandalorian cosplayers out there, maybe I should make a Mandalorian? "
I could get away with a lot of improvisation.
So I ask you, my friends, Fett or Mandalorian?
Here are a few shots of the figure as it is right now, minimally geared. Please share opinions, and Thanks!
Fett or Mandalorian? Img_7510
Fett or Mandalorian? Img_7511
Fett or Mandalorian? Img_7512

2Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hmmm, I don’t know what to tell you, honestly. I’m not one who worries so much about the tiniest of minutia; it’s pretty rare for me to examine all the tiniest bits and bobs frame by frame for each and every character. I would say, if it concerns you that the pieces don’t feel Fett enough for you, perhaps it would be better to go Mandalorian.

Questions: Is Mandalorian a species/race, or a military unit? Do they all wear Fett-like gear? Aside from the OT novelizations, and the book Splinter of the Mind’s Eye — I’ve never delved that deeply into all SW universe.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Fett or Mandalorian? C8485110

3Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Fett or Mandalorian? I reckon Mandalorian. Perhaps wait for the TV series at the end of this year and base it on him.

Fett or Mandalorian? Why-the-mandalorian-is-our-most-anticipated-tv-show-of-2019_5nvh

Fett or Mandalorian? The_mandalorian_gunfighter_1280.1538668785

Stryker2011 wrote:Questions: Is Mandalorian a species/race, or a military unit? Do they all wear Fett-like gear? Aside from the OT novelizations, and the book Splinter of the Mind’s Eye — I’ve never delved that deeply into all SW universe.

Mandalorians come from the planet Mandalore. The Wikipedia entry is pretty comprehensive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandalorian

Looking forward to seeing the TV series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mandalorian

4Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:11 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the link, shazz.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Fett or Mandalorian? C8485110

5Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Andrew

Andrew
That mandalorian looks very cool with his chromework. I reckon make him!

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

6Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It's a very promising start, from its innocent beginnings to your current kitbashing dilemma. I am sure you'll end up with something cool and satisfying, whether Boba Fett or generic Mandalorian of a certain type (which I guess won't make him generic after all). The Mandalorian in the images and links provided by shazzdan is different in other ways, so your figure might remain unique. But there's nothing wrong with that. In the grand tradition of Star Wars cheesiness, you might have recreated one of Boba's long-forgotten cousins, e.g., Bango Fett.

7Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Stryker2011 wrote:Hmmm, I don’t know what to tell you, honestly. I’m not one who worries so much about the tiniest of minutia; it’s pretty rare for me to examine all the tiniest bits and bobs frame by frame for each and every character. I would say, if it concerns you that the pieces don’t feel Fett enough for you, perhaps it would be better to go Mandalorian.

Questions: Is Mandalorian a species/race, or a military unit? Do they all wear Fett-like gear? Aside from the OT novelizations, and the book Splinter of the Mind’s Eye — I’ve never delved that deeply into all SW universe.

shazzdan wrote:Fett or Mandalorian? I reckon Mandalorian. Perhaps wait for the TV series at the end of this year and base it on him.

Stryker2011 wrote:Questions: Is Mandalorian a species/race, or a military unit? Do they all wear Fett-like gear? Aside from the OT novelizations, and the book Splinter of the Mind’s Eye — I’ve never delved that deeply into all SW universe.

Mandalorians come from the planet Mandalore. The Wikipedia entry is pretty comprehensive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki]

Thanks every one! I'm also anticipating the new show.
A "quick and dirty" for those who are not aware:
Mandalorians are a race originating on Mandalore. Mandalorian Armor is fairly standard, excluding color and possibly guild or family house markings.
There seems to be 4 iterations of Mandalorian armor, with the version we are most familiar with being the 3rd.( I believe.)
Neither Boba Fett, nor his father Jango, were Mandalorians. Jango Fett wore Madalorian armor, with it's signature helmet, while Boba Fett seems to have worn "most" of a Mandalorian suit. It is considered by "fandom" to be pieced together, not comprising a single suit.
It (oddly) changes color , in some areas, between ESB and ROJ. Most commonly noted are the glove color, gauntlet color, belt color, pouch color and possibly jumpsuit color. The number of pouches and lack of fasteners is also said to be different. While it might be possibly to blame some of this on the difference in lighting between Cloud City and Tatooine, things like the pouch and belt color definitely feed the "piece-meal" lore.
Even the Fett shown in the Mandalorian promo, clearly Boba, is sporting significantly different details.

Several times I mentioned cosplayers as a source for details. I should mention that the group https://mandalorianmercs.org/ , a not for profit that does some cool charity visits, has great references on "Generic " Mandalorian armor. Because it seems to be fairly lenient in terms of color and such, I think I will likely make a Mandalorian.
It should be noted that they have very strict rules about joining as a Boba or Jango Fett, right down to required vendor purchases for certain gear.
Those are tough canonical dudes!

Andrew wrote:That mandalorian looks very cool with his chromework.  I reckon make him!

Andrew: The chromework Mandalorian is Jango Fett, Boba's dad. I too, like his version of the armor. I've always wondered why Boba didn't keep it.....cleaning issues not withstanding.

GubernatorFan wrote:It's a very promising start, from its innocent beginnings to your current kitbashing dilemma. I am sure you'll end up with something cool and satisfying, whether Boba Fett or generic Mandalorian of a certain type (which I guess won't make him generic after all). The Mandalorian in the images and links provided by shazzdan is different in other ways, so your figure might remain unique. But there's nothing wrong with that. In the grand tradition of Star Wars cheesiness, you might have recreated one of Boba's long-forgotten cousins, e.g., Bango Fett.

GF: I was toying with the idea of wrapping one ankle in bandages and calling my character Boo-Boo Foot. Lol.

Edit: apologies. I cannot locate the still shot of Boba Fett I referred to above. While his helmet, etc. were recognizable, his jumpsuit was more of a gauze texture. I imagine this is to imply the continuously evolving attire he wore.

8Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Eph

Great Project, can´t wait to see Your finish Figure. On a Mandalorian Character You can use Your Fantasy. A Fett has to look like Fett

9Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:41 am

scalawag

scalawag
I think I would go generic. That way you can put your own mark on how he looks. The new TV series looks like it will be a good source of new material. It appears that the lead character "the Mandolorean" may have armour that evolves as the series progresses as at least a couple of distinctly different versions have been pictured on set so far.

Paul

10Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:49 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
scalawag wrote:I think I would go generic.  That way you can put your own mark on how he looks.  The new TV series looks like it will be a good source of new material.  It appears that the lead character "the Mandolorean" may have armour that evolves as the series progresses as at least a couple of distinctly different versions have been pictured on set so far.

Paul

I have pretty much decided on this route. While I am anxious to make progress, I may wait for the show to see how the armor is presented on the whole.

I appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

11Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Ovy

Ovy
No Boba Fett Clone (haha), but no super polished Jango or The Mandalorian either. I am all for your own color scheme, heavy weathered like the bot in your profile pic.

12Fett or Mandalorian? Empty Re: Fett or Mandalorian? Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:13 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Ovy wrote:No Boba Fett Clone (haha), but no super polished Jango or The Mandalorian either. I am all for your own color scheme, heavy weathered like the bot in your profile pic.

Thanks Ovy, and everyone else. I'm going to go Mandalorian with just a touch of Galac Tech for fun. ( and to fill in where I don't have certain accessories) . I'm playing with color schemes right now, tan/Sand is probably the easiest, while Black and red seems a bit overused. I'll know what I like when I see it I guess, then I need to put my butt n gear and build him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum