OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update/continuation in Post 18.

With the release of Zuckuss, appropriately as the runt of the litter, Hasbro's 6-inch Black Series Bounty Hunters set is now complete. All six figures have advanced articulation, good proportions, and very good detail.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs10

The most recent release, Zuckuss, is appropriately given the shortest stature among these figures (13 cm = just over 5 inches), and, also appropriately, has the most extensive use of soft goods for his coat. The fabric is of a slightly shiny kind that perhaps helps evoke leather, although if you look closely enough you will notice the texture. At any rate, it looks reasonably accurate and does not hinder the articulation, not that this is the most animated of characters (and I can't say I'm crazy about the seams). The other leather and metal elements are sculpted in soft plastic and painted appropriately. The eyes are painted silverish (with a darker wash) like the metal, but although this is not quite as cool as Sideshow's sixth-scale translucent eyes, it works very well visually. There is some color detail but no weathering on the gun. I can't tell whether there is an ab crunch, but otherwise the articulation is all good, except for the neck, which does not allow the head to look up or down enough for my taste.

Sidenotes: I was looking up something else and came across the following information which I couldn't resist sharing... Zuckuss was originally named Tuckuss (as in tuches, buttocks)!; and his eyes were bubble wrap (and lest we forget it, that was originally intended as wallpaper)!

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs11

4-LOM was one of the first of these figures to appear, and is excellent in pretty much every way, comparing very well with the Sideshow sixth-scale version despite the disparity in size. He stands about 14.5 cm = 5.75 inches. The lean android body is sculpted and painted perfectly, and given a bit of rusty weathering (except for the somewhat too pristine ab section with the exposed wiring). Although the eyes don't have the very cool translucent crushed glass effect we got with the larger Sideshow versions, the metallic paint and wash applied on them produces as excellent look. The elbow and neck joints work remarkably well and the articulation is just as it should be -- even including the annoyingly restricted degree of movement at the hips which seems to be part of the design (shared by C-3PO); like other robots, the knee is single-jointed but works well. There is an ab crunch, but little lateral movement in that area. The weapon is painted in a metallic color that helps approximate a realistic, almost weathered look.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs12

Bossk stands tall and proud, at 16 cm = almost 6.5 inches. As with the first Sideshow sixth-scale release of this character, the head sculpt is arguably more refined and "attractive" than the actual mask seen in the film (Sideshow later produced a second, more movie-accurate version). The figure features a movable jaw, which is very cool in concept, though not quite excellent in the way it actually works. The complex wiring and tubing on the space suit is well executed, as is the paint job, although in both cases finer detail might have been an improvement. The articulation is good, but not perfect: there is no ab crunch (though there is lateral movement in the area) and the creature design makes it difficult to bend the elbows beyond 45 degrees. The weapon has a simple paint application that does not contribute to its realism, but its soft plastic strap can be adjusted and works reasonably well.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs13

Boba Fett, everyone's favorite overhyped badass, stands about 15.5 cm = just over 6 inches, not counting the raised rangefinder or the tip of the rocket pack. The figure has a pretty realistic paint job, including a number of scratches and dents reproduced in reasonable, though not infinitely fine detail. The articulation is excellent in theory, but in practice restricted by the hard plastic belt and pouches, which get in the way of ideal ab and upper thigh movement. The rangefinder is not articulated. The figure comes with a pistol and a gun; the former has a two-color paint job and fits snugly in the holster, while the latter is painted in three different colors and features some weathering towards the front portion. The rocket pack can be removed from the figure's back. The soft goods "cape" hanging from the left shoulder is a disappointment: although I don't mind soft goods at all, in this instance it is just far too stiff and plain to look right, and the choice of fabric and its treatment were not very successful.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs14

IG-88 is appropriately the tallest figure, standing at 17 cm = over 6.5 inches. The figure is given an appropriate metallic grey paint, with some areas perhaps overly picked out in an oily yellowish wash. I noticed some extra paint bleed from the small silverish boxes and other elements onto the dark leather bandolier across the chest. The level of sculpting detail is reasonably fine on both the figure and the bandolier (including two mines or granades attached on the back side). Except for the limitations already inherent in the robotic design, the articulation is very good. The height of the figure makes it a little hard to balance. Faithful to the appearance of the character in the film, the elbows are covered by a soft-plastic harmonica-like component, which does not impede the articulation of this area much. IG-88 comes with three weapons: a long rifle, a "standard" imperial blaster rifle, and an axe. The long rifle and the axe can be attached to the back of the bandolier.

Sidenotes: apparently on the movie set IG-88 was bolted down to the floor to make sure he doesn't topple over.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs18

Dengar stands just over 15 cm = 6 inches. He is the only Bounty Hunter with a visible human face, which is reproduced in decent detail, with wrinkles and scars. The paint job is quite good (given that it is not a very exciting color scheme), although the silverish weathering detail could have been more fine. The articulation is perfect, for once uninhibited by the costume and armor. However, the heavy removable backpack makes it difficult to stand the figure easily. Like his confrere Boba Fett, Dengar sports two weapons: a small pistol that fits in the holster and a long blaster rifle. This last piece is the same as 4-LOM's but given a duller paint job. It happens to be movie-inaccurate, but the choice was inspired presumably by set photos of the Dengar actor in character fooling around with 4-LOM's rifle.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs15

As mentioned above, Boba Fett's rocket pack and Dengar's backpack are removable, which should give you more possibilities if you want to depart from the canon look. In both cases (but especially Dengar's), removing these accessories makes it easier to have the figures stand on their own.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs16

Overall, I am quite happy with Hasbro's 6 inch Bounty Hunters and am glad I picked all of them up over the last several months. Now the gang's all here.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs17

I hope this has been useful and/or informative. What do you think?

#starwars #empirestrikesback #hasbro #blackseries #6inch #twelfthscale #bountyhunters #bobafett #ig88 #dengar #zuckuss #bossk #4lom

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
These guys all look great, and far more animated then we ever got to see in ESB. So cool. Thanks for a thorough review.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:These guys all look great, and far more animated then we ever got to see in ESB. So cool. Thanks for a thorough review.

I'm glad you like them too, and you are very welcome. ESB is my favorite Star Wars film, and although these characters (with the partial exception of Boba Fett) make but a fleeting appearance, I have a soft spot for them. And it was fun checking up on them in the reference books -- even if I turned up the delightful bits about Zuckuss' original name and eyes material after my original post (if you're curious, check the updated version above).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Buttocks! Haha!

scalawag

scalawag
These are a great set to collect.  

I have all the original releases of these except for Zuckus who I still have on pre order as it appears to not have landed in the UK as yet, and of course Bobba Fett who turned out to be a bootleg (more details on this for those that are interested here:    https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1342-black-series-archive-6-boba-fett-vs-counterfeit-boba-fett ) so I now have an Archive Line version until I can find a genuine original release one.

For those unaware, Hasbro have just started a Black Series 6" Archive Line which is reissuing figures with a different packaging style and in some cases some updates to the figures themselves.  Bobba Fett, Bossk and IG-88 were all in the first wave of this new Archive Series along with Luke Skywalker Xwing Pilot.  
The second wave is soon to be released and has Yoda, Scout Trooper, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Maul.  The human figures in this series all seem to have the faces updated with the new face painting process that Hasbro has introduced.

But back on track with the ESB Bounty Hunters, it's nice to see these all together.

Is that the new IG-88 from the archive line?  I have the original one which has much more subtle gold paint application, and the smaller e-11 blaster so that either of the blasters fit in the bandolier pouch on the back.  

Watch out also for the soft gasket pieces at the elbows of IG-88 as they perish very quickly and are not very durable at all.  I have not posed mine much at all, as you know I tend to unbox, check articulation, and pose once before displaying. But the elbow covers on mine have cracked and perished to the point that they are almost dropping off now, literally just from being displayed, and I am loathed to move the elbows at all now in case the soft parts do just drop off when moved (pic of this added at the end of this post).  I am considering getting an archive IG-88 due to the elbow damage that is evident on mine now, but the gold paint application is putting me off somewhat at present. It just makes the character not look dark or forbidding enough with that amount of gold on it to my mind.

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) ZQ8dneE

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! That’s rough, Paul. It’s amazing to me that stuff made when I was a kid in the 60s-70s could take a serious beating (sometimes literally), and aside from looking dirty from a typical kids germ-ridden hands, still held up; but stuff made today — which costs a lot more — is made so poorly, using inferior materials... It’s just — sad.

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! That’s rough, Paul. It’s amazing to me that stuff made when I was a kid in the 60s-70s could take a serious beating (sometimes literally), and aside from looking dirty from a typical kids germ-ridden hands, still held up; but stuff made today — which costs a lot more — is made so poorly, using inferior materials... It’s just — sad.

Yeah I would think the elbows on this have been moved maybe 6 or 7 times since it was unpacked thats all. Other than that its just been displayed on the self and this deterioration has just occurred over time. If it had been played with I think it might have lasted maybe 15 mins lol.

They certainly don't make them like they used to as you said. When I think of what my original Star Wars figures went through when I was 8 or 9 years old then something like this if subjected to the same would be trashed in a few minutes lol.

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:These are a great set to collect. ... But back on track with the ESB Bounty Hunters, it's nice to see these all together. Is that the new IG-88 from the archive line?  I have the original one which has much more subtle gold paint application, and the smaller e-11 blaster so that either of the blasters fit in the bandolier pouch on the back.  

Watch out also for the soft gasket pieces at the elbows of IG-88 as they perish very quickly and are not very durable at all.  I have not posed mine much at all, as you know I tend to unbox, check articulation, and pose once before displaying.  But the elbow covers on mine have cracked and perished to the point that they are almost dropping off now, literally just from being displayed, and I am loathed to move the elbows at all now in case the soft parts do just drop off when moved (pic of this added at the end of this post).  I am considering getting an archive IG-88 due to the elbow damage that is evident on mine now, but the gold paint application is putting me off somewhat at present. It just makes the character not look dark or forbidding enough with that amount of gold on it to my mind.

Indeed. And IG-88 is from the Archive Collection line, as were Boba Fett and Bossk. I do think both blasters can fit in the bandolier pouch, but yes, they could have used less of that yellowish tint. Thanks for the warning about the elbow gaskets, although it makes sense, as they are made of very soft material. I was conscious of that as I was posing it for the photos, and generally speaking I don't use that articulation much on this figure. So far no problem, and I will take it easy on his elbows in future.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:It’s amazing to me that stuff made when I was a kid in the 60s-70s could take a serious beating (sometimes literally), and aside from looking dirty from a typical kids germ-ridden hands, still held up; but stuff made today — which costs a lot more — is made so poorly, using inferior materials... It’s just — sad.

In defense of modern toys, these are more complex pieces, with additional articulation, and a variety of materials of different stiffness or softness necessary. The original Kenner 3.75 inch line had at best 5 points of articulation, and elbows were not one of them. Also, I suspect that Hasbro is aware that their target audience is not just children, although they are not just collector-oriented for sure.

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
Indeed. And IG-88 is from the Archive Collection line, as were Boba Fett and Bossk. I do think both blasters can fit in the bandolier pouch, but yes, they could have used less of that yellowish tint. Thanks for the warning about the elbow gaskets, although it makes sense, as they are made of very soft material. I was conscious of that as I was posing it for the photos, and generally speaking I don't use that articulation much on this figure. So far no problem, and I will take it easy on his elbows in future.

Yeah they are more than just fragile really. I have not used the elbow articulation at all really since I have had this one. This is how mine is after basically sitting on a shelf for 6-8 months with no movement. No extremes of heat or direct sunlight either. The gaskets have just disintegrated.

Thanks for confirming yours is the archive line version mate. Its a shame, that gold paint really puts me off buying a replacement unless I can find another original one now.

Paul

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Most excellent, man!
The hunters are some really solid figures.

If you wanna give Dengar an upgrade, I really suggest seeking out the Little Armory MG3 kit.
It looks enough like the '42 to pass in my books.
6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) 46999282071_ec51e6f17e_c

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:Most excellent, man! The hunters are some really solid figures. If you wanna give Dengar an upgrade, I really suggest seeking out the Little Armory MG3 kit. It looks enough like the '42 to pass in my books.

Thank you, and thanks for the suggestion! I looked it up and ordered one. To make it really movie accurate, looks like one should also forego mounting the stock. I did the same with a sixth-scale weapon for my Sideshow Dengar.

TheReviewSpot

TheReviewSpot
Those are some great shots, GubernatorFan! They look great together!

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah I like this group of glorified extras. As a boy I even bought one of those 90s Short Story books about those individual Bounty Hunters. I don't know if anything ist still 'canon', haha.

I like your remark about the 'attractive' Bossk. Even the ugly faces have to be idealized, haha.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
TheReviewSpot wrote:Those are some great shots, GubernatorFan! They look great together!

Thank you very much! This one took some thinking and "building" -- the background -- so I really appreciate it.

Ovy wrote:Yeah I like this group of glorified extras. As a boy I even bought one of those 90s Short Story books about those individual Bounty Hunters. I don't know if anything ist still 'canon', haha. I like your remark about the 'attractive' Bossk. Even the ugly faces have to be idealized, haha.

Agreed. And considering what has been passing for Star Wars since the Original Trilogy ended, I'm not going to worry too much about Disney setting "canon." As for "attractive" Bossk, I think if the movie was being made now (or if Lucas would still reach back into the past and redo something), that is how the character would have been updated. Though I am divided on that -- after all the point is to recreate what we saw on the screen.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Excellent review! While I am still struggling to get into collecting Black Series 6 inch figures at this point, I have to say these look very nice for what they are. Not to mention your photos and poses are extremely illustrative and helpful, especially in giving an idea of how they all look together. Thanks so much for this! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Excellent review! While I am still struggling to get into collecting Black Series 6 inch figures at this point, I have to say these look very nice for what they are. Not to mention your photos and poses are extremely illustrative and helpful, especially in giving an idea of how they all look together. Thanks so much for this! Smile

Thank you (and you're welcome). I'm very glad you liked the review and photos, and that you found them helpful.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
At the suggestion of PickleMunkey, I went for the 1/12-scale MG3 gun to customize as a more accurate version of Dengar's weapon. Then I painted it to look more realistic. Then I painted the weapons of all the others (except Boba Fett, who is sitting this one out). Then I remembered scalawag's reasonable disappointment with how "golden" IG-88 was in this, his second Black Series iteration, so I repainted him too, and spruced up a few other details here and there... so here's the pack now, thinking they're on the red carpet, and then insisting to go on a pointless mission in the yard... err... the planet Tarudan...

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs19

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs20

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs21

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs22

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs23

6inch - Star Wars Hasbro Black Series 6 inch Bounty Hunters (updated) Swbhbs24

What do you think?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
NICE! Very funny “A false lead...” They all look pretty good out there in the yard... I mean on Tarudan.

scalawag

scalawag
Great figures that now look even better in my opinion mate.

I really like how IG-88 now looks, and the work on the weapons really improves them too.

The photoshoot is funny too, I love it.

Paul

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum