OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sixth Scale Skateboard

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Sixth Scale Skateboard Sat May 04, 2019 1:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I recall a discussion from the early days of this not-so-venerable forum, in which members bemoaned the fact that most "sixth-scale" skateboards were undersized or otherwise improperly scaled for most of the figures in this scale. Although I am not at all knowledgeable about skateboards, I do like to pick up items for everyday scenes and came across something that looked promising. It is being sold on eBay by several sellers as an unbranded sixth-scale skateboard; I got mine for $6 (USD) from yy_store17, who had it listed as "1/6 Scale Male Female Scooter scene model For 12" Acrion Figure Doll Toys" (sic!). It comes in a transparent plastic bag with a colorful but unspecific design on the end that simply says "Toys."  (NOTE: other sellers' listings for the same product include a photo of the underside that shows a different, mostly yellow design; as far as I can tell that was replaced or covered up by the mostly blue design you see here -- the yellow shows through at one end.)

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0110

I did a little bit of research, and here is how the skateboard compares to average 1:1 skateboards. They range in width between 18 and 27 cm and in length between 71 and 84 cm (again, on average). This 1:6 skateboard is 4.5 cm wide by 14 cm long, which puts it close to the upper limits of the average 1:1 skateboards when adjusted for scale. Anything longer than that (though usually narrower) would have made it a longboard. At any rate, the product is certainly not undersized for 1:6 scale.

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0210

The 1:6 skateboard features functional, rolling red wheels, and an elaborately decorated underside with spider web patterning, a dramatically damaged skull, and painted drops of blood (as part of the art, not weathering).

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0310

The top side of the skateboard has a yellow rim and within it is glued down a piece of black sandpaper, which presumably helps provide your figures a sure footing.

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0410

Without being really knowledgeable about skateboards, I find nothing really problematic here, except maybe this: the rather solid supports for the wheels make it rather difficult to have your figures hold the skateboard in what is apparently called the mall-grip (see below).

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0510

As usual when showcasing such products, I have kept things simple and avoided any visual trickery and special effects. But you can achieve more dynamic and impressive skateboarding scenes, especially if you resort to dynamic stands, some tape, and photo editing.

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0610

While a relatively simple affair, the 1:6 skateboard appears to be a fully functional and properly scaled piece that can be put to effective use for the protagonists or extras of any modern scene or diorama.

Sixth Scale Skateboard Tsb0710

I hope this has been helpful. What do you think?

#skateboard #sport

2Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 pm

MerylAkiba

Righteous and radical, dude! My brother had the exact same color skateboard, rim, and wheels as a kid, except the skull was wearing a yellow jester hat Very Happy

I had one with Bruce Lee on the bottom, 2 yellow and 2 blue wheels, and a white eagle on the top

back in the good old days when you could use a baseball helmet, and dad said not to pass the end of the block.

3Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sat May 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very nice review. I don't have any personal need for skateboards, but it's cool they are available.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Sixth Scale Skateboard C8485110

4Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sat May 04, 2019 8:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:Righteous and radical, dude! My brother had the exact same color skateboard, rim, and wheels as a kid, except the skull was wearing a yellow jester hat Very Happy I had one with Bruce Lee on the bottom, 2 yellow and 2 blue wheels, and a white eagle on the top. back in the good old days when you could use a baseball helmet, and dad said not to pass the end of the block.

Thank you very much! Coming from an actual skateboarder like you, this is all the more encouraging!

Stryker2011 wrote:Very nice review. I don't have any personal need for skateboards, but it's cool they are available.

Thank you very much! I feel much like you do, but couldn't resist picking it up -- both because it was cool and just in case. Let's face it: on a certain level we don't have much personal need for any of this.

5Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great review and cool looking skateboard.

6Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sun May 05, 2019 6:39 am

Eph

Not bad find, but Your presentation is the best. The skater poses looks like so real

7Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Great find! And yes, I agree with Eph.... even better presentation! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Sixth Scale Skateboard Empty Re: Sixth Scale Skateboard Sun May 05, 2019 1:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great review and cool looking skateboard.

Eph wrote:Not a bad find, but Your presentation is the best. The skater poses look so real

skywalkersaga wrote:Great find! And yes, I agree with Eph.... even better presentation! Smile

Thank you all! I'm glad you liked it, and especially flattered you found my rather basic photos good. While I had an idea of a few poses I should recreate, I also did a quick search for additional inspiration. But without resorting to dynamic stands and photo editing, I've kept it pretty simple.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum