For all the effort I'd put into the Kamiko figure I'd created to as closely as possible match my DAZ 3D creation, I just wasn't satisfied with either the hair or the bow. In a previous post, I explained how I'd given her long bangs by pulling a lock of hair from back to front and fixing it in place using a small paintbrush and dilute simple syrup. (boiled water and sugar) and how I'd attached to bow to a bent piece of steel wire, painted red.
This however left the rest of Kamiko's hair way too fluffy and prone to going out of place. The bow, was was often moving about and getting flattened out as well. To boot, flecks of red paint kept coming off the hair band. See below.
20190602_0005 copy by Gary Menten, on Flickr
Discovery 3 by Gary Menten, on Flickr
Dissatisfied, I decided to try the simple syrup technique on all her hair and find a better solution for the bow. First, I wet all of the head sculpt's hair with tap water and dried off most of the excess. Then I carefully styled it all in place using a modellers paint brush...a #1, I think and the syrup. This took longer than you might think, because of the bangs. Next, while still wet but partially dry, I used a cocktail pick to puff up the hair where I want it it puffed up a bit, and finally let it dry over night.
20190604_0003 by Gary Menten, on Flickr
The next morning I made a new bow and after trying to fix it using thinner wire than before, basically decided to try something novel; sew it directly to her hair. Since her locks were now fixed as if they'd been hair sprayed, this turned out to be a practical solution and I simply ran a red thread three o four times over the center of the bow and beneath a lock of hair that ran parallel to the long axis of the bow, and tying it off. I used a bit more simple syrup to fix the hair around the bow, and this had an unintended by beneficial effect on the bow in that it was puffed up at the time and served to soak up the syrup to the point of saturation. I only noticed this later when I noticed that the bow had dried as nice and stiffly puffed up as though someone had starched it into shape.
20190604_0004 by Gary Menten, on Flickr
For those who are wondering, you cannot of course use actual hair spray on wig hair and almost certainly not doll or action figure hair, which like most wig hair, is synthetic. It might be possible to use wig spray, but I'd be afraid of what it might do to the head sculpt. To boot, it probably would not have left me sufficient time to shape the hair like I wanted to and would be a bigger pain to clean up. The dilute syrup works well, I think. But judge for yourselves.
20190604_0005 by Gary Menten, on Flickr
As a final part of the makeover, I decided to switch out Kamiko's sports bra for the high-collared T-shirt and immediately loved the effect It's almost a turtleneck and to boot, it helps to camouflage what I find are this figures worst feature, the bony shoulders. The bra does look wonderful on my new S28A figure with it's meatier and more rounded shoulders and since I'm keeping that one on, I figured that Kamiko could try wearing a T-shirt for now. Personally, I really like the whole makeover, but as always, your comments and or critiques are welcome.
20190604_0006 by Gary Menten, on Flickr