OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:29 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Hey folks,
My adventures in paper towel craft continue, this time in 1/6 instead of 1/12.

This is my second attempt at making one of these, and it turned our much better than my first try, on the left in the photo below.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045217572_75afd5b814_c

I started with a section of paper towel I snatched from the bathroom at my work. It's plain, no designs or brands imprinted on it.

I lined the back of most of the sheet with some hockey tape, first in a section a little over 1" wide.
This was then trimmed down to form the crown of the hat, sized to fit the head sculpt I had on-hand (and had recently repainted as well)

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045153891_7b1e3d5c9e_c

Then I traced out a circle using the lid of a gum container, to be the brim. I cut a + in the middle of the circle, expanding the cut to allow the head to fit snugly inside. the panels from the cut were then glued up inside the crown.

I also used the end of the crown to trace out and form the top of the hat, to cover everything up.
I then used some carnation ribbon to cover the seam of the top of the crown, and make a bit of a band to cover the seam where the crown and brim meet.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045153831_4a7911b437_c

Then paint, inside and out.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045235247_abf54a7081_c

Gave it a couple coats of beige wash, then a beige/brown wash. A coat or two of clear floor polish applied on top of that.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045153916_783e4a2ee8_c

Then I hit it with a wash of beige, brown and black, mixed nice 'n dark and sponged off with a tissue. More floor polish to seal.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045235307_fdf69b2c1e_c

Also added a hat band, and rodeo string.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045169103_d6b677972e_c

The only things I may be changing with this going forward would be to add an inner sweat band, and maybe a bigger hat band as a separate piece.

Here's the back.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045135681_2c11d24350_c

Profile.
Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045217507_4449875e68_c

And front ¾ view.

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat 48045168998_216070bcf7_c

This will be the head the hat will be in use on with a custom cowboy figure I'm planning, so stay tuned for that.

2Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What cool innovation. Nicely done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat C8485110

3Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Remarkable! Thanks for sharing and explaining.

4Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Such a neat idea, thanks for sharing!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

5Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot folks! Pretty pleased with the results.

Now I gotta track down a revolver or two, and a gunbelt.

6Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 am

Ovy

Ovy
You might be the master of Canadian papertoweling!

7Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Ovy wrote:You might be the master of Canadian papertoweling!
Haha thanks. You never know, it is a surprisingly small field of expertise Cool

8Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am

blackpool

blackpool
This is so smart and well executed! Brilliant! Thanks a lot for showing!

9Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Empty Re: Scratch Built Paper Towel Cowboy Hat Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
blackpool wrote:This is so smart and well executed! Brilliant! Thanks a lot for showing!
Haha thanks man, really appreciate it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum