OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Okay, before I start posting some of my really long and complex past project threads, I thought I'd do another short quickie. This one's from about two or three years ago, so much more recent than that fally I just posted. HFRO is still one of my all-time favorite action dramas, and I had always wanted to do a 1/6 Marko Ramius.



"...My officers and I request asylum in the United States of America."

tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060107
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  Hat%20ramius
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060117 tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060088

More pics under better lighting to show details:

tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060015_1
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060056_1
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060019_1
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060020_1
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060018
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060053_1
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060016_1

Headsculpt and body: COO, from the Teutonic Knight set
Tunic: Toys City school uniform set
Pants: Dragon K-19 set
Shirt: DiD (don't remember which, one of the white collarless ones)
Shoes: DiD (don't remember which)
Shoulder boards, chest ribbons, gold buttons, star and bars on sleeves: K-19 set
Peaked cap: ITPT black SS, with Dragon German chin cords (painted gold) and K-19 cap badge
Medals on right breast and wreath insignia on cap: scratch-made by me (talk about eye strain!)


I managed to pick up the Dragon K-19 set for a decent price on ebay a while ago, and I always had wanted to use it on a Marko Ramius figure. That set's uniform is totally wrong for Ramius, though, but the overcoat and fur hat works. Then the COO Teutonic knight came out with a decent Connery sculpt, so I got that. And finally someone on this board [OSW] in another thread mentioned the Toys City school uniform as a good match for Ramius' uniform, so I purchased that as well and pretty much had all my parts to get started, minus shirt and shoes which weren't too hard to find.

I took whatever insignia I could use from the K-19 set, including those nice gold buttons. Cutting off the stars and bars from the sleeves meant destroying that tunic, however, so I was committed. I had to modify the bars by reducing the number from four to three and also painting in the gaps with gold paint to better represent Ramius' markings. Shoulder boards are modified with one gold stripe painted out and one star added to the existing two (from the extra shoulder boards on the overcoat). Unfortunately the medals on the K-19 tunic were just stickers and not realistic at all, so I redrew and cut them out of styrene and painted them and coated them with Future (fortunately I had a little gold star left over from the shoulder boards I could use on the diamond shaped medal).

The tunic is a very close match in cut and shape, except for lacking the breast patch pockets. I didn't end up trying to make those because a) I didn't have any matching material to make them out of b) I was lazy and c) you can barely see it in pics because of the black uniform. The material by the way is very fine and smooth and the tailoring is really sharp with nice padded shoulders and fully lined. However the pants were very modern and skinny, which would have looked wrong for the mid 80s uniform look so I used the K-19 pants. The material doesn't quite match but the black color hides it well.

I like how the cap turned out even if it's oversized and not the perfect shape. The black SS cap had the correct white piping (the one on the bottom was painted out), and when you add the gold insignia and details and also a styrene stiffener in the crown it looks okay. (cutting out those little wreaths and scribing them really tested my patience!) Good enough for a prop accessory. Ramius never wears his cap during the movie—the only scene where he has it is pictured above when he meets Jack Ryan and Capt. Mancuso for the first time.

The headsculpt needs a little work to better look like Connery in the film. It's not a perfect resemblance but not bad IMO. I repainted the beard and hair and eyebrows and lowered the hairline just a bit. What I should have done was also resculpted more hair around the widow's peak, but I was lazy and just wanted to try it with paint. The skin tone is lightened with some airbrush work as well. Here's a before pic, courtesy of Rattlesnake Toys, from whom I bought an extra sculpt as insurance and to practice on.
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  Rattlesnake%20head

At the end of it all I had a spare head, extra pants, overcoat, and fur hat, so all I needed was another pair of shoes, a scarf and some gloved hands to represent Ramius when he stands on the bridge in that iconic opening scene.
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  P1060021_1

I added binoculars to give him something to hold, even though he's just holding on to the edge while Borodin scans the horizon with his binoculars. You'll notice how tan his skin is (I didn't do any airbrush work on this one) and that my beard/hair repaint was not quite as finished, since this was the "practice head." BTW I only have one of those cap badges, so it's attached by Blu-tack to the peaked cap in case I want to put it back on the fur hat.

#film #jackryan #tomclancy #coldwar #coomodel #custom #kitbash #male


_________________
Tank Girl

brassco

brassco
recreation of movie characters...i like it. Although the HS doesn't look like SC.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really well done. I remember this one. I’ve always wanted to try this myself but didn’t. At least now I can live vicariously through this thread. Thanks for sharing it here, and for all the details and breakdown. cheers


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  TCFITBi

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another stunning custom. I think you captured the look of the uniform perfectly, whether or not some of the details were carried over (like the missing pockets you mentioned). The head is not a 100% match, however I was very impressed. Strangely, it somehow looked more accurate the more the photo zoomed in on it, and that says a lot about your skills as a customizer and artist. Thank you for sharing.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Very nice, that Connery head is pretty decent up close. I'm sure someone did one from The Rock that might be closer. I have one of the old Hero Heads that was good at the time.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
Outstanding.

Thank you for reposting it as I don't remember seeing it before.

That's great work.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Hot damn. I missed this before, so I'm glad I'm seeing it now. I really like the head sculpt, and especially with the your additional paint work, I think really nails Connery's look. The uniform looks great. I'm not sure if it's more noticeable in person, but I'd never have guessed the pants were from a different set. And the medals came out EXCELLENT. Also, those darker photos with the black background are wonderfully cinematic, with those great contrasting shadows. Really glad this thread made it over here. Been a long time since I've watched the movie, but this has made me want to see it again.


_________________
www.reverendspooky.com
http://reverendspooky.com

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
We found the cure for the Cold War and now we've lost it! Haven't you ever lost anything Mr. Ambassador? An election? Your nuclear caterpillar drive submarine?

Excellent work. I enjoyed this movie immensely , and as you can tell, other Connery movies as well.

Kukolka

Kukolka
Shocked If you didn't say, I would have thought he came this way. Great job making up the head sculpt and making those tiny insignia!


_________________
https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/

blackpool

blackpool
wow, amazing work!!! Those first pics with the red light could be promotional for an official release, what a nice tribute to this great movie!!! awesome!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
brassco wrote:recreation of movie characters...i like it. Although the HS doesn't look like SC.
Thanks brassco! Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the HS. It's not perfect but for a second-tier manufacturer without an official license I think it's really pretty good.
Stryker2011 wrote:Really well done. I remember this one. I’ve always wanted to try this myself but didn’t. At least now I can live vicariously through this thread. Thanks for sharing it here, and for all the details and breakdown. cheers
Thanks Stryker2011!
GubernatorFan wrote:Another stunning custom. I think you captured the look of the uniform perfectly, whether or not some of the details were carried over (like the missing pockets you mentioned). The head is not a 100% match, however I was very impressed. Strangely, it somehow looked more accurate the more the photo zoomed in on it, and that says a lot about your skills as a customizer and artist. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for the kind comments GubernatorFan! Yes, when I saw the promo of the Knight figure I instantly thought, "that's Connery in HRFO!" Obviously it's not 100% but I thought it had great potential once repainted.
Rogerbee wrote:
Very nice, that Connery head is pretty decent up close. I'm sure someone did one from The Rock that might be closer. I have one of the old Hero Heads that was good at the time.

CHEERS!
Thanks Rogerbee! It's interesting how both you and GFan think it looks even better the closer you get. Most sculpts people seem to say the opposite! BTW I did look for the The Rock figure sculpt. Initially I thought it was more accurate (ironically the hair is more accurate which it is not in this one), but I actually saw some in-hand pics of that sculpt in some blog and I thought it looked too cartoonish and exaggerated, so I stuck with this one.
dadrab wrote:Outstanding.

Thank you for reposting it as I don't remember seeing it before.

That's great work.
Thanks dadrab for your support!
ReverendSpooky wrote:Hot damn.  I missed this before, so I'm glad I'm seeing it now.  I really like the head sculpt, and especially with the your additional paint work, I think really nails Connery's look.  The uniform looks great.  I'm not sure if it's more noticeable in person, but I'd never have guessed the pants were from a different set.  And the medals came out EXCELLENT.  Also, those darker photos with the black background are wonderfully cinematic, with those great contrasting shadows.  Really glad this thread made it over here.  Been a long time since I've watched the movie, but this has made me want to see it again.
Wow thanks for the compliments ReverendSpooky! When it comes down to it this is a simple figure with basically no gear and not a complicated uniform, but the details that do exist needed care. Also, I do have a fetish for trying to capture poses just right to mirror film stills or historical pics. It was fun trying to figure out the lighting on this. Glad you liked it!
Pontiacivan wrote:We found the cure for the Cold War and now we've lost it! Haven't you ever lost anything Mr. Ambassador? An election? Your nuclear caterpillar   drive submarine?

Excellent work. I enjoyed this movie immensely , and as you can tell, other Connery movies as well.
Nice and very clever! And thank you Pontiacivan!
Kukolka wrote:Shocked If you didn't say, I would have thought he came this way. Great job making up the head sculpt and making those tiny insignia!
Thanks Kukolka! I appreciate the comment!
blackpool wrote:wow, amazing work!!! Those first pics with the red light could be promotional for an official release, what a nice tribute to this great movie!!! awesome!
That's high praise from you blackpool (love your photography!) and I thank you for it!


_________________
Tank Girl

Allotropos

Allotropos
I don't remember seeing this one on the other side and I am very happy you're sharing it here.
Sharp looking officer and love the pics of your custom


_________________
tomclancy - Archive "old" work: "I present you... the ballistic missile submarine Red October..."  AH5gGa0

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Thanks Allotropos! Glad you like it!


_________________
Tank Girl

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum