OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1/6 scale bed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11/6 scale bed Empty 1/6 scale bed Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Today was a glorious, warm and breezy early summer day and if I were a completely normal person I would have been outdoors all day enjoying it. (It's a provincial holiday, you see.)  Alas....got about as much outdoor sun and warmth as I could possibly stomach in one long weekend on Saturday and Sunday.  Consequently, I wasted most of my day indoors building a DIY bed for the Pin-Up Patrol girls.  It's a scale 6 1/2" by 3' and constructed using a combination of techniques I've seen here and on YouTube, which has some excellent DIY furniture building videos.  It's not completely finished either; it still needs a head board...maybe.... and some pillows and top sheet for sure.  I did not take photos as I was building it, so this will not be a tutorial, just a few photos, but I'm happy to answer any questions about how I built it to anyone who is interested.  The end result is far from perfect; I but I learned a lot while building this, my first attempt at DIY 1/6th furniture and now feel that I'm ready to take on more complex projects like a sofa or love seat.

Also, only a few of the photos I shot today are posted here. The others are a bit too racy, but can be seen on Flickr.

1/6 scale bed 48124229622_389a494326_bTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

1/6 scale bed 48124140931_f82439c563_zTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko and Gogo share a personal moment as Kamiko sips a beer.

1/6 scale bed 48123229983_4dc2000cb5_kTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

1/6 scale bed 48123227688_e9fa4f193b_bTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Gogo begins to undress

1/6 scale bed 48123761337_f82b8eb3ab_bTB League / Phicen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

And that's about as much as I'll post here.  

Anyway, your feedback as always, is much appreciated.

21/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:42 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks pretty good -- very well made. But one question: Isn't 6 1/2" a little short for a bed at this scale? Looks like it could be a settee or lounge. I'd be interested in seeing a figure lying down the length of it -- since the figures are supposed to be 12" roughly.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1/6 scale bed C8485110

31/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks pretty good -- very well made. But one question: Isn't 6 1/2" a little short for a bed at this scale? Looks like it could be a settee or lounge. I'd be interested in seeing a figure lying down the length of it -- since the figures are supposed to be 12" roughly.

It's 13" long and seems just about right on these figures. Mind-you the female figures are a bit shorter. If you click on the images, they will land you on my Flickr page and you can seen figures in different poses. Because there is nudity involved, they are not posted in this forum in deference to the rules.

41/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ah, okay. I read 6 1/2" in your first post, and I thought that meant the length. I'll check out the Flickr images, as well.

1/6 scale bed C8485110

51/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Ah, okay. I read 6 1/2" in your first post, and I thought that meant the length. I'll check out the Flickr images, as well.

That's my typo. It's a scale 6 1/2 feet, which is 13" at this scale. I will shoot some photos with the figures lying down on the bed and post them tonight or tomorrow.

61/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:07 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Far from perfect? Looks pretty perfect to me. Smile Well done.

71/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Far from perfect? Looks pretty perfect to me. Smile Well done.

Thanks. I made some mistakes along the way, but was able to cover them up. One glaring one (to me at any rate) is that while the sheet has "hospital corners" They are on the short sides, rather than the long sides, where they should be. I don't think too many people will care about that however. It did serve as a good learning experience for building more complex furniture items like sofas. That's the next one I'll attempt.

81/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ha! Hospital corners — you never forget how to do those once it’s been pounded into your head.

1/6 scale bed C8485110

91/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:43 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Ha! Hospital corners — you never forget how to do those once it’s been pounded into your head.

When I was on my combat leader's course we basically learned to make our beds once perfectly, then slept on the floor with our air mattresses and sleeping bags since those took a lot less time to stow come morning than it took to make our beds.

This experience was not at all uncommon in the Canadian Army.

101/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Lucky, they wouldn’t let us do that. On the upside I haven’t made a bed in years — the wife stopped asking me when she couldn’t get in the bed.

1/6 scale bed C8485110

111/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Lucky, they wouldn’t let us do that. On the upside I haven’t made a bed in years — the wife stopped asking me when she couldn’t get in the bed.

YES! Pure genius!

121/6 scale bed Empty Re: 1/6 scale bed Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:51 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Lucky, they wouldn’t let us do that. On the upside I haven’t made a bed in years — the wife stopped asking me when she couldn’t get in the bed.

YES! Pure genius!

Very clever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum