OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 17511010

HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Standard / Aquilifer Motif

configuration list:
- 1/6 simulation head carving
- Movable body
- 6 replacement hand garments:
- red top
- Chain Mail
- blue pants
- Beast head cloak
- red scarf
- Bracers
- Belt
- shoes
- Armor
- Helmet (metal)
- Chest accessories:
- Wide blade long 劒 (metal)
- Short sword (metal)
- Shield
- Eagle flag
- mask
- Round platform
-------------------------------------------------- ------
HH Model X HaoYuTOYS : 1/6 Imperial Army — Aquilifer

Configuration list:
-one(1) 1/6 simulation head carving
-one(1) Movable entity
-six(6) Pieces of Interchangeable Palms
Costumes:
-one(1) Red jacket
-one(1) Chain armor
-one(1) Blue pants
-one(1) Lion's cloak
-one(1) Red scarf
-one(2) Brown wristband
-one(1) belt
-one(1) Shoes
-one(1) Leg armor
-one(1) helmet(metal)
-one(1) Chest medal
Accessory:
-one(1) Long sword(metal)
-one(1) dagger(metal)
-one(1) Shield
-one(1) Eagle flag
-one(1) mask
-one(1) Round platform

HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 1895
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 2355
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 3256
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 4234
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 5226
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 6219
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 7211
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 8200
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 9189
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 10176
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 11172
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 12156
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 13146
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 14130
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 15119
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 16112
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 17105
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 1896
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 1980
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 2073
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 21118
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 22103
HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif 2356

#newproduct #HHModel #HaoYuToys #ImperialLegion #AncientRoman #EagleFlag #AquiliferMotif #male #military #historical

shazzdan

shazzdan
All that trouble to make armour from mail links and they do it the wrong way round. It needs to be rotated 90 degrees. When mail is made like that the links stretch open and don't work as armour.

I wish they would stop putting stupid Hollywood wrist bracers on Roman soldiers.

The rest of it is pretty cool. The lion pelt is a nice touch.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks promising, although I would not have looked closely enough to spot the mail links inaccuracy. I would also imagine that the shin guards were fairly rare at this point, although I'd have to look more closely at the standard bearers in my reference books to be sure. Some of what has jumped out at me as inaccurate equipment in recent Roman military figures has in fact made an appearance in recent publications. That does not necessarily prove it accurate, but a case has been made for it (though I imagine there is room for argument). The lion pelt is impressive, and looks more accurate than the one that came with TBLeague's Hercules. Also, this would be the third Roman figure by HH/Haoyu -- the first is already out and mine appears to be very good quality (it is the infantryman figure depicted flanking the aquilifer in the first photo). I will eventually get around to reviewing it.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
I see Davos Seaworth in the sculpt! Nice!

Delanie

Delanie
I'm going to display my ignorance of Roman soldiers again

what's wrong with the braces?

I can go with the idea of the ring mail but at that time were the rings forged or just bent?

I was always under the impression that the eagle barer had to defend the eagle which i suppose explains the fighting scenes but what would he do with it whilst fighting?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ok, I am not an expert on this era at all, but as far as I'm aware, the sort of stereotypical leather wrist and/or arm band as depicted in movies is not something that would have necessarily been commonly worn at this time. It seems to be a modern misconception of what an ancient type of warrior should be wearing....perhaps because early costume designs were based on inaccurate ideas of ancient armour, or because 'bare' wrists on men are viewed as somehow less masculine-looking, idk. 

Which isn't to say Roman men never wore anything over their forearms or wrists at all... there was something called the 'manica' which was like a sleeve of metal plates [often seen on gladiators in movies, iirc], and also decorative gold or silver bands worn more for display. And of course, arguments can always be made that 'just because there is no hard evidence doesn't mean things didn't exist', but more often than not the leather arm bands seen in films are included simply because people think that a 'warrior's' arm looks odd without them, rather than being a thoughtful reconstruction of an actual or even hypothetical type of armour.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Spyder

Spyder
I find it hard to believe that of the hundreds and thousand of Roman soldiers who existed, none of them would have worn leather bracers on their forearms. How many of them would have been wounded in that area and then decided to protect the area? I'm guessing quite a lot because it just makes sense, especially if one had suffered a wound on the forearm..which was quite common. I don't find the forearm protection inaccurate in the least.

"Absence of evidence is NOT Evidence of absence". Just because there isn't archeological evidence doesn't mean anything more than just that.
I'm just happy that we can have access to some nice 1:6 Roman soldiers which better than nothing.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I meant no denigration of the above figure, which is very aesthetically pleasing to me and is probably one of the nicer looking Roman figures I've seen offered lately. I was just trying to answer Delanie's question about why those kinds of arm braces are often considered to be at least in part a result of creative license. : )

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
To address some of the points above -- it is as skywalkersaga put it. There is no pictorial or archaeological evidence for Roman infantry wearing bracers or vambraces, leather or otherwise. In that respect it does seem to be something popularized by fantasy or historically inaccurate films. The only units that seem to have had such protection (usually only worn on one arm -- typically the left) were archers, which were present among the ranks of the auxiliaries, but were a relatively small portion of the armed forces. But like Spyder said, what's important is having access to such figures -- if one wants it accurate, one can simply take the bracers off (and hope they did not stain the lower arms). The same can be said for the shin guards.

I did a very quick check in the reference books I had handy and they seem to confirm this is indeed inaccurate. This includes the little volume Osprey has just published specifically on this type of units. It and some other recent works are by the sometimes revisionist and controversial Raffaele d'Amato, and even he does not propose the use of bracers for anyone but archers. None of the standard bearers were shown with shin guards either.

https://ospreypublishing.com/roman-standards-standard-bearers-1

The manica armored sleeve did exist, and although it now appears to have been more widespread than previously thought, it was still very rarely used, being something more typical for gladiators. For defense, the signifer seems to have carried ("chain") mail, a circular shield, sword and dagger; it was the responsibility of the legionaries around him to protect him and it was the most abysmal shame to allow the eagle or other standards to fall or be captured by the enemy.

As for "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," that is technically always true, but rarely helpful. Just as an example, consider that one logical extension of that would allow you to mount your Roman cavalry on unicorns. I know it's an extreme example, but I'm just making a point.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Spyder wrote:I find it hard to believe that of the hundreds and thousand of Roman soldiers who existed,  none of them would have worn leather bracers on their forearms. How many of them would have been wounded in that area and then decided to protect the area?

We have plenty of evidence covering a period of a thousand years including pictorial, textual and archaeological. They never in their entire history wore wrist bracers. People like me who actually make and experiment with this stuff know that it is surprisingly difficult to get one to stay in place on the wrist without attaching it to armour that covers the rest of the arm. If a Roman tried wearing one, he would have discarded it after his first battle.

"Absence of of evidence is NOT Evidence of absence". Just because there isn't archeological evidence doesn't mean anything more than just that.

Using this logic the Romans wore pink tutus and fought with bananas. Proper study of history involves actual evidence. When new evidence is produced, our conclusions are modified.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Play nice fellas.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

HHModel - NEW PRODUCT: HH Model x HaoYuTOYS Joint Launch: 1/6 Imperial Legion - Eagle Flag/Aquilifer Motif C8485110

Delanie

Delanie
Thanks for answering folks I was just curious although one of the answers does raise other questions but i wont post here as it doesn't directly relate to the figure, and i don't want to inflame or derail the discussion.

Suffice it to say I actually like this figure even though I am not fond of the fascination with the roman 'civilisation'

scalawag

scalawag
I find it interesting that they would make a figure like this and not do enough basic research to know that the Eagle is a standard and not a "flag". It could of course just be a translation thing but even so its schoolboy stuff really. Doesn't inspire confidence in the rest really.

Paul

shazzdan

shazzdan
In some languages there aren't two different words to distinguish between "standard" and "flag". Both would be called the same thing. They use the term aquilifer ("eagle bearer") so their intention is clear.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I was going to say...that seems like a translation thing to me. There is a word in Mandarin that can mean both/either, so google translate probably just chose the first one.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree about the ambiguity, but even in English the term "military standards" could apply to flags. But the inclusion of the proper Latin term does reflect the intended character correctly.

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
really nice looking figure. I missed out on the 1st 2 due to lack of cash, but still hoping to pick them up. Will pick this up too. Won't comment on anything about historical as lot of farbies around lol

https://www.hellblazerbiz.com

scalawag

scalawag
Fair enough I stand corrected.

Paul

blackpool

blackpool
Definitely gonna grab that head for a custom Ser Davos!!!

The set is beautiful, a chance I don't collect that era because I would build an army and conquer Europe (again lol)

As for the historical accuracy, I don't want to throw water on hot stones but sorry @shazzdan there are some evidences of use of bracers or forearms protections in the roman army (dunno where you got that they were never ever used in the whole roman history lol)

While not a part of the regular gear at first, the manica is the most famous example of arm protection used in the roman army, its origin is gaulish though, and it was used by gladiators at first. it consists in bent plates of iron which cover the foream, or the full arm, sometimes even up to the shoulder head. The roman army lately used the shorter version called "lorica manica" which was an extension of the "lorica segmentata", the common chest armor.

Evidence of the use of these manica can be found on various legionaries tombstones which used to be engraved and decorated with sculptures of their armors and weapons. The most famous being Sextus Valerus Severus, and Gaius Annius Salutus.

Out of the military, leather straps, wrists bands, and such were and still are commonly used by stone, iron, or wood craftmen, butchers, wrestlers, athletes... In fact their use became less common in some works done by slaves during the roman era. But there are evidences of use of leather straps and wrist bands from before the roman era (the egyptians come to my mind first)

Anyway sorry for the digression, while I'm not a military expert at all, a youth of reading "Asterix n Obelix" made me a fan of that historic period, got some good books from my grandparents covering the roman era quite well Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
blackpool wrote:As for the historical accuracy, I don't want to throw water on hot stones but sorry @shazzdan there are some evidences of use of bracers or forearms protections in the roman army (dunno where you got that they were never ever used in the whole roman history lol)

While not a part of the regular gear at first, the manica is the most famous example of arm protection used in the roman army, its origin is gaulish though, and it was used by gladiators at first. it consists in bent plates of iron which cover the foream, or the full arm, sometimes even up to the shoulder head. The roman army lately used the shorter version called "lorica manica" which was an extension of the "lorica segmentata", the common chest armor.

What does a segmented manica have to do with these Hollywood leather wrist bracers?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum