OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt10

Introduction

There was precious little I liked about the Star Wars stand-alone film Solo, but despite the inherent silliness and redundancy, there was just something that made me love the look of the new Patrol Trooper (I cannot say the same about the Biker-Scouts-on-steroids or the "Mimban Stormtroopers," both of which I found completely redundant, although the so-called "Mud Troopers" appear to be a good enough try at generic imperial infantry -- think "AT-ST drivers" -- in combat gear). The Patrol Trooper's design is at once new and familiar; in fact it is as if a stormtrooper, scout trooper, and shore trooper came together in some unholy and magical union and produced the patrol trooper. Although I had some concerns about the size of the helmet in the promotional images, I eventually bit the bullet and preordered it. It is not a decision I regret.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt11

Packaging: 4/4 stars

There is nothing really new or exciting about Hot Toys' traditional Star War packaging, apart from the colorful cigar box band attached to the bottom of the container, which showcases the product and its name in the same way we have seen with figures from Rogue One. When you open the lid, you find the now traditional card bearing a nice image of the action figure in action -- a nice but completely unnecessary luxury that is probably somehow intended to help justify the price. The box mercifully contains only a single plastic trey (with its cover) -- something that I have to point out as a blessing, having recently re-boxed my Hot Toys classic Superman (that thing had a positively heinous number of often unnecessary treys and covers). Of course that also means that the number of items and accessories is fairly limited. Everything is safe and collector-friendly.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt12

Sculpting: 4/4 stars

I suppose not having a human likeness to get right helps, but the excellence of the sculpt seems impeccable. The detail is sharp and precise, both on larger and simpler surfaces, and in places that are densely crammed with it (like the recessed panel on the back of the armor). The same carries over to the weapons and hands. I no longer think the helmet is too oversized, although it does have the tendency to appear so in photographs (it looks fine in hand). The Patrol Trooper stands about 30 cm (12 inches) tall.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt13

Paint: 4/4 stars

The basic paint job is simply black and white, with very little exception or nuance (like the green button on the chest armor and a few grey areas on the helmet and thermal detonator). However, Hot Toys gave the figure ample weathering (although this does not extend to the weapons). This is very well done (although I admit I prefer my troopers clean), pretty well balanced in terms of both intensity and distribution all over the figure's white armored elements. It is most pronounced on the boots, the helmet, and the inside parts of the gloved hands. The helmet's lenses are translucent green, even more noticeably so than usually. The white armor elements and the lens on the pistol are appropriately glossier than the rest of the surfaces.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt14

Articulation: 3/4 stars

The underlying Hot Toys action figure body presumably has all the articulation you could possibly desire, and it appears that at least some of the joints are now lightly ratcheted (the elbows), presumably so as to hold poses better. The armor and outfit partly restrict this articulation, and some of this might have been possible to address. For example, if Hot Toys had not put the same movement-inhibiting heavy padded garment under the visible layers as it usually does these days, it might have given the hips much better and almost unrestricted articulation. As it is, sliding the utility belt upwards does help, but only to a point. There is a partial problem with the wrists -- here the rubbery armored sleeves press down gently on the hands and make them pop off a little too easily. The worst impact is on the waist, where there is virtually no possibility for lateral or crunch movement. Other than that, the figure's articulation is surprisingly good and it can stand well on its own thanks to the two-part design of the boots and the resulting good ankle articulation.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt15

(Want to know the story behind this photo? Check out the photo story HERE.)

Accessories: 3/4 stars

The accessories that come with the Patrol Trooper are very limited, although admittedly not unreasonably so. We get an action figure stand and some spare parts, as well as an instruction leaflet, which is not likely to tell you anything you could not figure out on your own. The figure comes wearing relaxed hands, which can be exchanged with the included pair of fist hands, pair of grip hands, and single left hand with outstretched "halt!" fingers (I wonder why we couldn't we get its right counterpart); this makes a total of seven hands. Then there are the two real accessories: the pistol and baton ("nightstick"). Neither of them features any articulation, but they are well sculpted and painted (in the gun's case, the lens is glossy; the baton has several silverish metallic elements); but there isn't much in the way of weathering on either weapon. The pistol looks like a slightly revised version of the Scout Trooper pistol from The Return of the Jedi. Now while this limited selection is appropriate for what we see on the screen, it is just not something to be really excited about. Perhaps a standard imperial blaster rifle would have been a nice thing to include; I am not naive enough to argue that they should have added his ride, which would probably have doubled or tripled the price. So I am possibly a little hard on this category, which might deserve another half star.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt16

Light Feature: n/a

While there is no light feature included, light helps accentuate the green-tinted lenses of the Patrol Trooper's helmet. In some light you can actually tell they are green rather than black, and since there is no actual face under the helmet, in some poses the light would shine through, revealing both the color and transparency of the lenses. While this is not realistic in itself, it is very cool. Here is an exaggerated demonstration of this color and transparency.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt17

Outfit: 3/4 stars

The sculpted armor has been commented upon in the sculpting and paint categories above. The rest of the outfit is made of soft(er) goods. This is slightly more complex than usual with such figures and consists of the following: real fabric straps seemingly holding together parts of the chest plate; black trousers with a white stripe on the outer side; armored sleeves (i.e., sleeves with attached armor plates); and leather-like top; all of this is worn atop an underlying padded suit. This last part was Hot Toy's effort to make sure the outer, visible clothing fills out, but as usual causes annoying partial restrictions in the articulation. The leather-like top looks great with its realistic, pitted texture. The armored sleeves are made of a ribbed rubbery material that in principle looks great, but folds in somewhat unsightly ways when you bend the arms at the elbows; more importantly, some have expressed concern that this part of the outfit would develop cracks after repeated bending and drying out. I am not too concerned, but it is possible, and I would have preferred the use of some ribbed fabric anyway.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt18

Fun Factor: 4/4 stars

Despite his very limited screen time, the Patrol Trooper is a cool-looking character that lends himself to inclusion into a variety of custom Star Wars scenes and situations. With his good articulation, he should be a fun addition to any scene or collection. And I write this without any intention of combining him with any other Solo characters (even if I intend to pick up a "Mud Trooper").

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt19

Value: 3/4 stars

I am divided on this category. I pre-ordered this product for $210 (USD), but the common retail price now seems to be $220, and that does not include shipping. I thought the lower pre-order price comparatively decent, in line with other army-builder non-protagonists already produced by Hot Toys in the Star Wars franchise -- where $205-210 seems to be Hot Toy's rather twisted idea of a bargain. Seeing the new retail price makes me think twice about that conclusion (which was only relative anyway) and perhaps this category ought to lose another half star. But the figure itself is a great, if limited product, and the price is far lower than some of the egregious prices Hot Toys is asking for other, especially protagonist figures.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt20

Things to watch out for

Not much. As mentioned, the hands tend to pop off a little too easily, so you might want to keep an eye on them in case something disappears. The baton slides into its holder with some difficulty, and I recommend trying to slide it in from the underside (contrary to instructions). The holder itself can come off the belt, but you can easily re-attach it.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt21

Overall: 3.5/4 stars

I didn't know quite what to expect of this figure and wasn't sure how much I would like it, given how little I liked the film it was in and how much I resent the constant infusion of newer and ever sillier trooper types (at the expense of the established ones we know and love) even in what is supposed to be basically contemporary to the Original Trilogy. But I do like it: both as a design and as an action figure, with which I have very few gripes. The one real disappointment is the price, but that has to be what one expects of this company and license these days. Everything else about this product is passable at worst and great at best. Since these are troopers and they should come in plural (or at least dual) numbers, I was tempted to get one more, but given the (new and higher) price and the fact that we only see one on screen, I have for once managed to restrain myself.

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt22

Where to Buy

Apart from eBay, I can suggest these:

Big Bad Toy Store for $220
Cotswold Collectibles for $220
Timewalker Toys for $220

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review Htswpt23

Shooting the photos for this review resulted in an impromptu photo story (the third this week!), which you can check out HERE.

Hope this was useful. What do you think?

#starwars #solo #hottoys #patroltrooper #galacticempire #imperial #military #fiction #scifi #male

blackpool

blackpool
very cool review GF, thanks a lot, I love how you manage to show the figure potential through cool poses and setups! While I often find the official promo shots beautiful and very "esthetic" they often miss the core of it, a good scene, interactions, more dynamic poses... Very well done, and that is a nice trooper, I would surely get a pair of these if I was into SW figures (good lord keeps me away from these lmao)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good and thorough review. I agree with blackpool about the interactive setups — really makes the figure look good.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

fiction - STAR WARS Patrol Trooper by Hot Toys - Review C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:very cool review GF, thanks a lot, I love how you manage to show the figure potential through cool poses and setups! While I often find the official promo shots beautiful and very "esthetic" they often miss the core of it, a good scene, interactions, more dynamic poses... Very well done, and that is a nice trooper, I would surely get a pair of these if I was into SW figures (good lord keeps me away from these lmao)

Thank you very much (and welcome). Coming from you, with your advanced photography and design skills, this is extremely flattering and appreciated. Yes, army-building (even on a very very very limited scale) in this scale is painful.

Stryker2011 wrote:Good and thorough review. I agree with blackpool about the interactive setups — really makes the figure look good.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. And glad you like the interactive scenes -- they do kinda come together naturally.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Review, Thanks ! That´s the best figure of a Trooper i´ve  seen so far. I really like the classic armor design  form my childhood, but this disign is really great. maybe a drinking straw inside the coffe cup and the other end in one of the mouth holes of the helmet ? Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Great Review, Thanks ! That's the best figure of a Trooper I've  seen so far. I really like the classic armor design from my childhood, but this design is really great. maybe a drinking straw inside the coffee cup and the other end in one of the mouth holes of the helmet ? Very Happy

You are welcome and thank you. Obviously I, too, found it irresistible. Good point about the straw -- although I was telling myself the incompatibility between the helmet and the coffee and donuts add to the ridiculousness of the thing. I did make the donuts from scratch. First time I've made donuts! Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really, you made the donuts! That's awesome. I had no idea. Nicely done.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Oh yes, and thank you very much! I also ordered some on eBay (those had sprinkles!) but you know me, patience is not one of my many virtues, so I just made them myself of air-drying clay and acrylic paint.

Ovy

Ovy
Detailed and great to read review, as always.
I actually liked how established armor pieces were merged/combined in that Solo movie. I mean, it was the first movie wihtout COMPLETELY new imperial armour sets, at least.

I guess this one does work better as a standalone figure, I mean multiple highly detailed figure with exactly the same weathering? That would bother me. But well, I found my happiness in 1/12 troopers, saved me a lot of money and space. Thanks again for that Gubernator, haha.
6 of 5 donuts

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Detailed and great to read review, as always.
I actually liked how established armor pieces were merged/combined in that Solo movie. I mean, it was the first movie wihtout COMPLETELY new imperial armour sets, at least.

I guess this one does work better as a standalone figure, I mean multiple highly detailed figure with exactly the same weathering? That would bother me. But well, I found my happiness in 1/12 troopers, saved me a lot of money and space. Thanks again for that Gubernator, haha.
6 of 5 donuts

You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words. Glad you liked it. I think you make a good point about the armor in this movie being less completely new than what we see in other new Star Wars movies, and that ought to be a good thing.

I am not really opposed to new trooper types, but generally speaking I'd like them to have better rationale for existing and not to overshadow or replace the classic types we know and love. This was arguably a "traffic policeman," something we hadn't seen before, and a very cool design (although I realize individual tastes vary). Though his functions could have been performed by the traditional Scout Troopers ("Biker Scouts"), who at least incidentally replicate the functions of "highway patrol" on Endor, I liked him enough to get. I do feel the Ranger Troopers and Mimban Stormtroopers in particular should have been just regular Scout Troopers and Stormtroopers, perhaps with some distinctive extra gear but no need to make changes to the basic armor and equipment. Of course, that's just my personal impression.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Guv, did you get any of the R1 Troopers?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Guv, did you get any of the R1 Troopers?

If you mean the Stormtroopers from Rogue One, they are actually my favorites (although I agree there really is no objective excuse to tinker even slightly with the original design) and they are the ones shown here and in the photo story (I also did a formal guest review for Michael Crawford HERE). I did also pick up a Shore Trooper (AKA Scarif Trooper), which I used HERE and HERE, and a Death Trooper which I used HERE.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ahh, I guess I wasn’t paying too munch attention to the Troopers in some of those pics. Will you be replacing Krennic with an HT even though yours looks pretty good?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Ahh, I guess I wasn’t paying too munch attention to the Troopers in some of those pics. Will you be replacing Krennic with an HT even though yours looks pretty good?

Then they worked seamlessly, which is success, I suppose (just added a link to the formal review I had done, which went over the differences between them and the original ANH design). Smile We'll see... if I can stomach the price, I will probably find it hard to resist.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:I guess this one does work better as a standalone figure, I mean multiple highly detailed figure with exactly the same weathering? That would bother me.

I meant to address this part... My justification for having just one (apart from the price, which would also justify having zero) is that we only see one. Of course, you are correct that multiple detailed figures with identical weathering might look off -- almost makes me wish they would have random weathering, but that would complicate ordering and customer satisfaction to no end and would be impractical. Still, the weathering is not too stark, and I suppose one could customize it if one were building a group of these troopers.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
God! Could you imagine the outcry over different weathering...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:God! Could you imagine the outcry over different weathering...

Oh yes. One would say ... I ordered it thinking mine would look like a Dalmatian, but I received an Siberian Tiger instead! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum