OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

scalawag

scalawag
Another of my mini reviews on items I have had for a while.  

This time I am looking at my SideShow Speeder Bike and Scout Trooper.  

I thought it would be good to look at these now as the Speeder Bike has just been re-released, and the Biker Scout is about to be re-released by SideShow.  Typical of SideShow that. I looked for ages to get one of these in reasonable condition and at a reasonable price  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

The bike is in my opinion the best detailed version of the speeder bike available.  Sideshow have gone to great lengths to recreate the engine parts and all the controls, and have also done a very sympathetic job on the weathering.  I am aware that some feel that this version is to small and that the Hasbro bike is proportionally better, however after examining as many screen shots, production pictures, and even reproductions of the artwork used to design and ultimately build the real bikes I think this one is nearer to the original film used props.  I have both this and the Hasbro version, and in truth neither are absolutely proportionally correct, and this is a little bit shorter than it should be, where, according to my calculations and measurements, the Hasbro is wider, longer and has an overall more chunky look to it.

The Speeder Bike comes in several pieces which need to be assembled.  Some of the parts are quite thin and fragile so you do have to take care when putting this together or taking it apart.  The thinner parts around the control handles are particularly delicate, but then the overall look is all the better for them being near to scale sizes.
There are a number of moving parts such as the handlebars and pedals, the exhaust covers at the rear and the fins at the front of the bike which helps in getting some very realistic looking poses with this model.

The bike is supported on a single metal rod which slots into the bike and a weighted base which keeps the bike very stable.  The bike can be angled on the base to get some good action poses as if it is turning etc...  
The base comes with some woodland scenery to cover the black plastic with if you wish, and I have also used the similar base cover from the Biker Scout figure to add to this an completely cover the base the best I can.  You can see in the last pic of the bike on display that I have now also added a 1/6 Black Series Rebel commando helmet too just to add to the effect.

The Biker figure is pretty standard SideShow fare.  The costume is very well recreated and due to the sparser armour and no padded suit the joints remain fairly flexible.  Its a reasonably possible figure and can be made to pose on the bile in any number of convincing riding poses.  It comes with boots for standing and the ones seen here which have the toes positioned to sit correctly on the bikes pedals.  There are also spare hands for relaxed look, holding the handlebars of the bike and the included blaster pistol.
As mentioned the base comes with a a cover to make it look like the forrest floor.  

This figure does not need the bike and it does make a very nice stand alone figure, although it is of course nice to be able to display both together.

speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout PDYRGoY
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout XB29PMa
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout KhPKbnB
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout 0lfHtaD
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout SnTDHky
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout WaGLMOH

I hope you enjoyed this mini review, and as always any comments are welcome.

Paul

#starwars #speeder #speederbike #bikerscout #scouttrooper #rotj #movie #scfi

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really cool. Maybe it’s because I’m a biker (motorcyle that is), but this was always one of my favorite vehicles from the OT. I’ve seen some on eBay recently, but at the cost , one would be better off getting the new one. I have Sideshow’s ROTJ Luke on PO, and I could always put him on it in his Endor outfit.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout C8485110

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Really cool. Maybe it’s because I’m a biker (motorcyle that is), but this was always one of my favorite vehicles from the OT. I’ve seen some on eBay recently, but at the cost , one would be better off getting the new one. I have Sideshow’s ROTJ Luke on PO, and I could always put him on it in his Endor outfit.

Yeah the prices of used ones have dropped back a bit from what they were, since SideShow re-released it , but as you say you are still probably better off getting a new one.  I was lucky to find this one used and at a good price (less than a new one would cost me now anyway), and although it had been unboxed the previous owner had never tried to putt it together, so all the little delicate bits were intact.
The Hasbro ones are a lot cheaper, but not on a parr detail wise, but with a bit of work they can look really good.

The ROTJ luke would be a great rider for one of these I think mate.

dadrab

dadrab
Thank you for the detailed review, scalawag.

I've always really liked those and have been tempted on several occasions. However, as I don't own a single other Star Wars piece (not condemning, just never collected them), it would look pretty damn out of place, me thinks.

Still, very cool.

scalawag

scalawag
dadrab wrote:Thank you for the detailed review, scalawag.

I've always really liked those and have been tempted on several occasions. However, as I don't own a single other Star Wars piece (not condemning, just never collected them), it would look pretty damn out of place, me thinks.

Still, very cool.

They are very cool mate, and its difficult to do justice to the model in photos. You should get one you know, it wouldn't matter that you don't have other Star Wars characters in your collection, this stand s well on its own as an interesting and intricate model. But I guess I would say that lol Laughing Laughing Laughing

scalawag

scalawag
I just found some side by side pics of this bike and the Hasbro one that I took.  The left is sideshow, the right the Hasbro one.  They give you some idea of the differences between the two.
You can also see the different stand which the Hasbro one has.

speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout RlmooE6
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout LD6eZ1N
speederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout AA6wsMQspeederbike - SideShow Star Wars Speeder Bike and Biker Scout De6A1Ch

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for posting this mini-review and the beautiful photos, Paul. And the timing is pretty good, for the very reasons you specified. The bike is a little masterpiece, but at Sideshow prices even with the re-release I am a bit dubious about getting it. If the proportions were perfect, I would have talked myself into it already. So this one's short, fine, and expensive, the other wide, less refined, and much cheaper (if still available)... ah, the freedom of choices.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What I wonder is the size difference between the "old" Sideshow version to the one that's currently on PO. I wonder if, like Jabba, it's actually a bit more in scale.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:What I wonder is the size difference between the "old" Sideshow version to the one that's currently on PO. I wonder if, like Jabba, it's actually a bit more in scale.

What makes you think that there is any difference in scale between the two bikes? I don't know whether there is one, but just curious. Also wasn't aware there is a difference between their Jabbas in scale -- though there is certainly plenty of difference between the two in the level of detail and amount of features (advantage new product). But even if there is a difference between the Jabbas, that doesn't mean there is one between the bikes. Or did I miss something?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
As far as the bike, it's just an assumption on my part if they changed it. But they did change Jabba. If you watch the video that they did on their Sideshow Live, for a couple minutes they had both of them side by side, and the new one is indeed bigger, closer to scale (whether it's accurate to scale, only the die-hards would know for sure). That's what made me wonder, since they seem to be "updating" quite a few figures, if the scale was an update.

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for posting this mini-review and the beautiful photos, Paul. And the timing is pretty good, for the very reasons you specified. The bike is a little masterpiece, but at Sideshow prices even with the re-release I am a bit dubious about getting it. If the proportions were perfect, I would have talked myself into it already. So this one's short, fine, and expensive, the other wide, less refined, and much cheaper (if still available)... ah, the freedom of choices.

Both of these speeder bikes have their strengths and weaknesses and both are nice models in their own way.  If cost is not factored in the choice between them is really a personal preference.

It will be interesting to see if the new speeder bike is simply a re-release or if SideShow have refined it further Very Happy

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think it is simply a re-release. I was looking at it again, and it says nothing about changes in any way, which some of Sideshow's products have indicated before. Even the paint scheme appears to be the same, judging by a couple of instances I zeroed-in for comparison. And it is just as refined and striking as the original. The only difference, so far as I can tell, is that the price has increased by 10%, to $300 (before shipping).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I just checked the dimensions on the old and new version, and you’re right, Gov’na. It is just a rerelease.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I just checked the dimensions on the old and new version, and you’re right, Gov’na. It is just a rerelease.

Thank you for checking. I found the new one, but wasn't enterprising enough to find the old one and compare the dimensions. It is still a very beautiful piece -- and even though it is $330+shipping, once it is out of stock it will be even more.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah. Timewalker has it at $319.99 (free shipping w/ orders of 350 or higher). So, avoiding SS, you probably end up saving 30-45.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah. Timewalker has it at $319.99 (free shipping w/ orders of 350 or higher). So, avoiding SS, you probably end up saving 30-45.

Good to know. I just assumed it is an exclusive. Well, that helps a little. You'd still need to make up another $30 to qualify. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
In this hobby, that shouldn't be hard. I always select "Combine this order with previously placed orders", that way, they always wait until you accumulate $350 or more (assuming they can combine this.)

Oops. Just checked. This item is oversized and can't ship combined; doesn't apply for free shipping. Still, you can save at least 10 -20, since SS ALWAYS overcharges on shipping (unless you get a free shipping offer).

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great looking Speeder Bikes and photos scalawag.

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:I just checked the dimensions on the old and new version, and you’re right, Gov’na. It is just a rerelease.

Ah well, as GubenatorFan says its still a great bike.

Paul

scalawag

scalawag
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great looking Speeder Bikes and photos scalawag.

Thanks BAD WOLF, i'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Paul

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum