OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Justice League Aquaman Sixth Scale Figure REVIEW

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheReviewSpot

TheReviewSpot
He comes on the king tide — Here’s a look at the Hot Toys Justice League Aquaman Sixth Scale Figure!

https://youtu.be/BjI36oPeDP8

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the detailed review. I appreciate it, even though I picked up and already received the same figure. What you say makes a lot of sense, and there is something off about the face -- especially if you are looking at it straight on; moreover, it doesn't photograph or film very well (seems better in hand). I think part of the issue is that the face came out (or looks) too cylindrical/rectangular, if that makes any sense -- the actual head is more round/almond shaped, with more prominent cheekbones. As for the eyes, I believe the issue is that the paint job and the sculpt could not convey the actor's fairly dark and visible eyelashes, which emphasize the look and size of his eyes. I wonder if there is some minor degree of variation in the paint job from figure to figure, which might explain why I was slightly happier with mine.

For hair this long, rooted/"real" hair would have been nice, even if in certain situations it would have been a mess to deal with, whereas the sculpted hair can hold its (single) shape.

The armor/outfit is gorgeous and beautifully executed, but I still feel they could have done more to allow for better articulation -- for example, a separate piece belt could have allowed some waist articulation and improve the hip/thigh articulation. The Hot Toys overly tight pants are a recurring problem.

If I remember correctly, the Aquaman stand-alone film figure has the same head sculpt proper (don't know about the hair, etc), but the eyes are painted to look sideways.

All this might sound like nit-picking, but as you pointed out, at these prices we should be getting something better. 3D scans make sense. Better yet, how about 1/6-scale clones of the actors? Smile I mean, these things cost enough... Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
LOL, GF. ;p 

Since I don't have this one in-hand in front of me, I can't really comment on the sculpt or likeness side of things, but one thing that bothers me about this figure is the very obvious elbow joints. The suit/armour is beautifully detailed in terms of the sculpt and design, but surely there might have been some way to disguise that area? It makes it scream 'toy' in a way that, as you have said, a very pricey HT figure should not.

ETA: I realize this is probably a Hot Toys issue, rather than something particular to this figure, but still. It's very distracting. I feel like HT should try a little harder when it comes to the whole 'seamless' [or at the very least, hiding the seams] thing.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Such incredible review for this Aquaman!!!!Just hope his hair if made with nylon instead of this plastic pieces though......

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The hair is made of soft plastic. Because HT does a layered construction when it comes to mid- and long-hair sculpts, it is possible for customizers to work with or around it -- for example removing an integral neck without damaging the hair, or in this case removing the hair itself to replace with "rooted" (or really glued-on) hair, which is what I plan to do if I ever get a loose head sculpt. It looks as if there would be a pretty complete head (with ears, etc) beneath the mass of long hair enveloping it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum