OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sand Troopers (pic heavy)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

41scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Thank you for elaborating at length, Paul, I really appreciate the detail. And I know you base this on research, sample (your Shepperton helmet), and your reference book(s). Let me verify one thing, while they recreating the helmet molds for ESB and ROTJ may have introduced some minor and inadvertent differences, the basic shape remained the same, including the asymmetry, right?
I remember reading that the ear caps were attached in several different fashions, some with screws, others (to avoid the screws) were glued on.
Of course nowadays something like that would be designed with 3D models and printers, creating a much more uniform shape (as we see in RO), barring any specific differences intentionally introduced by the design team.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

42scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 01, 2018 11:39 am

scalawag

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for elaborating at length, Paul, I really appreciate the detail. And I know you base this on research, sample (your Shepperton helmet), and your reference book(s). Let me verify one thing, while they recreating the helmet molds for ESB and ROTJ may have introduced some minor and inadvertent differences, the basic shape remained the same, including the asymmetry, right?
I remember reading that the ear caps were attached in several different fashions, some with screws, others (to avoid the screws) were glued on.
Of course nowadays something like that would be designed with 3D models and printers, creating a much more uniform shape (as we see in RO), barring any specific differences intentionally introduced by the design team.

I'm glad my ramblings were helpful. Very Happy

Yes the new moulds still produced asymmetrical helmets.
One of the most noticeable differences is in the shape of the dome on the ROTJ helmets. They look slightly taller and narrower, because the piece used to make the mould was squeezed a bit from each side when the mould was made.
The plastics used were quite different from what we have available today and were very flexible and quite soft so they move all over the place when you start applying pressure to them.

All the ear caps on the ANH helmets where attached with machine screws and nuts, and in fact I don't think there is any glue used on ANH helmets at all. Even the lenses on them are held in with scotch tape on the back. The stunt lenses are just pieces of green lighting filter film taped over the holes.
The ESB helmets had a mix of screws and glue used on different helmets because some were ANH helmets which were refurbished. I believe all the ROTJ helmets are constructed mainly with glue.

Yeah things are very different now lol. I believe Andrew Ainsworth moulded and finished all the storm trooper costumes, the rebel pilot helmets and some other pieces as well for ANH by hand with a team of 2-3 people helping him. Amazing really Very Happy

Paul

43scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
scalawag wrote:I would like to pick up the ones I don't have yet at some point, especially the Corporal, but the prices will have to be right too as I already have 3 Sand Troopers lol. Laughing Laughing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sideshow-Collectibles-EXCLUSIVE-Star-Wars-Sandtrooper-Corporal-1-6-Scale-Figure/312066965122?epid=1700121343&hash=item48a8a3fe82:g:j0MAAOSwBp9ag2ck

44scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

scalawag

Stryker2011 wrote:
scalawag wrote:I would like to pick up the ones I don't have yet at some point, especially the Corporal, but the prices will have to be right too as I already have 3 Sand Troopers lol. Laughing Laughing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sideshow-Collectibles-EXCLUSIVE-Star-Wars-Sandtrooper-Corporal-1-6-Scale-Figure/312066965122?epid=1700121343&hash=item48a8a3fe82:g:j0MAAOSwBp9ag2ck

Thanks mate I will take a look

45scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That was educational. I'll come to you guys when I need Star Wars tips!

I always found it ironic that the best matches for Rebel colours are all WW2 German colours and the Imperial ones are US.

CHEERS!

46scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 am

scalawag

scalawag
Rogerbee wrote:That was educational. I'll come to you guys when I need Star Wars tips!

I always found it ironic that the best matches for Rebel colours are all WW2 German colours and the Imperial ones are US.

CHEERS!

I'm glad you found it interesting Rogerbee Wink

Yeah there is a certain irony to the colour choices Laughing Laughing   I have always smiled at the idea of bad guys dressed in white armour too. Shocked its a fantastic cinematic concept.

Paul

47scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

If you look in the new Tamiya mag, there's a company that are doing replicas of the original Floquil paints that ILM used. They're enamels though. This guy does at least do acrylics, never tried them yet though: http://www.starwars-doa.co.uk/

Might be worth a crack someday

CHEERS!

48scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 10:37 am

scalawag

scalawag
Rogerbee wrote:
If you look in the new Tamiya mag, there's a company that are doing replicas of the original Floquil paints that ILM used. They're enamels though. This guy does at least do acrylics, never tried them yet though: http://www.starwars-doa.co.uk/

Might be worth a crack someday

CHEERS!

Ooh. Those look nice. I can feel more spending coming on Laughing Laughing Laughing

49scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Nice set of Sand Troopers! Ironically the only Sand Trooper I have on display is the only ANH one you don't seem to have, the SSC Orange pauldron 'leader' with the water cooled Lewis gun or was it Vickers? Anyway, the others are Hasbro so stored away if not cannibalised yet...

50scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm

scalawag

scalawag
shovelchop81 wrote:Nice set of Sand Troopers! Ironically the only Sand Trooper I have on display is the only ANH one you don't seem to have, the SSC Orange pauldron 'leader' with the water cooled Lewis gun or was it Vickers? Anyway, the others are Hasbro so stored away if not cannibalised yet...

Yeah its the Lewis gun type blaster that comes with that one with the orange pauldron. I don't have that one, or the "Corporal" with the black pauldron either yet. Stryker very kindly put me onto a Sand Trooper corporal in this thread which I am thinking about getting right now.

I'm glad you like these, and I think you should get your sand troopers back out mate, show them off!!!

Paul

51scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Didn’t HT tease a new Sandtrooper Sergeant a couple years ago? Whatever happened to that?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 C8485110

52scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Didn’t HT tease a new Sandtrooper Sergeant a couple years ago? Whatever happened to that?

I can't say definitively that they didn't, but I don't recall one.

Paul

UPDATE

Having done a bit of looking around it appears that there was a Hot Toys Sand Trooper Sergeant on the SideShow stand at a show a few years ago.  It looks basically like the HT Squad Leader but with a white pauldron and a different blaster rifle.  It was displayed on the same base as the squad leader too, and I believe SideShow were showing it as they were to be the sole distributer.  It had a hand holding a metal ring like the trooper in the movie that says "look sir, droids" when they discover the crashed escape pod which would have been really cool.  Sadly there is no indication that it was ever shown more than once at promotional shows, and I don't think it was ever released.

scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 8dYTRFx

Paul

53scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well... I blame you, Paul. It’s all your fault.

I broke down and bought the Sideshow Squad Leader off eBay just a bit ago, I like the look of that guy with his orange pauldron. Probably shouldn’t have, but at least one Stormie (Sand or other), seems appropriate.

54scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 6:24 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Well... I blame you, Paul. It’s all your fault.

I broke down and bought the Sideshow Squad Leader off eBay just a bit ago, I like the look of that guy with his orange pauldron. Probably shouldn’t have, but at least one Stormie (Sand or other), seems appropriate.

Hee Hee!!!  Gotcha Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

He is a great looking figure mate and I am sure you will love him when he arrives.  If you are only going to have 1 stormtrooper then what better than a Sand Trooper Cool Cool  

BUT will ya stop at one? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Paul

55scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:BUT will ya stop at one? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Paul

STOP your evil Dark Side Mind Tricks! Evil or Very Mad

I have to stop at one. Too many other things coming up. But, yeah. I think I’ll like this one. He looks cool.

56scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 pm

scalawag

scalawag
These are the figures you are looking for!! lol Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

57scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Thu May 03, 2018 2:49 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
What's up with the brow on that HT Sandtrooper helmet? It looks really weird! Just thinking, the older Hasbro stormies are a similar size to the Bandai, could there be sandtooper bits you could pinch to put on the Bandai!?

CHEERS!

58scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Thu May 03, 2018 3:33 am

scalawag

scalawag
Rogerbee wrote:What's up with the brow on that HT Sandtrooper helmet? It looks really weird! Just thinking, the older Hasbro stormies are a similar size to the Bandai, could there be sandtooper bits you could pinch to put on the Bandai!?

CHEERS!

Yeah I see what you mean mate, it does look strange. It is raised up off the face plate like the HT squad leader one which makes it look more curved, but it also has a little kink or bump in the middle which seems to accentuate the curve. It is interesting as it does raise the possibility that this is a new headsculpt, and not the Squad Leader one reused as I suspected.
The Hasbro stormtrooper bits is an interesting idea, and worth looking in to.

Paul

59scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Received my Sand Trooper Squad Leader today. Awesome looking figure. I'll put him together later and maybe post a pic if Paul doesn't mind (don't want to hijack his thread).

60scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon May 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well... here's my one quick pic. Really digging this guy.

scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 _dsc2720

61scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 am

scalawag

scalawag
I don't mind at all mate post away. He does look fantastic, I'm still on the fence about getting the corporal as I just spent out on my 1-1 suit, but this is swaying me toward it again.
If I might suggest, the thigh armour needs pushing up the leg just a little bit, so you can see slightly more black at the knees.
I do love these guys.

Paul

62scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ah. Cool. Thanks for the tip.

63scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice acquisition, Stryker, he looks great, and I would say a fine addition to your SW collection.

Paul, did you just confess to getting the 1:1 armor? I hope we get to see plenty of that (remember, as long as you're holding 1:6 troopers etc in your hands while posing in it, it would be totally appropriate here). Wink

I can't decide whether it is good or bad how we are enabling each other with our posts. Smile

64scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
He does look rather good!

CHEERS!

65scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice acquisition, Stryker, he looks great, and I would say a fine addition to your SW collection.

Paul, did you just confess to getting the 1:1 armor? I hope we get to see plenty of that (remember, as long as you're holding 1:6 troopers etc in your hands while posing in it, it would be totally appropriate here). Wink

I can't decide whether it is good or bad how we are enabling each other with our posts. Smile

Well yes I did get a set of Shepperton Design Studios Battle spec armour. It arrived yesterday, so I have been busy padding the inside of the helmet so it will stay on my noggin, and a few adjustments/modifications I was advised to do. Boots and Holster arrived today, neck seal should be here by the end of the week, maybe even my first troop out on Saturday if I have everything reasonable by then.

I will have to arrange to get a friend round to take pics, as I really won't be able to in the armour lol.

Paul

66scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's going to be cool to see. (By the way, I did as suggested and moved the thigh armor up on my Sandie. Thanks.)

67scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Paul -- Congratulations. And you should invite some of our British members to come over and help out. Smile Or if you are meeting the troop anyway, I imagine there would be plenty of people who would be more than happy to help.

68scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 4:47 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:That's going to be cool to see. (By the way, I did as suggested and moved the thigh armor up on my Sandie. Thanks.)

No problem mate, I hope it was helpful. I won't promise as to when but I will get pics up here for you to see as soon as I can Very Happy

Paul

69scifi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) - Page 3 Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Tue May 08, 2018 4:51 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Paul -- Congratulations. And you should invite some of our British members to come over and help out. Smile Or if you are meeting the troop anyway, I imagine there would be plenty of people who would be more than happy to help.

Now there is an idea, I don't none which of my British OSF compatriots lives close by, but if anyone wanted to pop to see me (and my collection of course) I am sure something could be arranged.

I will sort out some pics anyway regardless, but I can't say when exactly I will be able to get some taken.

Paul

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum