OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again..

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Always wanted to build this since I saw his old Hydro Armour years ago but never did due to distractions of other builds that were more pertinent at the time. ADS is atmospheric diving suit so no narcosis or the bends etc.. the armour also prevents you from getting squashed by the insanely high pressures. This suit I'm creating could be used to explore vast depths and perform rescues for submariners even work at the base of the Mariana Trench.

The Mariana Trench or Marianas Trench[1] is located in the western Pacific Ocean about 200 kilometres (124 mi) east of the Mariana Islands, and has the deepest natural trench in the world. It is a crescent-shaped trough in the Earth's crust averaging about 2,550 km (1,580 mi) long and 69 km (43 mi) wide. The maximum known depth is 10,994 metres (36,070 ft) (± 40 metres [130 ft]) at the southern end of a small slot-shaped valley in its floor known as the Challenger Deep.[2] However, some unrepeated measurements place the deepest portion at 11,034 metres (36,201 ft).[3] By comparison: if Mount Everest were placed into the trench at this point, its peak would still be over two kilometres (1.2 mi) under water.[a]  At the bottom of the trench the water column above exerts a pressure of 1,086 bars (15,750 psi), more than 1,000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level. At this pressure, the density of water is increased by 4.96%, so that 95.27 of any unit of volume of water under the pressure of the Challenger Deep would contain the same mass as 100 of those units at the surface. The temperature at the bottom is 1 to 4 °C (34 to 39 °F).[5]  The trench is not the part of the seafloor closest to the center of the Earth. This is because the Earth is an oblate spheroid, not a perfect sphere; its radius is about 25 kilometres (16 mi) smaller at the poles than at the equator.[6] As a result, parts of the Arctic Ocean seabed are at least 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) closer to the Earth's center than the Challenger Deep seafloor.  In 2009, the Marianas Trench was established as a United States National Monument.[7] Xenophyophores have been found in the trench by Scripps Institution of Oceanography researchers at a record depth of 10.6 kilometres (6.6 mi) below the sea surface.[8] Data has also suggested that microbial life forms thrive within the trench. wrote:

JIM and WASP suits:

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Jim-suit-press-x640

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. A-jim-suit-atmospheric-diving-suit-for-deep-sea-diving-on-display-BE8D2N

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 2Q==

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 4f3b1f3c245db8b7d55f28bcff4b6cc8

Iron Man Hydro Armour:

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Shapeimage_1

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Maxresdefault

My parts for this build, I'll use the incomplete Unicron figure as a base as it's the right size and colour, has excellent ratcheted joints too; it would be great to use my KO/Hasbro Hulk Buster figures for this but I know through experience that the yellow paint would crack and peal off revealing all the red plastic sadly.

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 5LM7j4G

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. G0iUm6c

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. UOBplQw

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. SoZklnY

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. MWkWmSI

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. SctQNH2

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. ACC47Fk

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. GWfCw5H

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. UbqSgWK

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Jy63BUq

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. SKk1JnD

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. CB3pzif

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks like it should be another interesting build. Have fun.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks like it should be another interesting build. Have fun.

Cheers! I'm already 'drowning' in parts! Very Happy yes very droll I know... Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I love how you have all these pieces lying around, some just in case, some probably already with this purpose in mind -- and how you have now pre-piled them up for your upcoming custom project. I'm sure you'll be looking for plenty more in the process as you make decisions and run into any complications (hopefully, not many), but your organization/forethought always impresses me.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I love how you have all these pieces lying around, some just in case, some probably already with this purpose in mind -- and how you have now pre-piled them up for your upcoming custom project. I'm sure you'll be looking for plenty more in the process as you make decisions and run into any complications (hopefully, not many), but your organization/forethought always impresses me.

Thanks GF! I never do any sketches or plans but tend to have the build mapped out to a certain degree in my mind. For example this is not going to be a Sci-Fi nanotech suit but but based on good old school engineering and physics (well mostly as the materials used would have to be a Stark invention as otherwise he and the suit would be squashed to the size of an egg!) looks wise, so I'm going for a classic hunched look with domed face plate; basically an underwater 'Igor' suit in yellow with a clear face plate, manipulators and lots of water jet thrusters for manoeuvrability. I'm stripping down the Unicron figure right now.

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 3a79333df63338b474dddef024ef8897

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 51oTVtmle3L._SX425_

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVri8I3oeJqRgg4BwuBaHregtDcDsZ21W3OVHsZN78PQk7Lmh5

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Well an unexpected bonus of doing an under water armour is I get to use up a lot of my gaudy bright coloured parts! pirat I've been stripping back the base body and trimmed it's giant feet, I was going to remove the chest mechanism until I realised it's perfect for an Iron Man build! Right where his arc reactor is. I swapped his crotch around so he actually has one in the front (he's not Iron Eunuch), the back will be covered with plenty of gear yet to come. You can see the idea I have for the diving face shield that will cover a regular IM helmet.

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. QKXuFVX

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. GNEG9r9

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. NhFpz5Q

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. KhwemgI

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. GXcRaEw

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Hin1Yhw

Some of the removed parts that involved total disassembly of the figure:

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. LK30cTs

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. ATZ5wqi

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 8ZWMsFy

Chest mechanism geared and spring loaded:

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Z4D5XAL

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. QyrvbGK

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. WFLCQQh

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. WleIRrv

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. DulUZu6

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. MoC4Qnj

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. GpDlZ5J

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Ln5olz0

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. KT3qrbG

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. TmA38Ta

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting approach. Will his arms go inside the “suit” arms, or will the controls be inside the body cavity?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting approach. Will his arms go inside the “suit” arms, or will the controls be inside the body cavity?

Hadn't really thought about it to be honest, heck he's got a giant telescoping mechanism where his chest should be so he's already dead!! Twisted Evil What a Face With the added backpack gear and him being hunched as he pilots the suit should allow for the chest mechanism and let him control the arms with his hands reaching the suit's elbows just like on my Punisher MECH build (not the Punisher War Machine build I just did, the much bigger one).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Speaking of gaudy colors, once he's ready, you should deploy him to a coral reef. Smile

Ovy

Ovy
The Mariana Trench has been my favourite deep sea trench since my dad showed me that documentary when I was little. But I don't know that many other deep sea trenches to be honest.

I like your less nanotech/more engineering approach. Looking forward for another couple of Shovelian WIP days.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Speaking of gaudy colors, once he's ready, you should deploy him to a coral reef. Smile

I think he would accidentally break everything and be more of a hazard in this suit! Better off with flippers and a snorkel!  Wink

Ovy wrote:The Mariana Trench has been my favourite deep sea trench since my dad showed me that documentary when I was little. But I don't know that many other deep sea trenches to be honest.

I like your less nanotech/more engineering approach. Looking forward for another couple of Shovelian WIP days.

Cheers Ovy! I don't know any other trenches either LOL.

I've been chopping some stuff up and getting a good idea of where things need to go like his backpack and manipulators/tools. I think his chest gimmick will be an arc reactor powered plasma drill for exploratory excavation and core sampling, perhaps as a tool to help rescue or environmental operations? I'm kind of lost without a Gatling gun!! Laughing I just remembered, when I went to my local gun stores as a kid one of them had a sort of Gatling speargun that could either shoot .22 rounds or use .22 blanks to fire spears underwater! It had around eight barrels and you would turn it each time to the next barrel and repeat until you were out of spears, I know it was his pride and joy, refused to sell it to me!LOL, no idea who made it but it would be a cool weapon for this build!

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. Zdojo4R

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. IDYMBvk

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. NJSKjDq

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. HitkqjQ

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. HVxa0Kd

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. YKa7ICe

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. VxglSSX

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. 54X4snJ

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting. That spear gun sounds cool — never saw anything like that with the revolving barrels.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting. That spear gun sounds cool — never saw anything like that with the revolving barrels.

It was something like this but with more barrels, must have been custom made.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool video. Man that thing was sweet.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Cool video. Man that thing was sweet.

Here are some more videos on ADS's as I've been up doing research on them since 6am to see if there any things I needed to know for the build, they're all very short vids. The first three are the most pertinent to this build but there's a playlist of some really old ones (suits and film B/W,1920's etc...) below those; enjoy! Wink

Playlist:

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting videos, Alex. Thanks for sharing. In that last one, they show that 1700s diving bell for two people to sit in — i read a book that came out several years ago that used such a device in a story set during the age of Pirates.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I, too, loved the 1939 Going Down video. Something tells me that as cheesy as it is, it is far more informative, interesting, and classier, than anything bearing this title would be today. Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting videos, Alex. Thanks for sharing. In that last one, they show that 1700s diving bell for two people to sit in — i read a book that came out several years ago hat used such a device in a story set during the age of Pirates.

Glad you enjoyed them! Well the 1700's would fit with pirate stories. They even had diving gear in the middle ages, a leather hood with glass eyepieces and a hose to the top with bellows, mostly used in calm rivers and ports I think. There are records of even earlier bell helmet type systems across the world.

I ordered these used figures/parts to help with the build, I think tracks on his feet would be cool and useful with the crazy pressure limiting body movement, also might be quite sticky on the ocean floor in places.

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. EUT8CTy

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. B8DWdpD

Deep Sea Diving Suit For Iron Man Started WIP. Back On It Again.. LntkJjx

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I, too, loved the 1939 Going Down video. Something tells me that as cheesy as it is, it is far more informative, interesting, and classier, than anything bearing this title would be today. Wink

LOL, depends on your mood at the time I would guess! Wink lol!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:LOL, depends on your mood at the time I would guess! Wink lol!

Oh God, stop giving me ideas! There is only so much I could show in Part III of A New Superhero Revealed? on here...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum