OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets be a bit philosophical, shall we?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

451 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Tjolnir

interesting idea about competition and "incentives" . i chose 1/6 figures as a means to make my virtual hobby come to life. my very first figure was a 1/6 dragon german machine gunner(the name eludes me right now) but it was meant as a battlefield 1942 mascot when out on lan parties well, competing. even thought about case modding him into my pc but once i held the figure in hands i couldn't bring myself cutting him apart (was supposed to look like a tank hatch on top of my pc case). instead i thought about giving him a proper backdrop in my shelf, sandbags, barbed wire obstacles and all.

over the years i found some kind of relaxation when working on my figures / dioramas, something that wasn't tied to achieving a particular goal or placing 1st in a tournament rather than putting my mind at ease, kinda focusing without a definite goal in mind. similar to an open road with lots possible outcomes.

in everyday life, most results are forced upon you for the money's sake. then there's results that you put upon yourself, been there done that. for 2 years i trained, ate and slept on point to reach the goal of how i wanted my body to look. made the gym my second home and was honestly amazed that by the time people came to me for training routine questions or nutrition. up until 27 years of age my buddy kept saying i had to enter the door twice to be seen Wink so bulking up as much as i could was kind of a big deal to me.
yet no matter how much gains i put on, i wasn't satisfied even after having the obligatory "cycle". i felt great, was in the best shape of my life and still sad i was never getting the proportions of the "real guys" you see at the mr. olympia.
but somewhere along the way it "clicked", that in order to grow i had to mix various "supplements" and would soon hit unhealthy levels and still not be anywhere near the big guys, so i quit fighting with myself.
i still hit the gym, still admire the 250+pounds around but i came to enjoy my results as my own and try to build the best "me" instead of chasing an unreachable phantom.

so personally 1/6 isn't so much of a competition for me rather than an incentive and inspiration. i love seen stuff done i wasn't even thinking about myself even if i can't reproduce the result 1:1 due to lack of skills and/or patience. but it broadens my field of view and makes my arsenal bigger next time i try something new.

right now my first and foremost pastime is gaming and let me tell you, being toxic at any possible confrontation is the norm not the exception for your every move is recorded as statistics. how many kills per deathm points per minute and so and so forth. it keeps you on your toes but burns you out just the same for you don't want to be on the lower end of the score list.
so basically my best from today has to be the norm for tomorrow. only at some point you can't improve any further linearly and that's where frustration hits you, thus the toxicity.

so all i'm saying is i'm thankful having found a hobby where the results only ever matter to me and every external influence is an inspiration rather than a challenge to the death Wink

cheers and thanks for the food for thought

461 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm

shazzdan

Stryker2011 wrote:
shazzdan wrote:I started making my own stuff because I'm cheap! It costs less to make one than to buy a commercial version. I don't even like buying materials; I'll try to scavenge everything for free. My main ongoing expenses are glue and paint. It's actually a pretty inexpensive hobby if you stay away from buying boxed figures.

Laughing I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

All inventors are lazy at heart. The underlying desire is to create a device that can help them do less work.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

471 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:All inventors are lazy at heart. The underlying desire is to create a device that can help them do less work.

Didn't someone (other than me) say that laziness is the mother of invention? Well, if they didn't, they should have. Smile

481 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Tjolnir wrote:yet no matter how much gains i put on, i wasn't satisfied even after having the obligatory "cycle". i felt great, was in the best shape of my life and still sad i was never getting the proportions of the "real guys" you see at the mr. olympia.
but somewhere along the way it "clicked", that in order to grow i had to mix various "supplements" and would soon hit unhealthy levels and still not be anywhere near the big guys, so i quit fighting with myself.

You have to go right back to the early 1950s to see what a professional body builder physique looks like without steroid augmentation. The Soviets had a deliberate policy of steroid injections for all their athletes since the 1940s. It is physiologically impossible to get the kind of physiques we see today without steroids and other supplements. Anyone in the sport who claims to have never taken steroids is blatantly lying because they have been endemic since the 60s. Here are the 1953 Mr. Universe finalists.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-15113-1354215658-8

Look carefully and you'll see a young Sean Connery in the middle.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-23030-1354215616-0

491 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:23 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:
Tjolnir wrote:yet no matter how much gains i put on, i wasn't satisfied even after having the obligatory "cycle". i felt great, was in the best shape of my life and still sad i was never getting the proportions of the "real guys" you see at the mr. olympia.

You have to go right back to the early 1950s to see what a professional body builder physique looks like without steroid augmentation. The Soviets had a deliberate policy of steroid injections for all their athletes since the 1940s. It is physiologically impossible to get the kind of physiques we see today without steroids and other supplements. Anyone in the sport who claims that they have never taken steroids is blatantly lying because they have been endemic since the 60s. Here are the 1953 Mr. Universe finalists.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-15113-1354215658-8

Look carefully and you'll see a young Sean Connery in the middle.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-23030-1354215616-0

Ironic isn't it, that in those days, he had his real hair on his head but had to shave the hair off his chest, whereas by the time of the James Bond films, he could show off all the chest hair he wanted, but had to wear a hair piece because he was already balding rapidly.

501 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ok... that is the first and only time I have ever found Sean Connery remotely attractive. Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

511 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
skywalkersaga wrote:Ok... that is the first and only time I have ever found Sean Connery remotely attractive. Laughing

Now you see why he was selected to play Bond. He was only a passable actor and he could barely speak English. He was chosen purely for his looks.

521 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:Ok... that is the first and only time I have ever found Sean Connery remotely attractive. Laughing

Odd, given how many years running he was voted sexiest man alive when already in his sixties.

531 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:11 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Some things are inexplicable... ;p

541 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:35 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:

Now you see why he was selected to play Bond. He was only a passable actor and he could barely speak English. He was chosen purely for his looks.

And yet Ian Fleming was so impressed with Connery in the role of Bond that he re-wrote the character in his later novels to make him half Scottish, half Swiss.

551 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

And yet Ian Fleming was so impressed with Connery in the role of Bond that he re-wrote the character in his later novels to make him half Scottish, half Swiss.  

Only after Connery received intensive lessons in elocution, deportment, and acting. Fleming initially thought he was an uncouth brute entirely unsuited for the role.

561 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

Only after Connery received intensive lessons in elocution, deportment, and acting. Fleming initially thought he was an uncouth brute entirely unsuited for the role.

Interesting.  I did not know that. Still, whoever taught him must have done a good job as Connery as Bond is #3 on the American Film Institute list of movie heroes, behind Harrison Ford / Indiana Jones (#2) and Gregory Peck / Atticus Finch (#1)

571 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:

Thanks for explaining! I wasn't aware of the particulars of the garage kit history, but I appreciate the info. And apologies if I was mistaken in calling them 'statues' -- what term do you prefer? Just 'figures'? And yes, of course, the painting skills are most certainly an area of overlap -- when I referred to the differences, I meant mostly in regard to the fact that action figures tend to require clothing and accessories to be complete, whereas I am guessing all of that is usually sculpted in a garage kit? Again, I was certainly not implying one hobby was better than the other,  but just saying that from my very inexperienced perspective, it didn't seem that they were 100% comparable. 

And I love watching Darren Carnall's painting videos!  I love you

We still call them kits. Incidentally Darren did actually do a series of videos in which he built and painted a garage kit of Clint Eastwood. This was right up my alley! He showed the amount of detail you can add to a kit simply by painting it the right way. The end result was pretty spectacular:

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 IBVYtdp

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 L9G0QPC

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 T5dgrn8

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 26LhLTV

Believe it or not, that holster is not real leather, but, it was painted to look like it. What you get out of a garage kit is often determined by what you put into it, and as you can see, if you want it to be, that can be a LOT!

581 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

He looks a bit like my Dad in that second pic!

591 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:02 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
don't get me wrong, "supplements" was just an euphemism for stuff like winstrol, dianabol, sustanol and such. its a long list and with the dosages required in a professional regime, quite an unhealthy one. arguably andreas muenzer was the most shredded competitor yet he died with 36 years of age. his autopsy showed his liver to be half cancerous and half styrofoam like.
mike matarazzo died with i think some 40 years, was known for some of the if not the best calves on stage.
and ronnie coleman sits partially in a wheelchair, the other time he needs some walking support. cheerful as always and very likable, his only regrets was not doing 4 reps with 800 pound squats Wink

it might sound weird but i'm fine with steroids being used to push beyond the physically possible, part of that belief is that every adult should do whatever he wants with his body, as long as he's aware of the consequences. and those consequences were what kept me from going on a second cycle for i had to up the dosage for the body to respond in the same fashion.
so you might say i quite enjoy today's physique in the olympia minus the bubble gut, which is a byproduct of growth hormones, basically "everything" well, grows.
and in my book markus ruehl definitely deserved the title at least once in his career.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 687474703a2f2f7777772e626f64796275696c64696e672e636f6d2f66756e2f6269672f323030346f6c795f69616e5f6d726f33332e6a7067
coleman on the left, ruehl on the right(theyear this picture was taken, his form was clearly better than ruehls i must admit)

i wish phicen would bring out a body to match these guys, even the m35 would look skinny in comparison Wink

so yeah comparing the guys from the "silver" age of bodybuilding with the golden like arnold, ferrigno and oliva shows just the huge gap as when dorian yates hit the stage and dominated everyone with sheer mass.
accordingly you can see the progress of substances with dianabol being available i think in the late 50s early 60s, testosterone anyway being synthesized in ww2 and later the stuff that gave us kai greene and phil heath.

for those interested, leroy colbert(sadly deceased, died a few years ago) had a wonderful youtube channel with a lot of insights and valuable tips, which is still active by the way.
he stemmed from the age of bodybuilding where very few stuff was around and had some of the best arms of the time.

one might not like the look of today's pro athletes, personally though i prefer the mass monsters.
cheers

oh by the way, thats some awesome eastwood, the level of detail is amazing.

601 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for sharing that, Roger! It’s absolutely gorgeous, though I would expect no less from Mr. Carnall. And thanks also for the clarification — ‘kits’ it is, then. Smile

611 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Rogerbee wrote:We still call them kits. Incidentally Darren did actually do a series of videos in which he built and painted a garage kit of Clint Eastwood. This was right up my alley! He showed the amount of detail you can add to a kit simply by painting it the right way. The end result was pretty spectacular

That's a gorgeous paintjob. I could paint a little when I was younger but wouldn't even attempt it these days. My hands shake and my eyes aren't sharp enough to deal with the finer details.

621 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:don't get me wrong, "supplements" was just an euphemism for stuff like winstrol, dianabol, sustanol and such. its a long list and with the dosages required in a professional regime, quite an unhealthy one. arguably andreas muenzer was the most shredded competitor yet he died with 36 years of age. his autopsy showed his liver to be half cancerous and half styrofoam like.
mike matarazzo died with i think some 40 years, was known for some of the if not the best calves on stage.
and ronnie coleman sits partially in a wheelchair, the other time he needs some walking support. cheerful as always and very likable, his only regrets was not doing 4 reps with 800 pound squats Wink

it might sound weird but i'm fine with steroids being used to push beyond the physically possible, part of that belief is that every adult should do whatever he wants with his body, as long as he's aware of the consequences. and those consequences were what kept me from going on a second cycle for i had to up the dosage for the body to respond in the same fashion.
so you might say i quite enjoy today's physique in the olympia minus the bubble gut, which is a byproduct of growth hormones, basically "everything" well, grows.
and in my book markus ruehl definitely deserved the title at least once in his career.

coleman on the left, ruehl on the right(theyear this picture was taken, his form was clearly better than ruehls i must admit)

i wish phicen would bring out a body to match these guys, even the m35 would look skinny in comparison Wink

so yeah comparing the guys from the "silver" age of bodybuilding with the golden like arnold, ferrigno and oliva shows just the huge gap as when dorian yates hit the stage and dominated everyone with sheer mass.
accordingly you can see the progress of substances with dianabol being available i think in the late 50s early 60s, testosterone anyway being synthesized in ww2 and later the stuff that gave us kai greene and phil heath.

for those interested, leroy colbert(sadly deceased, died a few years ago) had a wonderful youtube channel with a lot of insights and valuable tips, which is still active by the way.
he stemmed from the age of bodybuilding where very few stuff was around and had some of the best arms of the time.

one might not like the look of today's pro athletes, personally though i prefer the mass monsters.
cheers

oh by the way, thats some awesome eastwood, the level of detail is amazing.

Those guys are crazy!

I guess, with the amount of money they make, they can afford to get their clothes custom made. Their necks alone look thicker than both my thighs put together.

631 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing that, Roger! It’s absolutely gorgeous,  though I would expect no less from Mr. Carnall. And thanks also for the clarification — ‘kits’ it is, then. Smile

Yeah, I doubt I'll be as good as him when I get going again, but, I'll give it my best shot. This Regan was the last thing I finished I think:

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 W2UPIkk

641 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:

That's a gorgeous paintjob. I could paint a little when I was younger but wouldn't even attempt it these days. My hands shake and my eyes aren't sharp enough to deal with the finer details.

I hear you, I haven't tackled anything since I've needed to wear glasses, so, I'll see how I go....

651 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The Eastwood kit is amazing, and great job on the Regan.

As for the body types, it would be beneficial if TBLeague does offer more types, colors, and sizes/heights. Personally, I'd rather see more average and more "silver age" offerings, as I think they will be applicable to a much larger set of purposes and historical eras.

661 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:The Eastwood kit is amazing, and great job on the Regan.

As for the body types, it would be beneficial if TBLeague does offer more types, colors, and sizes/heights. Personally, I'd rather see more average and more "silver age" offerings, as I think they will be applicable to a much larger set of purposes and historical eras.

Totally agree.  TBLeague would do well to put out more average type male bodies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum