OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

MerylAkiba

Link to Part 1
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1458-jiaou-european-female-body-review-detachable-feet-versions-bs-01ps-nsfw?highlight=Jiaou

I'll try not to Myra Loy this... So on the first image both the Wonder Woman heads from Hot toys are the same color. However, due to the natural lighting (taken at 1141HR Pacific Time)  The heads appear to match based on the angle of the head facing the light, which is coming from above. This way if you are doing photo shoots outside, at certain directions, the head and body will match
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review S6so7j7

The BS-01 is 09f Jiaou, the middle is a New Suntan Fighter Woman body, last is a KT-004 Jiaou 10E, slight color difference

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review QTxAlBt

Pretty much the majority of TBLeague heads will match the Kt004 10E body.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review LdHuX8k

I had practically nothing to match the BM, NOTHING. Oddly, the old Phicen 02 match very well, the DamToys IDF head matched slightly,

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review ZtnCqLZ
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review TMirj4u
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Ev15Npp

The PS will appear grey with a Old Phicen head attach. Notice the heads appear brighter, yet still match due to the airbrush style on the bottom of the chin and jawline.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Qu4x5UV
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review 2JlhvNV
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Ge5FRV6
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review RtwfCtj
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review DRdN97p
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review LXt0aKp
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review QM3DJGK
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review GHbVnE6

The really odd match was the Tricity head, Which is a New Suntan, matches more than the others. On further inspection (sorry I don't have a macro lens), The head is airbrushed underneath the chin and cheeks a shade darker than the head sculpt base plastic color (New Suntan). Her cheeks have a rosy color blending. The head is also painted with the small speckle dots, akin to Hot Toys heads, making the blend to the head and body match perfectly
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review IoX8mse

I'll finish Tomorrow, I forgot to do the YS heads and lighting

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the detailed info and comparisons. While this body is not quite my thing (if it had smaller bust, it would be!), I still find your observations about the paint jobs on the heads and skintone matching very interesting.

You also have an awesome collection of headsculpts! I can place many of them, but a few are new to me. One in particular I’m curious about is the blonde one with the mid-length curly hair — which sculpt is that?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

MerylAkiba

skywalkersaga wrote: I’m curious about is the blonde one with the mid-length curly hair — which sculpt is that?

Morning!

It is Wilma Deering PL2014-49.  I just realize I forgot to do Sheena and Cowgirl.

I'll also do a decal tattoo and powder test eventually. I also need to show the option of the hip joint, which can make the leg shift out on the sides, making the figure have wider hips.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
MerylAkiba wrote:

It is Wilma Deering PL2014-49.  I just realize I forgot to do Sheena and Cowgirl.

I'll also do a decal tattoo and powder test eventually. I also need to show the option of the hip joint, which can make the leg shift out on the sides, making the figure have wider hips.

Thanks so much for the info! 

And oh wow, that's a really neat feature...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the review. Informative and nicely presented. And a great collection of head sculpts!

MerylAkiba

10E YS Body Jiaou American/European  

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review WZdkHAB

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Kpw9Lk6

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review DrsYVBB

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review CPKDThn

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review 7E1bRTT

I lost the inside peg which secures the head to the body peg

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Mzw5lY1

SuperDuck (Kainé)
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Yyu0Lpq

The color difference between New Suntan and YS (TBLeague Pale)

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review DRNJZdq

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review NPagjOf

Notice how the feet share a green square

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review WF1WuCH

A green square for each foot.
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review AGipFZv

Notice how you can adjust the shoulder joints to slump down or make them broad. On the hips, the same concept of joints, but by lifting the joint up, the legs are more spaced in the crotch. Both legs are straight.The height shortens down to what is akin to 1 peg joint. When this happens, the hips appear wide. A great example would be If you have the Tbleague/ Phicen box or instruction manual, Notice the ball-to-ball joint illustration on the hips.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review P1KDSsN

MerylAkiba

I like to think of the large 10E body as akin to the Sideshow Clone Wars Trooper or Hot toys TFA trooper base bodies. Skinny arms and legs, but a wide chest and flat back. Unlike a smaller frame, the armor won't rattle around. No foam pieces are required to make the armor snug. The armor stays in position. It kind of reminds me of Fallout 4 Sturdy Combat armor sans ammo pouch and canteen
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review AFZpQVV

to be continued..

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review ZF3TTr7

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice matches and cool practical application with the armor.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Interesting stuff! Especially the adjustable hips...

MerylAkiba

Before I continue, I am using a lighting method to contrast the head sculpt from the body. My phone keeps blending the two. The Cover (highlighted red in the area) could be a cover, a shoebox, a rolled sweater, anything so long as to block the light from that particular area of the figure. This helps to show the color contrast on the phone. What is interesting is with the right application of make-up to the body could make the body match.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review E3CXbxZ

More Comparisons
BM Body. Triad Toys Jade Van Helsing

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review BpgDAF8

BM Body. First Edition Deluxe Collectible Figure  FlirtyGirl 001

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review PCfQ8tS

Bm Body. Tan Phicen 2014-S05 Head. The head shares the same color as the old FlirtyGirl 001.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review KUVhkvM

So, while experimenting with watercolors and soft pastels on the BS-01 9F ( The feet are neat, but it can't stand), I thought I should try to see how it can handle harsher soaps and cleaning liquids. I tried shu uemura, which is a make-up remover and cleanser. Then I notice flaking. So I tried shampoo, and...

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review SA8pfw3

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review 3KspUw8

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review 224U26f

What was interesting was I could not find an article anywhere on how to repair the peeling and flaking. Apparently, since this is a TPE figure I had to read on repairs on larger TPE "figures."

It wasn't that bad. One forum, I can't direct here due to graphic nature, describes how the molecules in the plastic break down. TPE has oils. The oils allow the figure to be 'jiggly.'  When dried completely, which I did, I absorbed some of the surface oils out, creating the figure to peel.

This means I could repair a Jiaou figure in the same manner as a real size figure. This process requires mineral oils, q-tips, and tape to remove the excess "dead skin." Their is a video on it but I can't link.

You have to dip the q-tip in the mineral oil (available at Walgreens) and apply it akin to combing down. Lift away, comb down, lift away, comb down. Do not rub back and forth.. Work in small areas patiently, not the entire figure all at once. It will dry. Use tape to remove the peeled skin, and you are done.

I did not work in small areas and I lathered the whole figure with my thumb pressing down. I'm waiting for the results.

MerylAkiba

I forgot to mention that the soap that I use which caused the blistering was  Selsun Blue, because I thought the Selenium sulfide would deep clean the figure. Stick with Palmolive for safety.

Using Mineral Oil (Walgreens UPC 311917154718 or 1191715471) helps by reducing the peeling a little bit. I forgot to use the packaging tape to remove the excess flakes. Even though I did not clean it properly using the step by step q-tip method, you will notice that it did remove some of the blistering. With proper procedure, the blistering will fade more.  

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Img_2212
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Img_2210
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Img_2211

This has concluded the review of the Jiaou European 3.0 product. Using analysis, my main concern:

Jiaou needs to stop using either improper Industrial Studio lighting or Photoshop to manipulate the body to appear darker. In the photo below, KT-004 JOQ-07F looks Chocolate instead of TBL New Suntan, causing confusion.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review Joq-0710

Everyone, please use this long post as a guide in selecting which bodies to get for the heads you want. I'm not done experimenting on the Jiaou or on TBleague. I mention make-up several times. At Hobby Lobby and Michaels, their is a section that specializes on applying make-up to art drawings. Also Sephora has so much shades of brown to peach. I'll get into that down the road.

I mention that ShuUemara (SU)is THE best way to clean a TBLeague figure, but it is $75.00. It is a make-up remover that is water-based and a little drop goes a long way. I used it to clean a Pale TBL that I applied pastel green chalk on for an ogre bash but since I only have 2 Pale TBL bodies, I cleaned it with the SU for the Jem/Hybrid 80s project. still working on that.

Their will be alot of experimenting or forensic work with cleaning solutions. I guess in conclusion, There will be more research down the road with TBLeague and Jiaou. Once in a while when I come across a new head sculpt I'll post it here for future TBL and Jiaou body comparison.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the tips (even without q-tips) Smile I think you will be our Jiaou expert.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Thanks for the extensive reviews! Jiaou labels are driving me crazy!
Is YS same as PS? Same as YM?
Post#1, 1st pic, rightmost has YS label
Post#1, 7th pic has PS label
Post#6 says YM body

MerylAkiba

rollotomasi wrote:Thanks for the extensive reviews! Jiaou labels are driving me crazy!
Is YS same as PS? Same as YM?
Post#1, 1st pic, rightmost has YS label
Post#1, 7th pic has PS label
Post#6 says YM body

Sorry, typo. I went and corrected them.  Embarassed   Thank you Very Happy

Jiaou YS (same as TBLeague Pale) is way different than PS (similar to older Phicen Suntan 2014-2016). I used color swatches that was picked from the light source above the right corner of each belly button to easily use in Photoshop or MS Paint.

Not only the labeling, but how they stated which head matched which body. There was no guideline.
According to them: BS (Wheaten), PS (Black), and BS-01 (New Wheaten) matched a Hot Toys head.

My question: Which Hot Toys Head for Which body? That's why I took photos of the heads I have available. I realize now, that I mostly did TBleague heads. I forgot to do Hot Toys, so that will come at a later date. I only have Maria Hill, BW 1,2, & 3, Leia ESB, Angelica from Pirates, Machiko, Pepper Potts, and Catwoman DKR. And still need to add VeryCOOL Alba and that Kardasian head too.

For me its:
Jiaou YS =TBL Pale
Jiaou KT-004 = TBL New Suntan

I haven't bought Wheaten (BS)yet.

MerylAkiba

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the tips (even without q-tips) Smile I think you will be our Jiaou expert.

Yay, thank you and awesome sauce!  Laughing  Very Happy  I just really wanted a guideline or a chart to share with everyone

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
MerylAkiba -- since you have such experience with these Jiaou bodies and have been doing various experiments with them, I thought I would ask your opinion on something. I would really like to colour a Jiaou body using oil pastels, but the issue is that in order to do the colouring process, one has to wash the seamless body after applying the pastels to it. I have learned recently that washing TPE with soap is partly what can cause it to dry out and flake/peel, like what is going on in some of your pictures above. The added problem with this is that even if I were to try to fix the peeling after the fact, the oil pastel colour doesn't seem to sink very far into the TPE material, so the peeling would cause streaks to appear in the colouration that would not be fixable. 

So, what I'm asking is whether you know of any way that one could possibly 'wash' the Jiaou body after applying the oil pastel to it in order to remove the pastel residue, but while avoiding using any kind of harsh soap that would cause the peeling? 

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sky, unless Meryl has a more specific suggestion, may I suggest you don't use soap when you wash the body before applying the oil pastel (water alone might be enough to remove the protective powder). Then, if you have covered everything up with oil pastel, a little bit of soap may be ok for the after-wash -- or perhaps skip the soap again. But I confess I'm speaking theoretically; I've given up trying to paint Jiaou bodies with oil pastel.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:Sky, unless Meryl has a more specific suggestion, may I suggest you don't use soap when you wash the body before applying the oil pastel (water alone might be enough to remove the protective powder). Then, if you have covered everything up with oil pastel, a little bit of soap may be ok for the after-wash -- or perhaps skip the soap again. But I confess I'm speaking theoretically; I've given up trying to paint Jiaou bodies with oil pastel.

Ah, that is a good idea. After the previous disaster, I had pretty much given up on attempting this with Jiaou bodies as well, but against my better judgement I am considering giving it one last go. Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
[quote="skywalkersaga"]
GubernatorFan wrote:Ah, that is a good idea. After the previous disaster, I had pretty much given up on attempting this with Jiaou bodies as well, but against my better judgement I am considering giving it one last go. Razz

Good luck. If you manage to not "scratch" the surface, you might be successful.

Ovy

Ovy
No experience with Jiaous, but I recently washed and repainted my tbleague rainbow people. I didn't wash after applying the pastels, as a coat of powder magically removed all of the pastel residue.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum