OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

180's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Empty 80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm

MerylAkiba

I want to get started on making aliens, or so I thought. Trying to find inspiration or get some ideas, for some reason my brain was blank.

Let me start over. I recently got Rocket GotG Vol2. Got Groot. My sister got me Starlord GotG (the first one). I missed out on Yondu, But Pre-ordered Gamora and Stan Lee. We're re-designing, building, shuffling, and Feng Shui-ing furniture so displaying has to wait. Not really digging Drax, so I'll might make my own.

Then I said to myself, "Self, why don't you make alien species to go along with your Star Wars and GotG figures!"

I binged watched the animated GotG to get ideas... .....meh. The characters I liked were Cosmo, Phyla-Vell, Titus, Wraith, Ja Kyee, Angela, the Collector, I would mention Victoria, but I'll wait for Hot Toys Valkyrie

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Giphy

Look.At.Her.

Anyway, I tried to look at concept art and alien art school drawings, I got nothing. I checked out the strategy game, Infinity the Game. I liked some ideas.

I did go to Galaxy's Edge and took a break from organizing. What an Experience! It is as if I walked onto a movie set. As a kid in the 80s and 90s, I love Disneyland, Marvel, and Star Wars. Then, I began to think why I liked GotG

Then I realized, most of what Quill had, I had as a kid in the 80s! Sure, they were hand-me-downs from an older sibling and cousins, but I still loved it all. I had electronic football. I had Skeletor. My 2nd favorite author was Shel Silverstein , 1st was Maurice Sendak

So I thought instead of looking for and studying several unfamiliar character designs, I went back to Memory Lane to dig up what I like and thought, What if I take a thing that I liked in the 80s and change it into something that would fit in both the GotG and Star Wars universe

My brain exploded with such technicolor thoughts!
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Videotogif_2017.09.08_17.08.18

So I'm going to make characters that I liked as a kid and revamp and update them into a quasi-mish-mash character to blend into the Star Wars and GotG universe. I'll probably make 3 or 6 characters, but after this, it will probably be my final kitbash project.

Can you guess some of the characters I had in mind?

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress DyJkPiR

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I actually can't identify most of those character images (I think one might be...Thundercats?). I'm a 90s kid myself. Regardless, the idea of using elements of GotG and Star Wars sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to the results!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Should be an interesting project. I like the idea of combining universes — sounds intriguing,

He who dies with the most toys wins!

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Like Mark, I don't see why not, should be fun!

Ovy

Ovy
I think a good inspiration might be the unproduced Dune movie by mad genius Alejandro Jodorkowsky.  It inspired a lot of following SciFi media, at least. Looks like a cross from many of your favourite universes, so it might help connecting them. I think a lot was taken from Jean Giraud's/Moebius Comic drawings and other Dune concepts. I would also say GotG and Thor Ragnarok got a lot of inspiration there.
H.R. Giger might have never gotten into movie business without that never filmed film, who knows.

Some character concepts.
(Yes, Salvador Dali was ready to play the Emperor.)
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress 15b3dbaa94043e7d70a1156afab8c914

MerylAkiba

Ovy, Interesting that you mentioned Thor Ragnarok. Coincidentally, I was just watching a youtube documentary on He-Man cancelled films, which talked about GotG and Thor Ragnarok.

Can you imagine a Criterion Collection version of Dune?

Stryker2011 and GubernatorFan, Oh definitely! I feel like Jack Skelington staring at that Christmas doorknob.

AlKelAstra91, you are correct, Thundercats was one of several shows I watched.

Here are some parts I am gonna use
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress BQ8HZ0i

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Nice head sculpts and helmets! Sooo I don't know if it's your intent, but now I can totally see that MJ head sculpt being given green hair and turned into a Captain Planet-esque character. lol

blackpool

blackpool
Ooooo what a super fun and intriguing idea, can't wait to see the developments!!!

About the reference board as I'm an old man I know some of these, Thundercats, Jem n the holograms, night rider, pole position, and above all the "captain power and the soldiers of the future" I was so much into that show as a kid, I had the gijoe sized figures of these guys!!!

Anyway, can't wait to see more, I can hear david hasseloff singing in the gotg end credits from here Razz

MerylAkiba

AlKelAstra91, That sounds like a cool idea, but I love that HS too much. I did duplicate the head in a mold. I make extras to experiment on painting and color blending. I was thinking, what if Peter Quill did lose in a dance off regarding a mission in the everlasting light that shines

blackpool, You are correct. On bounty hunter missions. Mj needs to bring the gift. So why not a partner-in-crime and love interest to share in the spoils. I was first thinking of Melodia from Silverhawks, Crita from He-man, then Jem. Why not a fellow vocalist with a special weapon.

Out of the 17 pics in the collage, I might ditch Dunbine. the toy is kind of like Gundam, but with insect wings and insect claw feet. From top to down starting at the upper left:
1. Battle Beast, (Fire beats wood, Wood beats water, Water beats fire)
2. Power Lord
3. Destro, I found a liquid chrome pen, it is awesome
4. Bravestarr, Quills blasters are similar to the ones Bravestarr had
5. Steelhart, SilverHawks toy box cover
6. Captain Eo shirt logo (hovering over Steelheart's hair)
7. Cheetara
8. Jem
9. Soundwave
10. Skeletor
11. Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future future future future
12. The Centurions, Power Extreme!!!
13. Dunbine, I should of thought of insectuars, or dino riders, or ma-ma-ma-ma mask.
14. Rock-1, Bionic Six toy box cover
15. Roadie, (the blue car) Pole Position. Reminds me of Koolaid, which we never had, only Capri Sun
16. Kitt, Knight Rider. The show confused me as a kid, even now. So many dopplegangers
17. Inhumanoids. This toy, mad balls, and any playset with slime my mom wouldn't let me have because grossness. Today, my nephews and nieces are making slime in class. God bless my generation

Got CatToy sets, robot parts, I'll show what I bought at joanns later. Halloween is back and so are rare fabrics by Yaya Han. They were marked 25% off today. I think their sale days are Thursday to Wednesday. I still have fabric I got from last year, so I might use it.

busy schedule this week. Even as I look at the collage and what I have, I'll probably add or subtract stuff, Maybe I might repaint the 3a WWRp Large martin Ausrepublic (dual canon) and even add a certain Cattoy mechanic as a pilot. That 3A figure reminded me of a cassette and storybook I had...

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looking forward to what sort of creatures you might come up, do know some of those characters in the list but the rest I got no clue. Also if you are looking for inspiration I recomend going to artsation and looking up whatever is in your mind, lots of great concept art and people's amazing art in there, it's great to draw inspiration from.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress 1f60e

MerylAkiba

blackpool wrote: Anyway, can't wait to see more, I can hear david hasseloff singing in the gotg end credits from here Razz

I was mostly thinking of trans-X. Heard it twice on my way and from work. Thinking back, that GOTG reminded me of a disco song, Captain Harlock!

Theboo-bomb wrote:  Also if you are looking for inspiration I recomend going to artsation and looking up whatever is in your mind, lots of great concept art and people's amazing art in there, it's great to draw inspiration from  

Thank you, I liked some of the artwork, I mostly focused on artwork by Patrick Nagel (Duran Duran Rio cover art) and Richard Amsel (Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Raiders of the Lost Ark Poster) for inspiration.

I did not know which head to get or make my own. It was either the SuperDuck set 037 or 038. 37 looked a little too bright, so I got the Poison HS from ebay from teamheiress. The hair looks dark but I can add a light pink for highlights. Head won't come until Saturday.  Sad

I either want to do the raccoon style pink, maybe a single football style on the cheek, or just copy Ziggy Stardust thunderbolt

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Poison10

While looking for fabric, I chose pieces that felt unique to the touch. I thought these color schemes would be great for My hybrid of Jem.
Their are 5 fun fabrics. the middle bubblegum pink fabric feels like a balloon texture but stretches well. The plastic one I am going to use as a visor. It has a raincoat feel. It is available in the upholstry section at Joanns, That much plastic pink cost me 75cents! The clear shower looking fabric cost me a little more, $1.98, but it stretches.

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2111

Captain EO/Space Pirate KO is wearing a old joe shirt and doll tights, which are suppose to be for those DIY American Girl style dolls, but they work for pants. The rubber scrap is going to be either a belt or used as elbow pad armor.  The hexagon fabric stretches. Has the same feel as a sock. I might add it to the sides or inner thigh and do the outer side with white pleather.

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2110

I also got three Cat Toy sets (010A, 013A, & 015A). I put them together to see what they look like. Don't know if I should review these pieces. I did not know Asuka had magnet on her boots!

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2113

I am kind of afraid to start mixing stuff. I need to dig around for scrap pieces. I was thinking of adding spawn armor pieces to Asuka Kazama (blue outfit) where her skin is exposed and painting it yellow.

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2112

The sky blue reminded me of Pole Position/ Bionic Six. She would have a vehicle similar to the monoseed in Spiral Zone. I have the "Phanom" bike from the ZC Girl Rosanna that I could disasemble. Below is what the monoseed looks like

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Spiral%2BZone%2BMonoseed%2BBox%2B01003

Sorry. I like to kit-bash in a kerfuffle. This way if I get drained on one, I could hop on another

MerylAkiba

So Long motorcycle! Cutting it was simple, which is odd because the plastic became brittle
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2114
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2213

I want to apply apoxie over the cheap foam but do not know if it will hold. Just gluing took two hours just figure the shape. Right now it looks like a Muppet No  Embarassed  Is there a guidline to applying apoxie on dollartree foam sheets? I was thinking of doing the styrene sheet waffle-grid technique but that seems like a 2 month project by itself.
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2214

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2221

I hot glued the black fabric to a wooden block and shoved the block into the monoseed (one wheel bike)
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2216

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2215

I'm thinking of making a bucket seat
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2219

I'm pretty much going through so many cat make-up tutorials just to get a basic idea. Adding light wash testors white paint, then light dry brush blue angels yellow. Prismacolor was used to indicate cheeks and laugh lines. I might use another PLLB2014-S06 head and just use make-up. It will be a new test for me
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2218
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2217

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2220

Using a Dragon Initial D pants I notice the saggy pants. I seamed cut the sides to fit, now I have to resew with pleather or the hexagon fabric. (I suck at sewing) Sad
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2115

SuperDuck Poison head! finally came. Flash was use to show her blue eyes. This will be the cyber/singer head

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2223
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Img_2222

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting work on the motorcycle. Well done. I like what you’re doing with the cat makeup. You should Google the musical Cats — that might give you some more ideas on how to do the makeup.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Both ambitious and promising, from what I can see.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Excellent work!
Is that ZC bike originally black then you spray-painted in yellow?
Aaaah it hurts seeing that cut to pieces!

Ovy

Ovy
Yay I feel the vibe you are going for I think, especially with that future disco music. The facerepaint and the yellow shoulders look good, an that bike will be one of the more compact ones I guess.

And about Dune, the concept for Leto seems to have been recycled for Thunder Thunder Thundercats.
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress 5v8653wbmhf01

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
You're really nailing the retro style from that era of scifi and animantion. And I love the pink on that Poison head. Just a perfect color for what you're doing. The bile is looking awesome. Fun seeing this all come together.

MerylAkiba

rollotomasi wrote:Excellent work!
Is that ZC bike originally black then you spray-painted in yellow?
Aaaah it hurts seeing that cut to pieces!

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Source

Ends in pig snort Laughing .

It was all matte enamel black. It was entirely held with little screws except for the inside. The engine was hot glued very sloppy and had metal weights inside. Underneath the seat was a housing unit to put 3 CR32 disc batteries, but no wires or electric lights, just hot glue and cylinder weights. The plastic seemed brittle, it might of been the paint but it is Testors Acrylic. The figure had black marks on the face and stupid me thought (in Goofy's voice) "Gawrsh!, I think dunkin that like a donut in some acetone would be swell. I'll look good as new." The only thing that stood time was the helmet and biker outfit.

So the bike was painted yellow not because of Kill Bill, but I wanted to make Brad Turner but with a yellow bike. This bike at one time was going to transform into a helicopter but the project intimidated me.

80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Mask---condor-with-brad-turner--loose--p-image-381459-grande

MerylAkiba

Ovy wrote:..

And about Dune, the concept for Leto seems to have been recycled for Thunder Thunder Thundercats.
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress 5v8653wbmhf01

Rankin/Bass, why? I... childhood memories... we......Well, At least I still have Mad Monster Party
80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress Giphy

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
It's all looking good, the 80's had so many interesting things during it's time, sadly I never got to live through it all but I remember watching VHS recordings of shows from the era thanks to my dad's passion for recording everything he could on tapes. Also poor bike! I can take a figure apart without even thinking about it but when it comes to vehicles and things like that I really have to think it twice.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 80's action figure Sci-Fi Work in progress 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum