OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I first posted this thread (actually two separate threads with a gap of nine months combined here into one) back in 2007 on SAG and 6th D. Now I'm going waayyy back in time. You might say that posting these threads was what first got me engaged in sharing with the 1/6 community, even though I had been in the hobby for a while already.

I've aggregated the posts and also added some more pics I didn't show before. Because of the length this is broken up into multiple posts. If you post a reply while I'm in the middle of getting all these posts out I may not respond until the end.

Please bear in mind that when I speak in the present tense in the posts I am referring to events in 2007-8. The project was a "great leap forward" in teaching me new skills at the time. It was also what got me into RC flying, as mentioned in another thread.

I got a serious case of "Schwimmer envy" last month before the new DML Schwimmwagen was rolled out. Believe me, I was sorely tempted to shell out the money to get it, but in the end paying $300 for a static model car was just too much, no matter how nice. So I took out my ol' 21C Schwimmwagen which had been buried in a closet for the last six years, and started thinking about what I could do to it with that kind of money. I decided I wanted to make it RC. Hey, it may be ugly, but at least it'll go! Plus with a little work maybe it won't look half bad, as many of you have demonstrated with your superb work on your own 21C Schwimmers.

With some help from the friendly folks at a local Hobbytown, I figured out that the components from a Traxxas Bandit are almost a perfect fit for the 21C Schwimmer. Of course, it has to be totally hacked apart to do that, so there's no turning back once you start!

The 21C Schwimmer is almost meant to be motorized. The cavernous spaces in the hood and the trunk that give the toy its unfortunate Dumbo shape, the incredibly durable plastic, the ugly but tough and true-spinning monster truck tires, the fact that the whole thing comes apart with screws--I'll bet they designed it that way so they would have the option of motorizing it like the Stuart. From what I know of taking apart the DML Kubel ambulance (yes I bought an extra one to cannibalize for parts), the DML Schwimmer probably is glued together REALLY well and is not meant to be taken apart. I think it would require a lot more work to convert one of those, and I dare say it might be too difficult to be worth it. Plus, it'd break my heart to hack apart something that cost so much and looks so nice!

Here are some pics I took as I was working. I'm actually farther along and need to take some more pics, but I thought I'd show these first.

That familiar "bathtub" chassis, before cutting:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-08-11DSCN10620002
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-08-11DSCN10630003
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-08-11DSCN10640001

The initial cuts (the front wheel wells needed further enlarging to accommodate steering, as I later discovered):
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-08-21DSCN10660006

Motor/transmission, receiver, electronic speed control, and steering components installed:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-19DSCN10700001

By the way, the steering servo and components were perfect for the Schwimmer! They are actually turned around so that the original front end of the Bandit faces the rear, and because of that car's unique configuration it can be mounted at an angle that fits PERFECTLY in the available space. And the shocks end up vertical, because they start out angled back on the Bandit. Here's a closer look:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-20DSCN10790018
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-20DSCN10760015

Here's a close up of the rear, with the transmission/motor, receiver and ESC:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-20DSCN10780017
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-20DSCN10770016

I ended up replacing the original Traxxas 12T motor that came with the Bandit, because that thing was WAY too fast. In fact, it's advertised as capable of hitting 35+ mph, although my own trials (I took it out to play with twice before its surgery!) suggest it was closer to 25-30 mph. That's a scale speed of 150+ mph! Considering the 1:1 Schwimmer had a top speed of 50 mph, and probably rarely went more than 30 or 40 cross country, and I had to find a motor with lower rpm but more torque. I went with one of those cheap silver can motors ($12), which has about a 25-27 turn that effectively cuts the speed by more than half with appropriate gearing. Still, even 12-15 mph is too fast, as it should be less than 8 to be scale speed. Luckily, the Traxxas ESC comes with a programmable "learner's mode" that chops the output by 50%, which drops the Schwimmer down into the range.

#ww2 #wwii #custom #vehicle #RC #german #21c #dragon

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I decided I didn't want to take everything apart everytime I needed to charge or install the battery, and I also needed to be able to access the ESC since it has the on/off switch. So, here's what I did to the interior cabin:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-26DSCN10840002
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-26DSCN10850003

I had to cut access holes for the battery jack and the ESC (the top hole under the left rear seat is for clearance and to provide ventilation for the heat sink. As you can see the battery pack lays down perfectly in the space on the floorboard between the front and rear seats. Obviously the fact that these things are visible ruins the "authenticity" of the model, but some concession has to be made for the mechanics. Plus I'll end up piling misc. "cargo" into the back seat area when it's all done, which should cover a lot of it up.

Finally, while we're at it, I wanted to show you what I had to do to the interior tub/cabin to accommodate the front and rear components. Here's the original, before all the cutting:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-08-11DSCN10650005

And here's the cabin afterward, minus the seats:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-26DSCN10830001

The panels are just plastic card. It actually works out pretty well to shorten the length of the cabin, since the front seats need to be pushed way back so they are under the central grab bar, and the rear seats have a lot of excess plastic that needed to be trimmed and so the rear panel now rests right up against the back of the slimmer seats.

I'll post more pics of what I did with the wheels to get them to work with the front and rear axles, as well as the never-ending detail work I'm currently working on. I haven't yet adapted the DML Kubel wheels (it's a lot more difficult), but I'm figuring it out.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
New taillight and license plate holder made of plasticard, with DML rear Notek light and patches of pride oar holder:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11000009
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11010010
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN10990008

Windshield clips, made of brass and sliced eraser rubber:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-29DSCN10860001

New bumper, made of 5/32 brass tubing:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-29DSCN10900002

I cut the retaining clips off the originals and attached to the new bumper for easy attachment:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-09-29DSCN10910003

Close-up of front end, showing clips and bumper, plus additional details. The Notek lamp, headlights, horn, windshield wiper motor, shovel, and spare tire boot are all from the DML kubel:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11050014
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11040013

I also sanded the windshield frame way down to about 60% of the original so it looks a little more scale, and cut the windshield brackets in half.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11030012

Canopy frame modified from DML kubel. Non-working and also not really accurate, but something that suggests the shape of the real thing a little better than the unmodified kubel one:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN10980007

This pic also shows one of the two retaining clips I fashioned from brass strip for the oar and shovel. Also not really accurate, but it works (for the shovel) and has almost the right shape. Still need to add "latch pulls," which I'll make out of brass rod. Also, central grab bar made out of 5/32 brass tubing. Side railing made of 5/32 aluminum tubing.

Here are pics of the trunk area showing some of the work I did. I dremeled, puttied, and sanded (endlessly, it seems!) all those weird bumps and lines that were on the original 21C. I then cut out a real trunk hatch that more closely approximates the real shape. This is a non-working hatch, however, as I need the one screw underneath that holds the top and bottom parts of the body together, so I reattached it underneath with strips of plasticard. But I think it looks a lot better as a separate piece rather than just using the scribed lines. Hinges are from Twisting Toyz panzerfaust crate. I also obviously cut out the engine vent areas and put screen where needed:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11090001
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-01DSCN11060015

Still have to do the exhaust heat shield, and fashion all those trunk latches. Haven't even started on the lower "hull" yet, with all those tow hooks and stuff. It's been a ton of work, but a lot of fun.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Haven't been able to do too much work on this lately but here are some recent additions, mostly having to do with the exhaust and heat shield:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-04DSCN11100001
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-04DSCN11120003
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-04DSCN11130004
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-04DSCN11110002
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-10-18DSCN11160005

The shield is tin cut to the right size and bent around various household objects to get the right diameter. The propeller tool clips (brass) were a bear to make, mostly because I had to make three of them look more or less identical (my fingers hurt!  ). The exhaust muffler was cut up and sanded down, with the DML kubel pipes added. The entire thing also needed to be angled back, so the outlet holes needed to be enlarged. Also did the trunk handle and propeller strap clip, which was pretty easy.

Still have several more things to do before I can paint, but it's slowly coming along...

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Finally getting to the point where things are starting to come together. I took some pics before I reprimed the exterior, so you can more clearly see what's been done.

I fashioned the front axle shield out of tin, embossing the three "ribs" to simulate the corrugations found in the real thing (I actually used the inside of the DML kubel door as a "stencil," which worked perfectly). I used Hob-Bits hex screws and nuts to secure the top, and it looks pretty scale. The tow hook is taken from the kubel and freely swivels (hinges are from the door). The tow hook well is formed from Tamiya epoxy putty, which cures really hard and holds the hinge incredibly securely (it ain't coming out!):
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11240001

I had to secure the side rails with Hob-Bits round screws and nuts after one popped off when I grabbed it by mistake. I think they work as "rivet detail," so I'm pleased with it. Also added the drain holes:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11250002

I fashioned the rear tow hook mounts out of Tamiya epoxy putty, sanding them to shape and super-glueing them on. Once again, I sank the hinges in before they cured, and they are absolutely locked in there. Also, you can see that I "detailed" the propeller assembly somewhat, with yet more hex screws and spare parts scrounged from the toolbox. I did what I could, but the whole thing is just so wrong that I wasn't inspired to go all out. Needless to say the linkage doesn't mate up, but I'm never going to display or drive it in the "down" position, so I don't mind. I'll probably end up weathering it really heavily and hope no one notices!  
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11280005
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11270004

As you can see I also did the trunk latches, using brass and the door handles off the kubel. These are non-working, as the trunk doesn't actually open, but I'm satisfied with the result.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11290006

Also added a side-view mirror (once again taken from the kubel):
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11360012

Some more shots, with Baldur itching to go for that first ride:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11260003
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11340011
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-05DSCN11300007

Still need to finish the interior and the dash, steering wheel, and upholstery. And of course, those darn kubel wheels, which I may just do last. But for now the exterior is basically done, and I'm psyched to get going on the paint job. Hope you like it!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Here's how it looks with the exterior completely re-primed (except for the canopy frame). I mock positioned the wheels to give an idea of how things will eventually look. Also added the DML mg mount.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-22DSCN11390002
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-23DSCN11430006
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-23DSCN11460009
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-23DSCN11440007
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing 2007-11-23DSCN11490012

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I can’t believe it’s been over a year since I started this project. In reality I got really burnt out with it last fall and took a nine month break until the end of this past summer, so it’s really only about five or six months of total work, but it was still a lot of work!

WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000445
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000450
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000446
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000451
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000447
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000456
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000457

When I left the project last fall, I still had a few details left to finish, but those went quickly: windshield wiper, dash details, DML wheel mods, seat upholstering, a few remaining nuts and bolt details, the transparent plastic in the rear Notek.

However, the painting and weathering was anything but quick. Part of the problem is that I hadn’t airbrushed anything in over twenty years, so I was relearning and improving my already rudimentary skills as I went along. But I’m pretty happy with how it all turned out.

I chose the classic three color camouflage: dark yellow, red brown, and olive green (all Tamiya acrylics). I wanted the camo to look field-applied, so I had to first apply decals after the dark yellow base coat was done before spraying the other two colors. I then let two of the red brown patches “wander” a bit over two of the decals, to look like it was applied in haste over it. I tended to apply the camo colors too saturated and opaque, which looked too perfect and toylike, so I hit everything with a heavily thinned fade coat of dark yellow to tone things down. This also had the unintended benefit of highlighting some raised detail, just as drybrushing does, so it saved me a little work at the end.

I airbrushed the exhaust a brown/black acrylic mix, then hit it with a lot of Rustall. Rustall is water/alcohol based, so it will lift acrylic paints underneath it and ruin it, but this was perfect for the purpose. It ended up exposing some of the gray primer coat, which was lacquer and thus unharmed, and looks like bare rusty metal, at least to me. I then airbrushed black to simulate exhaust stains as well as “engine dirt/grime” around all the rear deck openings/apertures, and lightly sprayed all around the rear area where I thought exhaust stains would settle, such as the top of the Notek.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000473
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000475
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000476

I did most of the weathering with oils, and though it was my first time trying it I was very pleased with the ease of use and results. Apparently it’s very important not to use turpentine, as it can ruin just about any base coat whether it’s acrylic, enamel, or lacquer, so I used odorless mineral spirits (Mona Lisa brand) for thinner, as many modelers advised in articles and books I read. I applied overall washes of raw umber and black (all oils were Winsor and Newton brand, Winton line), then I went to what scale modelers call “dot filtering” or “post shading.” For those not familiar with the technique, it’s basically applying random colored dots (I used black, white, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, raw umber) all over the model (do it section by section) and then taking a thinner-moistened flat brush and “wiping” it off, mostly in a vertical direction. At first it looks scary and horrible, but as you remove more and more paint and the colors start to blend, it gives a chromatic and textured effect to the base coat. It looks like dirt, dust, rust, grime, sun-faded paint all rolled into one. It was a rather laborious process on such a large model but I like how it turned out.

I then did “chipping” effects using an X-acto (really!), which took off the paint to reveal the primer. Using thin brown and black acrylics to vary the shades of the chips gives them aging and depth, and I applied some burnt sienna/raw umber for rust. Most of the rusting effects were with various shades of this oil mix, with more burnt sienna for new rust and more raw umber for old. Oils are absolutely terrific for producing that “weeping” effect, whether for rust or for general grime effects.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000466
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000465
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000464

I realize that chipping and rusting can be controversial to some modelers, but I saw a photo of a wartime schwimmer’s cabin clearly showing a ton of paint chips around the sill area, so I have documentation. Plus, unlike tanks, I’ve read that these soft skin vehicles usually survived a bit longer and thus would show more wear and tear before being destroyed or overhauled/repainted. I tried to do it judiciously where I thought things would be banging into it or the parts might rub together (bolts/rivets, prop linkage).
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000463

One thing I did not do was apply mud and dirt except for the shovel. After all the work I put into it, I was very reluctant to cover up the airbrush and weathering effects, and I think the mud will end up just flaking off as this thing gets handled and played with.

Finally, I sealed it with Pledge Future floor finish, once again a new technique for me. Apparently it’s been used for years by modelers to give that perfect decal application and to seal with a gloss or matte coat. I can’t believe I never knew about it until this project! It is the best! It’s an acrylic floor polish that can be airbrushed without thinning, and gives a smooth gloss coat. Mixed with Tamiya flat base at 75:25, it is dead flat, at least as good as if not better than Testors Dullcote. I will probably never go back, especially given how cheap it is! Plus, it’s non-toxic (unlike Dullcote) and can be used indoors, although I still used a mask so as not to breath any aerosolized particles. It smells like apples as it dries.

I used Tamiya flat earth acrylic to weather the windshield, seats, and tires. I painted the shovel with German grey/flat aluminum for the metal, flat flesh acrylic and burnt sienna oil for the wood (do an opaque coat first, let dry for 20 min., then drag a stiff brush over it to simulate the grain), then weathered with my usual flat earth/celluclay mix for dirt.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000453
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000469
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000468
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000471
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000472

These pics represent a “naked” schwimmer without crew or equipment so you can see the interior. I did incorporate the Panzerfaust as an RC antenna base, wrapping around it on its way under and around the canopy.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000460

I’ll try to post pics soon of a fully loaded vehicle with crew, which I’m still working on. I did give the schwimmer a trial run, and it runs great, very scale. I’d estimate a medium jog, so around 6 mph, or 36-40 scale mph, which is about right (top speed was 50). I’ll also try to post video someday, though the weather’s not cooperating here lately.
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000458
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000459
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000462

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Finally dried out enough outdoors to take some more pics. Here's the schwimmer "fully loaded."
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000562
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000559
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000558
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000556
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000557
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000565
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000552
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000551
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000566
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000577
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000572
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000569

I don't have the battery installed, but as you can see you can barely see the floorboards with all that stuff in the back, so it's pretty well hidden. I decided to do some Heer panzergrenadiers, out scouting and looking to do some damage! Here's the two chatting with a fellow pg:
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000547
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000548
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000579
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000583
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1000584

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Okay, so this is 2018 Tank Girl voice now. Cut to several years later, and I had switched the crew to a Heer reconnaissance one, as well as switching batteries from the old NiCads to LiPo, much lighter and more powerful.

I don't take it out to run it too often, maybe a couple of times a year, and it's still fun to do, but I still take the time to stop and enjoy its details when I pass by it in my rec room. Actually, I did recently give it a new crew, as I got tired of the two original Panzergrenadiers. I've seen wartime pics where it's used as a staff car for field officers, esp. for reconnaisance, so I went that route and did a Hauptmann and his driver for a panzer reconnaisance unit. You'll also notice I went back to the original non-scale wheels which simply run a lot better, esp. at high speed. Yes, puttering around at 6 mph got boring fast, so I end up cranking it at full speed which is closer to 15-20! Still don't have good video of it-- I need to get someone to film it while I drive!
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1030588
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1030590
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1030591
WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing P1030595

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
2018 Tank Girl voice: Wait another year (2013), and I finally shoot some video. Pretty terrible, but it gives an idea how fast the thing can move! Also, with Marschmusik!

That's it! Hope you enjoy it! It's hard to believe I finished it 10 years ago. I doubt I have it in me to do something like that again!  Neutral

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! Started reading this as you were posting, and I’m overwhelmed...
Your attention to detail, and the amount of time and effort you put into this project is staggering, to say the least. I have no expertise in this area, so all I can say is my mind has been blown. Beautiful work.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Impressive speed. That little thing can haul butt. I’d be terrified to run it after all the work you put into that build.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WWII - Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That looks great, though I'm guessing this one is for land use only.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive post with massive photographic documentation. And the result is marvelous. With the black and white video segment at the end, it's like watching a documentary from the time.

dadrab

dadrab
I'm seriously impressed.

For all practical purposes, that's a scratch build...and a damn nice one.

You've learned your lessons well. Great ideas abound in the build thread (a couple of which I might lift for later) and the paint work is to die for. I wouldn't so much as attempt it.

Thank you for showing us.

Genuine admiration here

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I'm able to view ALL pictures posted by TGZ within this thread.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great looking Schwimmwagen, photos and very cool video!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! Started reading this as you were posting, and I’m overwhelmed...
Your attention to detail, and the amount of time and effort you put into this project is staggering, to say the least. I have no expertise in this area, so all I can say is my mind has been blown. Beautiful work.
Stryker2011 wrote:Impressive speed. That little thing can haul butt. I’d be terrified to run it after all the work you put into that build.
Thanks Stryker2011! Appreciate the kind words! And yeah, it moves pretty fast, but nowhere near as fast as the stock Bandit when it was new (before it was sacrificed!) That thing flew! But still, the Schwimmy is pretty stable, so on a fairly wide driveway/road it's not too scary. I can even make it "drift" on a smooth surface if I slam on the brakes while turning, and it's still pretty stable. I guess I'm used to a different level of danger with the planes!
Rogerbee wrote:That looks great, though I'm guessing this one is for land use only.

CHEERS!
Thanks Rogerbee! Yup, it was way too complicated trying to make it waterproof. Although I've seen it done. Now those are talented modelers!
GubernatorFan wrote:Very impressive post with massive photographic documentation. And the result is marvelous. With the black and white video segment at the end, it's like watching a documentary from the time.
Thanks GubernatorFan! Although it can be laborious, I find it rewarding to show my process with some projects. I've learned a lot from others sharing their techniques, so just trying to pay it forward!
dadrab wrote:I'm seriously impressed.

For all practical purposes, that's a scratch build...and a damn nice one.

You've learned your lessons well. Great ideas abound in the build thread (a couple of which I might lift for later) and the paint work is to die for. I wouldn't so much as attempt it.

Thank you for showing us.

Genuine admiration here
Thanks dadrab! Appreciate and humbled by the kind comments! I wouldn't quite call it a scratch build, as I had good bones to work with. The 21c schwimmer is totally unscale, but it's a tough toy that gave me lots of room to work with, plus I cannibalized so many parts from the DML Kubel. When I see people building complete tanks (or warbirds for that matter) out of plastic or metal or wood sheets, then I'm usually blown away. But thanks for the kudos, to tell the truth the greatest compliment is when someone tells me they will try my ideas/techniques on their own builds.
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great looking Schwimmwagen, photos and very cool video!
Thanks BAD WOLF-787!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I can see all the pics.

CHEERS!

peter the painter

That is some seriously impressive custom work, it looks amazing.

Cheers,

Peter.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum