OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Archive "old" work: RC 21st C Schwimmwagen conversion/scale detailing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BAD WOLF-787

Great looking Schwimmwagen, photos and very cool video!

tankgirlfuzzy

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! Started reading this as you were posting, and I’m overwhelmed...
Your attention to detail, and the amount of time and effort you put into this project is staggering, to say the least. I have no expertise in this area, so all I can say is my mind has been blown. Beautiful work.
Stryker2011 wrote:Impressive speed. That little thing can haul butt. I’d be terrified to run it after all the work you put into that build.
Thanks Stryker2011! Appreciate the kind words! And yeah, it moves pretty fast, but nowhere near as fast as the stock Bandit when it was new (before it was sacrificed!) That thing flew! But still, the Schwimmy is pretty stable, so on a fairly wide driveway/road it's not too scary. I can even make it "drift" on a smooth surface if I slam on the brakes while turning, and it's still pretty stable. I guess I'm used to a different level of danger with the planes!
Rogerbee wrote:That looks great, though I'm guessing this one is for land use only.

CHEERS!
Thanks Rogerbee! Yup, it was way too complicated trying to make it waterproof. Although I've seen it done. Now those are talented modelers!
GubernatorFan wrote:Very impressive post with massive photographic documentation. And the result is marvelous. With the black and white video segment at the end, it's like watching a documentary from the time.
Thanks GubernatorFan! Although it can be laborious, I find it rewarding to show my process with some projects. I've learned a lot from others sharing their techniques, so just trying to pay it forward!
dadrab wrote:I'm seriously impressed.

For all practical purposes, that's a scratch build...and a damn nice one.

You've learned your lessons well. Great ideas abound in the build thread (a couple of which I might lift for later) and the paint work is to die for. I wouldn't so much as attempt it.

Thank you for showing us.

Genuine admiration here
Thanks dadrab! Appreciate and humbled by the kind comments! I wouldn't quite call it a scratch build, as I had good bones to work with. The 21c schwimmer is totally unscale, but it's a tough toy that gave me lots of room to work with, plus I cannibalized so many parts from the DML Kubel. When I see people building complete tanks (or warbirds for that matter) out of plastic or metal or wood sheets, then I'm usually blown away. But thanks for the kudos, to tell the truth the greatest compliment is when someone tells me they will try my ideas/techniques on their own builds.
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great looking Schwimmwagen, photos and very cool video!
Thanks BAD WOLF-787!

Rogerbee

Founding Father
I can see all the pics.

CHEERS!

peter the painter

That is some seriously impressive custom work, it looks amazing.

Cheers,

Peter.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap! I've been putting off commenting until I had time to really go through this thread. The amount of work on this is wild, and the results are really incredible. RC stuff is a completely different world for me, and is both fascinating and intimidating, in that the technical side is utterly beyond me. But damn, what an epic piece to have at the end of such a long project.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
peter the painter wrote:That is some seriously impressive custom work, it looks amazing.

Cheers,

Peter.
Thanks Peter!!
ReverendSpooky wrote:Holy crap!  I've been putting off commenting until I had time to really go through this thread.  The amount of work on this is wild, and the results are really incredible.  RC stuff is a completely different world for me, and is both fascinating and intimidating, in that the technical side is utterly beyond me.  But damn, what an epic piece to have at the end of such a long project.  
Thanks ReverendSpooky! Appreciate the comments! Believe me, I went into this project knowing basically nothing about RC myself. I literally taught myself all about servos and differentials and speed controls and all that (to give credit, though, the guys at the local Hobbytown really were helpful!). I had already learned how to use a dremel on my Stuart tank, so I knew I could handle the brute force aspect of modding. The rest was just lots of OCD research, trial and error, and practice, especially with the painting and metalwork. And lots of sanding! Lots and lots of sanding! Mad

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Holy!
Freaking!
Crap!
From the people who brought you ShovelChop81, OSF presents....ShovelChopShop!
You stuck the Landing TankGirlFuzzy!
This is WAY cool!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Pontiacivan wrote:Holy!
Freaking!
Crap!
From the people who brought you ShovelChop81, OSF presents....ShovelChopShop!
You stuck the Landing TankGirlFuzzy!
This is WAY cool!

Thanks so much Pontiacivan!! Appreciate the kind words, sorry it took so long for me to reply!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum