OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Having converted a Jason Momoa Aquaman head (HERE) and an Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan head (HERE), it seemed like a natural choice to do the same to the new Bucky Barnes head sculpt by HT. The face is excellent but the hair, while very impressively sculpted, is just soft molded plastic. I object to this on principle anyway, so here we go again. For more details on the process, please consult the other threads linked above.

More photos in Post 6 below

The original head:
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck10

I gently pried off the two-part hair sculpt and perched it on his shoulders for this photo:
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck11

You don't need a very ample scalp if you are going to give your head sculpt an ample hair, but I decided I should fill-in the various indents with Kneadatite Blue and Yellow. I painted it very lightly with a flesh color (not even trying to match the face, since it wouldn't be visible), then began to glue on the hair in rows, starting with a line parallel to the bottom of the head sculpt at the back.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck12

No matter how disheveled, I left the hair in place for a while, giving the glue a chance to cure.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck13

Then I gently removed any loose strands, rinsed the hair with water, and gave him a haircut.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck14

Finally, to make the hair less puffy, I applied a solution of water and shampoo+conditioner. I may have overdone it, giving him a more compact, wet hair look, but I will worry about styling it later (or not -- I wasn't completely crazy about the original/movie look of the hair).
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck15

Hope this is helpful or informative. What do you think?

More photos in post 6 below

#custom #kitbash #modification #bucky #barnes #wintersoldier #hottoys #ht #infinitywar #marvel #film #fiction #male #superhero #head #headsculpt #hair

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent work, as usual. I think if you start teasing some sections with a toothpick you could easily give it a more loose look if you wanted. Overall a vast improvement that will help the figure attain more realistic head movement.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
You did a great job on it as always! I liked to see how you built up the skull in these pics as well. And lol, the sculpted hair is draped over him so artfully. ;D

As you noted, it could perhaps do with just the tiniest bit of styling... I can understand not wanting to make it exactly like the original, but even just bringing the hair just slightly forward on the right side -- not necessarily covering his eye, but just a little over that cheekbone -- would sort of match the part in the front and also make it visually a bit more like the HT version. But at the same time, if you don't want to mimic that too closely then maybe it's ok as it is.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ovy

Ovy
Sculpted long hair triggers a natural reaction in you, it seems. Wink
Great work as usual. But I can totally relate now, after having rooted two heads under your spiritual guidance. The sculpted hairline or a headband really helps, I wonder what we would do without those?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Excellent work, as usual. I think if you start teasing some sections with a toothpick you could easily give it a more loose look if you wanted. Overall a vast improvement that will help the figure attain more realistic head movement.

Thank you very much. The problem with using product -- even diluted -- is that you end up with clumping -- at least when you're dealing with this type of very fine material. I did try teasing and relaxing the hair with a toothpick as you suggested, see the last photo in next post (I think it helped).

skywalkersaga wrote:You did a great job on it as always! I liked to see how you built up the skull in these pics as well. And lol, the sculpted hair is draped over him so artfully. ;D

As you noted, it could perhaps do with just the tiniest bit of styling... I can understand not wanting to make it exactly like the original, but even just bringing the hair just slightly forward on the right side -- not necessarily covering his eye, but just a little over that cheekbone -- would sort of match the part in the front and also make it visually a bit more like the HT version. But at the same time, if you don't want to mimic that too closely then maybe it's ok as it is.

Thank you very much. Oh yes, it definitely needed some styling, unless you wanted him to look like he just came out of the pool -- or, for you, emerged out of the foamy waves of the ocean Wink Part of me of course wanted to match the hairstyle of the original, although I thought that it looked rather artificial, even if accurate to the film appearance; I am just not beating myself up if I cannot get there, especially as I wasn't really loving it. The special challenge here is to have enough hair, but not too much. Not enough would leave bald spots (especially when it clumps due to the use of product), but too much would look too puffy. Anyway, I did play with it a bit more. And the "artful" or "artsy" draping of the removed sculpted hair pieces on the torso does remind me of a type of Roman imperial bust (most notably of Commodus playing Hercules). In both cases, see the extra photos in the next post.

Ovy wrote:Sculpted long hair triggers a natural reaction in you, it seems. Wink
Great work as usual. But I can totally relate now, after having rooted two heads under your spiritual guidance. The sculpted hairline or a headband really helps, I wonder what we would do without those?

Yep, it seems to. Didn't you once say it is a self-fulfilling prophecy? Smile Thank you very much. Go forth and convert all sculpted long hairs, my son! Smile I agree, the sculpted hairline helps a lot, as long as the result is reasonably integrateable with the "real" hair. For the most part, I have been lucky with that; an exception, where I needed to do a "real" hair hairline over the forehead, would be Fireman Chad (HERE).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Partly as a follow-up, partly in response to comments, here are three additional photos.

An even artsier classical-bust-inspired look at the detached hair pieces.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck16

Another look at the work on the scalp.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck17

"The morning after" ... some additional futzing with a toothpick to get a more relaxed look.
custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck18

It occurs to me that they should use Sebastian Stan to play post-Endor Luke Skywalker in an in-between installment of Star Wars. But what am I saying? For that to be any good, Kathleeen Kennedy and Rian Johnston would have to be kept completely away from the project, and the whole silly sequel trilogy universe would have to be scrapped and written off as Chewbacca's bad dream. Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The morning after pic is gorgeous! :')

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That looks fantastic. THAT is what HT should have given folks. Beautiful — or should I say: Handsome.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:The morning after pic is gorgeous! :')

Stryker2011 wrote:That looks fantastic. THAT is what HT should have given folks. Beautiful — or should I say: Handsome.

Thank you both! Well... with comments like this, I couldn't resist another inroad into silliness...

NSFW (?)

custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Htbuck19

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Haha. Nice. He looks like all those stallions you see on the covers of bad romance novels — or an addition to your Fireman series.

Ovy

Ovy
Haha, and I got a Caucasian Jesus vibe from him.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What type of glue are you using for all these rehairing jobs?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Haha. Nice. He looks like all those stallions you see on the covers of bad romance novels — or an addition to your Fireman series.

Thank you very much!

Ovy wrote:Haha, and I got a Caucasian Jesus vibe from him.

Glad it made you laugh. Well, according to the young blonde lady (who shall remain anonymous), he practices sexual healing. Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:What type of glue are you using for all these rehairing jobs?

I use Gorilla superglue. If it needs correction, one would have to "shave" it down and start again. Avoid having a thick layer of acrylic under the glue -- ideally the glue should be bonding to something more substantial (I told myself a very light, almost dry-brushed fleshtone on the scalp would allow the glue to reach through it, don't know if that is actually correct). When it cures, superglue sometimes leaves a bit of white/grey fuzz-like residue near the hair "roots." Have some acrylic markers of the right color (hopefully) to color them so they are not apparent. In this instance I didn't have such dark brown and had to fix a couple of spots with actual acrylic paint, which is not as good an option.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the tips.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the tips.

You're very welcome. I hope your re-hairing project works out great and that we get to see the results soon.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's my first attempt at re-hairing a sculpt based on the Guv's tips (hope it's okay to post it here). Not the greatest -- but it IS indicative of how my hair looked when I was in Junior High & High School.

custom - Converting Sebastian Stan HT Bucky Barnes Head (updated) Img_8175

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aw, bb Stryker! So cute! ;D

Btw, is that the same sculpt you used for your other mini-me? If so, the hair makes it look so different, lol.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Aw, bb Stryker! So cute! ;D

Btw, is that the same sculpt you used for your other mini-me? If so, the hair makes it look so different, lol.

Thanks. It is the same sculpt.

I need to futz with it some more, looks more like a wig rather than natural hair.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Move over, Fabio! And I do think it worked out very well. The only thing I would have done differently is slice off the neck. But that has nothing to do with the hair, which looks just right for the look you were after (I imagine). You didn't even use help from a bit of a sculpted hair line over the forehead and it looks great anyway! Great job.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Haha! Somehow I knew someone would bring up Fabio. Mad

Thanks for the reassurance it turned out alright; it was such a messy process, I had no idea if it would look okay when done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum