OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt010

Introduction
Peggy Carter is familiar to audiences both as the love interest of Steve Rogers (Captain America) and as an able and intelligent agent in her own right. In the recent Marvel movies and shows she has been played by actress Hayley Atwell. JX Toys has just produced a figure of Atwell as Carter's character and it is this product that you are looking at here. I decided to change up the format a little bit, keep the review concise and end with a silent photo story giving you plenty of opportunity to observe the figure/character in different poses. Since I am no expert on the character and my ability to provide objective evaluation in some of the categories is limited (e.g., what other accessories would be appropriate, would she wear a cap with her uniform?), I have omitted assigning stars to the categories, but I believe the photos and descriptions would suffice for you to make up your own mind.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt011

Packaging
The figure comes in a relatively compact hard cardboard shoe box-type container with a printed color image of the product on the cover. Inside it is a black foam trey with a thin sheet of black foam as a lid, containing the figure and its accessories. This is pretty basic, but also completely collector friendly and safe: my package was slightly damaged in the mail but although a little creased, the box held up, protecting the product.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt012

Sculpting
The actress/character can look a little different in different angles, scenes, or settings, but I believe JX Toys produced a very accurate and realistic likeness of Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter. It has the slightly austere, overly neat look of the period, conveys the fashion of a bygone age, and is one of those instances where the finely sculpted hair does work well for anything but very short hairstyles. Since this is a jointed body (with some seamless soft shell material for the torso) that is pretty much all covered up, I did not evaluate the rest of it for sculpting, although I will note that a true seamless body would have helped with the look of the knees and, to some extent, ankles. The hands are sculpted of very soft plastic, but work very well.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt013

Paint
The paint work is fairly minimal and very neat, both of which are appropriate. The face is pale but not unrealistic for the powdered and contrasting lipstick look of the era, the eyelashes and eyebrows are given very fine treatment, the eyes are glossy and symmetrical, the hair is perhaps a little flat but the fine sculpting of the strands overcomes any potential negative effect. Not seen in the photos, there is a bit of a hair clip showing at the top of the hair, which is appropriately painted a darker color and given a shiny finish. Even the fingernails are painted to match the lipstick, though here the level of detail and accuracy is just a little less impressive.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt014

Articulation
The articulation of the underlying body appears to be excellent, providing for all the movement you could expect or desire. The shirt and jacket do make posing the arms a little more difficult, and the skirt definitely limits the articulation of the thighs, as well as the ab crunch. The ankles are articulated, but just a little loose, an effect compounded by the inherent instability of high heels in this (or any?) scale. This is really the only annoying feature of the body, and makes it very difficult to have the figure standing in even fairly neutral "museum" poses -- without a stand or something/someone to lean on. If there is anything that bears improvement, it is the functioning (and look) of these ankles.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt015

Accessories
This is a very simple set. You get the figure in its outfit, some alternative hands, making a total of four pairs (relaxed, fists, trigger grip, knife grip), and a single true accessory, a non-articulated gun with painted handle and screws. This is minimal, but to be honest my memory of the movies (and I haven't seen the shows) is not detailed enough at this point to propose exactly what else should/could have been included. Moreover, retailing at about $105-140 (USD) even on eBay, while simple, this set is relatively modestly priced for a high-end figure from the Marvel Universe these days.

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt016

Outfit
The outfit is made up of stockings, underwear, a blouse, a skirt, a belt, and a jacket. Everything looks pretty well tailored and realistic, and the jacket is particularly impressive, with pleating and brass-colored metal buttons. Everything comes already on the figure, so unless you want to customize the look, you are all set. I removed the jacket to show the blouse, which also looks appropriate for the character and period, albeit inevitably creased. The belt works well, except for the difficulty in trying to get it to go into the cloth loop past the buckle. The one really annoying feature here are the stockings, which keep trying to slide down in an unsightly fashion and require repeated adjusting to look reasonably well. They also seem a little too light colored and opaque, but I am no expert in World War II-period stockings.

Before getting to the rest of the review, here is a little silent photo story (you can provide your own dialogue) that evolved from the photographs as I was taking them... World War II is not my period, so I didn't have all the necessary items, and this was the only other uniform from the time I had around. So consider it an alternate universe or what happens differently when Steve goes back... Smile

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt017

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt018

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt110

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt111

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt112

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt113

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt114

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt115

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt116

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story Pcjxt117

Fun Factor, Things to watch out for, Value, and Overall
There is almost nothing to worry about here, but as always, take care with the delicate wrist pegs. The combination of high heels, stockings, and less than perfectly tight ankle joints makes the figure quite unstable, so take this into account when posing it and displaying it. This cuts into the Fun Factor, as it can be annoying and time-consuming. But she looks great and will delight any and all of your Captain America figures, and probably anyone else too. Going for anywhere between $105 and $140 (USD), the set is not cheap in itself, but for a high-end rendition of a named protagonist from the Marvel Universe this is not bad. And if you worry whether the final product matches the promotional images, you need worry no longer: it does. Overall, this is an excellent figure with some minor issues. I imagine some customizers might end up swapping the body, and that might overcome some or all of these issues.

Where to Buy?
As always, you can search eBay for a deal. You can also find the set here:
GianToy for $105
Toy Origin for $120

Hope this has been helpful. What do you think?

#peggycarter #hayleyatwell #marvel #female #jxtoys #film #tv #review #photostory

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for this review and very adorable mini-photo story! Made my night! ;D

I think she looks good for what she is, and is basically pretty much what I expected based on the original promo. And yeah, I absolutely loathe those round ball ankle joints, but if I recall correctly, they CAN be swapped out for alternative connectors. Maybe? I'd probably switch her to a semi-seamless PopToys body; don't know if anything can be done on the ankles or not, would have to see.

Personally, I am not keen on the sculpted hair, though the execution could be a lot worse, I guess. But it's not a surprise, since, again, it's what I expected based on the pics.

ETA: Corrected my mistake, for some odd reason I thought this one put out by PopToys, I guess I'm getting it confused with the other one.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

JYMachine

JYMachine
Great review, very nicely done with the photo story. I was half-tempted to post some pictures of my figure, but glad I didn't; I knew I wouldn't have given the figure the justice which you have. In my opinion its a good price, one of the cheapest figures I've bought this year (albeit its fairly basic and obviously JX Toys don't have to worry about licensing fees...).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for this review and very adorable mini-photo story! Made my night! ;D

I think she looks good for what she is, and is basically pretty much what I expected based on the original promo. And yeah, I absolutely loathe those round ball ankle joints, but if I recall correctly, they CAN be swapped out for alternative connectors. Maybe? I'd probably switch her to a semi-seamless PopToys body; don't know if anything can be done on the ankles or not, would have to see.

Personally, I am not keen on the sculpted hair, though the execution could be a lot worse, I guess. But it's not a surprise, since, again, it's what I expected based on the pics.

ETA: Corrected my mistake, for some odd reason I thought this one put out by PopToys, I guess I'm getting it confused with the other one.

Thank you very much, glad you liked it. I might look into swapping the ankles. I also thought PopToys had a semi-seamless body but I don't think I have one (unless it is hiding under my Pop Toys Jeanne d'Arc). Maybe VTS or Vicky Secret? I don't pay much attention to 1/6 scale female bodies that are not TBLeague these days.

As for the sculpted hair, I think you know me well enough to know I'm not really a proponent. However, for this specific hairstyle I find it hard to believe "real" hair could have worked well in this scale -- it is not really very long, yet ample and shaped. Maybe with enough product. For what it is worth, it looks better in hand than in the macro photos.

JYMachine wrote:Great review, very nicely done with the photo story. I was half-tempted to post some pictures of my figure, but glad I didn't; I knew I wouldn't have given the figure the justice which you have. In my opinion its a good price, one of the cheapest figures I've bought this year (albeit its fairly basic and obviously JX Toys don't have to worry about licensing fees...).

Thank you very much, glad you liked it. You should not feel shy to post your photos, although I am flattered that you think I did it justice with mine. And I agree completely on the price. The use of the character's name made me think it might be licensed, but I wasn't sure, so I deleted references to that in my text.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review. I ordered from Giantoy, and based on tracking I should have her this week. If I do anything, I’ll swap out the body, and maybe add a bit more depth to the hair. Overall I think she looks great. I like your homage pic to the famous LIFE magazine shot.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

female - Peggy Carter JX Toys Review and Photo Story C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- yeah, of course, the hairstyle would be very tough to do with real hair, whether natural or synthetic. It's the sort of thing you'd really only see pulled off on a professionally made fashion doll.

And apologies if I'm mistaken about the ankles -- I know they are interchangeable on certain bodies, but of course this one might be different.

JYMachine -- I hope you will share some photos here at some point, I'd love to see! : )

Stryker -- would love to see pics of yours too, once you've got her all set up. Curious what body you will swap her to...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

nhwioz

nhwioz
Very nice and well-made photo story. Well-chosen props, it even has coffee in the cup. Smile

Pretty face with elaborate hairstyle, I can even forgive the sculpted hair.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the review. I ordered from Giantoy, and based on tracking I should have her this week. If I do anything, I’ll swap out the body, and maybe add a bit more depth to the hair. Overall I think she looks great. I like your homage pic to the famous LIFE magazine shot.

You are very welcome. I also got mine from GianToy, arrived yesterday. Surprised you didn't get yours before me. Glad you liked my homage to the famous LIFE photo, and agree she looks great overall. How would you add more depth to the hair? Paint?

skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- yeah, of course, the hairstyle would be very tough to do with real hair, whether natural or synthetic. It's the sort of thing you'd really only see pulled off on a professionally made fashion doll.

Possibly... I remember the 1/6-scale (sorta) ANH Leia from the Disney Store had actual (synthetic) hair buns.

nhwioz wrote:Very nice and well-made photo story. Well-chosen props, it even has coffee in the cup. Smile Pretty face with elaborate hairstyle, I can even forgive the sculpted hair.

Thank you very much! Yep, I got lucky in having a few pieces that fit (several of them from a WW2 German female officer set) or made do. I forgot to fish out my old-style telephone and place it on her desk. Thankfully no one has brought it up. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Guv: yes, just a bit of a lighter brown wash in select areas with a bit of paint. Nothing drastic, but every little bit helps.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Guv: yes, just a bit of a lighter brown wash in select areas with a bit of paint. Nothing drastic, but every little bit helps.

Interesting. Do show it here if and when you get it done. I might follow your lead, although I'm mostly fine with it as it is.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Very entertaining review, as per usual. The LIFE magazine kiss pose, i thought it looked familiar but couldn't place it. Thanks to Stryker.
Excellent directing, GF! The interview, the flirting, the make-out, heard gunshots, then... action!
Wherever did you get that typewriter with case?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rollotomasi wrote:Very entertaining review, as per usual. The LIFE magazine kiss pose, i thought it looked familiar but couldn't place it. Thanks to Stryker.
Excellent directing, GF! The interview, the flirting, the make-out, heard gunshots, then... action!
Wherever did you get that typewriter with case?

Thank you very much, Rollo. Glad you found it entertaining. The typewriter, case, lamp (which is functional), and maybe the clipboard and pencil are all from this set (I picked them up parted out) :
https://www.monkeydepot.com/Boxed_Figure_WWII_German_Nachrichtenhelferinnen_D_p/di0185.htm

The typewriter is magnetic (so it sticks to the metal case -- haven't figured out whether that opens or not), and you can roll in the typed (or blank) page -- it comes with two where the typing covers only the top part of the sheet.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Mine showed up yesterday. The Guv’s photos pretty much show you the figure as she is. My only two gripes are the hideous ankles, and it probably would have been better to give her full pantyhose (not thigh highs) to keep them from sliding down the hard plastic legs. Otherwise, I think she looks great.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Mine showed up yesterday. The Guv’s photos pretty much show you the figure as she is. My only two gripes are the hideous ankles, and it probably would have been better to give her full pantyhose (not thigh highs) to keep them from sliding down the hard plastic legs. Otherwise, I think she looks great.

Congratulations on your new arrival. Glad you like her -- and that you confirm my impression. I considered fashioning a garter, wasn't sure how it would hold up. And there, unwitting pun of the day... Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good thought. Since you can’t actually see her thighs, I wonder if a couple of small rubber bands would work...

Might be too thick.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Good thought. Since you can’t actually see her thighs, I wonder if a couple of small rubber bands would work...

Maybe they will. I even considered taping them, but then thought they would mess with the articulation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum