OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update: I have posted the review and smaller selection of images in post 14 below.

Disclaimer: very photo heavy (over 70 photos).

Despite the long period of time that elapsed since their last base male body was released, TBLeague's M35 appeared so quickly after being announced, that I was a bit late to the party. And shooting photos and writing a detailed review took quite a while. You can find the review itself in post 14 below, but I took a ton of additional photos. You can see many of them below (some of them being larger and clearer versions of what was already included in the review).

Remember that M35 comes without any head sculpt, clothing, or accessories (besides the removable set of feet, three sets of hands, and two sets of genitals); everything else you see here has been added on for the photos; the body itself has been modified by painting the nipples for added realism.

SET 1: COMPARISON PHOTOS (4)

Here is the M35 body compared to its immediate predecessor, M34, and also to the previous three Phicen/TBLeague releases (M32-M34).

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3530c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3531c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3532c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3589c10

SET 2: JOHN CENA AT THE GYM (4)

I had repainted this John Cena head and it matched the M35 body, so I figured this would make some sense. If the head is too shiny, that's the fault of Vallejo's matte varnish, which is not matte enough -- I've since repainted it again, this time without the varnish.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3503j10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3504j10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3505j10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3506j10

SET 3: ARNIE ON THE BEACH (14)

Recreating a number of actual photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger exhibiting the results of his bodybuilding on the beach. Sand (or at least the kinetic sand I used) loves the silicone TBLeague bodies; I can't say the feeling is mutual.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3522a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3523a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3524a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3525a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3526a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3527a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3528a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3529a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3516a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3515a10

Then there are the series of photos of Arnie showing off on the beach in the company of at least three different ladies...

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3517a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3518a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3520a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3513a10

SET 4: ARNIE AT THE GYM (6)

Recreating actual photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger exervising at the gym.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3507a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3508a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3509a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3510a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3511a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3512a10

SET 5: CONAN AND TERMINATOR (5)

Recreating a few frames from the movies. I have upgraded my custom Conan the Destroyer with the M35. Not sure how well my ambitious attempt to recreate the Terminator's arrival worked out, but the point is, the body can make the right pose. Now if it only had an additional pair of feet with bent toes... (this time I didn't substitute any from ACI).

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3533a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3534a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3535a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3591c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3536a10

SET 6: THOR (6)

Reconstituting my custom non-superhero Thor (still played by Chris Hemsworth) with M35.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3539c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3537c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3541c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3542c10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3543c10

Chris Pratt decided he had to bulk up, too... M35 works quite well with the HT Star Lord 2 head sculpt.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3590c10

SET 7: THESEUS AND THE MINOTAUR (6)

The non-movie-based Theseus (still played by Henry Cavill) uses an M33, while my custom Minotaur (uncredited) has been upgraded to M35. The scenes are based on ancient Greek art.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin210

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin211

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin212

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin213

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin214

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Thmin215

SET 8: IVAN DRAGO (3)

I repainted the Hot Toys Ivan Drago head (and I have repainted it yet again since taking these photos), but it is still a little off. Perhaps it is that Hot Toys had still not perfected realistic head sculpts at the time it made it (Blitzway/DAM's Universal Soldier Andrew Scott was a much better rendition of Dolph Lundgen). It works reasonably well on M35, although in truth the head is a bit large and was designed to be used with a taller body. And yes, I don't have the right boxing outfit (the HT booted feet were too small anyway), so just imagine him as a MMA or UFC fighter.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3549d10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3550d10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3551d10

SET 9: DUTCH from PREDATOR (26)

Sometime ago I noticed that my Hot Toys Dutch figure had mysteriously broken at one knee. I tentatively repaired the damage, but have been thinking of finding a better permanent solution. Although M34 would probably be better both for appearance and articulation (as it will not fill up the tight clothing quite as much and therefore remain more poseable), I tried out the Arnie head, outfit and gear on M35. It worked remarkably well, although the fit is very tight, as might be expected. I suppose it helped that the camo shirt was sleeveless, although it still barely fit. The long pantlegs and sleeves of the overshirt/jacket show that it is possible to cram M35's muscles into such clothing, although it was admittedly designed for a type of muscular body to begin with. If I were going to use a TBLeague body as a permanent solution here, I will probably go with M34.

The first five photos convey an appearance only really seen in the "making of" footage, but would show off the body better.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3552a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3553a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3585a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3586a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3588a10

The remaining photos are all based on actual frames from the film, in chronological order. Why did I take so many? I got carried away with research and trying to replicate what we see on the screen. Why did I post so many of them? Not quite sure; it was hard to choose between them, especially as many came out pretty well.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3554a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3555a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3556a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3557a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3559a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3560a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3562a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3592d10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3564a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3566a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3567a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3571a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3572a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3573a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3575a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3579a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3580a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3581a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3582a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3583a10

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3584a10

I hope this has been a good overview of the potential and possibilities with the new M35 body. Let me know what you think.

For more, you can also check out Adeno's review HERE and MarkEl's photos HERE.

#phicen #tbleague #male #seamless #body #custom #kitbash #m35

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I submitted the guest review a week ago, but it still has not appeared. When it does, I will update the link. In the meanwhile, here are all the extras (in the post above)...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very detailed and thorough review, Guv. Excellent Arnold posing. My one concern is the mismatch coloring on the hands and feet.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Very detailed and thorough review, Guv. Excellent Arnold posing. My one concern is the mismatch coloring on the hands and feet.

Thank you very much, Stryker. Of course the actual review is not yet up. If Michael doesn't include it in his Sunday evening release, I might just have to go on and put it up here.

In hand there doesn't seem to be much of a mismatch. I have noticed that the spot lights I use sometimes accentuate mismatches, although I don't think these are necessarily apparent in each and every photo. Maybe it is about how we perceive colors individually, or our computer screen settings?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah. I've found that too with photographs. What our eyes see is almost never what the camera captures. Different lighting situations have a huge impact on what the camera picks up, but the differing skin colors from hands and feet to the body is there, even if our eyes don't always perceive it. There's been plenty of times I think I've found a good color match for a head sculpt to a body, only to take a picture of it under natural, and flash, lighting, to find out I was WAY off. Damn cameras! Mad But then I realize... well, I'll be looking at it under either natural or artificial light, not through the lens of a camera, so what do I care. If it looks good under normal conditions, I can live with it.

Allotropos

Allotropos
fantabulous review and side by side comparisons !! I just picked up an M35 yesterday and it's a nice addition to my collection.

Fox915

Fox915
Man! Those are some awesome photography Gubernator. It's really cool to see how versatile this body is, and you've shown that very well with various head sculpts. I just love the various scenes and themes, my two favorites would have to be the gym workout (the floor, wall, dumbbells and equipments all look really cool), and the Predator jungle scene (he just looks so badass!  Very Happy ).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah. I've found that too with photographs. What our eyes see is almost never what the camera captures. Different lighting situations have a huge impact on what the camera picks up, but the differing skin colors from hands and feet to the body is there, even if our eyes don't always perceive it. There's been plenty of times I think I've found a good color match for a head sculpt to a body, only to take a picture of it under natural, and flash, lighting, to find out I was WAY off. Damn cameras! Mad But then I realize... well, I'll be looking at it under either natural or artificial light, not through the lens of a camera, so what do I care. If it looks good under normal conditions, I can live with it.

This brings up a good question -- should our color matching be good enough for normal conditions (whatever these are for us), or for photographing? Ideally both, but neither is fully under our control as it can vary. I do look for close matches, but I have given up on expecting absolute consistency.

Allotropos wrote:fantabulous review and side by side comparisons !! I just picked up an M35 yesterday and it's a nice addition to my collection.

Thank you very much and congratulations. I hope you have lots of fun with your new acquisition! Remember, the actual (textual) review is yet to be posted and I'll be updating this thread.

Fox915 wrote:Man! Those are some awesome photography Gubernator. It's really cool to see how versatile this body is, and you've shown that very well with various head sculpts. I just love the various scenes and themes, my two favorites would have to be the gym workout (the floor, wall, dumbbells and equipment all look really cool), and the Predator jungle scene (he just looks so badass!  Very Happy ).

Thank you very much, Fox. Sounds like I've done my job. Glad you like my makeshift gym (a slightly more developed version of what I had already shown before), and I'm rather proud of how the Predator jungle scene worked out. I tracked down photos of the actual Mexican jungle they used in the film, found a photo big enough to blow up for our purposes without becoming too grainy and had it printed out on matte paper, and then experimented with the Michael Crawford diorama shortcut (which works if you have enough suitable "floor" in the frame -- you let that curl horizontally on your surface, while leaving the rest of it as a backdrop).

MarkEl

Thanks GubFan for the superb review.  Yours are always some of the best out there in terms of both content and photography.  Always a bit of humour in the photos as well.  Currently overwhelmed.  Let me digest and ponder.  ‘I’ll be back!’  ;-)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:Thanks GubFan for the superb review.  Yours are always some of the best out there in terms of both content and photography.  Always a bit of humour in the photos as well.  Currently overwhelmed.  Let me digest and ponder.  ‘I’ll be back!’  ;-)

Thanks, MarkEl. Yep, it was a bit longish. And by all means, do come back! I hope the actual review (text) will be uploaded soon And if not, I'll put it on here myself. (Of course you have you own m35, so you don't really need a review to make up your mind.)

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Great review!

The real life difference between M34 and 35 is weapons grade steroids. I think it works best on Dutch.

CHEERS!

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks alot for the detailes review. now im glad i skipped the m34, the legs felt off on that one. sad to see the biceps doesn't show upwards on vertain poses, rather to the front. but i guess those sacrifieces are to be made with seemless bodies.
cheers
tjolnir

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Great review! The real life difference between M34 and 35 is weapons grade steroids. I think it works best on Dutch.

Thank you! It worked pretty well on Dutch. For practical purposes, I think I would still use an M34 there (the M35 muscles are so big they might tear the sleeveless t-shirt's openings over time, and they get in the way of leg articulation when stuffed inside the relatively tight pants.

Tjolnir wrote:thanks alot for the detailed review. now im glad i skipped the m34, the legs felt off on that one. sad to see the biceps doesn't show upwards on certain poses, rather to the front. but i guess those sacrifices are to be made with seamless bodies.

Thank you! I agree, although I don't think any of us really noticed at first, the internal skeleton design, while excellent for general posing, is insufficient to achieve 100% realistic accuracy in terms of certain muscle turns, etc. Maybe that's why they say they are 90% accurate to human movement.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Since the guest review still has not been posted at http://www.mwctoys.com , I am including the text and images below (most of these images you would have seen in the fuller set above).

Review of Super Flexible Seamless Male Body M35 by TBLeague
Overall Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3522a10

Introduction

Over a year since its previous super flexible seamless male body (M34) was a released, TBLeague (formerly known as Phicen) has come out with its next product of this type, PL2018-M35 (henceforth, M35). This is another super flexible seamless male body with a stainless steel skeleton covered by a flexible, yet durable, silicone "skin" or "flesh." M35 is a heavily muscled body, even more so than its predecessor M34. When M34 appeared over a year ago, I declared that it was what Phicen's customers had been waiting for; now it seems most of us will be upgrading many (if not all) of our custom Terminators and Conans and Thors, etc., with the new M35. For the earlier products in this line, you can consult my guest reviews of M30 and M31, M32, M33, and M34, also brought to you courtesy of Michael Crawford. A comparison photo of the last four bodies (M32-M35) appears at the end of this review. I took so many different photos, that only a small subset could be included here; to see many additional and/or larger photos, you can check out the original post above.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3505j10

Packaging - ***1/5
M35 comes in the familiar packaging for TBLeague base male and female bodies: a fairly compact glossy dark-colored cardboard box that holds the transparent plastic trays and cover. The box includes the usual manual sheet for the male bodies, the body, and its accessories. While the product's name is listed correctly next to the "item no." line on the box's cover, the cover itself features the stylized graphic that comes with female bodies, and indeed the text reads "super flexible female seamless body"; the bottom/back of the box, however, has the correct reference to the male body. This is hardly a big problem, but it is an embarrassing slip in quality or attention to detail. The box contains the correct male body and does its task of protecting it from damage -- my boxes shipped from China and were often partly damaged on the outside, yet the contents had remained in perfect condition. Everything inside is collector friendly.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Review10

Sculpting - ****
Like the other modern stainless steel skeleton base bodies produced by TBLeague, M35 comes without a head sculpt. Therefore, "sculpting" refers to the shaping of the rest of the body. The hands and feet appear to be identical to those in the previous releases, M33 and M34, sculpted quite nicely and carefully, and featuring a good degree of detail -- veins, nails, separate fingers in some of the hand sculpts. The body itself also has a similar sculpt to M34, but the muscles are now larger, and additional definition and veins have been added. In some parts of the body (for example the back and abdomen), the detail is virtually the same as before, in others (especially the upper legs and calves) it has been revised and elaborated. While there may now be larger muscles and more definition, it should be pointed out that it is not everywhere as sharply sculpted as in M34 -- which is not to say that it is any less appropriate, and helps contribute additional distinction between the bodies. Overall, M35 is a palpably but not overly more muscular build than M34, still without going to the absolute extremes of modern bodybuilding.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3526a10

M35 measures 29.5 cm (11.5 in) up to the top of the metal neck joint, and a bit over 30.5 cm (12 in) with an added head sculpt, although the latter measurement would vary depending on the head sculpt, hairstyle, and position of the inside neck connector. All this makes M35 similar in height to and very slightly taller than M34. Note that the slightly taller stature and especially the bulkier musculature of M35 give it a higher center of gravity, and that makes it a little bit less stable in some positions. While it can usually stand safely on its own feet, sometimes it does take a tumble and can damage more fragile items in its path. If you plan on displaying it standing around for a long time, consider using a stand.

Both bodies make an excellent foundation for various action and super hero customs and kitbashes; in cases where M34 was still a little less muscular than needed, M35 can now be deployed.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3537c10

Paint - ***
Let me start by saying that there is nothing wrong with the paint, given that this is a base body. The paint is consistent and relatively appropriate, though very much a tan skin tone (although technically referred to as "suntan" and distinct from both the old and new "suntan" skin tones on Phicen/TBLeague's female figures). The color of the silicone flesh matches that of the harder plastic of the hands and feet very well, and it can also match many, if not all, sixth-scale male head sculpts produced by various companies. There doesn't seem to be any nuance in the skin tone, although the sculpt and the surface allow for some natural variation.

One obvious omission (presumably out of financial considerations) is the fact that the sculpted nipples remain unpainted, as in previous male seamless bodies in this line. This is contrast to what TBLeague does to its female bodies, and what other companies (e.g., ACI, Hot Toys, Kaustic Plastik, World Box) have done with their male bodies in cases where the chest is or could be exposed. (Interestingly, TBLeague did not skip painting the hair on the flaps intended to help attach the genitals to the body.) You can see the original appearance of the body in the box and accessories photos in this review; in the rest of the photos, I have painted the nipples with a mixture of silicone pigments and silicone glue, for added realism. At this price, however, one should not have to modify the product, especially one that prides itself on realism. Hence the loss of the fourth star in this category.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3536a10

Articulation - ***1/2
Like its predecessors, M35 is very well-articulated (or, as TBLeague puts it, super-flexible). The range of motion and the ability to hold poses is both very extensive and very impressive. The larger muscles do get a little in the way, but not much more so than with an actual human body, which ought to be the point of comparison; certainly a jointed hard plastic body sculpted with the same degree of musculature would not be able to compete with the silicone "skin" and stainless steel skeleton. M35 can flex, reach, stride, bend, and sit just like a human body in pretty much all natural poses; ankles, knees, elbows, and neck work perfectly (how the head tilts at the base of the skull, however, would depend on the type and depth of its inside neck connector). The only specific instance in which I have come to notice a palpable limitation in the articulation is the wrist: although it can rotate freely around its axis, it cannot bend quite as far as a human's. This is why I have taken away half a star from the rating although, all things considered, this is a very minor limitation.

With muscle bodies like M34 and M35 another limitation of these (or pretty much all) action figures becomes easier to notice: because the silicone "skin" is basically unattached to the underlying limbs of the stainless steel skeleton, some of the muscles do not always turn quite as far as they would on an actual human (since there are no real sinews and ligaments to pull them and hold them from the inside). But the problem is usually not particularly obvious, and here, too, most jointed bodies (especially muscular ones) are not likely to have an advantage.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3535a10

Accessories - ***
M35 comes with the same accessories (or one should really say spare/swappable parts) as M34: a total of three pairs of exchangeable hand sculpts (fists, relaxed hands, and gun- or sword-grip hands), a pair of detachable feet; and two sets of genitals concealed in semi-opaque small plastic bags. There is no stand. This selection is not very extensive, but it is reasonable; that does not mean it is optimal. ACI's base bodies, for example, not only included a couple of additional hands, but also an additional pair of feet with bent toes, allowing greater realism (and stability) in crouching poses. These bent-toes feet would have been a very welcome addition (TBLeague does include a second set of feet for high heels with its female bodies). TBLeague's competitor Jiaou Doll did include something along these lines with its male bodies, except that the toes were so slightly bent, that the extra sculpt was both basically useless and visually almost indistinguishable from the flat feet. The standard instructions sheet is included, with the company's name updated to TBLeague in the title (but still using "Phicen" in the text).

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) Review11

Outfit - n/a
Technically a base body does not guarantee or even need the inclusion of any outfit. However, Phicen/TBLeague has spoiled us by including a basic outfit in the past, starting with M32, which came with an elaborate pair of yellow sports shorts. M33 and M34 came with underwear plus wrist and ankle bands. M35 comes with nothing. This is not only a letdown from an expectation TBLeague has set with its previous offerings, but also a palpable complication. As the largest and most muscular of these silicone-covered bodies, M35 is the hardest one to clothe: sixth-scale male clothing is even more difficult (and often impossible) to fit over the bulkier muscles. Clothing designed specifically for TBLeague figures (with their muscles and rubbery surface) is a bit easier to put on M35 successfully. As you can see in some of the photos, I succeeded in clothing it in the outfit of Hot Toys' Dutch from Predator, but remember that these were designed for a muscle body (albeit of a different type). Clothing with elastic waists (for example some types of pants and shorts for Mattel's Max Steel) also tends to work well enough. With some effort and patience (remember, the muscles are pliable), many seemingly impossible items of clothing can be made to fit; others, however, would be too small and might split or tear in the process. Note that the combination between the large muscles and relatively tight clothing could lead to possibly significant limitations in articulation.

As with earlier male bodies in this line, the TBLeague feet (while proportional) are a bit too large for most of the wearable sixth-scale footwear. I recommend using World Box feet for footwear that needs the foot inserted inside it; footwear designed to fit onto pegs instead does not usually present problems with the TBLeague bodies.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3553a10

Fun Factor - ****
While the promotional materials for M35 display it, like its predecessor M34, with Arnold Schwarzenegger head sculpts, it can be used for any number of heavily muscled characters. Depending on what you have lying around (or have compiled for the occasion) and what you can fit on it, M35 can be turned into a Terminator, Conan, Beastmaster, WWE or UFC fighter, boxer, soldier, or enforcer, and populate or channel a modern, futuristic, ancient, or fantasy environment. While it is fairly sturdy, the M35 body is not designed for the use of children; apart from any possible damage to the body, the detachable hands and feet could pose potential hazard.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3560a10

Value - ***
A base action figure body at this price point is not a bargain. But a base action figure body that is seamless, beautifully sculpted, and super flexible (yet surprisingly durable), and hasn't increased its retail price astronomically with each new release over the course of a couple of years may be a little different. Depending on where you look and whether shipping is included, M35 retails for anywhere between $70 and $110. Compared to the price range for M34 over a year ago, the lower end is identical, while the upper end is only $5 more; given the aggressive rise in prices for sixth-scale goods, this consistency is a welcome exception. Unlike my earlier reviews of Phicen/TBLeague male seamless action figure bodies, there is now another company, Jiaou Doll, which produces such products. When they first came out, they were being sold for a comparable price, which has since decreased somewhat. So far they come in only one (slimmer) body type (albeit in different skin tones), and they are a little inferior in quality and articulation to the TBLeague products.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3534a10

Things to Watch Out For -
Not much, but keep in mind the usual possible issues. Although I encountered no problems swapping the hands, they can be a little difficult to remove and it might be best to heat them with a blow dryer before swapping. Avoid posing the body in very extreme poses for a long time as a basic precaution. Similarly, unless you are ready to commit to a specific look, avoid clothing your TBLeague bodies in dark colors that might bleed and stain the body (especially black and dark blue or red; pleather is a frequent culprit); prolonged exposure or friction does tend to exacerbate the potential problem. The resulting stains might fade or be absorbed by the silicone body over time, and there are recommended fixes one might try, but better safe than sorry and proceed at your own risk.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3551d10

Overall - ***1/2
M35 continues the tradition of TBLeague excellence in well-articulated seamless bodies, both male and female. While the absence of some additions outlined above is a continued missed opportunity, the product itself is attractive, versatile, and of high quality. M35's appearance and flexibility make it an excellent base for any number of customs and kitbashes or upgrades. While they could be improved further, TBLeague's seamless bodies remain, in my humble opinion, the best action figure bodies in this scale, and M35 is a fine addition to this array. One can only hope for additional variety and improvement in the future.

Score Recap (out of ****):
Packaging - ***1/2
Sculpting - ****
Paint - ***
Articulation - ***1/2
Accessories - ***
Sound Feature - n/a
Light Feature - n/a
Outfit - n/a
Fun Factor - ****
Value - ***
Overall - ***1/2

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3513a10

Where to Buy
Online options include these (some of them still preorders) :

Big Bad Toy Store for $80

Cotswold Collectibles for $80

Monkey Depot for $80

Timewalker Toys for $80

and on eBay various prices HERE

Related Links -
I have reviewed the earlier Phicen/TBLeague male seamless bodies on this site: M30 and M31, M32, M33, and M34. For many additional and/or larger photos of M35, you can check HERE.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3589c10

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the actual text on this extremely detailed review. The amount of work you put into this is very informative. I'm still waiting on mine, unfortunately.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the actual text on this extremely detailed review. The amount of work you put into this is very informative. I'm still waiting on mine, unfortunately.

Welcome! Glad you liked it. If you pre-ordered from domestic sellers in the States, it is not surprising yours are still on the way (although some eBay sellers that say they're in the States do seem to have had them fairly early -- but for higher prices). I expected that, so once I saw it was out, I ordered from trusted sellers in China on eBay. At any rate, I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with yours when you get it/them.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I just had to try this before putting the body away.

custom - TBLeague / Phicen M35 updated (photo heavy) M3593p10

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
WOW . . . that's a lot to unpack.

I don't know, but I have this sudden craving for a foot long or maybe a kielbasa.

I really need to get some M35s, but my only caveat is . . . a bigger/longer junk was a missed opportunity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, DFC! And LOL. I am not sure why you keep supposing that M35 is in any way insufficiently provided for.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Don’t they shrink with steroid abuse? Or is that a myth? Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum