OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Help needed with forum tech

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 am

Technical issue. There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice. I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.

View user profile

102 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:Technical issue.  There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice.  I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.  

I think this is just a limitation of the system.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

103 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

GubernatorFan wrote:
MarkEl wrote:Technical issue.  There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice.  I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.  

I think this is just a limitation of the system.

--

So I decided to create a poll and . . .

Wink Razz

http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t211-test-poll-for-my-own-edification-and-probably-some-of-you

View user profile

104 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

I want to suggest tweaking the styling for mobile. When viewing the forum on a mobile phone in portrait mode, so little of the thread titles are visible that they are basically meaningless. Even if you turn the phone sideways to landscape (which is not necessary for most sites these days), there still isn't a ton of text. My suggestion would be to reduce the size of thread title font or show 2 lines of text for titles.

View user profile

105 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun May 20, 2018 10:34 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Hi Zombiekev,
Apparently this is beyond the basic capabilities of this free forum, unless perhaps one messes with the code, which is beyond me and I would not want to mess anything up. And I mean no offense to remind you that these forums are not exactly designed for browsing-by-phone. What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

106 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun May 20, 2018 10:41 am

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.

That could even be problematic for New Product threads, as the titles can be long.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

107 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 am

GubernatorFan wrote:Hi Zombiekev,
Apparently this is beyond the basic capabilities of this free forum, unless perhaps one messes with the code, which is beyond me and I would not want to mess anything up. And I mean no offense to remind you that these forums are not exactly designed for browsing-by-phone. What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.

Hmm, I don't think limiting the number of characters in the title would help mobile users see more of the titles, so probably should avoid that. I do have a web dev background, so I'll see if I can setup a forumotion free account and play with the settings in there. I'll let you know if I see an easy solution.

In any case, thanks for looking into it!

View user profile

108 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 am

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Sounds like a plan, we could do with some experienced hands on the tiller.

CHEERS!

View user profile

109 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
ZombieKev, the titles wrap for me, showing on two or more lines if necessary. It now occurs to me that you may have been talking about what you see on the forum home page rather than what you see on the general talk page. If that is the case, I changed a setting so that more of the title would show there (it was cutting off at 16 characters before). Take a look and see if this has taken care of the issue for you.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

110 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm

GubernatorFan wrote:ZombieKev, the titles wrap for me, showing on two or more lines if necessary. It now occurs to me that you may have been talking about what you see on the forum home page rather than what you see on the general talk page. If that is the case, I changed a setting so that more of the title would show there (it was cutting off at 16 characters before). Take a look and see if this has taken care of the issue for you.

I was talking about the General Talk page unfortunately. The idea being that mobile users could scan the list of threads without clicking into them to find out what they're even about. No worries. Thanks for trying in any case!

View user profile

111 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue May 22, 2018 7:01 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
ZombieKev wrote:I was talking about the General Talk page unfortunately.  The idea being that mobile users could scan the list of threads without clicking into them to find out what they're even about.  No worries.  Thanks for trying in any case!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry I don't know how to improve that part of your experience. On my interface (but it is a desktop/laptop), the titles do wrap. You could try searching the support forum at http://help.forumotion.com/ , though my searches turned up nothing more helpful.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

112 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 pm

So I spun up a forumotion account for testing. Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices. This is like OSW before the redesign. So everything is shown but it's tiny.
- Add new CSS/code in the backend
- User can install the eTopic mobile app to view (tho it ends up not showing any more than the website!)

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change. I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now. I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

View user profile

113 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
ZombieKev wrote:So I spun up a forumotion account for testing.  Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices.  This is like OSW before the redesign.  So everything is shown but it's tiny.
- Add new CSS/code in the backend
- User can install the eTopic mobile app to view (tho it ends up not showing any more than the website!)

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change.  I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now.  I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

Unless you explain what exactly "add new CSS/code in the backend" means. If it means paste some extra text at the very end of the code (and it will not change anything else), it can probably be done.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

114 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu May 24, 2018 1:58 pm

GubernatorFan wrote:
ZombieKev wrote:So I spun up a forumotion account for testing.  Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices.  This is like OSW before the redesign.  So everything is shown but it's tiny.
- Add new CSS/code in the backend
- User can install the eTopic mobile app to view (tho it ends up not showing any more than the website!)

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change.  I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now.  I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

Unless you explain what exactly "add new CSS/code in the backend" means. If it means paste some extra text at the very end of the code (and it will not change anything else), it can probably be done.

I only saw that forumotion offered the option to stick in your CSS, so presumably it can be changed. But the process of determining the exact code change needed, making sure it triggers only on some mobile views and testing to see if it adversely affects any other part of the site is a lot of work. Also, if forumotion updates their own code in the meantime, no guarantee that code doesn't screw up something else. Having users turn the phone sideways doesn't seem that bad in comparison.

View user profile

115 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
I've noticed a lack of line spacing with long thread titles. They just merge into each other. I know there was an issue with them on mobiles. If this was an attempt to fix it, it didn't work.

CHEERS!

View user profile

116 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I've noticed a lack of line spacing with long thread titles. They just merge into each other. I know there was an issue with them on mobiles. If this was an attempt to fix it, it didn't work.

No, the issues are unrelated. The overly-small spacing between two lines of a longer topic title has been an issue since the very start. I have looked in the help forum for an easy fix, but didn't find an exact match. Moreover, still uncomfortable messing with the coding. While slightly unsightly, it is still perfectly readable (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it looks different to others), so I have not tried to do more with it.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

117 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Fair enough, you can live with it.

CHEERS!

View user profile

118 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 am

I tried loading normal iPhone pics into the Servimg hosting site today, and it’s telling me they exceed allowable size. They are the same as in the past, so I’m assuming they’ve changed their limit? For example, I just tried to load the same pic from last week that’s 1.56 MB, and it’s bejng rejected.

View user profile

119 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:03 am

The app seems to be working today. Must have been glitching .

View user profile

120 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MarkEl, there seems to be a 1.5 or 2 MB limit for individual uploadable image size, if memory serves. Also, there are only so many images you can queue up to upload simultaneously, but I forget the number.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

121 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 am

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:there are only so many images you can queue up to upload simultaneously, but I forget the number.

I find it varies, probably due to image size (21 - 25 pics at a time).


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

122 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:54 am

Has something happened to the post counts?

It's showing I have 49, but I know I have 98 and can find them all using the 'My Posts' link.

Not that post count is important, but it's strange to see them displayed as exactly half of actual.

confused


_________________
View user profile

123 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Has something happened to the post counts? It's showing I have 49, but I know I have 98 and can find them all using the 'My Posts' link. Not that post count is important, but it's strange to see them displayed as exactly half of actual. confused

If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

124 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:13 am

GubernatorFan wrote:If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.

Thanks for the explanation. Post count isn't important to me, it was just an odd thing to see.

Something obviously happened overnight.




_________________
View user profile

125 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:23 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Post count isn't important to me, it was just an odd thing to see. Something obviously happened overnight.

I suppose it was bound to have side effects. Not a biggie, but annoying nonetheless. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience, but it was the best/only solution.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

126 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 am

GubernatorFan wrote:I suppose it was bound to have side effects. Not a biggie, but annoying nonetheless. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience, but it was the best/only solution.

No problem at all.

Smile


_________________
View user profile

127 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm

GubernatorFan wrote:If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.

Thank you for the update, I was really wondering what was going on here last night and I did see DFC melt down post and I was very surprised by it and I have noticed that he was demoted too also what happened to the original Dirty Dozen thread and all the other threads before Apr 07, 2018 that simply disappeared were they a casualty of DFC's or is there a cut off point on the forum?


_________________
View user profile

128 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Hi BAD WOLF -- everything that was erased but had been posted before May 30 has been restored and measures were taken to contain any further damage. Some items posted by him after the backup date of May 30 may have disappeared for good, if he has erased them.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

129 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey y`all, i`m pretty lost lol Need to figure our the structure of the forum:) Is there any "custom" section?)))))))))) I`m Scaletta studio owner aka Woodrob at ssf:)

View user profile

130 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
Hi. Right now we don’t have anything set aside for customs, though there is a separate section outside the General Talk area  called Your First Classifieds (be advised that Forumotion has guidelines, just like SF, about copyright infringement). You can post your stuff in the General Section,  but we’d prefer if you limit the business end (ie, costs, sales, etc.) through the private message system. We don’t want to draw the same kind of unwanted attention that SF did. Hope that’s okay with you.

And welcome aboard.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

131 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:45 pm


How do I get permission to create a new post on the General Talk page?

View user profile

132 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:52 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:How do I get permission to create a new post on the General Talk page?

You should not need a permission (I checked out your profile and doesn't indicate any limitation). Just click on the "New Topic" button and start your new topic/thread.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

133 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately, on Chrome, the new topic button does not appear. I am using Safari on PC and it shows the new topic button, multi quote, quote, and post reply. The whole entire top bar is missing when I use Chrome.

View user profile

134 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:Thank you. Unfortunately, on Chrome, the new topic button does not appear. I am using Safari on PC and it shows the new topic button, multi quote, quote, and post reply. The whole entire top bar is missing when I use Chrome.

I am glad you have found a workaround (Safari on PC). It is possible that either Chrome or Forumotion (or each) has undergone some update and there are some glitches like that. We have changed nothing in the configuration of our own site on our end. I imagine glitches will be resolved (hopefully shortly), but if not, let me know and I can try the Forumotion support people.

To that end, can another Chrome user please check and see if they are experiencing the same issue (on a PC, I assume)?


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

135 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:31 am

GubernatorFan wrote:
MerylAkiba wrote:Thank you. Unfortunately, on Chrome, the new topic button does not appear. I am using Safari on PC and it shows the new topic button, multi quote, quote, and post reply. The whole entire top bar is missing when I use Chrome.

I am glad you have found a workaround (Safari on PC). It is possible that either Chrome or Forumotion (or each) has undergone some update and there are some glitches like that. We have changed nothing in the configuration of our own site on our end. I imagine glitches will be resolved (hopefully shortly), but if not, let me know and I can try the Forumotion support people.

To that end, can another Chrome user please check and see if they are experiencing the same issue (on a PC, I assume)?

no, I'm using Windows 7 PC and Chrome.

Hosted on Fotki
Top of the page

Hosted on Fotki
Bottom of the page

I hope this helps?


_________________
View user profile

136 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Thank you for checking, Bad Wolf. MerylAkiba, what system are you running?


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

137 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:05 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:Unfortunately, on Chrome, the new topic button does not appear. The whole entire top bar is missing when I use Chrome.

I haven't heard back from you on the previous question (about what system you are using), but given that Bad Wolf is not having issues with Chrome on PC, I suspect this is a problem likely to be specific to your setup. It reminds me a little of an issue user ostfront43 had right after we started this forum -- and the problem was a virus protection setting. Check out post 27 in this topic/thread (page 1) and maybe the posts leading up to it or following it, just in case this helps. Admittedly, ostfront43 wasn't using Chrome. Hope this helps.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

138 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:09 am

Thank you GubernatorFan. I was running Kapersky on Windows7. Same exact problem. All buttons and forumotion taskbar are visible now.

View user profile

139 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:32 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:Thank you GubernatorFan. I was running Kapersky on Windows7. Same exact problem. All buttons and forumotion taskbar are visible now.

I am glad it worked out!


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

140 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 am

Just thought I'd mention that the site's been playing up the last few days for me running Win 10 using Firefox, my browser's menu toolbar links for this site don't seem to work any more nor do Google searches. I only got back into the site via an email link...odd and a bit worrying.

View user profile

141 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:41 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Just thought I'd mention that the site's been playing up the last few days for me running Win 10 using Firefox, my browser's menu toolbar links for this site don't seem to work any more nor do Google searches. I only got back into the site via an email link...odd and a bit worrying.

This is odd. I use Windows 10 with Firefox and haven't had any of these problems. There was some sort of overall Forumotion upgrade recently and at one point I noticed a slowdown in the connection that might have been while they were upgrading, but access is back to normal speed now (and has been for a couple of days). I don't know what about your system is causing hickups (MerylAkiba's experience reminds us that anti-virus settings can play a role), but it would appear to be a localized issue rather than a general problem with the site. Also, I just did a Google search for onesixthfigures and our site shows up as the third hit. While this is a workaround rather than fix, I would suggest making a new bookmark, if you haven't done so already.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

142 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am

That did the trick, cheers! My setting may still be a bit off kilter after that power outage yesterday.

View user profile

143 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:53 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:That did the trick, cheers! My setting may still be a bit off kilter after that power outage yesterday.

Not sure how I helped, but I am very happy it has improved. I find it offensive that you suffered a power outage. No one deserves that, but least of all you. Cheers!


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

144 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 am

GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:That did the trick, cheers! My setting may still be a bit off kilter after that power outage yesterday.

Not sure how I helped, but I am very happy it has improved. I find it offensive that you suffered a power outage. No one deserves that, but least of all you. Cheers!

LOL cheers! It's an old house with dodgy plumbing and electrics so steam from the shower trips the the mains sometimes, nothing serious or anyone's fault well maybe the landlord's but I'm not making an issue out of it since I don't want a rent increase! Computer doesn't like it much even when it's shut down as the battery back up on the mother board doesn't work... Embarassed

View user profile

145 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:LOL cheers! It's an old house with dodgy plumbing and electrics so steam from the shower trips the the mains sometimes, nothing serious or anyone's fault well maybe the landlord's but I'm not making an issue out of it since I don't want a rent increase! Computer doesn't like it much even when it's shut down as the battery back up on the mother board doesn't work... Embarassed

Well at least we know you're squeaky clean! Smile


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

146 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:20 am

Hi all,
Maybe someone can help me. I'm ready to start posting my work here. I wanted to use servimg. It seemed pretty simple. I obviously have an account here, so I should be good to go. When I try logging in to servimg.com using my login info from here, it says there is no account with my e-mail or password. I researched it. So, I set up a forum on forumotion. I then tried logging into servimg with my new forumotion log in info and the same thing happened. I then joined my own forum as a guest and that login info didn't work either.

What am I missing?


Thanks,

Mark aka delusional

View user profile

147 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Hi Mark,

Having a membership or ownership of a forum on Forumotion does not mean you have an automatic matching Servimg account. You have to create one of those. Your username and password might be the same as the ones you use here (if that is what you choose to do), but you still have to specify them when you set up your Servimg account. Also, to log into Servimg, you need not a username by itself, but an e-mail address (whether or not the e-mail and account names are the same, it will need to be whatever @ whatever . whatever).

Hope this helps.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

148 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks Gubernatorfan,
I figured it out. You have to upload and post an image in a message here to create an account.

View user profile

149 Re: Help needed with forum tech on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:55 pm

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
I am glad it worked out.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum