OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help needed with forum tech

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

81Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 am

scalawag

scalawag
I am now using imgur which I find very simple, seems to work everywhere I post, and is pretty much the same as PB used to be but without so many adds and pop ups.

I took a break from posting pics at all after the PB thing went on and only started to post pics again here when the forum opened.

As to my old posts its a shame that they now don't have pics but I don't see that as my fault.  I really doubt that anyone will ever read most of them again anyway, and I still have the original pics on my Computer.

I would happily pay extra for a hosting service, paying for it is not the issue for me with PB.  It was the way in which they decided to ask me to pay, which was tantamount to a ransom demand on all of my previously posted pics, And that they made the change overnight with no warning to people using their services.  Its the company I object too, not the fees.

If Imgur asked me nicely today to start paying for hosting then I would have no hesitation in saying to them how much?  But I will not pay money to an immoral and bullying company like PB.

82Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I simply had to post pics, so when PB did what it did, I knew I needed somewhere else and fast. Shovelchop had been using Imgur and I have ever since. You can use forum code to get the pic here and it's here without needing to link back to them. I also had all the originals stored, but, certainly didn't want the hassle of going back through old threads that didn't get read much just to put pics back that wouldn't get seen much anyway.

Being as money isn't the issue it used to be, I too would pay to use Imgur, if it came to it.

CHEERS!

83Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's something odd that may be of use to TankGirlFuzzy:

From my Imgur account, I copied the BBC url code, and as I was typing the last entry in my Man Cave thread, I simply pasted what I copied into the box where I was typing (bypassing the menu bar above completely -- i.e., didn't use "host an image" or "insert image" buttons), and it worked. Picture is visible for me. However: I DID NOT try to "Edit" that post again (I seem to encounter weird things with my pics of late if I try to correct the usual "auto-correct" so-called fixes.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 TCFITBi

84Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:01 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Tank Girl, like I tried to explain before, the overly direct association between Forumotion and Servimg was probably intended for convenience. I would imagine that if you tried the Host an Image function (which goes through Servimg) which has been working as a workaround, the system automatically initiated the opening of a Servimg account. And while that may have been unexpected and intrusive, it was probably not nefarious. The other issue, about those annoying ad redirects, is an unfortunately frequent reality with pay and free sites alike; sometimes our anti virus and ad block features keep it at bay but occasionally something sneaks through and we have to ignore, close, or get back from it. I have encountered it very rarely with Servimg, which does not detract from how annoying and unsettling it can be. But Servimg itself is not malware and I don't think there is a conspiracy. Given the amount of work you have posted on Photobucket and the amount of money you pay them, I cannot blame you for insisting on being able to use images hosted there on this forum. I hope the issue will be resolved soon, and we will keep you (and everyone else) posted.

85Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Here's something odd that may be of use to TankGirlFuzzy:

From my Imgur account, I copied the BBC url code, and as I was typing the last entry in my Man Cave thread, I simply pasted what I copied into the box where I was typing (bypassing the menu bar above completely -- i.e., didn't use "host an image" or "insert image" buttons), and it worked. Picture is visible for me. However: I DID NOT try to "Edit" that post again (I seem to encounter weird things with my pics of late if I try to correct the usual "auto-correct" so-called fixes.

Do you mean you used the Copy function from Imgur's 'Get share links' menu? If so, that's what I've always done, even with PB.

CHEERS!

86Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:20 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Do you mean you used the Copy function from Imgur's 'Get share links' menu? If so, that's what I've always done, even with PB.

CHEERS!

No. In the BBC code window where it shows the link address, I just copied that and pasted it like I was copying and pasting text. Worked just fine.

87Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Yeah, [img ]your pic[/img ], that kind of thing, that's what I meant.

CHEERS!

88Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh. Yeah. Exactly that.

89Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I posted a follow up to the query with the image code from blackpool's thread to see if that may shed some insight.

No update yet.

90Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
4/22 UPDATE

The Forumotion tech is asking if we/the member with the issue contacted PhotoBucket?

I replied as far as we know all is fine on PhotoBucket's end.

Can Tank Girl or blackpool contact PhotoBucket to inquire if they made any changes on their end recently affecting how image links are not properly showing up specific to Forumotion discussion groups?

91Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Oh. Yeah. Exactly that.

Ok, well, in that case, maybe TGF can try doing that and we'll see what happens.

CHEERS!

92Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
In a private message Tank Girl mentioned she has sent an e-mail to Photobucket. Apparently she is still waiting to hear back.

93Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Ok, Stryker reckoned he could see the pics again, but I couldn't.

CHEERS!

94Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Ok, Stryker reckoned he could see the pics again, but I couldn't.

I have already posted this in several places but see here:

Looks like they fixed the issue. Curious detail: when I tried to view the photos (I'm using Firefox in Windows 10), I would see them flicker every time I reloaded this page, but then they would hide. I thought it had something to do with my ad blocker, but it didn't. Eventually I got them to show by disabling (yes, disabling!) one of my two photobucket image fix add-ons (the one called "Photobucket Embedded Image Fix", as opposed to "photobucket embed fix").

95Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 pm

scalawag

scalawag
TGF's pics are visible for me again now.  I made no changes to my set up (Safari 11.1 on a Mac).

Just thought it would be helpful for you to know they work again for me.

96Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:15 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
blackpool's and TGF's PB hosted images are now viewable on all browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) with no issues and no need for any PB "fix" extensions.

Hopefully, blackpool and TGF will chime in further to verify on their end as well.

97Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:50 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I posted this in the other sticky thread, but the issue is spread over so many threads I wanted to make sure my feedback was seen:

Everything is working for me now across all devices. For my laptop, I did literally nothing and the pics started showing again. For my iPads, I had to clear the caches (website data) and everything showed up again.

So, here's the interesting thing, it may not have been Forumotion's fault after all. I received an email reply this morning (Monday) from PB support and here's what they said:

Thanks for reaching out.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your embedded images. We did experience some issues on Friday where some of the embedded images stopped displaying. However, this issue was resolved immediately.
[emphasis mine]
I also checked the thread that you shared and I was able to view all your images/gifs. If some of the forum members are not seeing your images, they may just need to clear their browser's cache and cookies to see the updated page.

Let me know if you still continue to see issues with your images after clearing your browser's cache and cookies.

Thank you,
However, it was odd that my PB pics were showing up on OSW, SSF, and 6thD/SAG, but not Forumotion. So it seems something specific to PB and how it is read by Forumotion was an issue, but PB is acknowledging that they did have a problem on Friday (which is the exact day I noticed it and started posting about it). I take their claim that it was "resolved immediately" with a pound of salt, since it actually only started working for everyone this morning. I guess by "immediately" they meant "by the next business day," which is unfortunate since it was over a weekend and we were all tearing our hair out for almost three days trying to find a solution. Rolling Eyes Mad

All's well that ends well, I guess. I apologize for wasting people's time and energy trying to chase down a solution, and for causing a bit of drama, but I'm thankful for all the genuine concern and effort by all who pitched in. I suppose the good thing is there is now a knowledge base here about how to best post pics, what works and what doesn't, and some of the specific quirks of each hosting service. Both Forumotion and Photobucket support responded rather quickly to our enquiries, which is good, although in the end it was really nothing that we did that caused it nor fixed it (other than fiddling with our specific devices and clearing caches, etc.).

Thanks again to all, especially for GFan's patience, DFC's relentless pursuit of FM's support, and all the other members who chimed in and tested and posted to get to the bottom of it (Stryker, rogerbee, Kukolka, and everyone else I'm neglecting to mention (this is like an Oscar speech!)). Razz

98Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 am

MarkEl

Technical issue. There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice. I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.

99Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:Technical issue.  There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice.  I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.  

I think this is just a limitation of the system.

100Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
GubernatorFan wrote:
MarkEl wrote:Technical issue.  There doesn’t seem to be a way of removing a poll choice.  I ticked a choice in the ‘which should we produce next?’ poll without fully reading the next post and their expectations on the thread.  

I think this is just a limitation of the system.

--

So I decided to create a poll and . . .

Wink Razz

http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t211-test-poll-for-my-own-edification-and-probably-some-of-you

101Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

ZombieKev

I want to suggest tweaking the styling for mobile. When viewing the forum on a mobile phone in portrait mode, so little of the thread titles are visible that they are basically meaningless. Even if you turn the phone sideways to landscape (which is not necessary for most sites these days), there still isn't a ton of text. My suggestion would be to reduce the size of thread title font or show 2 lines of text for titles.

102Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun May 20, 2018 10:34 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hi Zombiekev,
Apparently this is beyond the basic capabilities of this free forum, unless perhaps one messes with the code, which is beyond me and I would not want to mess anything up. And I mean no offense to remind you that these forums are not exactly designed for browsing-by-phone. What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.

103Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun May 20, 2018 10:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.

That could even be problematic for New Product threads, as the titles can be long.

104Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 am

ZombieKev

GubernatorFan wrote:Hi Zombiekev,
Apparently this is beyond the basic capabilities of this free forum, unless perhaps one messes with the code, which is beyond me and I would not want to mess anything up. And I mean no offense to remind you that these forums are not exactly designed for browsing-by-phone. What we can do is limit the number of words (or rather characters) a thread title would contain, but I suppose that would be quite unpopular.

Hmm, I don't think limiting the number of characters in the title would help mobile users see more of the titles, so probably should avoid that. I do have a web dev background, so I'll see if I can setup a forumotion free account and play with the settings in there. I'll let you know if I see an easy solution.

In any case, thanks for looking into it!

105Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Sounds like a plan, we could do with some experienced hands on the tiller.

CHEERS!

106Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ZombieKev, the titles wrap for me, showing on two or more lines if necessary. It now occurs to me that you may have been talking about what you see on the forum home page rather than what you see on the general talk page. If that is the case, I changed a setting so that more of the title would show there (it was cutting off at 16 characters before). Take a look and see if this has taken care of the issue for you.

107Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm

ZombieKev

GubernatorFan wrote:ZombieKev, the titles wrap for me, showing on two or more lines if necessary. It now occurs to me that you may have been talking about what you see on the forum home page rather than what you see on the general talk page. If that is the case, I changed a setting so that more of the title would show there (it was cutting off at 16 characters before). Take a look and see if this has taken care of the issue for you.

I was talking about the General Talk page unfortunately. The idea being that mobile users could scan the list of threads without clicking into them to find out what they're even about. No worries. Thanks for trying in any case!

108Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue May 22, 2018 7:01 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ZombieKev wrote:I was talking about the General Talk page unfortunately.  The idea being that mobile users could scan the list of threads without clicking into them to find out what they're even about.  No worries.  Thanks for trying in any case!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry I don't know how to improve that part of your experience. On my interface (but it is a desktop/laptop), the titles do wrap. You could try searching the support forum at http://help.forumotion.com/ , though my searches turned up nothing more helpful.

109Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 pm

ZombieKev

So I spun up a forumotion account for testing. Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices. This is like OSW before the redesign. So everything is shown but it's tiny.
- Add new CSS/code in the backend
- User can install the eTopic mobile app to view (tho it ends up not showing any more than the website!)

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change. I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now. I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

110Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ZombieKev wrote:So I spun up a forumotion account for testing.  Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices.  This is like OSW before the redesign.  So everything is shown but it's tiny.
- User can install the eTopic mobile app to view (tho it ends up not showing any more than the website!)

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change.  I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now.  I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

Unless you explain what exactly "add new CSS/code in the backend" means. If it means paste some extra text at the very end of the code (and it will not change anything else), it can probably be done.

111Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu May 24, 2018 1:58 pm

ZombieKev

GubernatorFan wrote:
ZombieKev wrote:So I spun up a forumotion account for testing.  Here are the options:

- Make forum show desktop view even on mobile devices.  This is like OSW before the redesign.  So everything is shown but it's tiny.

1 and 3 aren't great experiences and 2 means I'd need admin access and have to maintain the code if things ever change.  I'd say we should just leave it all alone for now.  I can view the site on my PC.
I'll live. Smile

Unless you explain what exactly "add new CSS/code in the backend" means. If it means paste some extra text at the very end of the code (and it will not change anything else), it can probably be done.

I only saw that forumotion offered the option to stick in your CSS, so presumably it can be changed. But the process of determining the exact code change needed, making sure it triggers only on some mobile views and testing to see if it adversely affects any other part of the site is a lot of work. Also, if forumotion updates their own code in the meantime, no guarantee that code doesn't screw up something else. Having users turn the phone sideways doesn't seem that bad in comparison.

112Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I've noticed a lack of line spacing with long thread titles. They just merge into each other. I know there was an issue with them on mobiles. If this was an attempt to fix it, it didn't work.

CHEERS!

113Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I've noticed a lack of line spacing with long thread titles. They just merge into each other. I know there was an issue with them on mobiles. If this was an attempt to fix it, it didn't work.

No, the issues are unrelated. The overly-small spacing between two lines of a longer topic title has been an issue since the very start. I have looked in the help forum for an easy fix, but didn't find an exact match. Moreover, still uncomfortable messing with the coding. While slightly unsightly, it is still perfectly readable (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it looks different to others), so I have not tried to do more with it.

114Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Fair enough, you can live with it.

CHEERS!

115Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 am

MarkEl

I tried loading normal iPhone pics into the Servimg hosting site today, and it’s telling me they exceed allowable size. They are the same as in the past, so I’m assuming they’ve changed their limit? For example, I just tried to load the same pic from last week that’s 1.56 MB, and it’s bejng rejected.

116Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:03 am

MarkEl

The app seems to be working today. Must have been glitching .

117Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl, there seems to be a 1.5 or 2 MB limit for individual uploadable image size, if memory serves. Also, there are only so many images you can queue up to upload simultaneously, but I forget the number.

118Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:there are only so many images you can queue up to upload simultaneously, but I forget the number.

I find it varies, probably due to image size (21 - 25 pics at a time).

119Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:54 am

Asta

Asta
Has something happened to the post counts?

It's showing I have 49, but I know I have 98 and can find them all using the 'My Posts' link.

Not that post count is important, but it's strange to see them displayed as exactly half of actual.

confused

120Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Has something happened to the post counts? It's showing I have 49, but I know I have 98 and can find them all using the 'My Posts' link. Not that post count is important, but it's strange to see them displayed as exactly half of actual. confused

If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.

121Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:13 am

Asta

Asta
GubernatorFan wrote:If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.

Thanks for the explanation. Post count isn't important to me, it was just an odd thing to see.

Something obviously happened overnight.

122Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:23 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Post count isn't important to me, it was just an odd thing to see. Something obviously happened overnight.

I suppose it was bound to have side effects. Not a biggie, but annoying nonetheless. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience, but it was the best/only solution.

123Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 am

Asta

Asta
GubernatorFan wrote:I suppose it was bound to have side effects. Not a biggie, but annoying nonetheless. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience, but it was the best/only solution.

No problem at all.

Smile

124Help needed with forum tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Help needed with forum tech on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
GubernatorFan wrote:If you can actually find all your posts, I wouldn't worry about it. The post count change is probably a byproduct of us having to use a posts restore from the backup, after a great number of (his own) posts were erased by DFC, thereby putting many of the forum conversations into disarray. We felt it is best to restore them, having determined that nothing would be lost in the process.

Thank you for the update, I was really wondering what was going on here last night and I did see DFC melt down post and I was very surprised by it and I have noticed that he was demoted too also what happened to the original Dirty Dozen thread and all the other threads before Apr 07, 2018 that simply disappeared were they a casualty of DFC's or is there a cut off point on the forum?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum