OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HENGTOYS: 1/6 Persian Empire Series-Elephant Soldiers & Elephant Captains & War Elephants (# PE-001 / 2/3)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Moonbase Alpha Male

GubernatorFan wrote:Sorry, I missed this post before. You make very good points. Yes, Pier 1 Imports or similar stores might have some elephant statues that would work in a pinch, although the style and size would narrow down the potential selection considerably. It is believed Hannibal would have used (primarily) African forest elephants which are a now extinct subspecies, and considerably shorter in stature than the African elephants that still exist. The Persians would have used Indian elephants, and some of those might have been used even by Hannibal, because of the tradition of their use from India to the Mediterranean (including Pyrros of Epirus, who invaded Italy with them in the 280s BC). These would be bigger than the African forest elephants but smaller than the existing African elephants. So maybe the product really is something that was once intended to be Hannibal's elephants (or based on information or imagery related to those). On the other hand, could you imagine if Asmus tried to recreate the "Oliphaunts" from Lord of the Rings? Smile

Very useful and interesting info on Hannibal's elephants, thanks. On the option of using East Indian decor items for 1/6 elephants, whether the dynamic statues or more static elephant coffee tables, you are right that neither would be optimal.  But I am speaking from a very multicultural city (Toronto) so our East Indian goods go deeper than a Pier-1 Imports level (who have gone out of business anyway) but rather a lot of quirky one-off shops, and I've seen a couple of elephants that would have almost worked.  No room for me to collect them but I wish I had at least taken pictures.  Speaking of no room to keep things, wow you're right how amazing Asmus Oliphaunts would be.  In comparison to something we were talking about in the other thread, FIVETOYS: 1/6 guard tower, 1/6th Oliphaunts start to seem more feasible.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Very useful and interesting info on Hannibal's elephants, thanks. On the option of using East Indian decor items for 1/6 elephants, whether the dynamic statues or more static elephant coffee tables, you are right that neither would be optimal.  But I am speaking from a very multicultural city (Toronto) so our East Indian goods go deeper than a Pier-1 Imports level (who have gone out of business anyway) but rather a lot of quirky one-off shops, and I've seen a couple of elephants that would have almost worked.  No room for me to collect them but I wish I had at least taken pictures.  Speaking of no room to keep things, wow you're right how amazing Asmus Oliphaunts would be.  In comparison to something we were talking about in the other thread, FIVETOYS: 1/6 guard tower, 1/6th Oliphaunts start to seem more feasible.

I didn't realize they had shut down. Or that there are more realistic looking elephant decorative options. A statue (effectively) of the right size would be a hefty thing no matter the material (unless it is rubber or Styrofoam). On the other hand, Hasbro's new larger AT-AT and THIS glorious thing (which I regrettably left behind in the great move) are testimony that things of about the right size can be made, and can even be articulated. Oliphaunts are feasible; just not very likely...

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

GubernatorFan wrote:I didn't realize they had shut down. Or that there are more realistic looking elephant decorative options. A statue (effectively) of the right size would be a hefty thing no matter the material (unless it is rubber or Styrofoam). On the other hand, Hasbro's new larger AT-AT and THIS glorious thing (which I regrettably left behind in the great move) are testimony that things of about the right size can be made, and can even be articulated. Oliphaunts are feasible; just not very likely...

For select displays or very specific photo angles, there is always the option of body parts of larger animals. An elephant leg (to pose beside) might not be that hard to make. Something interesting I nearly bought once was a perfectly realized 1/6th elephant half-head (face) made as a wall hanging. It would have made an amazing picture or framed part-display for a 1/6 Tarzan riding Tantor, but beyond that one picture it was of too limited use to justify it. Kind of regret it now though...

Moonbase Alpha Male

Or hey, maybe work with this: https://www.shopmascot.com/realistic-elephant-mascot-costume?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy8f6BRC7ARIsAPIXOjjJH7hlIcYsYSDIAyzSWgQuuj0gvUK0TjizvKtO8VB5JL7H305NItkaArWMEALw_wcB  Smile

historical - NEW PRODUCT: HENGTOYS: 1/6 Persian Empire Series-Elephant Soldiers & Elephant Captains & War Elephants (# PE-001 / 2/3) - Page 2 Ch495611

(or this:  https://www.halloweencostumes.ca/elephant-mask.html?mpid=221182&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy8f6BRC7ARIsAPIXOjiMbrbKEE5cKVXbodTyw6N1J8v9ZPrRVZYFnnmXGPrTDLaZpN8znxQaAmqPEALw_wcB )

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL that would be one big elephant indeed!

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:LOL that would be one big elephant indeed!

I was joking obviously, but here's a version that's not inconceivable for a 1/6 Oliphaunt: (1) use the child-size version of this elephant costume (or other Halloween brands that are cheaper); (2) for support and built-in posability, put a halloween dog skeleton inside, plus padding; and (3) make some tack and armor, and use it to conceal any aspects of the costume that seem too unrealistic or cute. I'm not gonna try it, but maybe we'll see something like that someday. The wide range of Halloween Skeleton animals already work well for Conan, MOTU, things like that.

agentghost

agentghost
so how large would a realistic 1/6 war elephant be?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
agentghost wrote:so how large would a realistic 1/6 war elephant be?

In sixth scale, the average Asian war elephant would be about 46 cm tall at the shoulder.

shazzdan

shazzdan
GubernatorFan wrote:
agentghost wrote:so how large would a realistic 1/6 war elephant be?

In sixth scale, the average Asian war elephant would be about 46 cm tall at the shoulder.

A typical Asian elephant would be around 46 cm but war elephants were selected from the largest males. 50-55 cm would be a more realistic 1:6 size for an Asian war elephant.

Add a "me too" for a 1:6 Oliphaunt.

Valiarde

Valiarde
shazzdan wrote:
Valiarde wrote:I like the second figure as a base for Saladin. Interested to use as a base figure. Nice

Saladin lived around 300 years before most of this equipment was being used. Saladin was a Kurd, and the Kurds were predominantly heavy cavalry at the time. He would have had a lance and straight sword, and worn long-sleeved mail or a kazaghand (cloth-covered mail) with mail leggings, and forearm and shin guards. No bow, no curved sword, and no char-ayna plate armour. You could use the above helmet and forearm bracers but that is about it. The only real difference between Kurdish equipment and Crusader equipment were round shields and conical helmets.

There is an anecdote where Saladin was saved from an assassin's garotte because he slept with a mail collar on his neck but it was small and light enough to be concealed under his clothing so the above mail collar is probably too substantial to be appropriate for Saladin.

Thanks for the info. I did not buy it and also read quiet a bit more about historic stuff this year. Smile I liked you post.

Here is Poptoys prototype take on Saladin by the way:
historical - NEW PRODUCT: HENGTOYS: 1/6 Persian Empire Series-Elephant Soldiers & Elephant Captains & War Elephants (# PE-001 / 2/3) - Page 2 120610360_4634992599875963_4042200069201476693_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_eui2=AeH3WuKCnVc7FvN85EegH8Qem8i3pB1nmwmbyLekHWebCeOBxOM25coFnndZVGkoJCSaI0yHMr1PaM3WfsE1tWBj&_nc_ohc=16zfyPm9WnMAX-ftglI&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1

shazzdan

shazzdan
Thanks for the support. The Poptoys figure has some cool accessories, but not for Saladin. Curved swords, like the scimitar, didn't see much use in the Middle East until the Ottoman Period - well after Saladin's time. Before that, they were mainly used by Turks. Saladin would have had a straight sword just like the Crusaders. The kanjar knife he has is Turkish as well. It was introduced to the Middle East by the Ottomans, just like the scimitar, so Saladin wouldn't have had one of those either.

One of the best books on the subject is this one (Full disclosure: I was technical editor for a couple of chapters).

https://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/books/reviews/arms-and-armor-from-iran-3/
https://www.amazon.com/Arms-Armor-Iran-Bronze-Period/dp/3932942221

historical - NEW PRODUCT: HENGTOYS: 1/6 Persian Empire Series-Elephant Soldiers & Elephant Captains & War Elephants (# PE-001 / 2/3) - Page 2 Teaserbox_2454414077

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you, appreciated. But I have many books at home yet to read about european medieval arms and armors I can't justify another book for this special topic right now. One day... Smile

Was just thinking I need a base figure for a Saladin someday and the persian guy and the poptoys both have some nice parts (and some fantasy parts, like the scimitars you mentioned)
Maybe I just need a helmet and upper armor and go from there

shazzdan

shazzdan
If you are interested in European medieval armour, get a hold of Claude Blair's European Armour. It is a little dated today but it is still by far the best book on the subject. Don't read anything else until you've read this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum