OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Hasbro Solo 12" figures

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 11:09 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hasbro has a near monopoly on the more affordable lines of Star Wars action figure collectibles, and it has a variety of lines and sublines of related products. For a while they brought us some high quality "super articulated" (14 points of articulation) action figures in the "classic" scale (3.75"), which they later abandoned for nicely sculpted and painted but underarticulated (5 points) figures; lately, they have brought back some of the "super articulated" figures with the nostalgic classical packaging; unfortunately (from my perspective), these have tended to be from the sequel trilogy rather than the original one (which remains my main interest). The Hasbro "Black Series" also includes a line of "super articulated" 6" figures, which have been quite good on the whole -- certainly in terms of articulations, and in many (if not all) cases in terms of quality of sculpt and paint.

Then there are their larger figures. But whether these are 1/4 (?) scale or 1/6 scale, and whether they are just regular figures or have electronic/sound features, these have been disappointingly underarticulated. I generally ignore them completely, except for the Rogue One stormtroopers, who have yielded up their nicely sculpted and proportional helmets for the use of my nicely-articulated Bandai models. But with the new Star Wars movie Solo coming up, we see products related to that film crop up in all Hasbro lines. I don't know how much of this will be translated into high-end sixth-scale collectables (besides, of course, the protagonists), so I did look at it. Especially the imperial troopers. In the tradition of Star Wars films, we are served with additional and increasingly dubious trooper types: the dirty and slightly modified Mimban Stormtrooper, the Ranger Trooper, the Mud Trooper, and the Patrol Trooper. Why regular stormtroopers and scout troopers could not have made do (besides the occasion for additional toy designs) remains (and will surely remain) a mystery. I suppose not everyone is like me, willing to shell out more money for already-existing trooper types. To add to the annoyance, so far they seem to be scattered among different lines: the Mud Trooper is 1/4 (?) scale, the Ranger Trooper is 6" (1/12 scale), the Mimban Stormtrooper is 3.75" (there might be a different scale version too), and the Patrol Trooper is 12" (1/6 scale). Perhaps eventually we'll get more of them in the same scale -- these products have a notably poor consistency of distribution, as Michael Crawford has pointed out.

I picked up Hasbro's basic 12" Han Solo and Patrol Trooper. At first sight I was impressed with the former's head sculpt, and I thought the Patrol Trooper might come in handy for kitbashing later on. The figures appear to be slightly under scale, closer to the 11.5" mark. As I expected, the articulation is atrocious: we are back to the old Kenner 3.75" five-point articulation, except that the hands can also rotate around the axis of the wrists. The paint application is also pretty poor: this is more visible on the Patrol Trooper where we need clean lines (ironically, it seems to be worst on the helmet, where it should be best), but also on some spots of Han, too (for example, the hair around and especially behind the ears). A repaint might help both. The sculpts are very good overall, especially considering that these were being sold for $8. In both cases the belts are (or were) a separate, softer-plastic piece affixed into place. The Patrol Trooper's lenses and Han's buckle are given appropriately glossy or shiny paint finishes; Han's eyes feature the dreaded paint dot. The Patrol Trooper design looks like a Stormtrooper, Scarif/Beach Trooper, and a Scout Trooper had some unholy union and somehow produced a bouncing baby boy featuring aspects of each type, vaguely reminiscent of things we end up seeing in the sequel trilogy; that said it is marginally cool-looking, or it would be, if it were not so transparently derivative and unnecessary. I suspect the same could be said for the other new trooper types.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the figures:

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Solopa10

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Solopa11

#starwars #solo #stormtrooper #male #fiction #hasbro #disney


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

2stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 2:26 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
OOH! The Patrol Trooper looks wicked! I need a couple! Any pics of Han coming?

3stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:OOH! The Patrol Trooper looks wicked! I need a couple! Any pics of Han coming?

Well, as I said, the Patrol Trooper needs repainting (especially the helmet) and articulation. If anyone can do that, it would be you (I always think of you when I encounter these underarticulated figures). As for Han, didn't you see him right next to the trooper? Or was this a joke? Smile


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

4stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 4:16 pm

scalawag

scalawag
eurcch!!!! another unnecessary trooper type. So do standard TK troopers not patrol now then!!!! I understand that this is driven by marketing which Disney and Lucusfilm excellent at but for me it is pushing things too far really. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


_________________
I can't see the trees for the Forest
stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Yv5cCVM

5stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 5:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:eurcch!!!! another unnecessary trooper type.  So do standard TK troopers not patrol now then!!!!  I understand that this is driven by marketing which Disney and Lucusfilm excellent at but for me it is pushing things too far really. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Right. Not bad at all in terms of appearance, but completely unnecessary, along with the other three new types (unless perhaps you explain the "Mud Troopers" as what we call "AT-ST drivers" -- actually standard army personnel -- wearing extra gear).


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

6stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Selling more toys is all most of these types of movies are about; quality writing, stories and acting be damned. That’s pretty much been the name of the game since the end of the ‘80s.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures TCFITBi

7stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:OOH! The Patrol Trooper looks wicked! I need a couple! Any pics of Han coming?

Well, as I said, the Patrol Trooper needs repainting (especially the helmet) and articulation. If anyone can do that, it would be you (I always think of you when I encounter these underarticulated figures). As for Han, didn't you see him right next to the trooper? Or was this a joke? Smile

scalawag wrote:eurcch!!!! another unnecessary trooper type.  So do standard TK troopers not patrol now then!!!!  I understand that this is driven by marketing which Disney and Lucusfilm excellent at but for me it is pushing things too far really. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

GubernatorFan wrote:
scalawag wrote:eurcch!!!! another unnecessary trooper type.  So do standard TK troopers not patrol now then!!!!  I understand that this is driven by marketing which Disney and Lucusfilm excellent at but for me it is pushing things too far really. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Right. Not bad at all in terms of appearance, but completely unnecessary, along with the other three new types (unless perhaps you explain the "Mud Troopers" as what we call "AT-ST drivers" -- actually standard army personnel -- wearing extra gear).

Stryker2011 wrote:Selling more toys is all most of these types of movies are about; quality writing, stories and acting be damned. That’s pretty much been the name of the game since the end of the ‘80s.

I have my monitor zoomed to 133% so Han was cut out of the pic! Embarassed
As for complaining about more trooper types, why? Options are great!! And I love all the variants, really livens up my SW displays, imagine if all we got for The Clone Wars was just one version? How boring would that be? I've got around 15 SSC Clone Troopers and they're all different!
Definitely will be picking a couple of the Patrol Troopers up to upgrade, still got my Shore Troopers, Praetorian Guards and the rest of my FO Troopers to do as well! My dremell's going to hate me!!

8stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 1:19 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:I have my monitor zoomed to 133% so Han was cut out of the pic! Embarassed
As for complaining about more trooper types, why? Options are great!! And I love all the variants, really livens up my SW displays, imagine if all we got for The Clone Wars was just one version? How boring would that be? I've got around 15 SSC Clone Troopers and they're all different!
Definitely will be picking a couple of the Patrol Troopers up to upgrade, still got my Shore Troopers, Praetorian Guards and the rest of my FO Troopers to do as well! My dremell's going to hate me!!

Oh, ok... lol I thought maybe you weren't accepting another actor as Han... Smile  He's good for a $8 figure (although the articulation is unforgivable), just not as good as I thought he would be when I picked it up.

We've been through this about the trooper types. Lucasfilm and Disney agree with you for financial reasons, so you can take great comfort in this. For me one of the things that made Rogue One so great was that it was set in the universe of the Original Trilogy and felt more like it than the horrible Prequel Trilogy and the ok Sequel Trilogy. And to do so, they reintroduced the trooper types we know and love (regular stormtroopers and TIE-fighter pilots, naval guards and gunners, although they couldn't resist making minor adjustments here and there; and likewise with Star Destroyers and TIE fighters); but they couldn't resist also adding completely unnecessary additional types like the shore/Scarif troopers and Death Troopers and hover-tank and/or AT-whatever pilots (and those new variation of the TIE fighters and imperial shuttles). Infinite variation is unrealistic (Star Trek knows that, for example), unnecessary (why can't we bring back Scout Troopers, AT-AT or AT-ST drivers instead, except to justify more new products for sale), and takes us away from the very thing we are excited to get back to for no good reason (well, those of us who are left wanting more from everything since Episode VI). That a few basic trooper types (of which the Original Trilogy had plenty) may carry differing sets of extra gear in different deployment areas makes sense; but that each world would justify a differing set of trooper types seems unbelievable to me. Yet, if Rogue One had struck something of a balance between resurrection and innovation, what I have seen of Solo previews and products leads me to suspect that this film is taking greater departures and incorporating less continuity. It doesn't look like it has regular stormtroopers, instead using the slightly modified Mimban type (and the modifications, unfortunately and unrealistically, are not simply a matter of lack of cleanliness and some extra gear); it also has Range Troopers and Patrol Troopers (instead of Scout Troopers, presumably, or, if you insist, Shore/Scarif Troopers), and Mud Troopers (instead of regular imperial army?). Other than the star destroyers and TIE fighters, I have seen little or no continuity. Even the Millennium Falcon seems to have a slightly different design, if I can judge by some of the images I have seen. If these unnecessary and unbelievable variations delight you, fine -- it is your personal taste; in mine they are a definite turn off, because they take away from the original unadulterated cool world of Star Wars without adding enough to it (and seem to be an insult to common sense). I may well end up liking some of the additional features (I did decide that Snoke's red guards were pretty cool in the end, albeit unsuccessful), though I doubt I will prefer them over the real (read: original) thing. Again, just a matter of personal taste. As for the Clone Wars, or anything in the Prequel Trilogy and its time, I don't have enough attachment to any of that to have an opinion; I would readily admit that plenty of Clone Trooper types looked very cool, although I do think the leap in appearance between them and the original Stormtroopers, etc, tends to be a bit too large to be convincing for a time period of less than two decades.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

9stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 3:44 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I just enjoy it and don't over think it. Unrealistic? It's SCI-FI in another galaxy and universe as far as we know, too many trooper types? Look at just one county (as a fair comparison to a single ruling power like the Empire) on Earth's military forces for the extensive range of specialists, uniforms, equipment, policing, emergency responders etc..(all roles played by Troopers from what we know) then multiply that by countries with different environments and needs in the way of gear, then planets with completely different environments; I have no idea how the ST's we have now cope! If anything they need a hell of a lot more specialist gear for different conditions and specially trained operators, now that's being more realistic. Do you read all the Star Wars novels? Expanded Universe stuff as well as cannon? If not this may be why our views differ, they offer a lot more insight into the actual capabilities of regular ST's and their limitations in many environments, both technical and ergonomic as well as 'tunnel vision' training regimes.

10stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 4:11 am

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:I have my monitor zoomed to 133% so Han was cut out of the pic! Embarassed
As for complaining about more trooper types, why? Options are great!! And I love all the variants, really livens up my SW displays, imagine if all we got for The Clone Wars was just one version? How boring would that be? I've got around 15 SSC Clone Troopers and they're all different!
Definitely will be picking a couple of the Patrol Troopers up to upgrade, still got my Shore Troopers, Praetorian Guards and the rest of my FO Troopers to do as well! My dremell's going to hate me!!

Oh, ok... lol I thought maybe you weren't accepting another actor as Han... Smile  He's good for a $8 figure (although the articulation is unforgivable), just not as good as I thought he would be when I picked it up.

We've been through this about the trooper types. Lucasfilm and Disney agree with you for financial reasons, so you can take great comfort in this. For me one of the things that made Rogue One so great was that it was set in the universe of the Original Trilogy and felt more like it than the horrible Prequel Trilogy and the ok Sequel Trilogy. And to do so, they reintroduced the trooper types we know and love (regular stormtroopers and TIE-fighter pilots, naval guards and gunners, although they couldn't resist making minor adjustments here and there; and likewise with Star Destroyers and TIE fighters); but they couldn't resist also adding completely unnecessary additional types like the shore/Scarif troopers and Death Troopers and hover-tank and/or AT-whatever pilots (and those new variation of the TIE fighters and imperial shuttles). Infinite variation is unrealistic (Star Trek knows that, for example), unnecessary (why can't we bring back Scout Troopers, AT-AT or AT-ST drivers instead, except to justify more new products for sale), and takes us away from the very thing we are excited to get back to for no good reason (well, those of us who are left wanting more from everything since Episode VI). That a few basic trooper types (of which the Original Trilogy had plenty) may carry differing sets of extra gear in different deployment areas makes sense; but that each world would justify a differing set of trooper types seems unbelievable to me. Yet, if Rogue One had struck something of a balance between resurrection and innovation, what I have seen of Solo previews and products leads me to suspect that this film is taking greater departures and incorporating less continuity. It doesn't look like it has regular stormtroopers, instead using the slightly modified Mimban type (and the modifications, unfortunately and unrealistically, are not simply a matter of lack of cleanliness and some extra gear); it also has Range Troopers and Patrol Troopers (instead of Scout Troopers, presumably, or, if you insist, Shore/Scarif Troopers), and Mud Troopers (instead of regular imperial army?). Other than the star destroyers and TIE fighters, I have seen little or no continuity. Even the Millennium Falcon seems to have a slightly different design, if I can judge by some of the images I have seen. If these unnecessary and unbelievable variations delight you, fine -- it is your personal taste; in mine they are a definite turn off, because they take away from the original unadulterated cool world of Star Wars without adding enough to it (and seem to be an insult to common sense). I may well end up liking some of the additional features (I did decide that Snoke's red guards were pretty cool in the end, albeit unsuccessful), though I doubt I will prefer them over the real (read: original) thing. Again, just a matter of personal taste. As for the Clone Wars, or anything in the Prequel Trilogy and its time, I don't have enough attachment to any of that to have an opinion; I would readily admit that plenty of Clone Trooper types looked very cool, although I do think the leap in appearance between them and the original Stormtroopers, etc, tends to be a bit too large to be convincing for a time period of less than two decades.

I'm very much an Original Trilogy guy, and I just love the original stormtrooper and would love to see more of them again as in Rogue One.  

I agree with GubernatorFan in what he has said in terms of the overall effect on the films of introducing new types.  I would much prefer to see stormtroopers and biker scouts with adapted equipment and added extras than whole new type (again like the Jedda patrol troopers from RO), especially in films which are set within a reasonable time frame either side of the OT.  
You can do what you like in the new trilogy as far as I am concerned as it is not even the Empire we are dealing with any more, invent away Disney just keep it Star Wars.  

I can see the attraction of collecting the different types of trooper, and of course that present lots of possibilities for additional builds, parts, etc...  but I don't really build or adapt any of my Star Wars universe figures anyway and have no plans to start.  
I would much rather collect variants of the original trilogy troopers than complete new types, and in fact the only non OT trooper I have is a FO trooper.

For me it is largely an aesthetic thing too I think, I would rather look at the forms created for the OT than the new ones which seem to borrow heavily from the OT designs, but never really nail it for me.

At the end of the day its each to his own.

Paul


_________________
I can't see the trees for the Forest
stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Yv5cCVM

11stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
To me, Hasbro 12" have, for the most part, been dire. These two are prime examples. Who wants an oversized 3 3/4" figure these days!? Even kids are more sophisticated now and we adults deserve better too. Someone must buy them though, otherwise they wouldn't keep making them.

The Black Series versions of these two might be better though, Hasbro can at least do good 1/12 when they want to.

CHEERS!

12stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 6:19 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:To me, Hasbro 12" have, for the most part, been dire. These two are prime examples. Who wants an oversized 3 3/4" figure these days!?

The Black Series versions of these two might be better though, Hasbro can at least do good 1/12 when they want to.

CHEERS!

Shame they don't oversize those! I wish a KO company did like with so many Transformers and their engineering, production is a lot harder to do! They often improve on the original Hasbro ones too.

13stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:I just enjoy it and don't over think it. Unrealistic? It's SCI-FI in another galaxy and universe as far as we know, too many trooper types? Look at just one county (as a fair comparison to a single ruling power like the Empire) on Earth's military forces for the extensive range of specialists, uniforms, equipment, policing, emergency responders etc..(all roles played by Troopers from what we know) then multiply that by countries with different environments and needs in the way of gear, then planets with completely different environments; I have no idea how the ST's we have now cope! If anything they need a hell of a lot more specialist gear for different conditions and specially trained operators, now that's being more realistic. Do you read all the Star Wars novels? Expanded Universe stuff as well as cannon? If not this may be why our views differ, they offer a lot more insight into the actual capabilities of regular ST's and their limitations in many environments, both technical and ergonomic as well as 'tunnel vision' training regimes.

You are probably definitely right when you say you don't overthink it (and, by extension, that I do). Yes, we have very different views, probably for a wide variety of reasons (also see next). But indeed I don't read Star Wars novels, expanded universe, etc. And my idea of canon is even more exclusive than that currently used by Lucasfilm/Disney. In principle I have no problem with innovation (and moving away from childish stale and repetitive plots might be a good place to start), but that does not mean that all innovation makes sense here. For myth or fiction or any film rendition to resonate, it has to have some grounding in realism, even if aspects of the work (like magic or force or strange creatures) would take us away from what we would consider reality. So, yes, I expect science fiction to be realistic to some extent; being so makes the unrealistic parts work. The empire might be galactic, but it is one military organization, which has been defined (with almost comedic simplicity) as uniform and streamlined. So yes, I would expect just a few trooper types. And where they need to adapt to special conditions, they would get extra gear. So we have regular stormtroopers, "sand troopers," "space troopers," and "snow troopers" (although in the case of the latter, the extra gear replaces the otherwise more uniform armor and helmet) -- all that is fine. Then we have other types of units -- "scout troopers," regular army ("AT-ST drivers"), naval guards ("death star troopers") with uniform variations, gunners with uniform variations, ground crews, naval crews, maintenance ("scan crew"), pilots, heavy machinery drivers (in snow conditions only? -- "AT-AT drivers"), not to mention the imperial royal guards and the various types of officers (most abundant in the original movie) -- still fine, although some of it may be superfluous (should AT-AT and AT-ST be driven by different types of units, and is the AT-AT driver outfit simply the wintry counterpart to the AT-ST driver outfit? Doesn't quite add up, since the AT-AT commander wears the armored version of the AT-ST driver outfit even in a wintry battle scene.). I am just not convinced that given all that, we have any truly justifiable use (other than toy sales) for the "Scarif/shore troopers," "death troopers," "hovertank and/or AT-CT drivers," and revised ground crew we see in Rogue One. The first of these types might as well be "scout troopers" (and they could have been repainted beige if one insisted on a sandy/beachy camouflage); the second is essentially an elite stormtrooper type that doesn't need a new design or color -- maybe they could have given them fancy badges or something; the third could easily have been a welcome and better look at the old "AT-AT drivers" which we barely catch a glimpse of in ESB; the last (groundcrew) is a disappointing revision for the same reason, although here at least it serves a plot point (Jyn needed to hide her face with a closed helmet). Overall, no need for these new designs. They are about as useful as the Ming porcelain stormtrooper that Hot Toys offered some years ago. Again, just my opinion, and I do overthink it.

scalawag wrote:I'm very much an Original Trilogy guy, and I just love the original stormtrooper and would love to see more of them again as in Rogue One.  ...  I would much prefer to see stormtroopers and biker scouts with adapted equipment and added extras than whole new type (again like the Jedda patrol troopers from RO), especially in films which are set within a reasonable time frame either side of the OT. You can do what you like in the new trilogy as far as I am concerned as it is not even the Empire we are dealing with any more, invent away Disney just keep it Star Wars. ... For me it is largely an aesthetic thing too I think, I would rather look at the forms created for the OT than the new ones which seem to borrow heavily from the OT designs, but never really nail it for me. At the end of the day its each to his own.

I think we're largely on the same page. We love the Original Trilogy so much, we want to see more of it, and this type of unrealistic addition takes away from it or gets in the way of that feeling; it is arguably ok for the Prequel and Sequel Trilogies, but not for the world of the Original Trilogy itself. I am not sure in what way you meant to use the example of the Jeddha patrol troopers. They are essentially "sand troopers." Part of me wishes that they had stuck to the original design, although part of me realizes that by not doing that in this instance they were correcting what was essentially a wardrobe/continuity oversight in the original trilogy (where the "sand trooper" outfit was an unfinalized regular stormtrooper one). In a sense, here Rogue One discarded an unnecessary variation, though one we are used to. I am fine with it either way, and my "sand troopers" are in fact the Jeddha version, although the only reasons I haven't picked up the "original sand troopers" instead/as well is my issue with the helmet proportions and brows.

Rogerbee wrote:To me, Hasbro 12" have, for the most part, been dire. These two are prime examples. Who wants an oversized 3 3/4" figure these days!? Even kids are more sophisticated now and we adults deserve better too. Someone must buy them though, otherwise they wouldn't keep making them.

Completely agree. Again, I only picked them up to see if they might be useful for customization. By the way, in this instance (patrol trooper), the helmet really is quite small (possibly a little too small), and the black detailing doesn't help visually (though it does look sorta cool). Are you familiar with an outfit called Gentle Giant? Apparently they make big (1/4 scale?) versions of the old 3.75" figures -- in that case they are banking on nostalgia, but I'm still not having any of that. I wouldn't buy even the more recent underarticulated Hasbro 3.75" figures unless it is for customization (their stormtrooper helmets were better than any we've seen before, so I did get enough to outfit two squads of my older better articulated stormtroopers with them -- unfortunately only one of the several stormtrooper figure releases allowed for an easy and efficient fit).


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

14stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 11:52 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
If you want believable SCi-Fi try watching the TV series 'The Expanse' great show and scientists have been lauding over it's applications of true science, i.e. the effects that being born and raised on a space station would have on genetic evolution and physical appearance etc.. And it stars Thomas Jane of all people, hadn't seen him since 'The Punisher' back in '99! It's up to season 3 now.

15stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 1:45 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:If you want believable SCi-Fi try watching the TV series 'The Expanse'  great show and scientists have been lauding over it's applications of true science, i.e. the effects that being born and raised on a space station would have on genetic evolution and physical appearance etc.. And it stars Thomas Jane of all people, hadn't seen him since 'The Punisher' back in '99! It's up to season 3 now.

I will settle for simply more plausible, but you're right, The Expanse is quite good. I watched the first season, waiting for the next to become available on Amazon Prime.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

16stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I don't mind different versions of troopers, as long as they fit into the chronology. Neater looking Stormies in Rogue One made no sense as it was a direct prequel to ANH. The other trooper designs we saw were good though. When you see massive groups of them, like there were on the Death Star, it's always from a distance so you can't discern different types. With such a massive military presence it's naive to assume that each and every Imperial trooper is going to look the same. There will be different units with different specialties, much like the forces there were in WW2.

I'd love some to army build with and some of the SHF and Black Series might actually allow me to do that when I have more space.

CHEERS!

17stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 3:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I don't mind different versions of troopers, as long as they fit into the chronology. Neater looking Stormies in Rogue One made no sense as it was a direct prequel to ANH. The other trooper designs we saw were good though. When you see massive groups of them, like there were on the Death Star, it's always from a distance so you can't discern different types. With such a massive military presence it's naive to assume that each and every Imperial trooper is going to look the same. There will be different units with different specialties, much like the forces there were in WW2.

I agree with the first sentence completely -- which is why it is arguably fine if the Prequel and Sequel trilogies exhibit a large amount of variation from the Original Trilogy. The Rogue One stormtrooper design differences were cosmetic and not really at issue here, although in principle I agree they really should have been exactly the same as in ANH; but Lucasfilm had already long undermined that consistency by making slight cosmetic differences in stormtrooper design in ESB and ROTJ. The stormtroopers on the Death Star (1 or 2) were exactly the same type, distance or no. We know that, because we know the props. And I am not disputing the realism of having different trooper types and specialties -- just saying we already had plenty, and there has been no good explanation for the existence of the new ones invented in Rogue One or Solo besides "our fans might be too bored with the old ones and not buy more of them unless we come up with something new." I think that to delight you and shovelchop, I shall have to resume my research into new stormtrooper types.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

18stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 4:03 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I think we're just looking at it from different needs/wants. You are concerned about the franchise continuity and a logical timeline for changes in armour etc.. I on the other hand am just looking at it as a 1/6 collector/builder who wants more stuff to work on and display! Smile I think I'm getting too old to be particularly bothered by film nuances as I rarely watch movies now a days and certainly not with the passion I used to have; meds probably don't help either as they control my emotions to make them flat out dull! Wink Embarassed

19stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:I think we're just looking at it from different needs/wants. You are concerned about the franchise continuity and a logical timeline for changes in armour etc.. I on the other hand am just looking at it as a 1/6 collector/builder who wants more stuff to work on and display! Smile  I think I'm getting too old to be particularly bothered by film nuances as I rarely watch movies now a days and certainly not with the passion I used to have

That is probably a fair assessment.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

20stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
The changes in ESB and ROTJ were chronological and indeed logical, but, most came about due to damaged helmet moulds.

CHEERS!

21stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
[quote=GubernatorFan]

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the figures:

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Solopa10

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Solopa11

#starwars #solo #stormtrooper #male #fiction #hasbro #disney[/quote]
Hey Gub,
Is it me, or do you a get a "young Arnold " vibe off the Han head sculpt?

I think the heads for these figures can be great affordable alternatives for kitbashing. The heads on the original Hasbro 12" figures were always a smidge too big, while these seem much better.

As for high end 1/6 figures from the new movie, I think it will be a certainty, even if the movie doesn't score ( I don't know much about it yet, waiting to surprise myself)
Then it will come down to who buys the liscencing versus who offers us "Gambling Space Pilot" , " Furry, Loyal Companion" and "Smooth Talking Confidence Man"

22stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 8:07 am

scalawag

scalawag
I think a lot of the differences in the stormtrooper in the OT really just comes down to the film makers not being so bothered about it all as we are.  If they looked pretty much like the stormtroopers did in the first film then they were OK in V & VI, they didn't have to be exactly the same.  Less access to VHS at the time and no internet meant direct comparisons were almost impossible, and most people would have only seen them at the cinema.  So as long as they were passable they were OK.  Now we can tear them apart and compare and contrast, but who back in 1977 would have thought we would still be talking about Star Wars on such a regular basis 40 years later, let alone that we would be able to peruse UHD screen grabs on our personal computer screens.  
All sorts of things got onto film largely I think because it only had to be good enough.  One of my favourites is this shot with Princess Leia on the Tantive IV.  If you look at the trooper on the far left you can see that his biceps armour is held together with white tape.  It's screen accurate guys Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil We can get all too hooked up on it at times, and loose sight of the overall picture.
Seriously though, I think these dudes look cool  Cool , and when movies are set around the time of the OT we should see more of them, sanitised and spruced up or otherwise Very Happy OT Stormies rock Cool  Cool  Cool

stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures YM6iOgX

Paul


_________________
I can't see the trees for the Forest
stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Yv5cCVM

23stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:The changes in ESB and ROTJ were chronological and indeed logical, but, most came about due to damaged helmet moulds.

To a point, yes. But black-painted frowns, differently-painted mouths, edge of armor trim? Not quite. See also scalawag's post.

Pontiacivan wrote:Is it me, or do you a get a "young Arnold" vibe off the Han head sculpt?

I think the heads for these figures can be great affordable alternatives for kitbashing. The heads on the original Hasbro 12" figures were always a smidge too big, while these seem much better.

As for high end 1/6 figures from the new movie, I think it will be a certainty, even if the movie doesn't score ( I don't know much about it yet, waiting to surprise myself)
Then it will come down to who buys the liscencing versus who offers us "Gambling Space Pilot", "Furry, Loyal Companion" and "Smooth Talking Confidence Man"

Now that you mention it, I can see a bit of a young Arnold vibe. Smile

They do need a repaint (especially the heads), and they should do nicely. Of course, it will require something like shovelchop's skills and ingenuity to make these fully poseable action figures.

I could be wrong, but I think Hot Toys has announced a figure of the young Han. If not, I am sure it will happen. They revel in different stormtrooper types, but we are yet to see what happens here. As for unlicensed versions, this is a franchise that is perhaps least likely to see them -- Lucasfilm and Disney have been quite vigilant (not to say vicious) about protecting their interests, and other than slave Leia, I haven't seen much in the way of SW unlicensed items.

scalawag wrote:I think a lot of the differences in the stormtrooper in the OT really just comes down to the film makers not being so bothered about it all as we are. ... OT Stormies rock Cool  Cool  Cool

I agree completely. ANH stormtroopers "vs" sand troopers are a case in point. The gunners and naval guards on the Death Star (especially in the superlaser shaft shot) are another. ESB's mirrored imperial officers aboard the Star Destroyer, yet another. There were plenty of oversights that were not noticed or corrected, in some cases to this day. And yes, OT Stormies do rock and you can't beat the real thing (to borrow from a Coca Cola commercial slogan).


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

24stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 12:06 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
As for unlicensed versions, this is a franchise that is perhaps least likely to see them -- Lucasfilm and Disney have been quite vigilant (not to say vicious) about protecting their interests, and other than slave Leia, I haven't seen much in the way of SW unlicensed items. wrote:

Very good point, I was just thinking of Hasbro forgetting about the even bigger players behind it all!

25stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
@ Gubernator:

There were a lot more needed in the later movies, it was a a question of large numbers and not much time. Hence the variations you spoke of.

CHEERS!

26stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:@ Gubernator:

There were a lot more needed in the later movies, it was a a question of large numbers and not much time. Hence the variations you spoke of.

Not in ESB, at least (only up to 12 per scene), and plenty of the admittedly many ones (emperor's arrival) in ROTJ were literally painted in. Besides, I am not convinced the alterations made the process faster. I think inconsistency/oversight is the more likely explanation -- to a point. The costumes book by Alinger notes some practical differences (such as liners inside helmets, armor rigging) between the three original films but leaves the design/appearance differences unexplained.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

27stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:@ Gubernator:

There were a lot more needed in the later movies, it was a a question of large numbers and not much time. Hence the variations you spoke of.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:@ Gubernator:

There were a lot more needed in the later movies, it was a a question of large numbers and not much time. Hence the variations you spoke of.

Not in ESB, at least (only up to 12 per scene), and plenty of the admittedly many ones (emperor's arrival) in ROTJ were literally painted in. Besides, I am not convinced the alterations made the process faster. I think inconsistency/oversight is the more likely explanation -- to a point. The costumes book by Alinger notes some practical differences (such as liners inside helmets, armor rigging) between the three original films but leaves the design/appearance differences unexplained.

And the cardboard cut-outs!!! clown Remember them? The arrival of the Emperor on the Death Star scene if memory serves me correctly... Laughing

28stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:And the cardboard cut-outs!!! clown  Remember them? The arrival of the Emperor on the Death Star scene if memory serves me correctly... Laughing

Not sure -- maybe. I do know that some of the rebel troopers at the end of ANH were cardboard cutouts.


_________________
I'll be back!
http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

29stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:@ Gubernator:

There were a lot more needed in the later movies, it was a a question of large numbers and not much time. Hence the variations you spoke of.

Not in ESB, at least (only up to 12 per scene), and plenty of the admittedly many ones (emperor's arrival) in ROTJ were literally painted in. Besides, I am not convinced the alterations made the process faster. I think inconsistency/oversight is the more likely explanation -- to a point. The costumes book by Alinger notes some practical differences (such as liners inside helmets, armor rigging) between the three original films but leaves the design/appearance differences unexplained.

I think too experience was gained from the "promotional" costumes used between the films as these would have potentially been worn for longer periods of time, and in less controlled and more challenging environments.  I am sure that adaptations would have been made to the promotional suits make them more practical and comfortable which then carried over to the suits subsequently used in V & VI.  I think that may well be where the helmet liners came from if my memory serves me well.  I suspect the changes were more evolutionary between the films rather than a well thought out process.

Paul


_________________
I can't see the trees for the Forest
stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Yv5cCVM

30stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Tue May 15, 2018 12:00 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:And the cardboard cut-outs!!! clown  Remember them? The arrival of the Emperor on the Death Star scene if memory serves me correctly... Laughing

Not sure -- maybe. I do know that some of the rebel troopers at the end of ANH were cardboard cutouts.

Yup you're right, thought I might have mixed those up! ST's made more sense to me though! Embarassed

31stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
It's probable that all these elements played their parts. You don't see it in figures though, they just reuse the same mould, it was how come SSC did so many clones, they were the same figure with different paint jobs.

CHEERS!

32stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Tue May 15, 2018 11:14 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:It's probable that all these elements played their parts. You don't see it in figures though, they just reuse the same mould, it was how come SSC did so many clones, they were the same figure with different paint jobs.

CHEERS!

The basic armour sure but there were a lot of helmet, additional armour, flight packs, accessories, weapons etc.. variants with different head sculpts even though they were clones they went out of their way to look different with hair styles, hair colour, scars, tattoos, war paint, facial hair etc..

33stormtrooper - Hasbro Solo 12" figures Empty Re: Hasbro Solo 12" figures on Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
They were cheap to do and kept SSC going through relatively fallow periods.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum