OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fantasy Inspiration

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fantasy Inspiration Empty Fantasy Inspiration Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Hi Folks, this evening I was watching a documentary on Amazon tv "the eye of the beholder" about the fantasy art behind Dungeons and Dragons. This got me thinking , dangerous I know!

So what I was wondering is what are peoples favourite artists and have they affected how you build and customise your figures?

For me my favourites are Clyde Caldwell and Larry Elmore, I have always been impressed by the compositions of their pictures and would have liked to create artwork like theirs unfortunately my talents are more on the model making side I did try with some success using 3d art packages but always found i missed being able to hold the virtual model i was using.

So I guess I'd like to create scenes using my figures which are reminiscent of my favourite artists.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

2Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very interesting topic, I have Clyde Caldwell Dragons Dungeon as my computer background artwork. LOL

My top favorite artists is Boris Vallejo Julie Bell and Luis Royo.

http://www.illuxcon.com/images/standing-small-crop-u113364.jpg?crc=4271395827

Sorry I don't know how to Copy & Past from Google Images to here.

3Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 am

zipkicker

Definitely all of the above!

4Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:18 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Boris Vallejo, Larry Elmore, Rowena Morrill, Joe Jusko.

5Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
shazzdan wrote:Boris Vallejo, Larry Elmore, Rowena Morrill, Joe Jusko.

Hey thanks for bringing Joe Jusko to my attention he has some excellent artwork like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel two of my top favorite superheroes!

6Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh, man. All of the above. Art has always been important to me — I was constantly drawing pictures and looking at artwork of SO MANY different people when I was younger — and even went to Art School (as a non-traditional student) with the intent of becoming a comic book artist, before I changed my major to English. There are more people than I can even name that had a big impact on me — but aside from the named above — here’s some: Rembrandt, Jacques-Louis David, Michaelangelo, John Buscema, Neal Adams, Frank Cho, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Olivia de Berardinis, Wendy Pini, Gerald Brom, Dean Yeagle, Chris Sanders, Ken Kelly, Frank Frazetta, Alfonso Azpiri, Michael Turner, J. Scott Campbell, Simon Bisley, Adam Hughes, Arthur Rackham, Brian Froud, Edmund Dulac, Amy Brown... Crap, that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Fantasy Inspiration C8485110

7Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Interesting topic, Delanie. I do like many of those fantasy artists who have already been mentioned. Another fantasy artist whose aesthetic I enjoy is Frank Frazetta. Perhaps his stuff is more considered 'sword and sorcery', but I've always loved the over-the-top, pulpy subject matter and painterly style. Gives me such a retro nostalgia feeling just looking at it. ;') 

Even though I'm not presently working on fantasy figures myself, here's some artists whose work I enjoy and will eventually draw inspiration from for future figures -- includes several Tolkien artists, since that's my top favourite 'high fantasy' subject, but there's other types of art in there as well, both vintage as well as more contemporary. I'm a huge fan of fairytales, concept art, and illustration, so that's reflected here: 

- Alan Lee 
- John Howe 
- Ted Nasmith
- Elena Kukanova (most gorgeous depictions of Tolkien Elves....swoon!)
- Donato Giancola
- J.R.R. Tolkien (his own illustrations for his works are delightful and charming)
- Kinuko Y. Craft (one of my all-time fave illustrators and cover artists)
- John Jude Palencar
- Yoshi taka Amano (famous for Final Fantasy designs, but I love ALL his work!)
- Viktor Vasnetsov
- various famous fairytale illustrators, such as Ivan Bilibin, Kay Nielsen, John Bauer, etc. 
- Eyvind Earle (concept artist for 1959 Sleeping Beauty)
- Rankin-Bass animation style for The Last Unicorn 
- Studio Ghibli 
- Kris Verwimp (contemporary artist who does covers for metal albums)
- Magdalena Korzeniewska (aka 'bubug' - contemporary fan artist and illustrator from whom I have commissioned several works)
- Jenna Barton (aka 'dappermouth' - contemporary digital artist who is probably more 'gothic americana' than fantasy, but her work nonetheless aligns perfectly with my own aesthetic sensibilities)
- the wide variety of artists who've illustrated Neil Gaiman's books and graphic novels over the years
- All the Pre-Raphaelite artists, and those who were influenced by them I love you

Since I currently work mostly on Star Wars figures, I'll include some of my fave SW inspirations

- Ralph McQuarrie (because OF COURSE!)
- Iain McCaig's concept art for the Prequels, especially his Padme designs
- Dave Filoni's concept art for TCW and SWR 
- Jerry Vanderstelt (gorgeous Padme paintings, and sensitive, nuanced depictions of Vader)
- Tsuneo Sanda (love his comic book covers, 'group picture' pieces, and Vader art)
- Jan Duursema (I have a soft spot for her comic art during the Dark Horse era)
- All the artwork commissioned by George Lucas for the 'SW Visions' project

I realize that's probably a wayyy more detailed list than anyone cares to see.... but it wouldn't be me if I didn't go a bit overboard. Wink

ETA: cross-posted with Stryker.  Glad someone else included Frazetta! ;D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
I was always a fan of art and artists.
There are many to name, so I'll start with just one and add more later

Seb McKinnon
http://www.sebmckinnon.com/illustration

9Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:29 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:I was always a fan of art and artists.

Seb McKinnon

Wonderful choice! I've encountered his exquisite art before, and I love that he's influenced by so many of my own favourite artists and illustrators as well. I love you

10Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am

gooboo

I'm a Luis Royo superfan, but I love many of the artists already mentioned here.

11Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Guys! Are you serious? I was sure this thread would be full of picture links when I clicked on it! Laughing Well, now I have quite some googley work to do. I am honest here, I may know only a quarter or less of the artists listed here. Although many pictures are familiar while I didn't know the artist.

Anyway, here are some of my favourites.

Jean 'Moebius' Giraud:

Fantasy Inspiration 4f11f6409bed34b05456e6c58d505078

Fantasy Inspiration Lg1gqfnscap21

Max Ernst, the surreal dude.
Fantasy Inspiration 11122219313_86c9d30877_b

Fantasy Inspiration 07e54c61f7ad0a9478db5225a7252750

Jakub Rozalski, 
The dude with the giant menacing machines and beasts in the distance, contrasting normal people.

Fantasy Inspiration Jakub-rozalski-1920-the-march-of-the-iron-scarecrows

Fantasy Inspiration Jakub-rozalski-stranger-on-the-strange-land

And nobody mentioned Giger?

12Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Good call on Rozalski, couldn't remember his name but already saw much of his work. Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:
Valiarde wrote:I was always a fan of art and artists.

Seb McKinnon

Wonderful choice! I've encountered his exquisite art before, and I love that he's influenced by so many of my own favourite artists and illustrators as well. I love you

Glad you know and like him too! bounce
I Will check out some of your artists you mentioned.

Also nice that some people mentioned Vallejo! Totally forgot about him. There was a website in 2006 I visited daily with some of his art and similar artists. Therionweb or sth similar (can't quiet remember the name). But after a few years I changed my focus to photography. Cool to hear his name again.

13Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:50 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:Guys! Are you serious? I was sure this thread would be full of picture links when I clicked on it! Laughing Well, now I have quite some googley work to do.

Aww, sorry, Ovy! I considered including images, but then I thought that since my list was already so long, it would be even more overwhelming to scroll through. :3 

And I am familiar with most of the ones you included, though admittedly did not know Jakub Rozalski by name either. Funny enough, I was just looking at some of the old concept art for the film Willow, which was done by Moebius! And of course, LOVE Giger -- but I didn't include him because I wasn't considering him to be a direct inspiration for my own current creations. Though he was influential on some of my earlier drawing attempts back in the day. Very Happy

There are absolutely TONS of other artists I could have included, but then I would have still been typing that list...  Laughing

14Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Btw this pic only came about because of that Stasis picture of sebmc Kinnon:

Fantasy Inspiration Dsc09211

Fantasy Inspiration STASIS

I mean my pic is not as strong as the little girl and the stasis knights covered by ranks and stop of war symbolics. But it did inspire the pose at very least. Razz

15Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Angus McBride didn't just illustrate Osprey books. He also did illustrations for ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying books.

Fantasy Inspiration 6c40b2d13cabaac2294467d742fdf8f7

Fantasy Inspiration 1c76ed6584af2c8bc1334a9aa30ae918

Fantasy Inspiration 29151b0206e1d2d60bf6712e173b32b4

Fantasy Inspiration McBrideHuntForRing

Fantasy Inspiration Image18mcb

Fantasy Inspiration Image8lotr

Fantasy Inspiration Image15aorcs

16Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:22 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde -- That's awesome! You paid beautiful homage to it. I love you  

His art seems to have many different influences, but some images in particular reminds me strongly of John Bauer's  fairytale illustrations. 

Mckinnon: 

Fantasy Inspiration Screen+Shot+2016-02-09+at+6.21.52+PM

Bauer: 

Fantasy Inspiration John-b10

Fantasy Inspiration John_b11

17Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:24 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Angus McBride didn't just illustrate Osprey books. He also did illustrations for ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying books.

Fantasy Inspiration 6c40b2d13cabaac2294467d742fdf8f7

Fantasy Inspiration 1c76ed6584af2c8bc1334a9aa30ae918

Fantasy Inspiration 29151b0206e1d2d60bf6712e173b32b4

Fantasy Inspiration McBrideHuntForRing

Fantasy Inspiration Image18mcb

Fantasy Inspiration Image8lotr

Fantasy Inspiration Image15aorcs

I actually have all of those modules. Discovered Angus through the Osprey books, and was super excited when I found out he was doing these, as well.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Fantasy Inspiration C8485110

18Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Stryker2011 wrote:I actually have all of those modules. Discovered Angus through the Osprey books, and was super excited when I found out he was doing these, as well.

I've got all of them too. I've also got his "Characters of Middle Earth" and "Creatures of Middle Earth" with all his illustrations compiled in one book without all the clutter from the text and marketing.

19Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:17 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I can't compare across so many different talents and genres but I'll say this much: Angus McBride is my favorite Osprey illustrator.

20Fantasy Inspiration Empty Re: Fantasy Inspiration Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 am

blackpool

blackpool
Pretty much every artist I love has been named already (illustrators at least)

My personal top list for fantasy drawings and visuals would be mainly the french team called the "humanoides associés" that developped "Metal Hurlant" in the 70's, a comics magazine about sci fi and fantasy (that became "heavy metal" in the US).

The team originally included my favorite artist ever Moebius (he went with his real name Jean Giraud mainly for his western comic "blueberry"), Philippe Druillet, and Enki Bilal. Those three guys are the base of my readings and inspiration.
Add to them Frank Frazetta, Juan Gimenez, Geof Darrow, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, and you got my all time favorites!

In the more recent comics artists I love John Romita JR, Jim Lee, John Scott Campbell, joe Madureira, and Steve McNiven (among many others of course, but those names come first)

Some more examples...

DRUILLET

Fantasy Inspiration 115997365_o

Fantasy Inspiration 115997350_o

BILAL

Fantasy Inspiration Mecanhumanimal2

Fantasy Inspiration Enki-bilal-le-sommeil-du-monstre-2tv5

GIMENEZ

Fantasy Inspiration 5498

Fantasy Inspiration DDUn_4HXUAASL7f

DARROW

Fantasy Inspiration Wcnpzffkxmfhztdkdrtc