OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:05 pm

gooboo

Since I have plans to work on a number of different 1/6 projects this year, I decided I'd just go ahead and make a single thread for them all rather than creating a separate topic for each one.

This is my second attempt at 3d printing a head I made in Blender. Ultimately I want to paint this head to match one of my dyed Phicen bodies. Here are some pictures of the head with the Kumik wig I want to use attached. I've already painted a layer of primer onto the surface, and I'll probably start painting in earnest sometime tomorrow.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face110

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face310

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face510

The face is a little washed out from the white primer so you can't see it that well, but the measurements on this attempt are better than my last one.

This head uses the typical face-plate and wig configuration, but I ultimately want to try sculpting my own full heads and gluing hair to them. I've been thinking about trying out gluing hair onto this Ruby Rose headsculpt- https://www.ekiahobbies.com/mct-001c-1-6-ruby-head-standard-version-by-manco-toys/. I'll need to cut off the plastic hair first, but if attaching hair to this headsculpt works out well I'll try creating a completely new one myself and making my own custom characters.

2Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:57 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks promising so far. Good luck with the project(s).

3Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks like a good start.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread C8485110

4Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:44 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Really nice so far -- I love that sculpt you've made! Smile

In addition to the great tutorials found on MoreZmore's site for gluing tibetan lamb hair, I also came across this video a while back, and thought I'd share:

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

5Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:48 am

Ovy

Ovy
Cool, I guess the primer hides every trace that the head might be 3d printed in layers?

About long haired Ruby Rose head, I did that some time ago, not finished yet:
Gooboo's WIP stuff thread PSX-20191220-030940

I experimented a little though and did not go for 'normal long hair, mixing it with the sculpted hair on the sides a bit. And her eyes are brown now.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2473-12-20-the-mediterrans-2-0-roqi-hair-rooting-started?highlight=Roqi

6Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:02 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks like a nice start!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Gooboo's WIP stuff thread 1f60e

7Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:22 pm

gooboo

First layer of paint on the custom head is nearly dry. I decided to paint with oils since I'm already familiar with oil paints, but unfortunately it's taking some time to dry even with a dryer added to the paint. Hopefully the next layers will dry more quickly since I'll be able to paint in thinner layers of paint.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face111

I also decided to try repainting some head sculpts I already had that didn't really match any of the bodies I currently own.

I got this one from ebay, although she ended up having kind of derpy looking eyebrows and a skintone that didn't match any body I had, so I thought I would try to make her match the s28 pale tone. This is a first, flat layer of paint that I hope to paint realistic skintones on top of, whenever it dries.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face210

Here's another I want to match the s28 pale body. I also painted a thin layer dark red on her lips, now she looks kinda gothy. I'll have to wait a few days for this one to dry too.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Face311

Seems like most head sculpt artists use acrylics, but I've always liked oils because they look really pretty when painted in layers, and also do a fairly good job emulating actual layers of skin as well.

8Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those all look good so far! Smile I really love your custom sculpt, it's sooo pretty and I can't wait to see how it comes along.

Re: types of paint: I used to paint with oil on canvas, so I understand the draw! : ) For 1/6 scale stuff, however, I currently use model acrylics for the simple fact that they are specifically created with painting really small-scale items in mind, and therefore are already thinner than many regular artist acrylics or oils. Some brands, if applied correctly, also tend to show fewer brush strokes than other types of paints. And, of course, they dry quite quickly, but can also be layered.

Everyone's preferences are different though... I think it really just depends on what kind of effect you are going for. As long as they adhere and are compatible with the surface you are painting on, I'm sure oils would be fine. I just personally wouldn't be patient enough to wait for them to dry... ;p

9Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Diana

Diana
Oh this is exciting! (I think I did that in the other thread just now...)
I love what you’re doing! Makes me give a couple of my head sculpt the eye...
Need to get acrylics though. Not patient enough for oils. ^^

10Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:50 am

Allotropos

Allotropos
That's a fantastic start !
The paint job for the eyes came out sweet !
Well done !

11Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:25 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Very nice work! Thank you for sharing

12Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm

gooboo

Some more painting stuff. The first oil paint layers took forever to dry- I think next time I'll do a combination of acrylics first and then oils on top to speed things up.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Paint610

I originally just painted on top of the original manufacturer's paint with this head model, but then I think the oils and solvents must have caused that layer to start peeling off, undermining the whole thing so I had to start over again. This is the result.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Paint710

Just finished the eyebrows and eyeballs. I drew the eyebrows onto the head with prismacolor pencils, then painted a thin layer of oil on top to seal the pencil in once it dries. I think I'm going to abandon the ScarJo repaint since the paint doesn't seem to be adhering properly to the surface, and I'm more interested now in doing my own headsculpts.

Yesterday I modeled and ordered three new full headsculpts from Shapeways and a bunch of mohair from ebay, and I'm going to try making my own rooted hair. That's my plan for stay-at-home April.

13Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those are looking awesome. Good luck with your custom sculpts, paintjobs, and hair-rooting -- sounds fun to me! Smile

14Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Seems like an interesting experiment using oils — which, I’m sure you’re aware, don’t really dry well. I would stick with acrylics. I’ve layered acrylics easily without issue.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread C8485110

15Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Agreed on that one -- I also am honestly unsure how well oils adhere to plastics like that.

16Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:55 pm

gooboo

Well I paint a layer or two of primer/gesso onto the surface first, so the oils are adhering to that rather than the plastic directly. For the head that had the paint peel off I didn't remove the original layer of paint first, which I think was the problem. When that started coming off it took the rest of the paint off with it. I knew people used acetone to remove the paint on headsculpts first before modifying them, but I thought I would just paint over it.

17Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 am

Diana

Diana
Oh they look beautiful already. You added redness, right? That's not a trick of the light?
The skin of your Pocahontas looks a little grainy. Is that the paint or the print?
She's so pretty!! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your own custom head sculpts!

... and I've ordered a the skin/face box of Vallejo colors, and a bottle of green (for my character's eyes). That should get me started nicely. Very Happy

18Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm

gooboo

Yes the redness is painted onto the face. The next layers of paint on top of that will be whatever skin tone the body I'll put the head on has. Hopefully that will mimic somewhat the way real-life skin is layered.

When I look at the headsculpt in-hand it has a slight texture to it, which I think makes it look kind of realistic and skin-like. I've noticed the camera that I use, however, tends to pick up a ton of details. It doesn't look nearly that grainy in person.

19Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Diana

Diana
gooboo wrote:Yes the redness is painted onto the face. The next layers of paint on top of that will be whatever skin tone the body I'll put the head on has. Hopefully that will mimic somewhat the way real-life skin is layered.

When I look at the headsculpt in-hand it has a slight texture to it, which I think makes it look kind of realistic and skin-like. I've noticed the camera that I use, however, tends to pick up a ton of details. It doesn't look nearly that grainy in person.
You're so right. I just saw this thread on my phone, with the picture at roughly the real size, and thy both looked even better and not at all grainy. Truly great work. <3

20Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think they are coming along nicely, especially considering the challenges of doing this with oil paints.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum