OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Losing your head...or continue kitbashing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MerylAkiba

So before the quarantine, I had to work odd hours and never had any time to kitbash. I got 3 Iron man figures. I was taking apart War Machine and I needed room to properly kitbash. I moved pieces in plastic drawers and got pull-out shelves to place in shelve spaces. With pieces moving about and cleaning up here and there, I seem to have lost head sculpts. The more I clean, I seem to lose more stuff.

I believe the one I can't seem to find is the Cat Toys Combat Girl Head (Cosplay Yuffie)

I am reenacting where I place stuff akin to a crime scene. Earlier I was trying to find a gif of George Banks mimicking tearing paper in the chimney and Mary Poppins looking at him as if he lost his mind. But I think this one suits my situation:
Losing your head...or continue kitbashing Giphy

The last place where I saw them was on my desk. I checked around the desk. I looked at each bin so far. I am now figuring if I should re buy the figure again for the head or continue kitbashing and one day I will come across them eventually. It bugs me because I could have sworn I placed it in one place, but I cannot find it, like loosing car keys.

Let me hear your stories if you lost parts but found years later, or would you put any projects aside and continue searching.

Delanie

Delanie
I'd put it down to underlying stress at the moment. you should see my living room i tided my spare room to make it an 'office' to keep work separate from relaxation and all the boxes all the junk is all up one end of my main room so i cant even use the table for making things atm

oh well needs must i suppose

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I was getting overwhelmed a few years back with all the spare parts, and what-not, so I devised a system that works for me. Using the really nice boxes that come with figures from TBLeague and a few other companies, I put a label on each one, bagged up accessories for the figures (labeling those bags, too), and carefully put them in the boxes. As each box was being filled, I made a Pages document (Word for all you Microsoft users) listing the box number and all of its contents. I also put the exact location of each box (some are in drawered cabinets purchased from Ikea, some are on top of my display cabinets). Now, when I’m looking for something, I open the pages document and do a search; I can go right to the box and retrieve the item with little difficulty. Anal-retentive...? Definitely. But I know where everything is — or at least my computer does.

Losing your head...or continue kitbashing 3f92af10

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Losing your head...or continue kitbashing C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's quite a thorough method, Stryker, and great idea to have an actual digital inventory as well.

Since I don't really collect spare parts just for their own sake -- rather, almost every loose 1/6 item I have is intended for a specific character/kitbash -- I tend to just have a separate box for every project that I'm working on, and every part or accessory for that figure goes in said box. I don't label each bag or item, but I do label the boxes so I can keep them straight and find things more quickly. Headsculpts stay in whatever box they came in until I take them out to use them/work on them. I also have a box of miscellaneous items that are either leftovers or pieces intended for future projects which I might not have collected much for yet, so those just go all together in one box labelled 'extras' for the time being. The type of boxes I use are those durable clear stackable plastic bins with lids that seal tightly to also protect everything inside from dust and damp. If I did not do this, I'd have lost or misplaced every loose part by now, especially given how many times I've moved.  

That being said, there are still times when I do misplace things, usually cause I'm tired or stressed and get distracted and forget to put things away properly. I haven't been in this hobby long enough to have lost things for years and years, but there have definitely been certain smaller items that I thought I'd lost and then ended up purchasing again only to realize they were just buried at the bottom of a different box or something.

Generally, if everything gets put away in its place, I don't 'lose' it -- but that is not always practical because sometimes I'm in the middle of working on something and need to leave multiple things out overnight or for longer periods of time, especially if I'm prepping things for painting or working on several different things at the same time. That's when I tend to get a bit concerned about losing things, when I have projects all spread out on different tables being worked on all at once, cause I'm clumsy and there's more of a chance of various parts getting knocked over and falling on the floor and rolling away somewhere.  Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MerylAkiba, I know this feeling all too well. In fact, welcome to my world. Part of this is still recovering from the great move of November/December 2018; though in some respects that is a good part, as it involves catalogued boxes like the ones Stryker described. I do try to group types of items together -- e.g., medieval armor, weapons, clothing, etc., from the CooModel sets and similar. And I do try to keep together items that came from a specific set if I have partly reconstituted that figure. I tend to box heads separately, and have a substantial part of them catalogued too.

Diana

Diana
I got one for you:

The other day I felt inspired and motivated to work on my 3D head sculpt. I hadn't touched it in maybe two years and was excited to work on it again, and I did! It was awesome! I think I was getting somewhere! I ignored a couple of notifications...

And then my phone died.
And all progress was lost.
ALL OF IT.
My thumb was cramping from the work.
And then I remembered that I did the exact same thing the last time I worked on this.
And I lost all progress then, too!
That's why I hadn't touched it in so long.

The frustraaaaaaation. Ugh.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh nooo, that sucks, Diana! I guess from now on it’s best to only work on those with your phone plugged into a power source...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Cobratrooper11

Cobratrooper11
AerynDiana wrote:I got one for you:

The other day I felt inspired and motivated to work on my 3D head sculpt. I hadn't touched it in maybe two years and was excited to work on it again, and I did! It was awesome! I think I was getting somewhere! I ignored a couple of notifications...

And then my phone died.
And all progress was lost.
ALL OF IT.
My thumb was cramping from the work.
And then I remembered that I did the exact same thing the last time I worked on this.
And I lost all progress then, too!
That's why I hadn't touched it in so long.

The frustraaaaaaation. Ugh.

i've had similar happen in skyrim using racemenu where the game crashed either in hair menu, or after returning to the game and trying to save. it's never fun putting time into something to have it become lost for dumb reasons.

Diana

Diana
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh nooo, that sucks, Diana! I guess from now on it’s best to only work on those with your phone plugged into a power source...
That's my thinking. Better late than never. As long as I'll get back to it while I still remember. Laughing

Cobratrooper11 wrote:it's never fun putting time into something to have it become lost for dumb reasons.
Yes, so true. Felt dumb indeed. But at least I have no reason to not trust the app. Just got myself to blame, so the work can continue. Rolling Eyes

MerylAkiba

Apparently I found it! Then I remembered. I just got an Ironman Starboost complete, a holy grail for me, and in the excitement, I cleared my desk fast by dumping EVERYTHING that was previously on my desk into a foldout fabric shelf bin, then forgetting what I was doing, Like Andy knocking down Woody to make room for Buzz.

Now that I found the Cosplay Yuffie, I need to figure a type of body. Those new ones seem interesting.

Nekk-ra

I feel for the people in this thread, because I'm constantly leaving things behind or forgetting where I put them. I explain it as having multiple trains of thought that derail frequently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum