OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any 1/6 speedos?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:03 am

JohnByng

I haven't seen any but I thought I would ask. I think it is a difficult garment to produce in our scale because of the prominent stitching on such a small amount of fabric and the shape at the front to accommodate male equipment.

There are bikinis for female figures but most of them have the stitching problem.

2Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:24 am

MarkEl

Stretch fabric is difficult at this scale in terms of doing hems and a pouch like on real male underwear and swimwear.  That’s why most of men’s 1/6 undies and such are sewn like women’s wear.   Or they are scissor cut and sewn like women’s panties like what came with M34.  

I made a pair, and it was a nightmare on a machine with most going down the feed dog. You have to stretch and sew at the same time on a tiny piece of fabric using leads. Probably easier to hand sew with a stretch stitch or do the simplified versions mentioned.

Here is Speedo man...with busted side seam.
*waits patiently for DFC’s remarks.  Haha.

Any 1/6 speedos? 7840c910

3Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Hegemony77 makes underwear!

https://www.hegemony77.com/

Honestly, if you hand sew anything carefully enough you can get good seams, you just have to take your time. I don't have a machine so I have to do everything by hand and while its incredibly tedious at times, the finished result can be just as good!

4Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Speedos or old-style men's swimming trunks are not very common in 1/6 scale, and anything made for Ken (or similar) dolls is likely to be too small, especially on seamless body figures (I wouldn't put anything like that on a jointed body, unless it will be covered up by outer clothing anyway, but that's just me). The hegemony77 "big" underwear options look very promising, though certainly pricey.

There are a couple of options from Phicen/TBLeague -- the yellow underwear that came with the M34 body and, more practical/realistic, the black underwear you can find parted out from their Death Dealer figure. I used these for most of the bodybuilder poses recreation photos in my M35 Review.

It is not much, but I hope it helps.

5Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
At 1:6 scale it is pretty hard to tell the difference between speedos and bikini bottoms.

6Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 am

MarkEl

Speaking of Hegemony77, she has some videos and photos on her site(s) that give a lot of incidental insight on sewing technique, tools and materials.  It’s quite a good resource to look over for ideas, not to mention the exquisite offerings.  I’m always tempted by the Arnold Gold’s Gym outfit. She’s really talented.

7Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:I’m always tempted by the Arnold Gold’s Gym outfit.  She’s really talented.

It seems like this one is sold out. They are pretty pricey but I really wish they were available on eBay -- as it is I don't know that they ship outside of the UK.

8Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
WAIT FOR IT . . . WAIT FOR IT . . . WAIT FOR IT . . .

Wiener schnitzel?

9Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm with Lynkhart. Hand-sewing can be time-consuming, but for something this small, it can be done. I made a bikini using spandex and did it all by hand. Pain in the butt, since the material is hard to hold and stretch at the same time while trying to keep the stitching tight and barely visible, but it can be done. Make a pattern first with other material so you get the right size and shape, but you'll probably still end up making adjustments when it's all done (particularly if putting his... ahh... "member" on to make a true 'Banana-Hammock').

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Any 1/6 speedos? C8485110

10Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm

JohnByng

Thanks for the help guys. I had heard of Hegemony77 and searched a couple of times, but although I found images of her work I never found her shop before so thanks a lot for that.

Gubernatorfan, I actually have the yellow trunks that came with the Phicen Asian muscle body but I thought they were shorts and put them somewhere. I will have to try to find them! I will get the Hegemony briefs (pricey but hard work to make as people have said, so worth it!) and I will look for the Death Dealer briefs.

11Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Other, fairly stretchable briefs do exist... maybe by Magic Cube? At least one type were based on Calvin Kleins.

12Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:46 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I wonder if TBLeague will ever give us a fully packed / meatier offering like this with speedos?

Any 1/6 speedos? E3c5f21babcf27f41d48664902d0f58d

It's lunch time for me. I'm having some foot long sausages dipped in creamy Alfredo sauce.

13Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
DFC, I do believe that is currently possible.

14Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 am

JohnByng

That's what I was planning to do. Not sure how well it will work with thicker fabric but we shall see!

15Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
JohnByng wrote:That's what I was planning to do. Not sure how well it will work with thicker fabric but we shall see!

I think you'll find, in the long run, that you'll want to use real spandex (though, as mentioned, it can be difficult to work with by hand), it'll give you a much more natural look.

16Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 am

JohnByng

Thanks Mark. I am sure you are right but I am a ham-fisted, pop-eyed, klutz!

17Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
JohnByng wrote:Thanks Mark. I am sure you are right but I am a ham-fisted, pop-eyed, klutz!

Razz You’re not alone there, my friend.

18Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I used the Death Dealer briefs for my Weapon X Wolverine, and they do the job pretty well. I'll be the 1st to admit that I can'd seem to master sewing 1/6 underwear, male or female. I've tried a few times, and I always end up disappointed by the results. In the end, I've ended up buying from ebay or aliexpress.

19Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The reason I used the black Death Dealer underwear so readily with the M35 for my review (the M35 didn't come with any of his own) was that I assumed they will not stain, because I also assumed (based on my previous experience) that Phicen/TBLeague clothing did not stain. But now I stand corrected, at least as to the general rule. My figures haven't suffered any staining from that, so far.

20Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 am

MarkEl

When shopping fabrics, look at weight.  The problem with 1/6 scale undies and such is that many end up looking like nappies/diapers if the fabric is too bulky.  There’s a measure on all fabrics called grams per square meter or GSM.  You want to go as low as possible for that type of fabric without being sheer....unless you want sheer of course.  Lightweight fabrics aren’t always easy to find because they could be considered inadequate for comparative 1:1 uses  

Examples:
-A stretch single jersey (let’s say 95% cotton and 5% spandex) for undies or tshirts.  Shoot for 165-180 GSM.
-A 4 way stretch Lycra for bathing suits. A heavier material compared to above.   Less than 200 gsm.   For context, the one in my pic is 220 GSM and is too heavy for the scale.

21Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 am

MarkEl

@GubFan. I’ve been watching those Death Dealer undies for a while as they are nicely done. They are pretty expensive for me after shipping. I’ll have to bite the bullet. They might be worth it just to replicate the pattern.

22Any 1/6 speedos? Empty Re: Any 1/6 speedos? Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:@GubFan.  I’ve been watching those Death Dealer undies for a while as they are nicely done.  They are pretty expensive for me after shipping.  I’ll have to bite the bullet.  They might be worth it just to replicate the pattern.

I can't advise on the price of shipping, but as you can see from the photos in the M35 review, they work pretty well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum