OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting email from SSC regarding custom pieces.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

DeltaForceChung

dadrab wrote:Which is exactly why the peckerwoods at Sideshow are going after the little guys here. Their problems are two-fold:

1. They can't do jack do-da about the folks in Asia who are making some money with the practice and they know it.
2. Sideshow's work isn't as good, many times, as that produced by some private artisans here and they know it, but don't want to admit it. I'd hate to think they really believe throwing their weight around like that will result in anything but hard feelings. Clearly delusional.

--

Yeah.

I guess Sideshow is very much stuck in the 1:6 closet and can't accept and/or deny the realities of all that goes on outside the 1:6 closet.

How pathetic and sad.

Delanie

Hi Folks,

When I was doing 3D art a few years ago I belonged to another forum where products i.e. 3D polygonal meshes or textures, were made and sold. In fact I belonged to several such groups and purchased and downloaded from quite a few sites.

Now the general rule of thumb was that if you created a 3D model or produced a 2D render for yourself alone you were fine it was generally considered good form, and most of us abided by it, that if you posted a render which contained items which you had downloaded free of charge it was fine to do so as long as you credited the artist / designer of the item.

If however you wished to sell your renders/movies or had an item which included a mesh or texture made by someone else then you first either had to purchase the items used from the artist / designer or company or make the items used yourself.

It seems to me unless I'm totally missing the point , please enlighten me if that's the case, that something similar applied to our custom figures in that:

a) if someone makes a head sculpt for instance unless that person has the original 1:1 actor in front of them then surely what they produce is purely their interpretation of said character, after all if you go on IMDB the chance of the actors head shot looking like the character are minimal (Karen Gillan looks nothing like Nebular for instance)

b) I rarely see custom figures for sale and if they are then what parts used are between the buyer and the seller.

c) often when customs are shown here or on other forums they often credit the parts used if not directly but I don't remember seeing someone claiming say , Sonja's armour was custom made when it obviously wasn't , they would soon be called out.

in fact this argument could get quite silly take this as a scenario "Cinderella, would you like me to make you a new skirt (1:1) next time I make one ?" ,

yes please" Okay"

"well here it is, oh btw the material was bought from x shop made by d manufacturer, the thread was bought from y shop made of hmm I cant remember, oh well the elastic was from z shop so that's okay but the buttons and lace now those i really cant remember!"

Oh darn it Sorry as i cant remember where i got those from or who made the buttons I cant even show you what the prototype looks like!!

To be honest as long as the custom figures shown are credited as being …..'s work then I don't think sideshow has a peg leg to stand on (referring to long john silver the pirate which is out of copyright btw!)

I wonder if they will start on the spare part market next?

just my thoughts

Susanna

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Below is a video on YouTube courtesy of Keyboard Warriors explaining the current debacle and ongoing fallout.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Susanna, to answer your question: Technically, they do (well, mostly Hot Toys does). If you are a member of Sideshow Collectors (or Sideshow Freaks), and you check out the "Interest Threads" or "For Sale" threads, there are literally hundreds (thousands...?) really of unlicensed properties, mostly movie related (like Lady Sif/Jaimie Alexander's character in the Thor movies), which I am a part of. Now Hot Toys hasn't (and probably won't) make a figure of her, but they hold the licensing rights for 1/6 characters pertaining to those movies, and the ultimate license holder is, of course, Disney (that corporate beast that isn't afraid to demolish any and all those who get in their way). So, yes, by making a completely custom figure of said character, they are violating a few dozen licensing rights. Just like all the other custom threads, which always leads into the bootleg of a bootleg argument (but that's a discussion for a different topic). There is currently an interest thread started for said Nebula from Guardians, as it looks like there is zero chance of HT making her, as well. But as long as they hold the license, much like they hold the licenses for Aliens and Predator (and do nothing with them), they have the legal right to crush anyone who infringes on that, as does Disney.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Interesting email from SSC regarding custom pieces. - Page 3 C8485110

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
It just keeps getting better and better.

Jon Deak at OSS posted an update "claiming" he spoke with "Executives" at Sideshow.

Last I checked, the courteous and professional customer service representatives there by e-mail, online chat, and phone are not considered as "Executives".

Very simply, Jon needs to (for transparency) acknowledge the identities / names of the "Executives". Otherwise, it's BULL$%^&.

Is it being unreasonable? I believe it's a matter of simplicity and truth.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I question whether or not he got to talk to top brass at Sideshow to answer some of his concerns, but who knows.

Skippy

Jon Deak posted an update reporting that OSS doesn't have to change because it's not Sideshow's intention to go after custom artists. Though, as always on OSS, they can't offer their work for sale.

The custom section will be safe on SSF if the same rules apply, except they'll have to take the selling to private mail if Sideshow insisted.

Seems to be the Chinese bootleg companies that they don't want to see on their affiliated boards. So Jon had better delete all traces of his 'fully licensed' Hellman.

I watched the video he posted. Towards the end he mentions child labour in the third party factories in China, and claims this is part of Sideshow's motivation with the letter.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Towards the end he mentions child labour in the third party factories in China, and claims this is part of Sideshow's motivation with the letter.

Very Happy If child labor was one of the reasons, they wouldn’t be able to show their own stuff, or anything else for that matter. What a load of BS.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I really liked the Keyboard Warriors video and commentary. Thanks, DFC!

Skippy

OSS:

David Emam Are posting affiliate links allowed? I see those posted here from time to time. They’re technically a solicitation for a sale, no?

3h

Jon Deak Yes, affiliate links and Sideshow links are forbidden in Society unless it’s posted by myself.

3h

Jon Deak Yes, I inform the members when a new figure is released.

3h

Jon Deak Regardless of what the email says, whatever I stated in my video supersedes the email because it’s coming directly from Sideshow to me. Sideshow did this for specific groups who were continuously violating rules and laws. Certain language in that email wasn’t meant for groups like Society that have been following the rules since day one.

3h

Some asked about the child labour issue, but Jon didn't respond. It was probably something he just said off the cuff in the video.

Skippy

What it means to be a Sideshow Affiliate:

The Sideshow Affiliate Program Can Add Value to Your Website

You can earn commissions by recommending our great products through pre-made, professional looking banners and links! Sideshow Collectibles offers a 2.5-5% commission rate on high-end, limited edition products. Our current Average Order Value is more than $300.00! Most importantly, our Affiliate Team focuses on first-rate client service that will exceed your expectations!

The Sideshow Affiliate Program fits easily into your busy schedule! Once you are approved, you can log into our secure system and have an affiliate link on your webpage in just minutes!

Some of our other great features include:

Pre-made Banner Rotations to suit most websites!
Unlimited Custom Rotations you can create in minutes!
Thousands of Product Specific Banners in many sizes!
WeeklyAffiliate Newsletters!
90 Day Cookie Retention!
Monthly Payouts!
Free Items for Reviews and Giveaways!
An inventory of Top Quality products from Pop Culture's Hottest Licenses!

Click here to learn more about Sideshow Collectibles and our popular licenses. If your website includes Film, Television, Gaming, Military or Pop Culture content, we offer a wide range of hot products that will appeal to your audience. Please check out our Expanded Information to learn more about our great Affiliate Program.

Click Here to Join Today!

http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Affiliates/

Allotropos

Allotropos
Asta wrote:OSS:
Some asked about the child labour issue, but Jon didn't respond. It was probably something he just said off the cuff in the video.
regardless of the credibility of his earlier statement or even origins for that matter - 3Zero must clearly stop using kindergarten kids in their production line - or at least ensure they have a well balanced play/nap time schedule. silent

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Well, now that we know what a Sideshow Affiliate actually is, I suppose Sideshow is technically within its rights to make demands on its affiliates. Which does not make said demands any more practical or welcome.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
From what I’ve read elsewhere, the restriction isn’t on custom artisans, or the products they offer, but on the Asian bootleg manufacturers who are producing product based on licenses that SS (and I’m assuming manufacturers like HT) are connected with (items like all the bootleg Wolverine product being mass-produced). So, for now, anyway, it sounds like they’re not too concerned, but are aware, of the expensive customs being produced in numbers so small as to not affect their bottom line.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's a statement put out by Hot Toys on June 1st (not the same issue per se, but related to copyright infringement):

"NEWS 11 : 1 JUN 2018
INFRINGEMENT ALERT - AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM HOT TOYS
It has recently come to our attention that the following website has infringed Hot Toys’ trademark & product photos without the authorization/ permission of Hot Toys and claiming that the product offered thereon is Hot Toys product:

http://www.qkupg.com/gtx?utm_source=www.qkupg.com%2Fgtx&utm_medium=404764&utm_campaign=10000404764001&utm_term=71&user_id=2481

The above website is not operated by Hot Toys or any distributors of Hot Toys, and is NOT related or endorsed by Hot Toys in any way. Further, Hot Toys has a good reason to believe that the product offered thereon is not genuine Hot Toys products, or that the website operates to sell any legitimate Hot Toys products.

Customers are strongly advised against placing orders or making payments with any platforms that sell counterfeit products or which are not selling genuine Hot Toys products."

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting. A disclaimer that is certainly going to be far less controversial than the Sideshow policy. I wonder if the site is falsely advertising knockoffs as Hot Toys, or whether they are simply using photos of Hot Toys products to advertise knockoffs. There is a slight difference, although I'm probably not putting it right.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I think you said it right.

And I agree about HT's approach, letting people know to avoid a web-site for selling knock-offs is far less "dramatic" than "We're sending leg-breakers to your house" tactics.

58Interesting email from SSC regarding custom pieces. - Page 3 Empty Sideshow did we hear any more? Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:08 am

Delanie

Delanie
Hi guys,

I seem to remember a thread, i don't know if it was here or the other place, about sideshow annoying a few people by their attitude, did we hear any more?

I note of late there seem to be quite a few proposed new releases by sideshow and wondered if they were still being daft.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Delanie wrote:I seem to remember a thread, i don't know if it was here or the other place, about sideshow annoying a few people by their attitude, did we hear any more?

I think this is the thread you were referring to. I know nothing more.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
All I really know, is that Sideshow Collectibles cut off association with the SSF website back when all this transpired, and all the customs section was locked. There is a completely new web-site where that section went, but many of the artisans opted instead to start their own websites or Facebook page. So trying to find new stuff is a bit of a challenge. Oddly, bootlegs by Asian manufacturers started popping up again on SSF, I guess because of the lack of connection to Sideshow Toys. All sort of confusing and a bit stupid.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
What's this new site? Is it worth a look!?

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
http://customonesixth.com/index.php

Here you go, Roger. Be forewarned, it's a little hard to navigate. But I managed to find all the threads for custom work I have money invested in. It's not easy to find the "For Sale" "Interest" and "Custom" threads, you just kind of have to search everything until you find the areas you're interested in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum