OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
So as some of you from the old board will know, my other hobby is model horse collecting and customising. A big part of that is repainting models, and last year, inspired by NaMoWriMo (national novel writing month) a hobbyist came up with 'National Model Painting Month' or NaMoPaiMo in an attempt to encourage more people to paint. It was incredibly popular, with hundreds of people signing up, and this year it was even bigger! I signed up again, but wanted to have a little fun linking two of my hobbies, so I asked if Max could join in and everyone was immediately and overwhelmingly interested, even going so far as to actually ask me to physically sign her up like everyone else! Laughing

I didn't just intend to photograph her with a paintbrush in hand though, no, I had far more planned, and over the course of the month I put together a series of stopmotions all of which I eventually condensed into one video as the 60 second limit on instagram is ridiculously limiting.

I've done several other stopmotions which I'll post about elsewhere and have many plans for more, though alas my mini tripod broke a few weeks ago so that's put anything else on hold until I can get a replacement.

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 25235019187_d0e58a94f2_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39395019144_c993466f88_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39208469445_50a5472c9e_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 28326793779_3d28633142_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 40075152012_e9ee117a47_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39395645874_e5aff605f3_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Baxter doesn't understand why he's not allowed to nom on all the ponies. Laughing

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 40107800861_853e1b7061_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

I spent a frankly ridiculous amount of time sourcing good photos of Dremel boxes so I could recreate my own one in miniature, and tbh hardly anyone will have noticed. XD

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 26233548038_b8e04231a2_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 28326816789_0d438ae29b_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 40074446422_3c0ba6995e_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39395631804_3e26d5c4f6_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 28326821909_ea9a58c453_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 40107782521_df5eb83f1d_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39395627964_ca8fa90009_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Everyone really loved seeing her progress, and a sculptor friend sent me one of her micro mini resins to 'add to Max's collection' which was really unexpected and kind of her so I did another wee vid of Max receiving her gift!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfYjiIQnu1I/

After all of that I barely had enough time to finish my own model, another micro mini in one of the most complicated horse colours that exists.

http://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.com/2018/03/christine-does-namopaimo.html#more

Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment as I'd no sooner finished that one than I dug out one of the smallest models in my collection and painted that too! XD

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) 39831995564_400603d4e1_zNaMoPaiMo 2018 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

One of the biggest things about NMPM was that it wasn't a competition, it was more like a community event where everyone was considered a winner just for taking part, but people donated prizes and things that were given out either at random, or to specific people if they'd, say, posted lots of tutorials or helped people out. I wasn't expecting anything but was told fairly early on that I'd be getting something as everyone was getting a huge kick out of Max's shenanigans, and about a month after the event ended, I got a big box from the US containing two ponies, one for me and another for Max!  Shocked  Laughing

http://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.com/2018/03/namopaimo-prizes.html

I ended up getting yet ANOTHER mini resin prize a month after that too, as the sculptor of the rearing pony I painted had been running a contest during NMPM for anyone who painted one of her models and I won in the category for the best work on an older sculpture, so all in all, February has turned out to be a pretty rewarding month! Very Happy

2Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The video is phenomenal, Christine! Quirky, fun, instructional, and to the point. And it (as well as the photo) showcases the beautiful work you have done assembling and/or customizing all these wonderful tiny renditions of 1:1 things in 1:6 scale. I, for one, loved the miniaturized Dremel box and instructions and everything. Reminds me of the research I do when I try to recreate actual journal/magazine covers, etc., but you have obviously taken this to another level.

3Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Heh, I kinda went overboard with one of the books too - my friend Lesli is one of *the* most knowledgable people on the subject of equine colour genetics, and has written several books on the subject. I allowed her use of some of my photographs for illustrative purposes and got copies as a thank you, so I asked if I could scan a few pages and make a mini version and she agreed. It's literally only shown for a handful of seconds but it's all in the right order and mostly legible! (albeit with considerably fewer pages than the real deal)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be5wnh2nCJC/

4Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 am

dadrab

dadrab
That represents a lot of work...and, nice work it is, too.

Thank you for showing us.

5Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! Just — WOW! He amount of work you put into this is phenomenal. Really love all the stop-motion videos. And congratulations on the awards; very well deserved. The depth you put into all your diorama work is amazing. The Dremel, and the Equine book are pretty cool. I don’t know what else I can say... there’s just so much to look at and enjoy.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) C8485110

6Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Oh Christine that is just brilliant I wish I could do things like that with my lot !

btw how did you make Max smile and wink so convincingly?

and the spray effect wow

7Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very impressive video, all the little details are amazing, that had to been a lot of work, Great job and thank you for posting it! Very Happy

8Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 am

Allotropos

Allotropos
that scratch built dremel with box and instructions are amazingly done !!
Thanks for sharing !

9Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 am

MarkEl

Amazing work. It was a pleasure to view. Thanks!

10Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic Work on All ! cheers

The Stop Motion movie is Amazing ! That has totake many many Hours. Perfect. Love It ! The Smile You give her in the Movie Scene is the Cream topping

11Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Cheers all! :3

I made everything on my phone, so whenever I wanted a change in facial expression I had to add it manually for each frame using a mixture of editing apps. For the most part I used ‘Photoshop Fix’ for adding eyelids and warping the mouth into a frown or smile, but the toothy grin was from the old fave ‘faceapp’

I’ve been experimenting with my fantasy figures too, but I’m struggling to find any free apps that will let me add fx to a finished video so right now I’m having to do the same here, add fire effects and things frame by frame which is incredibly tedious. -.-

https://instagram.com/p/Bexxeo-HPqT/

12Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's a pretty cool fire effect in that video, Christine. And I like your sorceress, she looks great.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) C8485110

13Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap! That stopmotion video is awesome!!! Con't even imagine all the time that went into it. And I seriously love the Dremel box. It's those kind of details that really make a build. So impressive.

14Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
As a horse lover, model horse enthusiast, owner of two hyperactive and destructive wolfdogs, and (more recently) a 1/6 customizer, this video ticks pretty much all of my boxes and is relatable on so many levels.  

*bows down*

Simply AH-MAZING.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

15Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am

blackpool

blackpool
A-MA-ZING! I'll need a few minutes to get my jaw back in place... So many amzing miniatures and props, it's phenomenal, I really love the attention put in every little detail...
And the stopmotion work, I'm already in awe when I see a 3 secs loop, but your short movies are close to profesionnal level!!! Fantastic work (your two videos made my day!)

Again bravo, and special mention to those daily life moments you capture so well, it feels very real, and therefore very emotional Smile

16Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Peaches

Peaches
Actually, I did notice the dremel box, and thought, she isn't going to have a tiny dremel?! I loved your Christmas stop motion as well, absolutely fantastic! You have amazing talent. Not just in making props, not just in filming, but in story telling. Bravo!

17Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Awww thanks guys! <3

NaMoPaiMo is coming up again, but as I’m painting a much larger model this time I’m not sure if I’ll have time to do another full length stopmotion for Max, though I’m sure she’ll get to paint something!

18Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:04 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lynkhart wrote:Awww thanks guys! <3

NaMoPaiMo is coming up again, but as I’m painting a much larger model this time I’m not sure if I’ll have time to do another full length stopmotion for Max, though I’m sure she’ll get to paint something!

Aww, can't wait to see!

And lol, maybe Max can help you paint the 'giant' horse....

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

19Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm

Ovy

Ovy
"You can't take the sky from mee...." <3

Love the workbench, is there real Miliput inside the miliput?

20Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Empty Re: Max does NaMoPaiMo! (Stopmotion!) Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:31 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Yup! The milliput she uses to resculpt is the real thing! I was customising the horse is real time as I animated it! :lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum