OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 31]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Finished Dwarves' threads so far (I still need to do threads for Dwalin, Balin and Nori but there are pics of them on this WIP thread):

Gloin finished

Bifur finished

Bombur Finished

I've wanted these guys in my collection ever since the first Hobbit film, Dwarves are my favourite fantasy characters so of course Gimli has always been my favourite character in LOTR and I built him years ago, my first custom body I think. These characters have only been produced as 1/6 in polystone statue form by Weta and I believe not all of them, not cheap either!
To help me with these rather ambitious multiple builds I asked fellow member and artist Peter The Painter to do all the head sculpts because he is excellent at capturing likenesses no matter the subject, works very fast, great communications and his sculpts are one of a kind pieces of art.
So with the heads taken care of by Peter, that just leaves everything else for me to do starting with the bodies. Dwarves are shorter than humans but larger than Hobbits, they are also very stocky due to their enhanced strength so there are no readily available 1/6 bodies around to make Dwarves. I first decided to hunt down as many 'over sized' Hobbit bodies by Toy Biz for all the articulation and the correct height 8"-9" with a head, unfortunately most of the ones I found for sale were in the USA and I'm in the UK so shipping and customs charges made them monetarily impossible for me to buy 14 of them. I then thought Mego bodies but they are too short and rare, also only available in the USA (there's a company that makes reproduction Mego bodies). After a random eBay search for 9" figures/bodies I discovered the Trendmasters 9" Austin Powers figures that are very cheap and readily available in the UK with free shipping on the most part. They also have the advantage of coming with fabric clothing variants in this unique body size, the colours and fabric types will actually be quite useful for the Dwarves.
Below are some basic reference pictures of the Dwarves and Bilbo and below those, pictures of what I have so far to contribute towards the builds (I'm still waiting for three more Trendmaster bodies to arrive).

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. QVhHgpy

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 3nMAV0l

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. IAmR3lS

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Fosa6S8

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 61aFqH1

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. PdMsXSF

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 90AHHHm

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. W2yHdiK

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. IkXtpYa

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Q9wOtT8

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 9gh5IZV

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. B8hkvnL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. NEKGWHY

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. ER33rSw

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. KbRRb3E

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. ZIOP6iL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. WdWon17

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. XpIS5EX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 8VE0NqD

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 6JSEnUF

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. GadejzQ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. MGBKDC1

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 5wnWFdB

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. JKA3K15

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. MYxwHbo

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. RazWXCZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. QhqnDwF

Modifying for broader shoulders and more
articulation.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oohhh! This is going to be interesting.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Looks like a fun build. Are all those heads by Peter!?

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Oohhh! This is going to be interesting.

I've got less artistic freedom in these builds but they do actually have quite a few costume changes throughout the films which will help, I'd love to do them all in armour as they looked at the end...maybe someday...

Rogerbee wrote:Looks like a fun build. Are all those heads by Peter!?

CHEERS!

Yup! All Peter's work, there are two Bilbo heads there, I'll be using the one with the darker hair but making it lighter, I'll also be doing some other little mods here and there like extending hair with real hair, some personal touches I want to add like gloss in the eyes etc.. I'm just so glad he's done most of the paint already, I thought initially he would be sending me unpainted sculpts.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looking forward to this project. From what I see (and knowing you), already quite promising.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Looking forward to this project. From what I see (and knowing you), already quite promising.

LOL, cheers GF! I have no idea what I'm doing but I do see a lot of sewing in my near future! pale Wink

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Those heads look great and I'm sure the rest will too.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
I was wondering when this monumental build would start. You have a gift for finishing a major project before beginning another. That's a gear I ain't got.

Looking forward to it.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:Those heads look great and I'm sure the rest will too.

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger! Been too bloody hot to get anything done today/yesterday, had the room cooler on max so anything I tried to do just got blown in my face! Mad

dadrab wrote:I was wondering when this monumental build would start. You have a gift for finishing a major project before beginning another. That's a gear I ain't got.

Looking forward to it.

I'm far from perfect on that front, got plenty of half built projects kept in labelled boxes including my double Punisher builds: Punisher War Machine and the Netflix TV series version. They're all organised at least! Laughing

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I've been going through parts bags/boxes trying to find anything else pertinent to the builds like chunky boots, furs & real hair, more clothing and essentials like hands and feet; also more lego for articulation (hence the pic of my giant bionicles bag).

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. ZWpItZP

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. ACSD51h

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. AHe1oDZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. GIVw5ty

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. UQ70uw4

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. NzdYwCq

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. H8eJBhT

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. U6ZIZ49

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. EtSyQ7L

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That's quite a collection you have there, time I added to it!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:That's quite a collection you have there, time I added to it!

CHEERS!

You've left it a bit late mate, I was really after those two Hobbit bodies for this build but the postman just dropped off 3 more NIB Austin Powers figures so I have 14 bodies now! I'd still be interested in them as the Dwarves' bodies vary from one another but you need to pm me a price as I can't do the trade thing because I can't go to the post office, agoraphobia remember? Crying or Very sad
Pics of the final donor figures to arrive, got all 3 NIB for 25 quid inc shipping in the UK. I've also sorted out neck parts, wrist pegs, which feet will work for all of them, got the hands to go through next. There's a couple of pics showing the parts that will need to come together to create a far more articulated and stocky body as my 'blue print' for the Dwarves' basic body; obviously each character will have his own tailored body such as Dwalin being a big bruiser of a Dwarf, Bombur needing a huge fat suit and Ori being very thin etc..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. OtaDCnh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. SJ24W3I

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. ZmOgOzq

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Fcee1F7

Got a few Minime's now, a Dwarf of a Dwarf? LOL.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. WuSPokY

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Kl4hVCl

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. MBq0r7q

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice insight/inside photos. Is the torso a lego part?

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I'll have to have a bit more of a clearout and locate the second body, I'll let you know when I do.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice insight/inside photos. Is the torso a lego part?

Yup, a Bionicles chest/torso part.

Rogerbee wrote:I'll have to have a bit more of a clearout and locate the second body, I'll let you know when I do.

CHEERS!

Okay mate cheers!

Gone through all the hands, took bloody ages to find matching pairs of the types I wanted i.e. : 2 gripping, or 1 gripping the other gesturing etc..
I started by removing all the pistol trigger hands (found I had loads of rifle trigger hands too by the way Roger so I think your idea on not being able to find any is incorrect at least as far as my collection goes, they probably came off donor DID WW2 bodies etc..). Anyway...guess what you get left with after removing all the trigger hands? A crap load of left hands!! Mad Fascist righthanders! Wink . Got 13 pairs I'm happy with (already had Hobbit ones selected) just need to find matching pegs for them all now and not break them!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Had to put on my thinking cap to get the prototype Dwarf body more articulated without compromising any existing articulation which involved a lot of very careful sawing and cutting to get just the right clearances to mount the shoulders and arms without changing the height but bulking out the width. Wasn't easy to think straight today as new neighbours moved in across the street (I say new but they used to hang around there with the alcoholic causing chaos and having the cops turn up regularly, well he kicked the bucket a few weeks back and unfortunately these guys and girls moved in permanently Mad ) , they are loud as hell junkies and alcoholic jailbirds, one is the son of the guy who died and is in and out of prison as a lifestyle.. they are also completely insane thinking the street is their theatre of madness. I really, really can't wait for winter for so many reasons...
Oh yeah, I chose the ugliest bionicle parts I have since they will be hidden Wink .

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. QaK3J2D

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. HtgocW9

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. NibFAN3

The parts that were modded

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Pj4MdcX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. K3uGPa0

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 0aHPCTt

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Ia58ciX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. EfWMzjy

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. UfpVZe7

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. HBzI6ye

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 6B2SXGa

The abdomen can still rotate independently from the rest of the parts, this involved silicone grease and the glue gun.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. CVunFQ1

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 44EnZkk

I'll make more sense when I've attached the original shoulders and arms...I'm just enjoying the silence while it lasts...they partied all night and day...oh to be young again! LOL.

peter the painter

Great intro to this phase of your mega project Alex, really looking forward to seeing you develop the Dwarf characters in your inimitable and inventive way.

I'm a fan of both movies, and of your interpretation of their characters.

Cheers,

Peter.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
peter the painter wrote:Great intro to this phase of your mega project Alex, really looking forward to seeing you develop the Dwarf characters in your inimitable and inventive way.

I'm a fan of both movies, and of your interpretation of their characters.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter! Well these builds wouldn't be possible if you hadn't accepted my commission for the sculpts! Laughing Or if I'd actually had the drive to sculpt them they certainly wouldn't be as recognisable as your sculpts! I am actually striving for movie accuracy this time, more so than the Wraiths but there will be concessions due to reality of course, I'm not fanatical enough to get every texture or pattern of clothing movie accurate as I work with what I have at my disposal and can't devote my entire life to perfection when I have so many other projects as well.

Nearly finished the first body, I need to add stabilising struts to connect the chest pieces and insert soft foam to fill the gaps but still allow articulation; the neck cover is just 'stand in' for now as I'm not even sure whose body this is! Wink Sorted out 14 pairs of hand pegs.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. C1FwyMX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. T2DrAjE

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. BctUsxL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. HVQIS1d

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Zcbk79M

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Done what I said I would then tried a mock up with the Austin Powers suit unaltered (cut the cravat off) and a pair of Toy Biz Gimli's boots and gloves as well just plonked in place so no actual hands or feet yet. I noticed that only one bicep articulates and that's only on the Dr. Evil figures, how lame is that? AP doesn't have any bicep articulation, bummer going to have to fix that to then, probably using a screwhead as a mushroom connector with a swivel hole dremeled out for it on the connecting piece. Thorin's head looks a bit weird as his hair is too close to the back of the body stopping it from sitting naturally but no bother as I'd planed on giving most of the Dwarves with loose long hair real hair anyway (sorry Peter! It was on the cards before we even spoke...I just didn't explain it, I've always preferred real hair on most figures). This is why I think Dori's head comes across more natural on the body.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Q15sDPS

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 861rpPA

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. 63CzYhm

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. KOM3JJI

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. HXK09q6

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. M6m68IG

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. YPXYVoY

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. NFJOTsx

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. Ea5h8he

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Looking good!

It was pistol hands I could never find from any brand. My assortment would probably add to ones that you don't need.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 31]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum