OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 13]

All filed and ready for paint, files now need paint stripper..















View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Have you seen the Asmus Gimli? He came out surprisingly well.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Have you seen the Asmus Gimli? He came out surprisingly well.

CHEERS!

Yup, watched reviews too. Will probably get one even though I already have my custom one so I can display this scene Wink He is my favourite character after all!

View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Word has it they're a consistent line and you get the whole Fellowship. If they were 1/12......

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Word has it they're a consistent line and you get the whole Fellowship. If they were 1/12......

CHEERS!

Er.. I've had the whole fellowship since I made Merry and Pippin a while back Wink . If you want 1/12 get the Toy Biz figures, they're really nice.

Dwalin's knuckle dusters and weapons are all done. I need to make the backpack carrying loops for the axes, give him real hair, mount the knife scabbard and do some little paint details like the studs on his boots etc.. then on to the next lone.































View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Great work. That last shot looks pretty much perfection incarnate.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
Alex, he looks amazing, great attention to detail, thanks for sharing his coming together.



Cheers,


Peter.

View user profile
Man, what a great figure. From his head to his feet, it's just a study in damn fine work.

Looking forward to the next leg of the journey.

View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Looking good!

The only LOTR figure by Toybiz I had was the Peter Jackson hobbit.

CHEERS!

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:Great work. That last shot looks pretty much perfection incarnate.

'Perfection incarnate'..I like that, cheers!  Wink

peter the painter wrote:Alex, he looks amazing, great attention to detail, thanks for sharing his coming together.



Cheers,



Peter.

Cheers Peter! Not 100% done yet though..

dadrab wrote:Man, what a great figure. From his head to his feet, it's just a study in damn fine work.

Looking forward to the next leg of the journey.

Thanks dadrab, still got a bit to do.

Rogerbee wrote:Looking good!

The only LOTR figure by Toybiz I had was the Peter Jackson hobbit.

CHEERS!

I remember, he's the only one I never got! Laughing

Done plenty more paint, redid all the weapons, added studs and some rather messed up runes (I need to invest in an engraving machine) but thought sod it and left them as they are screen accurate just a bit all over the place. Did ink washes in black and sepia, painted lots of silver, made the holsters for the axes, affixed the knife's scabbard, gave the hammer's handle a leather wrap and prepared the head for real hair. A metal version of Thorin's 'Goblin Cleaver' arrived and is just the right size!

























You can see the empty knife scabbard on his belt.







View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
They look ace!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:They look ace!

CHEERS!

Thank you very much Roger!

Just as well I went image searching for Balin as he's next, because I found a picture of Dwalin's back and he has much longer hair than I had thought! So I'll obviously keep that in mind laying his real hair, would have sucked to find out afterwards!!



I thought Balin might be simpler but no way, crazy complex patterns all over his clothing, the material itself is a pattern, then stitched into patterns, then complex embroidery is added.. affraid If you zoom in on that pic with the text from a book of behind the scenes, head the costume designer and creator says there was so much work in Balin's costume they had to outsource it even though they had their own little factory!











Thorin with 'Goblin Cleaver' for size reference.





View user profile

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
Dealing looks awesome. Excellent work.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
That looks like it's going to be fun!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Dealing looks awesome. Excellent work.

Who? Wink  Thanks Mark!

Rogerbee wrote:That looks like it's going to be fun!

CHEERS!

More like a nightmare.. I'm looking into gold pencils and pastels as markers are hopeless, they either bleed when working, don't work or just vomit their contents over everything! Even if I could find a decent gold paint brushing it onto a velvet material could be pretty messy for the clean geometric patterns needed.

Pretty much finished Dwalin now, just want to add some glossy clear to his eyes, lips and teeth, redo his earings paint and add light purple/pink to his scar tissue. I think I'll do 'finished threads' for them in pairs i.e. two Dwarves to a thread.









































View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
I take back my previous statement that he was nearly perfection incarnate and I apply it to this new posting.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
He does look really good.

How about splodging some marker ink onto a piece of card and applying it with either a very thin brush or a pin?

CHEERS!

View user profile
Daaaaammmn! Pure madness seeing this come together. Can't even believe how good this is looking. Incredible.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
GubernatorFan wrote:I take back my previous statement that he was nearly perfection incarnate and I apply it to this new posting.

Only 'nearly' now? Wink

Rogerbee wrote:He does look really good.

How about splodging some marker ink onto a piece of card and applying it with either a very thin brush or a pin?

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger, tried that before without much success, the 'ink/paint' tends to dry super fast and you just end up with a gooey puddle and a ruined brush. Most of the metallic markers seem to be alcohol based even when they say they're acrylic.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Daaaaammmn!  Pure madness seeing this come together.  Can't even believe how good this is looking.  Incredible.

Thank you very much RS!

Done all the little paint bits I wanted so he is officially finished now, I promise! Looking very outnumbered with the Wraith!!









Did his fingernails too with paint and gloss.

















The flash kind of kills his details but it was that or completely dark! Wink









Ordered a gold pencil and thought I'd give these markers a try..





View user profile

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
Man, he turned out amazing. All the building that went into this figure... I wish I had that kind of ambition.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Wonderful work Alex, you have created a great looking Dwalin, your attention to detail, to say nothing of your ability to custom make it, is truly admirable.


Cheers,

Peter.


View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Yeah, those markers could work. You could always try bare metal foil or even gold leaf.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Yep...In the midst of all those rascally wraiths, poor little Dwalin ain't got a chance.

Fear not, Dwalin. Helps on the way.

Great work, brotha. I'm consistently impressed.

And, I'll be interested to know how those markers work. I've actually tried some similar to those with varying degrees of success.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Man, he turned out amazing. All the building that went into this figure... I wish I had that kind of ambition.

Thank you Mark! Well setting the bench mark higher for myself each time is how I continue to learn and improve my skill set. Plus the challenge makes it far more interesting to me, like a puzzle.

peter the painter wrote:Wonderful work Alex, you have created a great looking Dwalin, your attention to detail, to say nothing of your ability to custom make it, is truly admirable.


Cheers,

Peter.



Thank you Peter! Means a lot!

Rogerbee wrote:Yeah, those markers could work. You could always try bare metal foil or even gold leaf.

CHEERS!

Thought of that but won't work for a bunch of reasons, I appreciate the ideas though! I think I'll end up doing a 2D styled drawing/painting technique where you just show partial bits of the patterns like a trick of the light.

dadrab wrote:Yep...In the midst of all those rascally wraiths, poor little Dwalin ain't got a chance.

Fear not, Dwalin. Helps on the way.

Great work, brotha. I'm consistently impressed.

And, I'll be interested to know how those markers work. I've actually tried some similar to those with varying degrees of success.

LOL! Thank you dadrab! Great narration of his predicament! He'll have to hold them off for a while so just as well I started with the biggest warrior Dwarf!
The markers, like you say will be hit or miss, if they don't work on this I'm sure they'll come in handy for Zoid builds etc..

Got Balin mocked up to get an idea of what I need to do...



View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Depending on the intricacy of the design, you might be able to cut up pieces of gold duct tape and attach them to the cloth. Worked ok on my non-superhero Thor's Anglo-Saxon-design-based tunic, but of course I was dealing with fairly large geometric patterns. Check out The Odinssons thread.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
GubernatorFan wrote:Depending on the intricacy of the design, you might be able to cut up pieces of gold duct tape and attach them to the cloth. Worked ok on my non-superhero Thor's Anglo-Saxon-design-based tunic, but of course I was dealing with fairly large geometric patterns. Check out The Odinssons thread.

I'm afraid it's too complicated and subtle for that, works nicely on the tunic you made though. I might actually get away with not actually doing the subtle gold patterns as there are quite a few pics where you can't see it if it's even there due to all the costume changes he has, I think it's most prominent on his sleeves but there are also the rippled segments around his shoulders to do which is the tailoring of the fabric and not a printed pattern. Started sewing his robes anyway, I'll try and stitch together some borders for it in 'Paint' then print them off on fabric.



















View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Looking great, even if a tad Christmas-y. Smile Yes, these are fairly intricate and narrow. On the Thor tunic I made the narrower, finer lines with gold fabric marker from Alene's, but they weren't quite this fine (or didn't turn out that way). It was a pain, and I was already working with a perhaps less fluffy fabric than what you appear to have on those surfaces.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
Yes Balin does unfortunately have a rather Santa Claus vibe going on...I will be toning down the red but as usual just working with what I've got. Spent the rest of the day using Paint to cut bits of boarder pattern designs from pictures of Balin, resize them and rotate them with sod all success as Paint is vey limited but at least it's okay to use i.e. doesn't fry my brain! The printer actually behaved from the get go so miracles do happen, got a jigsaw's worth of little border pieces to cut out (they're on the cotton self adhesive sheet) and muddle together. I had lined up a load of pics like last time to create instant boarders but the details must have been too small for the printer to manage as they just came out as brown strips.











Had to cut bits like this with Paint as there's very little reference on the internet and unfortunately no sites or pictures dedicated to his embroidery patterns..



View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Just one word: WOW.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
GubernatorFan wrote:Just one word: WOW.

Not sure if that's a 'What the hell are you doing?!' WOW or not! Wink
Can't take a nap, too hot and I'm itching all over from cutting back that big bush in my garden, always forget I must be allergic to it somehow.
Remembered I have some better material to make Balin's robes from, it's a darker red and more of a maroon so should look way better, hard to tell in the pics but there is a big difference in hand.



View user profile
Cut and sewed him some new robes out of the better colour matching material, it has a piping texture in it already which I have used to my advantage for some texture and detail. It's quite thin though so may need some puffing out in places using thin foam or another red material on the inside. Needs some hemming and/or trimming but you get the idea.









View user profile

Stryker2011

avatar
Founding Father
Another ambitious build. Looking good so far.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
That printer technique looks like it might work. If all else fails, just do a battle version and cover it in mud. That's saved my bacon a few times!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Another ambitious build. Looking good so far.

Cheers!

Rogerbee wrote:That printer technique looks like it might work. If all else fails, just do a battle version and cover it in mud. That's saved my bacon a few times!

CHEERS!

LOL, unfortunately his 'battle version' if a gorgeous fully armoured costume! I hope to make some of these one day using casts from Peter's sculpts for the faces inside the helmets..



But yes weathering could certainly help! pirat

I think I just had a 'eureka' moment, he seems to have three sets of robes, his under clothes (trousers and tunic), his main robe with all the boarder embroidery held with a thick belt and an outer robe that has no embroidery but has all the complicated gold patterns in the material and short sleeves. If I don't do the outer robe (he can be seen in the film without it) I can avoid all the gold patterns!

First layer:



Second (main) layer:



Third (outer) layer:



View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Problem solved, get in!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Hours of cutting, pealing and some gluing later..







View user profile
Done the rest of the boarders just need to make his black polygon collar then glue it all in place, perhaps do a lot of sewing too as I never trust glue to last very long.











View user profile
That's a really good start on Balin, You've got me totally hooked on seeing how you make these characters come together, great stuff.



Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

Rogerbee

avatar
Founding Father
Looking good!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Shovelchops81, always amazing. I need to post my wip soon.

View user profile
peter the painter wrote:That's a really good start on Balin, You've got me totally hooked on seeing how you make these characters come together, great stuff.



Cheers,

Peter.

LOL, thanks Peter! And you don't even like LOTR etc.. quite a complement then!

Rogerbee wrote:Looking good!

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger!

MerylAkiba wrote:Shovelchops81, always amazing. I need to post my wip soon.

Just saw you thread and the cool work you're doing on Gothmorg.

Been one of those days, one step forward three back... hot water went of while in the shower while washing my hair, steam had tripped the whole house so the computer then decided it didn't want to live any more so spent a good couple of hours fixing that by repeatedly shocking it ironically (pulling the power plug repeatedly until it decided to reset and behave). Of course this theme continued with Balin, I realised that his robes would look better the other way around because of the seams showing on his sleeves and the sewed on panels showing the way I had it. So I put it on the other way around, sewed up the cut I'd made for the front initially then found that there wasn't enough robe to close at the front so had to unpick all my stitching, leave a gap in the back and glue on a new panel to fill it, by this point I was fed up of sewing only to unpick all the work later. Seems okay now, I'm working on his collar and some dark boarders to go under all the embroidery so it looks more chunky and movie accurate.







Striped and glued the tunic together to reduce bulk and make it more form fitting.







View user profile
Consistently blown away by the amount of research you put into your builds.

That's looking damn good, man.

View user profile
dadrab wrote:Consistently blown away by the amount of research you put into your builds.

That's looking damn good, man.

Thanks dadrab! Just trying to find as many reference pics as possible to do an as accurate build as my time and skills allow bearing in mind how many there are to make!

Doesn't look like I've done much but been gluing and cutting, then not happy so ripping off, recutting and glueing etc.. taking a while to get him sort of right, understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics of the same costume due to all the costume variants used.



View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
Looking great, and no longer so Santa Claus. You mentioned one can buy this printable cotton stock. Is the use of it limited to specific kinds of printers, and if so, what?


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
GubernatorFan wrote:Looking great, and no longer so Santa Claus. You mentioned one can buy this printable cotton stock. Is the use of it limited to specific kinds of printers, and if so, what?

You must be stressed, forgot the magic words! Wink
It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

View user profile
That painstaking work on Balin's robe is really paying off, he's coming together very nicely, looking forward to your next update, I do like LOTR, I have the Jackson movies, the extended ones, I read the books when I was 17, even drew some character illustrations from them, before there were any commercial ones around.



Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
peter the painter wrote:That painstaking work on Balin's robe is really paying off, he's coming together very nicely, looking forward to your next update, I do like LOTR, I have the Jackson movies, the extended ones, I read the books when I was 17, even drew some character illustrations  from them, before there were any commercial ones around.



Cheers,

Peter.

OOPS! Sorry Peter, must have been thinking of another member that follows my threads LOL! I did the same with pen and ink wash drawings, I even had an illustration commissioned of 'Gandalf vs. The Balrog' for a Greek translation of LOTR, got a framed copy of it in my bedroom, crazy ex-girlfriend burnt the original, or rather the crazy guy who had kidnapped her and her kids then set her house on fire...was in the papers years back..I lived a nuttier life back then! Wink That wasn't my fault though!Crying or Very sad Ah well back to safer thoughts like gluing stuff! Laughing

View user profile

GubernatorFan

avatar
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

Thank you very much.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
shovelchop81 wrote:...understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics ...

I use that same kind of mindset when working on my old cars, i.e. "How the hell must they have done that on an assembly line?"

Sometimes it works and I can visualize a clear path. Other times...well...not so much. Very Happy

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

Thank you very much.

You're welcome! Wink

dadrab wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:...understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics ...

I use that same kind of mindset when working on my old cars, i.e. "How the hell must they have done that on an assembly line?"

Sometimes it works and I can visualize a clear path. Other times...well...not so much. Very Happy

Transmission boxes...not fun!! Especially trying to mate after market gear sets to after market boxes and bearings! The tolerance differences on custom Harley builds can be a nightmare needing machine work. And then the customer asks why it cost so much since he ordered the cheapest parts!Rolling Eyes

Talking of time consuming fiddly stuff... just finished all the boarder work!cheers I had to literally measure the backing material (black with red stitches) to the closest mm for each piece as there was virtually none left over when I'd finished, I had to to glue together little pieces on the back just to get enough to complete the look there. I'll go over any glue with black ink etc.. I had hoped I could clear coat the printed embroidery parts with acrylic but it ruins the print as shown below in one of the pics, the one on the right being the clear coated one and on the left untouched; a shame as I know this ink fades badly over time😢 . I'll do something about the white showing boarder edges/connections, probably using coloured pencils.























View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum