OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 13]

Looking great, very clever stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
peter the painter wrote:Looking great, very clever stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Since the ink's already fading just from handling it I'm treating it like a tattoo alcohol rub transfer pattern and going over it with multiple media and colours to preserve the patterns and hopefully end up with a more movie accurate colouration than the printer gave me in the first place. It won't look as pretty close up but on display it should read as Balin's robes better than before. I completed the collar as it was missing bits on the sides and have a plan for his pixie boots.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Wow. That is looking good. All the little puzzle piece seams are barely noticeable. Nicely done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Yes, indeed...

Love the top stitching - and everything else.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow. That is looking good. All the little puzzle piece seams are barely noticeable. Nicely done.

dadrab wrote:Yes, indeed...

Love the top stitching - and everything else.

Well that was the idea at first, then I noticed how the ink was fading so decided to save the pattern while I still could. Conveniently the stitching was already in the material used I just had to cut it and apply it where it was needed. Finished the pattern, looks good on display just don't judge it under a microscope! Wink
Made his gauntlets, started his boots and belt too.

View user profile
Looks really impressive.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
It's cool how it all comes together.

View user profile
MerylAkiba wrote:It's cool how it all comes together.

Cheers! A lot of time consuming and repetitive work needed on this build so not very exciting for those following the build but I'm trying to get him right.

Those pens turned up, not sure about the gold yet but the white was a huge surprise! Works really well, I'm still baffled just how it works scratch . It's almost like the bleach and ink techniques I used way back in paintings but doesn't smell of bleach or anything like ammonia etc.. it works on glossy sealed card with a dark background but doesn't seem to be paint or one of those Tipex pens (whiteout/liquid paper etc..) that we all used back in the day before word-processors, laptops were the norm. Anyway..this meant I did the patterns all over again! Finished now, surprised I'm not seeing the bloody patterns in my sleep!
More patterns to do though...he has diamond quilting patterns on his main robe so I'm using foam sandwiched between the outer red and an inner black material (first time I've done this so quickly learnt you do need both materials or the thread just rips through the foam DOH). This is of course a lot of sewing so will take time even though it's a simplified version of the actual 1:1 pattern that has non aligned diamond shapes that contain spiderweb like details. I'll also have to do the vertical lines on the robe's forearms the same way (which is actually over the diamond patterns on the 1:1 version but sod that! I'm not a complete masochist). I've done the back of his collar differently as the official one looks way too much like sailor's uniform which is about as un-Dwarf like as you can get! Plus I think the polygonal shape looks much better and in keeping with Dwarven design IMO.

I See Asmus Is Releasing Thorin... Interesting...Might leave him till last..

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
He looks ace!

Sorry I've been off air for a bit. The hub packed in and I had no internet access. Dad rang BT and they thought it was the ADSL filter. They sent a new one yesterday, I plugged it in, but to no avail. I rang them and they then said it was the hub that was dead and they sent a new one today. It all works! Hooray!

CHEERS!

View user profile
peter the painter wrote:Looks really impressive.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Rogerbee wrote:He looks ace!

Sorry I've been off air for a bit. The hub packed in and I had no internet access. Dad rang BT and they thought it was the ADSL filter. They sent a new one yesterday, I plugged it in, but to no avail. I rang them and they then said it was the hub that was dead and they sent a new one today. It all works! Hooray!

CHEERS!

Virgin replaced mine a few weeks back when I thought windows 10 was not installing properly, turned out the hub was on the blink, got bloody confusing between that and all the reinstalls, boot CD fixes, Win 7 reinstall and a USB with Win 10 that the F12 and F2 menus couldn't find!

Done one front panel of his robe, a day's worth of sewing! Bloody black ink's rubbed off the pattern on that side so I'm going to redo it then seal it with clear and just hope it doesn't run/smudge!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
It's frustrating when you don't have the internet after having taken it for granted. That said, my first thought when I woke up this morning wasn't that I needed to surf, which it had been previously.

That robe looks ace!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Thanks Roger! Well at least you can leave the house and go to the pub without your adrenaline going nuts! Wink Crying or Very sad

Done half of the second panel, seems to look wonky due to the foam pushing back but also seems to straighten out when I do the stitching for the other lines that bisect the first ones making the diamond pattern.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Holy cow, that's a lot of work, SC. Looking great, though, with that extra thread lines to make the quilted pattern. You are a work-horse, my friend.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
You continue to amaze me, although by now I am well-used to your talents (or should be). Keep up the great work.

Very inspiring how you master challenge after challenge.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Nicely done!

Pub!? LOL, I've been teetotal since 2003 so that's unlikely!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Holy cow, that's a lot of work, SC. Looking great, though, with that extra thread lines to make the quilted pattern. You are a work-horse, my friend.

Cheers! Really hoping the next one is asymmetrical!! Very Happy

GubernatorFan wrote:You continue to amaze me, although by now I am well-used to your talents (or should be). Keep up the great work.

Thanks GF! I just make it up as I go along as usual! Wink

Ovy wrote:That project is Nobel Prize material! (Is there a 1/6 scale Nobel Prize Medal?)

Very inspiring how you master challenge after challenge.

Thank you and welcome aboard Ovy! That's such a nice thing to hear after all the crap I get for my sword and gun collection on FB! Laughing

Rogerbee wrote:Nicely done!

Pub!? LOL, I've been teetotal since 2003 so that's unlikely!

CHEERS!

Thanks! Cafe then? Wink

Finished the diamond pattern at last. Got the sleeves next, might have to undo a bunch of work to get in there though...

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Those last photos have come a really long way from where you started.

Freaking mad skills !!

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Turned out pretty cool. I like his belt too. Great job.

View user profile
What a coat. Got to agree with Peter on that...it's a stand-alone masterpiece.

So well done, Sir Chop.

View user profile
He needs a bell and a nice Santa head. And some elves to push around. Very Happy

That diamond pattern is just perfect.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
He is outstanding!

I don't drink tea or coffee either! A smoothie might cut it, LOL!

CHEERS!

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:Those last photos have come a really long way from where you started.

LOL, I hope so or I've wasted a lot of time, ink and thread! Or do you mean the actual photos are better? In that case it would just be luck!  Wink

Allotropos wrote:That coat came out super AMAZING ShovelChop !!
Freaking mad skills !!

Thank you! Still got a lot to do...

peter the painter wrote:Amazing! Balins coat is a work of art in itself.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks to the costume designers at Wetta Studios it is indeed a super intricate masterpiece of tailoring and embroidery which is making it bloody hard for me!  Laughing

Stryker2011 wrote:Turned out pretty cool. I like his belt too. Great job.

Cheers for noticing! That too needs more intricate detail work, even has some triangular stirrup brass pieces and I have no idea what they are for! I would normally think they were for hanging throwing axes but he doesn't have any weird..  scratch

dadrab wrote:What a coat. Got to agree with Peter on that...it's a stand-alone masterpiece.

So well done, Sir Chop.

Thank you dadrab, not done yet though.

Ovy wrote:He needs a bell and a nice Santa head. And some elves to push around. Very Happy

That diamond pattern is just perfect.

Yeah they definitely gave him a Scandinavian Santa/Gnome look he even has pixie boots! Thanks for appreciating the diamond stitching.

Rogerbee wrote:He is outstanding!

I don't drink tea or coffee either! A smoothie might cut it, LOL!

CHEERS!

Well he's standing which is something...although his body hasn't completely escaped the chop shop yet, he still needs swivel thighs and a swivel elbow.

Got sod all done today figure wise, been very much a gun day up to my ears in electronic paper work ordering a new gas sniper and a Kriss Vector I found second hand.. cheers

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Best get swiveling then!

CHEERS!

View user profile
LOL, thought I'd finish his robes first. Started the pattern on his sleeves, same deal as the diamonds but just straight lines (or as straight as I can sew by hand!). I'll have a go at the outer robe too afterwards, might work or might be as disaster Wink .

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
You're going great guns here, you may well have found your forte.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:You're going great guns here, you may well have found your forte.

CHEERS!

What sewing? I'll take making armour over that any day of the week! Wink

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
I was thinking more of fantasy/LOTR bashes.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Aha! Well as you know I tend to bounce around from Iron Man to Star Wars to LOTR and the occasional violent ancient warrior or two when the mood takes me...

Done with the sewing on this robe, still need to fashion clasps for it, finish the belt and have ordered some fine tipped Sharpie markers to redo the pattern for the last time. Doing the boots now, will have a go at the outer robe tomorrow I think then it's time to make his glaive/sword.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
You'd never know that they didn't exist till you got your hands on them!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:You'd never know that they didn't exist till you got your hands on them!

CHEERS!

Er..What? You just confused the crap out of me now Roger! Laughing Wink

View user profile
I continue to be surprised at your ability to problem solve in your pursuit of accuracy, and to be amazed at how well you address them.
The robe looks excellent, really looking forward to your next update.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
^^What he said.^^

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:

What I meant was that until you built them they weren't ever made in that scale.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:

What I meant was that until you built them they weren't ever made in that scale.

CHEERS!

Oh right, got you now, cheers!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
LOL! We all have those moments.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Been busy setting up and reviewing a couple of new airsoft guns as I write and do pictorial reviews on those at another forum too.
I have got some work done on Balin though, completely redid all the embroidery pattern work using new markers and that white one to give me a clean start. I've also been doing a bit of 1/6 cobbling hammering tiny eyelet rivets into his boots for his laces, quite time consuming. I'm also trying a new idea to make his belt accessories as bending little bits of brass wasn't getting the results I want so I'm now planning to use bits of gold model sprues/runners to make them; I still don't even know what they are or what they're for! Laughing
I've also included pics I took for the Asmus Thorin thread and put them here as I'd been planning on showing my 1:1 Dwarf weapon collection here anyway with some comparison pieces from other races in the LOTR world; these are all sharp, heavy and bloody dangerous around bare feet! Thorin's Dwarf sword is way too small sadly and I think his Elven sword is a bit big. You can see my 1/6 versions for comparison.

DONE! NEVER TOUCHING IT AGAIN! tongue

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Some very clever stuff going on there. Great looking boots too.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Some very clever stuff going on there. Great looking boots too.

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger! They're still a ways from being done though, got milliput to do etc..

Been concentrating on the outer robe now so lots of cutting and sewing with a bit of glue to help keep the edging in place as I still need to sew all that before I can even start on the complex shoulder parts or that dreaded gold pattern etc..

View user profile
Just to show it fitted after the borders were sewn on, I'll wire it or something so not to hide all the work underneath in poses.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Seeing it together like that makes him look so good, he'll be a cracker when he's finished. These are certainly your best work yet.

CHEERS!

View user profile
All your painstaking work is certainly paying off, looking great.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
That is a marvel. Looking really cool. A lot of hard work is definitely paying off.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Your attention to detail, while entirely appropriate, continues to amaze. Keep up the great work.

The robe looks excellent, really looking forward to your next update.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thank you very much Peter! Sorry I missed replying there, got confused by my own thread! LOL.

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Seeing it together like that makes him look so good, he'll be a cracker when he's finished. These are certainly your best work yet.

CHEERS!

peter the painter wrote:All your painstaking work is certainly paying off, looking great.

Cheers,

Peter.

Stryker2011 wrote:That is a marvel. Looking really cool. A lot of hard work is definitely paying off.

GubernatorFan wrote:Your attention to detail, while entirely appropriate, continues to amaze. Keep up the great work.

Thanks guys! It's slow going but we'll get there! Wink

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Indeed we will....

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Indeed we will....

CHEERS!

Thanks for your patience and mine! Laughing

More sewing to make his arm bands on the outer robe, I used a suede material for this from a jewellery gift bag or fancy pen presentation cover, I forget where it came from aside from my bag of red bits! Used wrap cord from an old pair of Korean fisherman trousers I wore out long ago for the black. Shoulder pads next..

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum