OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bifur, My New Secret Weapon On 1/6 Eyes!!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

GubernatorFan wrote:Funny how they look like a bunch of disparate parts almost randomly put together, yet at the end they will look just like the real thing.

LOL!
Definition of build. built \ˈbilt\; building. transitive verb. 1 : to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole wrote:

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Looking good,

Notifications must be off again, I didn't get one for last night's post or the one above.

CHEERS!

View user profile
I'm getting them, not sure if they're in real time though as I haven't checked, been busy dremelling! Wink

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Got that one!

Makes me laugh that a mean dwarf is wearing Austin Powers underpants. "Oh behave!"

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Got that one! Makes me laugh that a mean dwarf is wearing Austin Powers underpants. "Oh behave!"

That's what they are! I knew they somehow looked familiar but couldn't place them. Smile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Yeah baby!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Got that one!

Makes me laugh that a mean dwarf is wearing Austin Powers underpants. "Oh behave!"

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:Got that one! Makes me laugh that a mean dwarf is wearing Austin Powers underpants. "Oh behave!"

That's what they are! I knew they somehow looked familiar but couldn't place them. Smile

Rogerbee wrote:Yeah baby!

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Oh, behave! Smile

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:Oh, behave! Smile

Never! Twisted Evil

MerylAkiba wrote:These look great. How do you get started? I buy a ton of loose parts, and for some reason, I don't know how to start?

I just think of the builds like puzzles and have a vague overall picture in my head but mostly just tackle one bit at a time like problem solving. If you try and think about everything required at once it will just get confusing and drive you mad! Wink I hope that helps! Also as you can see I sort out any possibly useful parts in the beginning so I know what I have to work with but it doesn't mean I have to use all of it.

View user profile
Alex the Dwarfs are coming along very nicely indeed, your problem solving skills are admirable.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
peter the painter wrote:Alex the Dwarfs are coming along very nicely indeed, your problem solving skills are admirable.

Cheers,

Peter.

Not you too with the big gap then 'cheers'! Roger's always catching me out with his as it is! Wink
Thank you, I'll need to problem solve a lot on these builds as absolutely nothing is stock/off the peg!

Padded his back out as I'd planned then dressed him up to be in 'the ballpark' of his costume, still loads to do (change the boots for a start) and he's the easy one! The others all have complicated Dwarven patterns in their clothing (he does too but it's so faint) so I've been downloading a large amount of Dwarven/Celtic/Scandinavian boarder patterns to print off at a later date. Found I have plenty of different kinds of ink jet printable fabrics to use for that. I raided my Hasbro SW figures for boots and realised they had plenty of clothing to offer too, I had no idea Luke, Obi-Wan and Anakin were closet cross-dressers! Laughing Leotards and crop tops! Oh and some random non 1/6 scale stuff too including that 1/4 dark blue Kungfu shirt that might work as a coat for Thorin.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Coming along very nicely. The whole inkjet printable paper is a new thing to me. Thanks for showcasing it, I will be looking into it eventually.

It can be very useful!

Pics showing how I might use a 1/4 jacket as a coat for a 1/6 Dwarf! Used the new special dremel bit to articulate the biceps and thighs, still getting the hang of it, not the easiest thing to control; I think it would work better on harder plastic as this stuff is very rubbery. Doesn't look pretty but works. Shaved that fur down, not easy even with no guard at all, the fake fur is very slippery and doesn't like to get caught to be cut, using white to blend in with the brown as bleach doesn't work.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Their coming along nicely, SC. Cool use of all the left over clothing and material.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
More great stuff, and again, no notification emails!

I have one of those Bruce Lee outfits on my Fist of Fury figure.

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I love that you are adding the extra articulation on the biceps and thighs, although it does look like a pain. Not to mention all the figures you have to do it for. This is dedication, for sure.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Their coming along nicely, SC. Cool use of all the left over clothing and material.

Cheers! Uses it up and beats making it from scratch, I always find modifying stuff to work is easier for me having a place to start from, other builders like a clean slate.

Rogerbee wrote:More great stuff, and again, no notification emails!

I have one of those Bruce Lee outfits on my Fist of Fury figure.

CHEERS!

I don't think yours would fit ironically! Well not as a coat  Wink  Is that the Medicom one you have? Damn I remember when that was released and SSC and Medicom were at the top for 1/6 figures..and Marmit!

GubernatorFan wrote:I love that you are adding the extra articulation on the biceps and thighs, although it does look like a pain. Not to mention all the figures you have to do it for. This is dedication, for sure.

Thanks! It will get old soon enough, luckily each figure needs to be slightly different.

blackpool wrote:man this thread is fascinating, the mods are insaaaaaane and the result is gonna be outstanding, I just can't wait!!!

Well I hope not to disappoint! The mods are more necessary than insane! Laughing Wink

Just doing the builds in 'bite sized' portions while working on guns too so I don't get burnt out, that's why Dwalin ended up with gun grease on his tunic!! Embarassed Wink  Call it earlier than planned weathering!
The string ties are costume accurate although I'll ink them with sepia.

View user profile
Why are printers always a royal pain in the arse? Mine decided it didn't want to work with windows 10 (this was after a couple of hours trying to remember how to use Windows Paint to shrink, cut and paste various pics together so they can be printed on one sheet of A4 and be the correct size for 1/6, this really isn't my forte so I was already irritated) at all even after I reinstalled the drivers off the DVD that came with it. So I went on line to find possible updates and Canon seem to recognise every other product they have ever made except for my printer and it's not that old, a nice 3 in 1 PIXMA MG3100, but they skip from MG3040 to MG3140! Anyway after hours of cursing and trying all kinds of work a rounds I finally found some driver and system updates for it, took a while to install then still didn't work until I realised the PC thought there were two printers with the same name and was choosing the old set up as a default so I got rid of that non-existent 'device'. Finally got it to print on paper at least so then had to reset some size parameters before I printed on cotton, now you can see the printed results, the stacked brown patters will be cut narrower and used for Dwalin's coat's front boarders and the rest is just filler patterns that might be handy later, I didn't want to waste the cotton as it's not like  cheap A4 paper! I only have a limited amount.

The cobbled together image:

The paper test print on the right:

The fabric/cotton print with resized patterns and a higher quality finish:

Needs trimming like I said but I accounted for that due to the odd shape of the repeated photograph of the pattern I used as a base to get brown.

Not exact by any means but should do the trick...Just realised you can't even see it on the PC! I've been using my tablet for reference pics which is much sharper and clearer!Rolling Eyes

Different costume but with similar sized borders which aren't the same Celtic/Dwarven pattern he has on the coat I'm using for reference..gets bloody confusing! I said they have a lot of costume changes!!

Another of his costumes..no boarder on this at all..

And another..

These are just the ones I've noticed!

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nice work on the pattern for Dwalin’s coat. That’s going to look pretty cool.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
More great work, and no emails again!

I don't know what my FoF outfit is from, I got it cheap off eBay, all I know is that it fits my Bruce.

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:More great work, and no emails again!

I agree about the great work, but insofar as I can tell, e-mail notifications depend on your own personal profile settings.

AAAARRRGGHHH!!! After just getting the printer work great I've killed Win 10! Apparently there was an unannounced 24hr upgrade (takes 24hrs) and I just thought my PC got stuck so restarted it after a few hours now can't get it to do anything! Trying to get it in safe mode with networking but so far all the techniques I've tried from Google on my phone won't work. Any ideas guys? Already ordered a reboot DVD etc..

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Ewww! That sucks. Sorry, can’t help. Haven’t used Windows for 12 years now.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:AAAARRRGGHHH!!! After just getting the printer work great I've killed Win 10! Apparently there was an unannounced 24hr upgrade (takes 24hrs) and I just thought my PC got stuck so restarted it after a few hours now can't get it to do anything! Trying to get it in safe mode with networking but so far all the techniques I've tried from Google on my phone won't work. Any ideas guys? Already ordered a reboot DVD etc..

We'll keep this side of things to PM's now.

CHEERS!

View user profile
I must say, amid all the brilliance that's a "Chop build," I did laugh out loud at the Union Jack underwear.

It just struck me as funny.

Carry on, brah. Though absent from comment for a few days, you know I'm watching.

View user profile
Finally got the very basics of Win 10 up and running again, lost all my files and programs of course, bugger... amidst all that chaos also managed to get Dwalin nearly done, needs tattoos, weapons finished and knuckle guards made etc..

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looks pretty cool. Glad to hear you’re getting your computer issues worked out.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
He's coming along very nicely. Glad to see your computer is back on its way to being operational.

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Looking good!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Alex, Dwalin is coming along very well indeed, that is impressive work.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks pretty cool. Glad to hear you’re getting your computer issues worked out.

GubernatorFan wrote:He's coming along very nicely. Glad to see your computer is back on its way to being operational.

Rogerbee wrote:Looking good!

CHEERS!

Thanks guys! Getting there slowly with the PC and Dwalin!

peter the painter wrote:Alex, Dwalin is coming along very well indeed, that is impressive work.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thank you Peter! Things are a bit basic and rough in some cases but it all takes time to build a foundation for the details. Been hampered by loosing all my reference pics so been trawling through hundreds of pictures to save for Dwalin alone!

Everything's a bit rough as I just said so don't judge it as finished at all, taking my time as stuff needs to cure and dry while I have to attend to other things related and not related to these projects..

Swapped out hands..

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Certainly coming together, surprised you can do anything at all in this heat!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Certainly coming together, surprised you can do anything at all in this heat!

CHEERS!

Iwas just thinking the same thing! Smile

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Glad to see you are back (or still) at it.

Cheers! Concentrating on the details now like the rivets on his boots, belt buckle etc.. Changed out his left hand again as the colour didn't quite match the right one and more importantly the ink for the tattoos smudged when I applied matte clear. I also changed out one of the axe handles to make them a matching pair since I knew it would bug me otherwise Wink . Bits and bobs, it just takes time redoing stuff so I'm happy with it.

The lighter hand on the right (his left hand) is the one that later smudges.

Harder to tell in the pics but the ink went 'runny' with the clear coat.

View user profile
Still messing with the PC, turns out Shareit doesn't work with Win10 so had to remove it and download/install set up etc.. Roamit instead for all my devices so I could transfer reference pics to this PC, should have just used the imgur app now I think of it but wanted them all in the same folder at least on one device!
Ink washed the hands and arms so they blend better and show up the wrinkles and battle scars as well as muting the tattoos, does look better in hand than in the pics. Also added rolled up sleeves to be more costume accurate, done some initial paint on the boots and filed down the axe heads to match. Got some sculpting to do next, his big war hammer and the knuckle duster plate parts too.

You can see his knife on the right here.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
That is looking bad-@$$. Love it.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:That is looking bad-@$$. Love it.

Thanks! Going to give him real hair on the back of his head too as I preffer the look of it and it doesn't compromise articulation.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Really coming together!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Alex Kudos, Dwalin is looking great, I edited out the background from one of your pics, it shows up more clearly the amount of detailed work you have done to the figure so far, hope you don't mind.

J0jc7AS by Peter Miles, on Flickr

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Really coming together!

CHEERS!

Thank you Roger!

peter the painter wrote:Alex Kudos, Dwalin is looking great, I edited out the background from one of your pics, it shows up more clearly the amount of detailed work you have done to the figure so far, hope you don't mind.

J0jc7AS by Peter Miles, on Flickr

Cheers,

Peter.

Excellent idea and thank you! I'd never have the patience with a CAD program to do that, something always goes wrong 100x ! Crying or Very sad I just snap off pics and keep building, I do bother to choose the ones in focus most of the time though! Laughing It's a good way of isolating the work though for comparisons to TRT so I might use some black card in future now and again like I used to in my little bedsit years ago.

View user profile
Made a scabbard for his dagger from an old Sting one cut down and glued back together. Also started his war hammer, it's amazing how long it can take to get a piece of milliput symmetrical in all directions when you need geometric shapes...I must have spent hours just squishing it back and forth while using tools to flatten edges...quite hypnotising at times!Shocked Got a good base hammer head now though to build on..

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Nice,

Couldn't you have found an oblong in whatever size you needed and worked from that? Something like an ammo box or some such?

CHEERS!

View user profile
Damn fine efforts thus far, Chop. I'm hanging on every post.

Thank you, sir.

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Nice,

Couldn't you have found an oblong in whatever size you needed and worked from that? Something like an ammo box or some such?

CHEERS!

I can't believe I didn't think of that, I'm an idiot! Oh well out of practice sculpting clay so probably good to keep my hand in now and again.. Could have just used Lego!

dadrab wrote:Damn fine efforts thus far, Chop. I'm hanging on every post.

Thank you, sir.

Cheers dadrab!

Done all the sculpting on the hammer, next will be sanding/filing etc.. especially on the the 'neck', modded the axes too. Sculpted the knuckle duster 'metal' parts (I couldn't think of any easier way for those Wink ) and have all the accoutrements ready to build them. Also added detail straps and buckles to his leather 'webbing'(?) or weight lifting harness?

Looks 'off' but it's not.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
You live and learn!

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Very nice warrior dwarf. Love the details. I wonder if a thin semi-translucent layer of paint won't dull the tatoos a bit to make them more realistic.

CHEERS!

That's the irony though, my skill set is usually making things from other mundane things!

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nice warrior dwarf. Love the details. I wonder if a thin semi-translucent layer of paint won't dull the tatoos a bit to make them more realistic.

Good idea although they do look much better in hand no pun intended, the sepia ink helped a lot. Might add some matte clear over the sepia. Need to file and sand all the weapons now, milliput really gums up files! So much so I have to use paint stripper on them afterwards..

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum