OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. Empty [WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Hey folks.

I started working on painting a Tony Barton head sculpt I've had kicking around for a couple of years, first time ever attempting one of his sculpts, hoping to do it justice!
Here it is after getting some washes on to cover the cast and block out the colouring.
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 28434580047_249b5bb5af_c
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 28434580067_6b12238b11_c

I'm using acrylics, run of the mill dollar store/ walmart brands.
I was able to get a decent chunk of painting done while my kid was down for a nap.

I got the eyes whited-in, and stubble started, too.

[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 43303758341_8d7bbb7b55_c
Not entirely sure what the head will actually go to as of yet, but it's good practice. I may be having 2-4 commission figures upcoming using TB heads.

This is not 1/6 (half that scale, around 1/10 or 1/12) but I also finished this guy during that nap. Lemme tell ya, doing eyes on that scale can be a pain in the butt!
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 28428929997_f5c36cb4b9_c

View user profile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good start on that TB head sculpt.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. TCFITBi
View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Good start on that TB head sculpt.

Thanks man, appreciate that!

View user profile
That's coming along very nicely.

View user profile
dadrab wrote:That's coming along very nicely.

Thanks! Gonna start the eyes soon.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Color me impressed... especially the finished work on the smaller scale.

View user profile
Aw, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate that! Painting has always been trouble for me, especially being colourblind. The more you do the better you get, though.

View user profile
That is really nice work.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

10[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. Empty Re: [WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 am

peter the painter wrote:That is really nice work.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks a lot Peter, I really appreciate that, man!

View user profile

11[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. Empty Re: [WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Okay, I have to ask. Being color-blind, what do you see? Any colors at all? My Dad was color blind, but only for certain colors. How do you paint from dark to light? I know I’m probably being too nosy, but I find it fascinating how people can over-come limitations like that and still achieve good results.

View user profile

12[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. Empty Re: [WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Stryker2011 wrote:Okay, I have to ask. Being color-blind, what do you see? Any colors at all? My Dad was color blind, but only for certain colors. How do you paint from dark to light? I know I’m probably being too nosy, but I find it fascinating how people can over-come limitations like that and still achieve good results.

Heh well thankfully I'm only partially colourblind, what's called a Red/Green deficiency, but if affects everything in the spectrum.

My grandpa and one of his brothers were both totally black and white colourblind though.
My little brother and myself both have a red/green deficiency.

I took traditional animation in college, which included a lot of traditional painting and colour theory.

But basically, I ask questions...but some people can abuse that and tell the wrong colours as a joke.

In figure painting, I read other people's tutorials and follow what they list as colours and their steps.
I try to to keep my painting pretty basic, however if there's no one to ask I'll look up references and colour mixing recipes and try my best to get it to where I think it should be.

View user profile

13[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. Empty Re: [WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
In the words of Mr. Spock:

Fascinating!

Thanks for sharing. I'm always curious about that. I know my Dad's second (ex) wife used to have to bundle his socks together, because he couldn't differentiate between black, brown, blue. I didn't even know that much about him until I was probably 15 or 16.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:In the words of Mr. Spock:

Fascinating!

Thanks for sharing. I'm always curious about that. I know my Dad's second (ex) wife used to have to bundle his socks together, because he couldn't differentiate between black, brown, blue. I didn't even know that much about him until I was probably 15 or 16.

My pleasure, happy to!

Heh, reminds me, my grandpa used to have a raspberry patch. He'd pick little baskets full quite frequently, however my grandma would have to go through and get rid of the ones that weren't quite ripe. I'm not sure if he picked by feel or just whatever he could see, haha.

View user profile
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 43324063892_af049b5751_c

Little update. Refined the face a little, starting on the eyes.

View user profile
PickleMunkey wrote:
dadrab wrote:That's coming along very nicely.
Thanks! Gonna start the eyes soon.
Ahh the eyes...the smallest part can be the biggest pain especially with my broken eyesight and shaky hands !
So far looking so good though - I dont think you'll have anything to worry about tbh
looking forward to more updates soon !

Ahh the eyes...the smallest part can be the biggest pain especially with my broken eyesight and shaky hands !
So far looking so good though - I dont think you'll have anything to worry about tbh
looking forward to more updates soon !

Heh thanks man! So far they are a lot easier than my smaller Star Wars toys, so that's nice.

Also I think I've found what I'm gonna do with the head, gonna re-vamp my 'Nam Medic!

View user profile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looking good so far. I gave up trying to do eyes by hand since there are those iris decals out there.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Looking good so far. I gave up trying to do eyes by hand since there are those iris decals out there.

Eye decals? Hmmm tell us more.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Here's just one example on eBay

Thanks Mark!

I took my time and used a brush. Think it turned out okay for my first time.
Here he is pre-sealing.
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 41636651330_5f1194e6ef_c

And post-sealing, with some floor polish used for gloss on the eyes, mouth, and some sweat areas.
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 41636651290_811d07df5e_c

And fully assembled.
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 42539172605_92625469ff_c
[WIP] First Tony Barton head sculpt repaint. 42539172635_0580423cd2_c

He's on an old Sideshow body modded to accommodate the Barton neck. The uniform is an old ACE one, which was so terribly sunbleached, it was almost white. I sprayed it with some OD spray paint, gave it a boil in some salt water and it was all set.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It worked out beautifully with the finished kitbash!

Thanks man! Appreciate that!

View user profile
Absolute Great. Don´t forget Friends.... the pictures are not 1:1 . They are enlarged. So the real paint job looks better.  Love the Pictures. Not to have a Tony barton sculpt is a scandal, after watching Your pictures i really need one Very Happy

maybe Mr. Barton can do some sculpts with Silicon ? Will be easy to do some mods with that

View user profile
Ephiane wrote:Absolute Great. Don´t forget Friends.... the pictures are not 1:1 . They are enlarged. So the real paint job looks better.  Love the Pictures. Not to have a Tony barton sculpt is a scandal, after watching Your pictures i really need one Very Happy

maybe Mr. Barton can do some sculpts with Silicon ? Will be easy to do some mods with that

Heh thanks! The sculpt paints up so nicely. I'm sure you could really kick butt with one. You could always try reaching out to TB and seeing if he'd do some in silicone...couldn't hurt!

This was definitely good practice, for me. Now if my buddy can decide which TB heads he wants for the commissions I'm gonna do, I could put in an order and get 'em painted up.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good, PM. He kind of reminds of a young Peter Falk.

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good, PM. He kind of reminds of a young Peter Falk.

Thanks Stryker!
Man, I can totally see that comparison now, too.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nice job!

I find Darren Carnall on Patreon to be very helpful and inspirational. It'll cost you $5 a month to see the full tutorials, but, it's well worth it. Here's a sample of one he did:

Enjoy!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Nice job!

I find Darren Carnall on Patreon to be very helpful and inspirational. It'll cost you $5 a month to see the full tutorials, but, it's well worth it. Here's a sample of one he did:

Enjoy!

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger!

Damn, that's a great video, may have to check out some more of Darren's stuff!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Totally, it's worth the money and Darren is a really nice guy.

CHEERS!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum