OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:38 pm

This is a figure I've wanted to get underway for awhile, and now, after getting a flak jacket in, I've finally got a pretty good start on him.

DiD's old Ricky Foster head is okay for a Matthew Modine, as long as I keep the helmet on.
I've also got a 1/6 template for some 'Nam era Birth Control glasses I plan on using, though I know he had more of a wire-frame set in the film. I'll see what I can find though.

Also I'm in the process of recreating some 60's era buttons and stuff to distribute amongst my troops.

I applied his helmet graffiti today at work, need to give it some washes to tone down the helmet cover though.

View user profile

2 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Pretty cool. Nicely done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

3 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:27 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Nice figure, and nice group of soldiers in general.

4 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 am

Thanks a lot guys! Did some pastel work on the helmet last night, once it's good and dry I can update.
then onto the glasses.

View user profile

5 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

Really nice work, sir.

Looks good enough to be 1:1.

Diggin' the new avatar, too.

View user profile

6 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

dadrab wrote:Really nice work, sir.

Looks good enough to be 1:1.

Diggin' the new avatar, too.

Thanks a lot!

I really liked putting that combat correspondent together, gonna be using parts of him for this build and a companion for Joker.

View user profile

7 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

Cotswold sells a pair of those glasses, there not perfect but pretty close. I've used them on a couple of my 'Nan bashes.

View user profile

8 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

Talon65 wrote:Cotswold sells a pair of those glasses, there not perfect but pretty close. I've used them on a couple of my 'Nan bashes.

Oh sweet! I was considering trying one of those. Any chance I could see one of your bashes with the glasses in use? Would give me an idea as to how they'd work on the sculpt.

I was also considering a set of the DiD glasses that came with their Peter Stormare based German medic figure.

View user profile

9 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Would love too but I'm in the process of moving and all my figs where the first thing to get packed away. I know they used to have pics of them in their online catalog though.

View user profile

10 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:02 am

Got some more done.
Toned down the helmet cover with some pastel washes, then while still wet used a toothbrush to scrub it.

Then touched-up the graffiti with a fine-tipped sharpie.

Also took care of The Jungian thing.

View user profile

11 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nice work on that helmet. Might have to try that myself.

View user profile

12 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:36 am

Looks so good! Damn, what a great movie, and you're really nailing it on the figure. Every time I see the helmet and the peace button, I think about that line "I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir. The Jungian thing." Favorite moment. And the weathering on that helmet looks perfect.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

13 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Looking good so far. Full Metal Customs do glasses. Jon De Guzman is the contact on FB.

CHEERS!

View user profile

14 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks a lot guys!

I gave him a boot swap and then got to work on the glasses.

These won't be for him, but more a side experiment to see if I could make some birth control glasses, and I think I'm on the right track.

I used an old paper template of the glasses shrunk down to 1/6 size, then taped it onto a clear plastic soda bottle. Some cutting, and voila.

It's a little rough, but it's a first attempt.

I'm thinking that with Joker's pair I'll try using some thin gauge wire, then gluing some soda plastic in for lenses. We'll see, though.

Full Metal Customs does do incredible work but I think it's well out of my budget right now, especially if I don't want my wife to murder me, haha.

View user profile

15 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:38 am

Great looking Joker PickleMunkey, one of my favourite movies too, this is a Modine sculpt I did for a customer years ago, thought you might enjoy seeing it.

picture3567 by Peter Miles, on Flickr

picture3564 by Peter Miles, on Flickr

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

16 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 am

peter the painter wrote:Great looking Joker PickleMunkey, one of my favourite movies too, this is a Modine sculpt I did for a customer years ago, thought you might enjoy seeing it.
Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter! Aw man I remember when you first put that up, really wonderful work! You did an Animal Mother, too, didn't you?

View user profile

17 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks PickleMunkey, you have a good memory, yes I did an Animal Mother too, sold the figure a long time back, this was his head sculpt.
picture3541 by Peter Miles, on Flickr08.07.2018
This was the figure
picture3631_Large_Moment by Peter Miles, on Flickr

I like the hair on your Joker too.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

18 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Nice! I don't remember the movie that well but would HT Bruce Banner glasses work? I've seen them loose on ebay, they have that 50's/60's Rayban look with clear non tinted lenses.

View user profile

19 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks guys!

Peter, he head is just a stock DID Ricky Foster, with about 7 years of helmet hair matting his mowhawk down, haha.

Shovelchop, as to the glasses, Banners are sorta close but Joker's are a bit wider and rounder.

I'm gonna try my hand at making stuff first before taking the plunge to purchasing something.
http://www.elitebrigade.com/Eyeglasses-Black

These are pretty close in style though.

I'm not going for 100% accuracy but would like to get him pretty close, for sure.

View user profile

20 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 am

fantastic work on him. kinda wish we'd get a private joker figure, given damtoys recent release of animal mother...i could see this happening.

View user profile

21 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:19 am

Cobratrooper11 wrote:fantastic work on him. kinda wish we'd get a private joker figure, given damtoys recent release of animal mother...i could see this happening.

Thanks man! Yeah it would be really cool if we did get an official one.

Heck it could even happen in 1/12, as DAM is tackling a couple figures from Platoon in that scale.

View user profile

22 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 am

Gave Joker a boot and hand swap.

Gonna try and start the glasses tonight.

Also finished the 'birth control' glasses. Not 100% great but I'm satisfied with it as a first attempt.

View user profile

23 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:42 am

Okay I think Joker's finally all done.

My attempts at making a pair of glasses similar to his didn't pan out, so I bought a pair online, they were more Aviator style, but I did some trimming to make them look a bit more like his pair from the film.

I would like to find a more suitable Modine head, but this should do for now. May try wigging it at some point.

I'll be taking some better photos of him soon to better show him off.

View user profile

24 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Looks excellent. Well done, PickleMunkey!

25 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 am

GubernatorFan wrote:Looks excellent. Well done, PickleMunkey!

Thanks man! Took longer than I anticipated to finish him up, but got him there! Should be easy enough to finish up Animal Mother, next.

View user profile

26 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
He does look good,

I would see if you can find some Enterbay or Artoys Leon hands. I got a full set of them and they have a variety of poses that may better suit the figure than the hands you have.

CHEERS!

View user profile

27 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:48 am

Rogerbee wrote:He does look good,

I would see if you can find some Enterbay or Artoys Leon hands. I got a full set of them and they have a variety of poses that may better suit the figure than the hands you have.

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger!
Hmm that is a good idea. At the very least I can look and see what else I've got available on-hand that can work. I like the pose-ability of the rubber hands but the fingers can look mighty darn wonky sometimes.

View user profile

28 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Yeah, that is a problem with bendy fingers. The rubber doesn't match and the fingers are a little thick so they can fit a decent thickness of wire in.

I don't know why manufacturers don't offer sets of different hands in carded sets.

CHEERS!

View user profile

29 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Damn fine conclusion to a wonderful build.

A tip of my hat to you, sir.

View user profile

30 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm

dadrab wrote:Damn fine conclusion to a wonderful build.

A tip of my hat to you, sir.

Thanks a lot! Now I just gotta get a chance to get him and some of my other figures out for a little shoot.

View user profile

31 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Yeah, like I mentioned on instagram, those glasses were the right choice. Spot on. And it really does pass a decent likeness to Modine, and especially in the context is pretty recognizable.

32 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm

ReverendSpooky wrote:Yeah, like I mentioned on instagram, those glasses were the right choice.  Spot on.  And it really does pass a decent likeness to Modine, and especially in the context is pretty recognizable.  

Thanks, I'm pretty pumped how the glasses turned out, really helps bring him all together..

View user profile

33 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Nice work, PM!

View user profile

34 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 am

ZombieKev wrote:Nice work, PM!

Thanks man!

View user profile

35 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:58 am

He came out great!
I think the glasses worked out just fine, the quality of the rest of the detailing is so high you would need a side by side shot to even see any difference. ( IMO)
Love the helmet weathering, that really is the stuff!

View user profile

36 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 am

Pontiacivan wrote:He came out great!
I think the glasses worked out just fine, the quality of the rest of the detailing is so high you would need a side by side shot to even see any difference. ( IMO)
Love the helmet weathering, that really is the stuff!

Thanks a lot, man! Had some 1/1 issues pop up so hopefully I'll be able to do some last-minute tweaking and get some photos done this week.

View user profile

37 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am

Glad to finally wrap this fella up.

The toughest part of this whole figure was finding suitable glasses, most everything else was from parts I'd already had on-hand, which was great.

Most of the parts are ACE Workshop pieces, with the exception of suspenders, flak jacket and BDUs.

He's got a Dragon body, DID Ricky Foster head. I replaced the strap loops on the helmet with paperclip. The helmet cover is a weathered Battle Gear Toys item.

Also working on Animal Mother.

And I may as well show off updated pics of my Gump trio.

View user profile

38 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
The gang is certainly coming together.

39 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 am

very high level of awesomeness!!! All your work on the vietnam war and the movies treating this era are gorgeous, I'm fascinated by the accuracy and all the details! Awesome customs!

View user profile

40 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks a lot guys!

View user profile

41 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:00 am

Man! You are really putting the burner to that J79!
Glad to see so much progress.

View user profile

42 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:45 pm

These are real characters! I like the 'personalities' of the helmets with the writing and equipment. And I wonder what a Gomer Pyle figure would look like If he made it to Vietnam.
Have you thougt about printing film stills for backgrounds?

View user profile

43 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
These all turned out pretty cool. Nice work.

View user profile

44 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 am

Man, Joker really did come out spot on! And the posed pics look cool as hell. Awesome.

45 Re: Full Metal Jacket - Pvt. Joker on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:35 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
They are all looking great.

SSC did R Lee Ermey if they ever need chewing out.

CHEERS!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum