OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

first small steps with my 3d printer(sorry for posting in the wrong forum earlier)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

hi folks,

haven´t been very active for quite some time, even had my 3d printer around for about 3 months before putting it to use.
so i´m all the more happy to present you my newest, albeit small additions to my collection.

first is a 12.7 mm pistol from fallout. though i lack a usefull 3d model of a 14mm pistol this is a nice new piece for my fallout collection. sorry for the fingertip grip, the paint and coating wasn´t dry completely at the time of photo shooting, so i didn´t want any stains on the figures hands.

next is "the main piece" in my list of first steps. the ultra greatsword from the dark souls series. such a joy to use in game it simply deserved a place in my collection.
sadly i miscalculated the amount of greenstuff i needed to hide the seams, thought it would be covered better when painted, yet the paint made it even worse.
not much of a bummer since i can print the pieces anew over and over again.
i´ll add a pic of the blemishes, mainly the visible gaps where the pieces are put together and a little bit of warping along the edge at the top.
the later problem can be traced to the temperature of the printing bed, which i found out soon after.

hope you like ´em

cheers
tjolnir

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nice work. I really like the gun. Pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Well done for getting some decent results! I haven't a clue how to use one..LOL.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Like shovelchop said... congratulations on entering the world of 3D printing... I considered it but trying to self-learn 3D software design (admittedly on freeware) was so unpromising that I have given up for the time being. What you've managed so far looks pretty good, especially considering you are new to it.

imagining all the possibilities but sadly like Shovelchop - I wish I knew how to use one !

And, I really like the knight. It's one of the CooModel versions, is it not?

View user profile
thanks guys. glad you like them.
the printer i use right now is a sp200 from saarpri, a local company. for 1300€ it gets a rather good quality and the folks that build them are "just around the corner" should i need maintenance.
the printer itself is quite easy to use, apart from a few settings i'm not familiar with at the moment. but all in all its putting a 3d model on a sd cart and selecting print, thats it.
though the tricky part is how to get the models.

first you need to extract something from the game(provided they are extractable by an existing program). second you need "nifscope" in my case of fallout/skyrim models to save them as a 3d model file ending. third program is called autodesk something(sorry need to check my laptop for the name), it mainly fixes the holes after cutting the models in half, since they are hollow by default. the trick is to cut the objects apart to place them flat on the printing bed. last but not least is simplify 3d to make the file ready to print.

geez, quite some headaches prior to the printing itself Smile though it gets easier once you took a few tries.

the knight is indeed a coo model one, royal knight if i recall correctly. was kinda 1:1 copy of the dark souls knight armor, so no effort left here.

once i'm back from vacation on friday i'll jump back into fallout items again.
cheers
tjolnir

View user profile
Put a few of these on ebay to help offset the prototyping costs.

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Nice, lots of potential.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Really cool! Great start, and man, the possibilities really are endless. It opens up a ton of options going forward. I hadn't even thought of extracting the 3d files directly from a game, but that's a brilliant option over scratch building them in a 3d program. Can't wait to see where you take things from here!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
infact thats the only option available to me, couldn't build a 3d model of a rock if my life depended on it, let alone build complex objects from scratch.
the whole idea of a 3d printer was build around the premise of making it as much copy paste as possible. granted it has to fit the topic, but as far as weapons go fallout new vegas weapons of the new milenia mod from nexusmods should cover about "all" modern assault rifles as well as a couple of handguns and shotguns. so even for non fallout fans these can be used for various projects.

small issue i encountered thus far is since fallout 4 lets you mod weaponry in a more complex way, the models itself are single pieces that you need to fuse together by hand. this can be a bit tricky since you have to do this for both halves and they got to align perfectly lest they don't fit together after printing. no help here but your measurement.

good thing about fallout 4 weaponry is the size, fallout new vegas weapons seem a bit "slim" after printing and i havent found a good way to broaden them up .

next project in the far future would be either a ranger or visor from quake3/live/champions depending on a program that can convert or extract .pk3 files, skyrim and fallout use meshes from .ba .ba2, total differnt source material.
but technical stuff aside the possibilities are only limited by your patience.

cheers
tjolnir

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum