OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Tjolnir

agreed, just went to the hardware store and bought the closest thing to "gunmetal" they had as spraypaint. give it a try this weekend and printed another batch of rifles.

as for the fuming trick, since my printer and stuff is in the lived in part of my house, its a nono Smile besides, i'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to stuff like that Wink

Ephiane

Great Work at all the stuff ! The Fall Out Character and the Monsters are fantastic !

Tjolnir

so here´s a first attempt to fix the painting, good thing i can churn out a lot more rifles until i run out of filament, for i´m not yet happy with the result.
still i think it looks better than the silver version.

oh and i broke a rule of mine, "don´t work on your stuff when you aint sober" Laughing
but i still got a week ahead of me full of boring stuff at work and only half a weekend so i figured why not spice up your fallout playthrough with a good whiskey

anyway, here´s the so-so result. guess i got a hunt for the "real" gun-metal RAL color ahead of me, for my local hardware stores sure don´t offer them.

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 Y110

well the result in hand sorta looks like first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 2Q==maybe a bit on the bright side.

Nothing short of amazing and so much fun! It really looks like you're in the game first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 Icon_biggrin

Great Work at all the stuff ! The Fall Out Character and the Monsters are fantastic !

thanks alot, all your comments are motivating me to improve myself.

cheers
tjolnir

Tjolnir

hi folks, after a bigger break from 1/6 due to excessive gaming Very Happy another little update to my ever growing arsenal.

first a closer look at the small stuff and gadgets, namely a toaster (wow Rolling Eyes ) makeshift battery, wonderglue, nuka cola(will print a proper nuka banderole in time) and a classic plasma grenade(fallout 1/2 look)

last there´s a "small" energy cell, for coming laser pistol and stuff.

when it comes to size there´s a bit of scaling magic ingame that makes a pistol still fit into the hands of a power armor, whereas if you stick to 1/6 scale, the "finger" would never fit onto the trigger, the whole pistol would disappear into its "palm".

vice versa, tiny stuff like said energy cell can´t be printed to scale without losing all of its trademark shape and details and thus becoming a blob of plastic.

oh and still unpainted, totally forgot about the thingy until packing my painting stuff away for the day

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 Q110

next is the bigger artillery starting with a lever action shotgun, a ranger sequoia and, again classic looking, bozar.
i think i get the hang on hitting the gunmetal color, still room for lots of improvement. tried a bit of black washing
the "wooden" parts as well though it doesnt show on my cell phone camera.

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 Q210

hope you like em.

best regards
tjolnir

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice new additions. Things like that, properly deployed, can help bring so much more realism to a diorama.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Some really cool stuff. Really like the toaster.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 C8485110

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Nice new additions. Things like that, properly deployed, can help bring so much more realism to a diorama.
Some really cool stuff.

thanks guys

still, putting enough effort into a proper backdrop is one of my biggest flaws.

strangely enough i love tinkering with my figures for hours on end, but building houses and larger stuff always felt like a chore Neutral

got new sidewalks for my dio sitting in the basement for weeks now, still haven´t gotten my lazy butt up to apply them.

then again i´m not in a hurry and playing the actual games and getting a hang of my 3d printer even further takes a lot of time itself, so....

still, ever since i started with the hobby, buildings and backdrops were something i just wanted to get done so i could start displaying my figures and concentrating on their details, if that makes any sense

kind regards

ps:

Really like the toaster

well i guess i that case you´ll love the dog bowl i got on hold Laughing just kidding, but yeah the small things add a lot of life to the whole project and luckily we´re in an age were we don´t need to wait for a license holder to publish small stuff (what propably wouldn´t happen due to lack of mass appeal anyway)

makes me wonder why there never have been some "quality of life" addon packs for various themed figures.....

shazzdan

shazzdan
Tjolnir wrote:hi folks, after a bigger break from 1/6 due to excessive gaming Very Happy another little update to my ever growing arsenal.

Heh. All my spare time at the moment is being spent playing Spider-Man on the PS4. Having great fun.

first a closer look at the small stuff and gadgets, namely a toaster (wow Rolling Eyes ) makeshift battery, wonderglue, nuka cola(will print a proper nuka banderole in time) and a classic plasma grenade(fallout 1/2 look)

last there´s a "small" energy cell, for coming laser pistol and stuff. next is the bigger artillery starting with a lever action shotgun, a ranger sequoia and, again classic looking, bozar.

Looking good.

i think i get the hang on hitting the gunmetal color, still room for lots of improvement. tried a bit of black washing the "wooden" parts as well though it doesnt show on my cell phone camera.

Gunmetal grey is your friend. I use more of this than all other colours combined.

still, putting enough effort into a proper backdrop is one of my biggest flaws.

strangely enough i love tinkering with my figures for hours on end, but building houses and larger stuff always felt like a chore
I'm the same. I like making gadgets and accessories but have little interest in figures and costumes and none at all in backgrounds. It is causing problems with my attempts to finish off my blacksmiths workshop diorama.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir

thanks mate, glad you like 'em.

unfortunately i'll have to get gunmetal grey mixed (and they got a minimum required quantity)
for any hardware store around don't offer the correct ral color type. (might me an additional local thing though for its not the biggest city around)
figures a country like germany, constantly bitching about weapons laws, not being keen on displaying a color type based on em.
i guess there's the thing about having a lesser chance of getting shot, bummer though you'll get stabbed instead by the same goons fitting the cliche.
but hey, we got free healthcare o.O so you'll get stiched together free of charge in no time.

i'd gladly trade that in for an open carry license any day to keep the riffraff on the other side of the street instead.
but i digress Wink
next on the to do list is three weeks off in rehabilitation, for my raging tinnitus is driving me nuts, after that i gonna check up the prizes for some cans.
cheers

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi guys and gals,

long time no see, though i finally did some additions to my fallout diorama.

last few weeks i was suffering from my raging tinnitus more than usual, to the point that i needed a rehab.

thing is that, while that damn noise is keeping me on edge, its pretty hard to relax doing the stuff i normaly use to recouperate and recharge my batteries.

but back to topic, i´m putting together the final(or near final) pieces before i add the figures (if they all fit that is)

not everything is painted as of now, especially the mr handy fuel drum but the rest is pretty much done.

as you can see i´m running out of space =)
first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I110

found a nice model of a wall mounted terminal, fits the robco building perfectly

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I210

small achievement of mine, i think i finally got the colors right on at least one printed weapon Smile

on top is the larger laser rifle with the pistol counterpart below(printed and painted)

except the small details and decals, maybe i get them printed as stickers somewhere

here´s the thing with 3d printing 1/6 stuff though, below a certain size the printhead cant "draw" any smaller,
so the "small" energy cell that should be put into the pistol had to be upsized Sad

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I310

sometimes its the small things that bring life to a dio, got me a new wakemaster clock and a phone(not original fallout model)

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I410

true to fallout the bombs dont care in what situation or place they hit people, so someone had to take a dump
at that very moment i guess =)

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I510

will work on the alley a bit more in the future, in the meantime here´s a little sneak peak
oh and got a new molerat model.

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 I610

hope you like ´em so far

cheers
tjolnir

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really excellent work. I’m not familiar with how the weapons are supposed to look, but what you have looks pretty cool. And the little details are coming along nicely. To die on the toilet... that would be my luck.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 - Page 5 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
If it weren't so macabre (as it is supposed to be), I'd say gorgeous! You know what I mean. Thanks for sharing. It's a mighty fine project for sure.

Ovy

Ovy
Yay welcome back! I always loved the stories the environment (especially placement of skeletons) in Fallout told and you caught that perfectly.

(And.....sag mal ist das der Holzstuhl vom Tedi? Wink )

Ephiane

Ephiane
Hey Tjolnir ! Great Work as ever. The Skeleton in front of that old PC is a Mastershot. You made excellent promo for 3D Printers Smile Is it possible to enlarge / minimize the Originals of the Items You print ? In a special %

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very awesome, definitely conveys the atmosphere! great work!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Stryker2011 wrote:´I’m not familiar with how the weapons are supposed to look, but what you have looks pretty cool.

the laser rifle was an "original" from threezero included with the t-45 power armor figure, the laser pistol was the result of a 1:1 prop scaled down to size and spray painted.
all in all i´m quite happy with the limited stuff i got available, usually i´m awful when it comes to colors and mixing them.
GubernatorFan wrote:If it weren't so macabre (as it is supposed to be), I'd say gorgeous

i know what you mean, its what gives fallout that special something and makes the world after an atomic war much more immersive, still makes me play it every now and then.

Ovy wrote:sag mal ist das der Holzstuhl vom Tedi?

jawoll..... =) manchmal gibts da durchaus brauchbares zum basteln. der mülleimer ist übrigens auch n zweckendfremdeter aschenbecher.... was man so alles dort auftreibt.
vor ner weile hatten sie für 1,50€ glaub ich n netz mit halloween schaedeln, zwar etwas grösser als 1:6 aber für hintergründe ideal.

Ephiane wrote:The Skeleton in front of that old PC is a Mastershot

thank you and glad you like it, the skeleton itself though is a coo model. have it for a few years now, but recently the "mego melt" kicks in, especially in the joints. as i only use it for backdrops i don´t move the limbs that often, resulting in yet another leg breaking at the pelvis joint. luckily its a location you don´t see the details so i cut a spare peg from another figure down to size, gave it a hair dryer treatment and popped the leg back in. worked like a charm until the next joint turns stiff Rolling Eyes

as for the 3d printer, yeah its a fine toy, though it takes a lot of effort and time to get stuff running properly. the other day i had some severe issues with the "retraction" after having the printhead upgraded. the new thing didn´t keep the heat on the same level as the old one so the filament cooled down far to fast and resulted in a constant jam.
not a major thing, lowering the retraction settings worked like a charm. still, being the novice i am, i wouldn´t have thought of THAT as a fix myself, so i had to consult the company producing the printer.

luckily they´re almost a stones throw away and i keep it profitable for them by purchasing my filament and stuff solely from them, so they remain generous with the info.

the models i use are sometimes 1:1 scaled props which can be scaled down by using the 16,6% factor easily. but some thin layers, like scorpions mask right now, prove finicky sometimes. after scaling them down there appear some holes and gaps meaning the print would be flawed or even jam the printer.
its a hit or miss with constant monitoring of the printer being advised.
bummer when the print takes up to 30 hours for an item affraid

skywalkersaga wrote:Very awesome, definitely conveys the atmosphere! great work!

again, glad you like it. given the theme and the open world it´s only a small fraction of what makes fallout stand out in terms of atmosphere and immersion. don´t have the space, funds or skill to build any bigger Very Happy

so in the next few steps i´ll put some lose ends together, spread some debris and clutter and have a look at how many figures will fit the dio before they look "stuffed in" for the sake of it.

oh, before i forget, for everyone interested there´s a 3d model of a X01 power armor available on the net for purchase. haven´t made up my mind wether to spend 100$ on it or not, but the guy seems to put in a lot of effort to make it fit the threezero power armor frame, places for magnets included.

kind regards
tjolnir

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum